PDA

View Full Version : ritchey breakaway quick disconnect

weisan
06-19-2010, 08:19 PM
I got a set of quick disconnects (brake, deraileurs) but I don't know how to use them. Where is the most logical place to put them to faciliate tear down and rebuild?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dimg/thm/t448_d994c94d3e562d725d2e27ec85a983cc.jpg

oldpotatoe
06-20-2010, 07:19 AM
I got a set of quick disconnects (brake, deraileurs) but I don't know how to use them. Where is the most logical place to put them to faciliate tear down and rebuild?

http://www.ritcheylogic.com/dimg/thm/t448_d994c94d3e562d725d2e27ec85a983cc.jpg

Put the der ones about 3/4 down the down tube, and the brake one just in front of the rear brake cable housing stop. The one with the two set screws is the rearbrake one, the others for the ders. Need extra der(2) and brake(1) cable. Unscrew the splitter, cut the der cable, insert the cable end into the
splitter just past the set screw, tighten. Another der cable thru the other end of the splitter, screw ends of the splitter together, install der cable mormally. If this makes no sense(it's a bit hard to describe), get thee to a decent bike shop, it's what they do.

weisan
06-20-2010, 08:03 AM
Put the der ones about 3/4 down the down tube, and the brake one just in front of the rear brake cable housing stop. The one with the two set screws is the rearbrake one, the others for the ders. Need extra der(2) and brake(1) cable. Unscrew the splitter, cut the der cable, insert the cable end into the
splitter just past the set screw, tighten. Another der cable thru the other end of the splitter, screw ends of the splitter together, install der cable mormally. If this makes no sense(it's a bit hard to describe), get thee to a decent bike shop, it's what they do.
old-pal,

As I sat down this morning and looked at the thingy again, I finally figured out what to do with it and now with your explanation, it makes even more sense!!

thanks pal for taking the time to respond. I really appreciate it.

weisan

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 12:23 PM
I figured I would revive this old thread rather than starting a new one (recycling pixels and all...).

Do the Ritchey quick connects need either Shimano or Campy heads, or will either work (this is what I assume). I'm all Campy, and I need to know if I need Shimano road cables. does the smaller Campy head size make it sit funny? On a CX frame I figure I can put all three of these in the same area on the top tube without them catching on each other?

vqdriver
01-17-2013, 02:56 PM
i think you cut the cable and these connect to the two cut ends, away from the heads. shouldn't matter which cable you use.

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 03:04 PM
I don't think so, the end of the cut cable from the shifter bolts into this, then another cable head slides into the screw cap, and goes on to the RD. Same thing with brakes. One head goes into the splitter (unless I totally don't understand it...which is not impossible).

i think you cut the cable and these connect to the two cut ends, away from the heads. shouldn't matter which cable you use.

vqdriver
01-17-2013, 03:06 PM
I don't think so, the end of the cut cable from the shifter bolts into this, then another cable head slides into the screw cap, and goes on to the RD. Same thing with brakes. One head goes into the splitter (unless I totally don't understand it...which is not impossible).

gotcha

so you need twice the cables

christian
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
so you need twice the cablesAt that point, I'd just save the money and fly private.

DRZRM
01-17-2013, 03:11 PM
Yeah, but you can buy the short ones to save a bit. I just don't know whether the second ones need to be shimano.

gotcha

so you need twice the cables

vqdriver
01-17-2013, 03:13 PM
At that point, I'd just save the money and fly private.

:p

oldpotatoe
01-17-2013, 04:39 PM
I figured I would revive this old thread rather than starting a new one (recycling pixels and all...).

Do the Ritchey quick connects need either Shimano or Campy heads, or will either work (this is what I assume). I'm all Campy, and I need to know if I need Shimano road cables. does the smaller Campy head size make it sit funny? On a CX frame I figure I can put all three of these in the same area on the top tube without them catching on each other?

Still need Campag specific in Campag levers, brake and der but the splitters can use anything.

Alternate them a wee bit, recognizing they move forward and aft a wee bit as you shift and brake.

oldpotatoe
01-17-2013, 04:45 PM

Not exactly...Cut the cable, wee set screws hold onto the cut cable end. Head of cabale goes into the screw in thing, that screws into the splitter you just installed the cable end into-screws in ..leaving the cable to go to the der or brake.

false_Aest
10-15-2018, 01:22 PM
Is there any issue using the Ritchey splitters with PTFE cables?

Not sure if the slickness might be too slick.

weisan
10-15-2018, 01:31 PM
wow

Mark McM
10-15-2018, 01:42 PM
Is there any issue using the Ritchey splitters with PTFE cables?

Not sure if the slickness might be too slick.

In the worst case, you can scrape the PTFE coating off in the area it is clamped.

false_Aest
10-15-2018, 02:11 PM
wow

whut?

weisan
10-15-2018, 02:13 PM
I doubt you gonna have any issue. You screw the little bolts in until they bite into the cable, whatever coating you might have there, they are broken up and done away with.

R3awak3n
10-15-2018, 03:33 PM
+1, I think it will be just fine. 2 little bolts crush the cable and will do their job

false_Aest
10-15-2018, 11:53 PM
thanks yall

oldpotatoe
10-16-2018, 06:24 AM
wow

from 2o13, when 'pals' were 'pals'..:eek:

false_Aest
10-16-2018, 09:10 AM
from 2o13, when 'pals' were 'pals'..:eek:

yah bruh! There's a treasure trove of info here!

Can you imagine how many fewer threads we'd have if we all used the search function before we created a new thread?