PDA

View Full Version : Helmet question..

oldguy00
06-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Do some helmets sit higher up on the head than others?
I've been using Specialized and Giro helmets, and perhaps due to my compact head.....they seem to sit low enough that the 'fit cage' in the back always is very low and interferes with the arms of whatever sunglasses I am using. I've used Oakley and Giro sunglasses, many models. Basically the ends of the arms hit the cage. Of course the arms aren't long enough to fit right over the cage, just long enough to almost fit over, so they keep popping around...
I'm thinking the solution is to find a different fitting helmet system, or cut the arms of the sunglasses shorter.....
Anyone else have this issue???
Thx!

djg
06-17-2010, 07:12 AM
So . . . I know it's not supposed to look pro, but how about just tucking the arms and earpieces under the straps?

oldguy00
06-17-2010, 07:25 AM
So . . . I know it's not supposed to look pro, but how about just tucking the arms and earpieces under the straps?

Thats not the issue. Doesn't matter if the arms are over or under the straps, the very ends of the arms still hit the plastic rear fit cage on the helmets!
I look 'pro' regardless....... :p

Tim
06-17-2010, 08:08 AM
I actually like the fact that the sunglasses' arms cover the plastic cage on the helmet. I also wear Giro helmets and use Oakley glasses, like you. I find that by having the ends of the arms cover the plastic, it holds the glasses better. If you hate this, you might be interested in Oakley Jawbones glasses (yes, they're pricey). The arms are shorter and don't end up covering the plastic of the helmet.

oldguy00
06-17-2010, 08:23 AM
I actually like the fact that the sunglasses' arms cover the plastic cage on the helmet. I also wear Giro helmets and use Oakley glasses, like you. I find that by having the ends of the arms cover the plastic, it holds the glasses better. If you hate this, you might be interested in Oakley Jawbones glasses (yes, they're pricey). The arms are shorter and don't end up covering the plastic of the helmet.

The prob is that, I guess based on my noggin dimensions, the arms don't really fit over the plastic, they are basically just long enough that the last few mm's of the arms hit the plastic, then continually pop onto and off the plastic.
If the arms were an extra cm longer or shorter, I'd be OK...

I'll see if I can try on a pair of the jawbones..

Ken Robb
06-17-2010, 11:09 AM
I think to be certified all helmets have to cover certain areas of your head. If your helmet seems to ride too low on your head try different sizes, brands, and models and I'll bet you find one that fits well.

Peter P.
06-17-2010, 09:12 PM
Try shortening the earstems on your glasses, as you suggested.

My guess is, the stems have a certain length and curvature to hold securely to a head circumference. So will removing length cause them to fit loosely? You need to try it to find out. Just shorten in small increments.

Charles M
06-18-2010, 08:59 AM
YES

Lots of people have no issues but "squat heads" can benefit by looking around a bit...

Different helmets with different retention systems will sit differently and interfere more or less with glasses. The biggest culrits are designs with pieces that attatch along the sides close to the front and run all the way round to the back... It makes for a nice fit, but it's much more prone to sit in the space your glases do...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/charles/tech/spec2ret.jpg

Lots of helmet retention systems are adjustable up-down in back and that changed the angle of the piece that usually runs from your temple area(ish) around to the back.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/head/gh09lasret.jpg

Some new designs like Lazer have a whole different retention system that holds a helmet in a different way all together.

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/head/gh09lazadj1.jpg

the very teeny cable tightens the whole mech and holds the helmet suspended off your hear instead of simply smashing your head into the front of the helmet (which is how just about every other retention system works).

Most folks don't have many problems with any designs, but some folks benefit from trying helmets on...

tribuddha
06-18-2010, 09:42 PM
Just got a new lazer and I agree with Pez.. try on some different brands.. I really like the lazer fit system..I also had a Limar and liked that too.. The shop where I bought my lazer told me that how the helmet fits ( or doesn't) is based on the shape of the head they used to ( round vs. oval??) and that shape and the suspension system are what makes for a comfy fit.. so like shoes gotta try some diffrent brands to see what fits you..