PDA

View Full Version : Cycling in the Ft Belvoir area

ahumblecycler
06-18-2010, 07:42 PM
To the community,

I know we have a geographically dispersed membership with a majority in the CA state, but I am also aware that some are on the east coast. I may be facing my first cross roads since leaving graduate school, and that road may take me to Fort Belvoir. For those in that area, please chime in about the cycling culture, climate, and environment. Any and all feedback is welcomed and would be most appreciative.

Thanks from a confused, somewhat scared and yet excited cyclist.

sc53
06-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Ft Belvoir itself is a beautiful post with lots of quiet roadways and even has a nature preserve on Accotink Bay with miles-long hiking trails through forest, grassy meadows, and alongside wetlands and marshes. Getting to and from the post via bike would be problematic as it sits right off of Route 1, where even cars fear to tread. But check out Potomac Pedalers and Oxon Hill Bike Club for organized club rides of all levels in and around the DC metro area. Oh, and the climate: we had 3 huge blizzards this winter (one of them shut down the Fed govt for 4 1/2 days) and are currently in the middle of a hot, hazy, humid stretch more typical of July and August. So you will definitely experience all four seasons, and then some.

djg
06-19-2010, 09:12 AM
You've got some good roads in the area, and some mtb stuff nearby as well. You'll find local folks to ride with and -- in truth -- you're part of the larger DC metro area which has a large and pretty varied cycling community.

Whether is pretty good, with quirks. We're a mix of north and south. You can ride year-round, basically, but any given winter might provide anywhere from a couple of 3 day stints with snow and ice on the roads to a couple of blizzards that sock things in for a week or more each. This past winter was a record. I figure, typically, if you're happy to ride outside with winter gear in the 30s or so, but don't want to do the studded tires on snow and ice thing (DC drivers are completely incompetent when it comes to snow driving), then you'll get 11 months plus on the road.

Summer can be hot and humid. Not necessarily unremittingly so, like in Florida and some other parts of the south, but you'll get stretches of seriously hot & humid in July & August and parts of June as well. A couple of days ago I was having a serious shvitz. Yesterday was beautiful. You can ride throughout the summer, without any heroics, especially if you hydrate and avoid the mid-afternoon.

Terrain is mostly rollers, but it's a short drive to coastal plain, and a short drive to some real climbs around skyline drive and such.

wgp
06-19-2010, 12:16 PM
Just a quick reply - there are other options besides Route 1 for entering Ft. Belvoir, including off the GW Parkway which ends at Mt. Vernon (accompanying bike trail alongside the Parkway). Very beautiful ride. I ride with a group that goes every Sunday morning from Ft. Hunt Park, right near there, and we usually cut through Ft. Belvoir on our rides, depending on where we are going.

Get in touch once you arrive! Lots of great riding in this area.

avalonracing
06-19-2010, 12:44 PM
We can perfect springs and falls along with mild winters and summers. But we can also have a multiple blizzard winter (as we did this year) and record wet spring (as we did this year) and hot, humid summers (as it looks like we are facing this year).

This area is very dense and congested but there are nice places to ride if you know where to look.

ahumblecycler
06-19-2010, 04:53 PM
I really appreciate everyone chiming in on my question. I do not know if will transfer to this location, and if I do, when the transfer will occur. I do know change is going to occur, but I do not know where I will end up.

I recall the blizzard that shut down my HQ ... as I continued to go to my office at Ft Leavenworth. And then a flurry of e-mails demanding immediate turn around ... jeez!