PDA

View Full Version : Was almost set to go for a ride on my CDA

bobswire
06-17-2010, 12:09 PM
I was already to go for a ride on a new CDA (new to me actually a 2007) I had just finished building up but for one small problem, all I had were 7/8/9 speed chains. :crap:

Back on the ceiling she goes till I get a chain.

BumbleBeeDave
06-17-2010, 12:21 PM
. . . I'm DROOLING. That's a REALLY nice looking bike!

The Euskatel-Euskadi model? :p

BBD

snah
06-18-2010, 07:29 AM
. . . I'm DROOLING. That's a REALLY nice looking bike!

The Euskatel-Euskadi model? :p

BBD

Agreed, that's a beautifully done bike! :beer:

thegunner
06-18-2010, 07:50 AM
I was already to go for a ride on a new CDA (new to me actually a 2007) I had just finished building up but for one small problem, all I had were 7/8/9 speed chains. :crap:

i've... at one point used a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed rig as a temporary solution. i know, i know :no:

but it works well enough to let you try it...

bobswire
06-18-2010, 08:42 AM
i've... at one point used a 9 speed chain on a 10 speed rig as a temporary solution. i know, i know :no:

but it works well enough to let you try it...

I thought so too but it kept getting hung up between the cassette sprockets so I wasn't going to risk ruining a new cassette/ derailleur/chain wheel.
The chain was supposed to be the equivalent of 105 9 speed NOS HG 90.

I ordered an Ultegra 6700 10 speed and if I'm in luck it'll arrive today. In the meantime I have other bikes I can ride.

97CSI
06-18-2010, 02:41 PM
. . . I'm DROOLING. That's a REALLY nice looking bike! BBDIndeed. It simply 'works'.

oldpotatoe
06-19-2010, 08:11 AM
I thought so too but it kept getting hung up between the cassette sprockets so I wasn't going to risk ruining a new cassette/ derailleur/chain wheel.
The chain was supposed to be the equivalent of 105 9 speed NOS HG 90.

I ordered an Ultegra 6700 10 speed and if I'm in luck it'll arrive today. In the meantime I have other bikes I can ride.

"Ordered"?? No bike shop around that has 10s chains? If they do, is the few $ saved worth not being able to ride the bike? Sorry, dongetit. All 10s chains are the same dimension...KMC, shimano, Campagnolo, Wipperman...any level, any 10s chain would work fine. It is a consumable afterall.

bobswire
06-19-2010, 09:12 AM
"Ordered"?? No bike shop around that has 10s chains? If they do, is the few $ saved worth not being able to ride the bike? Sorry, dongetit. All 10s chains are the same dimension...KMC, shimano, Campagnolo, Wipperman...any level, any 10s chain would work fine. It is a consumable afterall.

Well maybe spending and extra $20-30 is not a big thing to you besides all chains are not equal.

Anyway patience is a virtue and I got the chain delivered in two days and can confirm the bike rides as nice as it looks.

palincss
06-19-2010, 09:58 AM

Are 10 speed chains some sort of exotic item you can't find in local bike shops?

bobswire
06-19-2010, 12:52 PM
Are 10 speed chains some sort of exotic item you can't find in local bike shops?

Someone failed to read the post right before this one. Kinda like coming into the end of a conversation and expressing an opinion without having all the facts. :no:

97CSI
06-19-2010, 02:08 PM
........and can confirm the bike rides as nice as it looks.That's the important part. Enjoy!!

Lucky Jack
06-20-2010, 05:40 AM
Sharp looking CDA pal ........ I can't say how much I'm enjoying it's red CDA cousin !!! Of course, not to rub it in, but I have a chain. :D

oldpotatoe
06-20-2010, 07:13 AM
Well maybe spending and extra $20-30 is not a big thing to you besides all chains are not equal.

Anyway patience is a virtue and I got the chain delivered in two days and can confirm the bike rides as nice as it looks.

Whatever, not trying to beat this horse but I guess buying a 6700 chain for $15(if you saved $30) is pretty amazing.

bobswire
06-20-2010, 08:55 AM
Whatever, not trying to beat this horse but I guess buying a 6700 chain for $15(if you saved $30) is pretty amazing.

Sure you are ...

FYI local shops in San Francisco sell them anywhere from $50 on up, got mine for $31 on the net delivered.Ebay. So yeah I saved $19 at least. Now if I had money to burn no problem but being retired I have to count my pennies.