PDA

View Full Version : OT: (kinda) Transporting bikes in a Honda Element

SoCalSteve
06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
Hi all,

My wife is buying a Honda Element today. I know many of you have them.

Please tell me the best way to transport bike(s) in this vehicle. I believe you can buy a fork mount for it that installs on the floor of the vehicle and that you can "hang" a bike along the side when the rear seats are folded up. Also, I imagine you could just fold the seats up and lay the bikes flat with packing blankets...

The fork mount doesnt seem like a great option for us as then the mounts stick up all the time, yes? And, how do you actually hang them along the sides by the rear seat folded up?

Any and all suggestions welcomed. Pictures would be great as well.

Thank you all in advance,

Steve

MarcusPless
06-16-2010, 10:51 AM
My Element has a roof rack for short distances or when I need to carry more than 2 people (driver + passenger). Saves me from messing around with the rear seats.

For a longer trip, especially if I want the two bikes inside the car, I remove the rear seats and roll the bikes in, and loop a bungee from the top tube through the handles that the rear seats can hook onto when folded up. It doesn't get any easier to load/unload bikes, unless you're comparing it to tossing a bike in the back of a truck. Plenty of room for baggage in the middle between the two bikes. I don't even need to remove wheels or lower saddles.

I know a few people that simply cut a 2x4 to some reasonable width and bolted two fork mounts to the 2x4. Nothing was attached to the Element. When they're not hauling bikes the 2x4 sits in the garage.

Elements can carry a LOT of stuff with the rear seats removed. A couple of weeks ago we to the bike build for Kimberlee's Bikes for Kids (http://kimsbikes.org). 400 kids bikes were being assembled, with 800 tires needing to be inflated. I flipped up the Element seats and rolled my compressor with 33 gallon tank right into the back of the Element along with all of the hoses and connectors to run three inflators all night long. Piece of cake with the Element, and the people that didn't have to hand pump 800 tires were glad I did. :D

--Marcus

false_Aest
06-16-2010, 10:54 AM
More than a few people I know have just bolted on of these (http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/TruckBed/4880.aspx) to a 2x4. When you're done with bike stuff you take the entire 2x4 out and lean it in the garage.

I just mounted a similar system for the truck. It's not pretty but it works.

Lovetoclimb
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
The team went to from Cincinnati OH to Asheville NC for spring training this year. Packed it down with 3 bikes (59cm, 58 cm, 55 cm) 2 spare sets of wheels, and luggage. The bikes went in standing up, bungied to the side that had the seat folded against the wall, and everything else was tetris'd in. On the return trip in the interest of comfort we bought a cheap trunk rack that held two of the bikes securely. Also to note, we were driving up and down some 3-4k mountain roads to our cabin where the "real-time" AWD was absolutely essential.

I highly recommend the vehicle, and have been looking for a used one in my budget.

pdmtong
06-16-2010, 11:04 AM
mine is less pretty...I pipe clamped a yakima bar to a 2x4 and then put my old yakima fork blocks on it. same idea as false_aests but with the added benefit of being able to slide the fork mount along the bar to move it for road or mtn bikes. I had all the pieces form my guttered roof rack days, so out of pocket cost was only the wood.

Z3c
06-16-2010, 11:32 AM
Call me simple; if I am not driving too far, I simply wedge the rear bike wheel between one of the front seats and the console, lock the front brake with the barrel adj. and off I go.. No wheels off, simply open the front QR and I am ready to ride.

Be careful, you will become attached to this vehicle..

Scott

Ralph
06-16-2010, 11:58 AM
I also love my 2010 Element. I keep one of the rear seats out all the time. Usually the one behind the driver. That way I can haul my bike, and my grandkid's bike, with him in back seat. If I'm going somewhere with an adult and two bikes, I can just fold a rear seat up against the side, or go with both seats out. I prefer not to drive a lot with the rear seat behind the passenger folded up because it creates a tad of a blind spot. This summer I will probably do a cross country drive from Florida with our bikes and luggage, pick my wife and daughter up somewhere out west, and for that trip I will probably go with the seat behind the driver folded up, and the other one removed. As you can tell....seating and hauling is very versatile. From floor to ceiling is about 42", plenty to just roll a bike in.

Like others above, I also use a fork and wheel mount bolted to a board with recessed bolt heads. I have two of them, and use simple cheap tie down straps from Harbor Freight. There are good strong enough tie down spots at rear and on side. And the recessed floor rail makes another good spot. I don't want a bike taking my head off in a crash. Otherwise you could just bungy them in OK.

I have 3 nice vehicles, and my Element is the simplest and cheapest of them all, and the one I always drive everywhere. Can you tell I love our E!!

Ray
06-16-2010, 12:06 PM
More than a few people I know have just bolted on of these (http://www.thule.com/en/US/Products/BikeCarriers/TruckBed/4880.aspx) to a 2x4. When you're done with bike stuff you take the entire 2x4 out and lean it in the garage.

I just mounted a similar system for the truck. It's not pretty but it works.
That's what I did when I had an Odyssey, its what I do with my Honda Fit (had to move the mounts closer together and cut the 2x4 to shorten it a bit) and if I ever got an Element (highly unlikely), I'd likely do the same thing. No need to have the bikes actually nailed down to the car - just something to keep 'em upright and from bouncing around against each other.

-Ray

Ralph
06-16-2010, 12:40 PM
http://www.nashbar.com/bikes/Product_10053_10052_142325_-1_201538_10000_200452

I have two of these fork and wheel mount sets attached to boards. Then use tie down straps to keep bikes tight and secure. They don't move around. I put the wheel mount so the wheel rides between the fork and handlebar drop.

06-16-2010, 01:02 PM
The rear seats in an Element are really bulky when just folded up to the sides, plus the one on the right really blocks the driver's view. I can take three riders in an Element with three or four bikes, rollers, spare wheels, kit bags, etc.. Here's what I use:

http://www.biketote.com/store/item.php?item=73

This has an adjustable rail width (I may not have picked the exact unit but you can see the range of versions they have) and levers on the end to actuate some pressure cups against the sides of the rear compartment. Thus it pops out in seconds, but also won't slip around or bounce like a 2x4 will. You can customize it infinitely with multiple fork mounts, front wheel mounts, etc. I can also pop it out and put it in the bed of my Super Duty. Very versatile.

If you aren't carrying very big frames, consider taking some ply and carpet and building a 6-8 inch riser in the rear compartment that the bikes and rack sit on top of. That way you have a space for rollers underneath. With some carpet it keeps everything quiet and works really well.

I hate bikes on roof racks because of rain and rash risk, so we'll sometimes use a Thule or similar torpedo roof storage container to hold extra kit bags, rollers, and wheels. We have one that fits five double-wheel bags plus two pairs of rollers with loads of room for kit bags. It's just slightly wider than the Thule (which is a bit on the narrow side -- made more for skiers than for cyclists).

merlinmurph
06-16-2010, 01:31 PM
Some of this you may have already read...

My right rear seat is semi-permanently removed for reasons already mentioned (blind spot when folded up). The left seat is semi-permanently folded up. I find one bike loads on this side easier, using the seat as a pad and a spacer. Bungee the top of the seat stay to a tie-down on the side. Takes 10 seconds, no fork mounts.

For two bikes and when space is at a premium (like last year's trip to Cape Breton I. - go now!), I have fork mounts mounted to old Thule bars that I've cut short. Others have done something similar, whatever works. Both seats are removed. I then nest the two bikes on one side - one facing forwards and the other right next to it facing back. You'll have to try different combinations to see which way works best, but when you do, the bikes will take a minumum of space. I'll put a stuffed sleeping bag (or something soft and cushy) somewhere between the bikes to avoid scratches.

Enjoy your vehicle, it's great for this kind of stuff.
Murph

csm
06-16-2010, 02:36 PM
I love me E. it is my second one.
I just have one seat folded up and lean the bikes against it. bungee thru the grab handles back there and away I go.
I can get my 57 cm legend and lg fargo in there without taking the front wheel off either; my Klein palamino (lg too I think) needs the wheel off.

CGReid
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
Loved our Element also, one of the very first in our town. if you are carrying 3 bikes or less for an hour or so, just remove the right rear seat and flip up the drivers side rear seat, leave the wheels on and run a bungee thru the biner. i have to drop the seat on the mtb's but not the wheels.
BTW - our only prob on long trips was that crosswinds can make for involuntary lane changes if you are not on your toes :beer:

that guy
06-16-2010, 03:48 PM
I just have one seat folded up and lean the bikes against it. bungee thru the grab handles back there and away I go.

This is how I do it if it's just me and one or two bikes. The bungee will keep it standing up and from flopping around. Works great and requires to tools, parts or wheel removal. :banana:

My E was recently totaled (by a crackhead in a stolen car while parked in front of my house) and I'm shopping for another one. Awesome car.

Ahneida Ride
06-16-2010, 05:48 PM
My elephant easily swallows my 64 Legend ...

Just use a rope to secure to side ....

The elephant is an amazing little car.

Should have less road noise in back .... get the stick ... tons of fun.

dave thompson
06-16-2010, 06:45 PM
The rear seats in an Element are really bulky when just folded up to the sides, plus the one on the right really blocks the driver's view. I can take three riders in an Element with three or four bikes, rollers, spare wheels, kit bags, etc.. Here's what I use:

http://www.biketote.com/store/item.php?item=73

This has an adjustable rail width (I may not have picked the exact unit but you can see the range of versions they have) and levers on the end to actuate some pressure cups against the sides of the rear compartment. Thus it pops out in seconds, but also won't slip around or bounce like a 2x4 will. You can customize it infinitely with multiple fork mounts, front wheel mounts, etc. I can also pop it out and put it in the bed of my Super Duty. Very versatile.
I'll add a very strong endorsement to the above. I bought a BikeTote at the Seattle Bike show early this Spring and my unit has been in continuous service since. This extremely well designed and made device allows us to flexibly use our mini-van as a secure bike transport when required and removes when necessary and re installs in seconds. I also have to add the the customer service BikeTote has given me when I needed an exchange and for questions has been superior to most other companies I've been in contact with.

http://img340.imageshack.us/img340/3171/vantj.jpg (http://img340.imageshack.us/i/vantj.jpg/)

SoCalSteve
06-16-2010, 06:56 PM
Thank you all for your great suggestions!

She picked up the car a few hours ago and I will show her this thread.

I really like the Dave T's bike tote thingy since I'd probably cut a finger off if I tried to cut a 2 x 4 to the proper length. Looks like its a very "plug and play" accessory.

Thanks again!

Steve

dvs cycles
06-16-2010, 07:15 PM
My buddy bought one a few years ago and I made him a mount for 2 bikes.
We took out the cover in the floor for the spare and cut out a piece of 3/4 plywood to the same exact shape. Used t-nuts and bolts to attach forkmounts so they would easily be removed.
I think he could turn the wood over when he didn't need the mounts without removing them.
His was the base model and had no carpet. :beer:

csm
06-16-2010, 08:20 PM
This is how I do it if it's just me and one or two bikes. The bungee will keep it standing up and from flopping around. Works great and requires to tools, parts or wheel removal. :banana:

My E was recently totaled (by a crackhead in a stolen car while parked in front of my house) and I'm shopping for another one. Awesome car.

do you post on the eoc forum? there was a post about a crackhead hitting an E over there....

1happygirl
06-16-2010, 09:19 PM
okay everyone has already mentioned, but lemme second the renniks carrier (biketote.com)

no drilling can transfer from car to car and doesnt mar up your vehicle.

my car was totaled but not a scratch on the bike or the carrier (or the car in the spot where the carrier was placed)

+10 on the renniks