PDA

View Full Version : What do you want?

David Kirk
06-15-2010, 09:51 AM
It seems that there are a few ways new and better products come to market -

* there is an obvious need and the company tries to meet it.

* the company has an idea for a new product that no one even knows they need.

* customers make direct requests for a product that the companies didn't know anyone needed/wanted.

It's this last one I'm interested in. Serotta forum members are extremely fortunate to have the direct ear of the good folks at Serotta and all the other lurker companies that hang here so this is a good place to throw out your ideas for things none of them imagined you needed.

So....... what do you want? Anything goes.

Dave

sg8357
06-15-2010, 10:07 AM
5 speed cassette hub, 120mm spacing, since decent freewheels are extinct.

9s backfit kits for current Campy stuff, convert your 11s Chorus to 9s,
better yet 9s Shimano spacing.

Hammered Ti fenders with Berthoud hardware.

Mevici PX-10 with Paul Racer M brakes. (actually a PY-10, brazed on brakes)

Dura-Ace close ratio hub gear, like a Sturmey FC and FM.

Ken Robb
06-15-2010, 10:13 AM
5 speed cassette hub, 120mm spacing, since decent freewheels are extinct.

Maybe I've just been lucky but I have no complaints with the 7spd. Sunrace freewheels I'm using. Their 14-28 helps me deal with a 42 tooth "small" ring too.

SamIAm
06-15-2010, 10:21 AM
I would like an audible alarm if the tire pressure dips below a preset value. I was thinking something with the form factor of a valve extender.

rpm
06-15-2010, 10:34 AM
1.The top of the line tires from Conti (4000) and Michelin (Prorace) in 28 and 32 sizes. Also, these same tires in tubeless versions.

2. Some good carbon forks made to fit those tires and fenders.

3. Lightweight full fenders that fit securely and don't rattle but are truly EZ on and EZ off in a minute.

4. Modern lightweight cranks (not TA copies) with a wide variety of chainring options from 28 to 53, so you could run ranges like a 46/28.

shinomaster
06-15-2010, 10:45 AM
I want a two pound steel frame that's as durable as a four pound frame, which accelerates, and climbs like a stiff aluminum frame, but still rides comfortably and descends like a four pound steel frame. Under $2000 would be nice too. :)

don'TreadOnMe
06-15-2010, 10:52 AM
A road helmet that not only allows good air flow & safely protects your noggin, but it also AERO.
Everybody buys this expensive frame and those expensive wheels, but who ever worries about how un-aero that parachute-bucket on top of your head is?
Bell/Giro/Lazer/????, hopefully they're listening.

Instant speed for not a lot of coin.

ergott
06-15-2010, 10:59 AM
A road helmet that not only allows good air flow & safely protects your noggin, but it also AERO.
Everybody buys this expensive frame and those expensive wheels, but who ever worries about how un-aero that parachute-bucket on top of your head is?
Bell/Giro/Lazer/????, hopefully they're listening.

Instant speed for not a lot of coin.

No reason why your couldn't use this in a road race.

http://bikesport.com/images/library/large/giro_advantage2_blk_chrcl_08_m.jpg

timto
06-15-2010, 11:25 AM
**********NON BIKE RELATED**************
I wish there was a small sized, well made passenger Van - something not huge and bulky but still fits 6.

-Something like the old VW http://vw-parts.uneedapart.com/images/vw-microbus-parts.jpg size but modernized.
-Small and easy to park
-No giant expansive hood to look over
-Firmer suspension for decent handling/lane changes/cornering
-Easy to drive
-Lighter weight for fuel economy
-Sliding doors on the sides, split tailgate style rear (for putting on bike shoes!)
-Low to the ground easy for kids/older folk to enter
-panorama windows optional
-something I can buy in NA (not importing a RHD japanese van!)

Current vans seem too roomy, have bad driving manners and are heavy - resulting in larger engines, more gas to haul it all around with.

That's my wish from a biker dad / mom with two kids POV who want to remain 1 vehicle in a busy metropolitan area where a honking 'mini' van (caravan, sienna, odyssey) is out of place.

We use a mid-size wagon now.

**********BIKE RELATED**************
What Shino said
Plus Road bikes with some kind of simple rear suspension (very small amounts - DK you made me a believer in this area)

zap
06-15-2010, 11:30 AM
Sweet looking, light carbon composite tandem crankset.

DreaminJohn
06-15-2010, 11:49 AM
...much like the Cannondale Euro-only model discussed here last week.

2. Some sort of integrated lock system for bicycles. Wouldn't have to be NYC bullet-proof, just give me piece of mind when I run into the store.

merckx
06-15-2010, 11:52 AM
Neutron tubulars...............again!

bozman
06-15-2010, 11:59 AM
an awd wagon that seats five comfortably and gets 50+ mpg. seriously.

1centaur
06-15-2010, 12:17 PM
A light seat post with setback that adjusts from 20-30 while leaving the clamp in the middle of the rails with two-bolt (infinite and easy) adjustment a la Thomson.

Maybe a hard rubber seat clamp that is less likely to creak than metal-on-metal or metal-on-carbon fiber.

An integrated seat post topper that's light enough to make the ISP a real weight saver while also having a great angle adjustment mechanism, a la Thomson.

A creak isolating noise detection system that LBS's could own that would quickly locate the source of unwanted noise within a cm.

Factory-authorized independent custom and template frame painters so I can get the factory warranty on a new frame without accepting the existing paint job.

Carbon fiber wheel spokes that are stronger (effectively unbreakable even in a crash) and lighter than metal spokes.

Custom one-off cycling jerseys with complex graphics designed via Web interface at a price no higher than a stock Assos jersey.

Cheap bike insurance by a specialty provider who knows what bikes cost to replace and does not play games.

Standardized (de facto industry standard) bike shipping boxes for frames or complete bikes that will take major abuse without a problem and not cost a ton - just very well designed cardboard structures for selling one bike or moving 20 bikes across country.

More clip-on seatbag options/sizes for those who don't ride Fizik or like velcro.

Water bottles that keep fluid cold on 90 degree days for 4 hours (here's hoping the Ice Jacket moves that ball).

More shoes with Speedplay drilling so I can avoid the adapter plate.

Lovetoclimb
06-15-2010, 12:25 PM
allowing me to buy more bikes, become a lifetime university student, and ride my bike(s) in exotic/epic situations.

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 12:31 PM
More time to ride! :)

mosca
06-15-2010, 12:34 PM
A new tire/rim system that combines the light weight and sweet ride of sew-ups with the easy maintenance of clinchers. Flat-proof too, as long as I'm dreaming big.

A lightweight hydraulic disc brake system optimized for road bikes.

Simple, attractive, efficient suspension system for road bikes. There must be a framebuilder out there who can make this happen, right? ;)

A self-cleaning drivetrain.

bozman
06-15-2010, 12:39 PM
More time to ride! :)

that too.

rugbysecondrow
06-15-2010, 12:41 PM
Road disc system that is light and sufficient for year round riding.

Trickle down of electronic components for mass market.

Paint that has reflective attributes...this seems like a standard no brainer

CHF
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
Paint that lasts as well as the paint on cars.

A power meter that doesn't cost as much as a bike.

Bikes built for common accessories so I don't have to use zip ties all over my frame.

Frame protectors provided stock!!! On the drive side chain stay, also on the DT to BB junction right where the chain goes to remove paint when it drops, on the head tube where the cables rub.

Manufacturers limiting logos to the DT and a badge on the HT.

johnnymossville
06-15-2010, 12:43 PM
a fast single speed commuter with fenders, chain guard, drop bars, and coaster brakes.

Lifelover
06-15-2010, 12:59 PM
Drop bars without the drops. I want them to end just below the brifter (in case my buddy is reading) and maybe include a end cap to give a little more confidence that the brifter would not slip off.

A better location for a bell on drop bars

Some clear sticky strips that could be used instead of zip strips to secure computer wiring. (I know, just go wireless)

I like the reflective paint idea above.

Handle bar camera mount.

Hardshell, carbon Fiber trunk bag. Maybe even intergrated with the rack.

A cheap rear blinky that can survive more than a couple of curb jumps.

dnades
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
OT - a future for our children that includes ethical and numerous ways to bridge the income divide.

Lifelover - try the knog frog blinky. Sticks real good.

maybe one of those gruber motor thingies......

veggieburger
06-15-2010, 01:09 PM
I would like a well-made pair of bib shorts for less than $100.

I would like an Italian manufacturer that stands by its warranty and doesn't point fingers when a claim is made.

Generally speaking, it would be nice if high-end components could be serviced without a whack of specialized tools.

And yeah - chain/frame protectors should be standard. It's a tiny cost that would make a big difference.

rePhil
06-15-2010, 01:28 PM
An easily removed / replaceable / rebuildable (Ergo/ STI) shift mech. Something cartridge like that could be replaced in minutes. Held in with one or two fasteners, and with quick disconnect cable ends.

alexstar
06-15-2010, 01:42 PM
A quill stem that accepts 31.8mm handlebars.

A 26.0 quill stem with a removable faceplate, like the Salsa stems or the Deda Murex, but more readily available.

Labyrinth-sealed hubs like the old Maxi-Car. Touring cyclists would eat these up.

An adapter cassette to use modern 9-10-11 Campy systems on an old Campy 8-speed hub. Too many of these old 8-speed wheels have been relegated to the dustbin because of the old spline pattern on the freehub.

A new production lugged steel CSI.

A Randonneur or fast touring bike like the CRT.

A Serotta internship program :banana:

Alex

sr51
06-15-2010, 02:10 PM
I would like to see customized/personalized handlebars, seats and brake levers. I want to be able to specify shape, size and materials for each of these as suits my particular needs and wants.

I would like to see helmets with customized/personalized fit, ventilation, safety, etc.

Concerning Serotta now that they have partnered with Etxe Ondo, I would like to see customized/personalized shorts and jerseys. I want the option to mix and match your different pads with your different shorts. I want to be able to pick width size independently of length size. I want to be able to pick knicker-length/shorts-length for any of your shorts or long-sleeve/short-sleeve for any of your jerseys.

I want to be able to purchase cycling jerseys without collars.

David Kirk
06-15-2010, 02:12 PM
Lots of cool ideas. Many ideas are adapters of sorts so you can use a given cassette or a different hub or things of that nature. I wonder if there could ever be enough need to make it a viable biz proposition.

Similar deal with quill stems I should think. So few people want them I think the only viable way to get them is to have Bruce Gordon make you one. A bit of a bummer if you are a quill guy.

I really like the shop creak-detection tool. It exists though and is super easy to use but most shops don't have one - a mechanics stethoscope. I have one and it's the ****.

Can anyone think of stuff that the market place doesn't even know they need?

dave

alexstar
06-15-2010, 02:16 PM
A creak isolating noise detection system that LBS's could own that would quickly locate the source of unwanted noise within a cm.

FYI, this exists - it's a probe stethoscope :)

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-MECHANICS-STETHOSCOPE-11-PROBE/dp/B0018QPON8

I wish there was a small sized, well made passenger Van - something not huge and bulky but still fits 6.

-Something like the old VW http://vw-parts.uneedapart.com/images/vw-microbus-parts.jpg size but modernized.

I also want such a vehicle - my family has owned and driven VWs since the 50s and I love the old Bus. The reason they're no longer made is because the front crumple zones were nonexistent, and when crash safety standards became a big deal, the bus couldn't meet them and were phased out. The later Vanagon would be a good option, too.

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 02:17 PM
Can anyone think of stuff that the market place doesn't even know they need?A road triple crankset. ;)

Louis
06-15-2010, 02:19 PM
I would like a well-made pair of bib shorts for less than $100.

I think there are plenty of those around. The qualifier you left out is "comfortable for me after three hours in the saddle" (unless "well-made" covers that too).

Louis
06-15-2010, 02:33 PM
In response to the OP:

A drivetrain setup with a very wide range cassette in back and a double crank in front with chainrings that when paired with that cassette have little overlap in gearing.

To help do this I would gladly live with larger tooth gaps between cogs in back (the fact that when I shift in back at least 75% of the time I'm shifting more than one cog over tells me that the cogs are too close together for my type of riding).

veggieburger
06-15-2010, 02:35 PM
I think there are plenty of those around. The qualifier you left out is "comfortable for me after three hours in the saddle" (unless "well-made" covers that too).

Comfortable, good fit, good chamois, durable build. You know...all for nothing!

ergott
06-15-2010, 02:44 PM

dave

Electronic shifting. I just upgraded my shifters after 10 years and can't believe how nice Campy is even at the Centaur level.

PS - I still want DI-2 for some strange reason. Someone told me how great it is so I must need it.

-

C5 Snowboarder
06-15-2010, 03:08 PM
My thoughts on new products would be,

1. No-Contact magnetic braking for front and rear wheels.
2. Speed sensor that is mounted and hidden under the Down Tube and the magnet inside the Wheel and tire.
3. A Stem that has an integrated computer mount -- it is hollow now and it is wasted space.
4. Look to Shimano pedal adapter so I can ride my friends bike and he can ride mine without changing pedals.

Kevan
06-15-2010, 03:28 PM
reasonably priced, and built perfectly for "Joe Rider", but offered in carbon goodness.

I would like a light-weight versioned bike made so.

jmeloy
06-15-2010, 03:43 PM
some type of vehicle detection system when a car is coming up from behind. Just don't dig mirrors. Nothing gaudy, maybe a small light system that changes from green to yellow on the bar/stem?

goonster
06-15-2010, 03:55 PM
I thought the Mazda 5 covers all your criteria, except for the split rear gate, but I could be wrong . . .

(It's even available with mantrans, which would be key for me)

palincss
06-15-2010, 04:13 PM
Lots of cool ideas. Many ideas are adapters of sorts so you can use a given cassette or a different hub or things of that nature. I wonder if there could ever be enough need to make it a viable biz proposition.

Jtek Shiftmate -- I think that's a YES.

Similar deal with quill stems I should think. So few people want them I think the only viable way to get them is to have Bruce Gordon make you one. A bit of a bummer if you are a quill guy.

You don't like Nitto? I think the Pearl and the Technomic Deluxe are as pretty as anything made back in the day, except possibly for the hidden bolt Dura Ace, but that was a Nitto anyway.

palincss
06-15-2010, 04:32 PM
A better location for a bell on drop bars

How about this?

http://farm1.static.flickr.com/135/326010210_548221cc70.jpg

That's the Velo Orange bell mount - their first product, actually.

palincss
06-15-2010, 04:37 PM
A drivetrain setup with a very wide range cassette in back and a double crank in front with chainrings that when paired with that cassette have little overlap in gearing.

To help do this I would gladly live with larger tooth gaps between cogs in back (the fact that when I shift in back at least 75% of the time I'm shifting more than one cog over tells me that the cogs are too close together for my type of riding).

How about this? 36x48 chainrings, 13-34 custom 9spd cassette (13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34)

74.8 ... 99.7
64.8 ... 86.4
57.2 ... 76.2
51.2 ... 68.2
46.3 ... 61.7
40.5 ... 54.0
36.0 ... 48.0
32.4 ... 43.2
28.6 ... 38.1

54ny77
06-15-2010, 04:38 PM
i want good health.

besides that, a working, functional, handcrafted reasonably light bike to get me to the coffee shop & beyond on weekends.

oh yeah, and a jk special with a terraplane rear would be nice too. ;)

gdw
06-15-2010, 04:51 PM
8 speed XT and XTR components. We don't need extra cogs, bring back reliable and DURABLE drivetrain components.

Louis
06-15-2010, 05:04 PM
That's the idea.

The tough part is minimizing the overlap in gears. Because the 36 and 48 are so close well over half of the combinations are duplicates. It's a challenge to get a large tooth difference in front to shift reliably, and I assume that's why this hasn't been done yet.

How about this? 36x48 chainrings, 13-34 custom 9spd cassette (13-15-17-19-21-24-27-30-34)

74.8 ... 99.7
64.8 ... 86.4
57.2 ... 76.2
51.2 ... 68.2
46.3 ... 61.7
40.5 ... 54.0
36.0 ... 48.0
32.4 ... 43.2
28.6 ... 38.1

sevencyclist
06-15-2010, 05:16 PM
Light integrated lock that totally prevents stealing without having to chain to a rack/post.

palincss
06-15-2010, 05:17 PM
8 speed XT and XTR components. We don't need extra cogs, bring back reliable and DURABLE drivetrain components.

Amen. XTR M900 cranks - best 110/74 triple ever, in my book, and by far the prettiest derailleurs, too.

cp43
06-15-2010, 05:18 PM
That's the idea.

The tough part is minimizing the overlap in gears. Because the 36 and 48 are so close well over half of the combinations are duplicates. It's a challenge to get a large tooth difference in front to shift reliably, and I assume that's why this hasn't been done yet.

Buy a mountain triple, 44-34-22, take the 34 out, move the 44 to the middle position (might require a little filing). That's what I did, shifts well, but not perfect, with Ultegra 10s double FD. I run a 12-25 10s cassette with it. I think that gets you pretty close to what you're looking for. :beer:

Chris

palincss
06-15-2010, 05:30 PM
That's the idea.

If you shift that gearing as a crossover "duplicates" are non-existent or irrelevant. You stay on the big ring, go down until you're 6 or 7 sprockets in or you decide this hill is going to go on for a while, and you cross over to the 36. It's an easy shift, 12T, and when you get there either it's steepened enough that you stay where you are and are happy, or you shift up 1 or at most 2 in back to get back in sequence. From there on, you go up or down on the 36 until you've crested the hill, at which point you cross back over to the 48. It's all just a linear sequence.

On this cassette, you have one 4-tooth shift, to the 34, and everything else is 1, 2 or 3, and those are certainly easy enough. I don't use a 13-34, my favorite is Sheldon's 113-30 Century Special. That one has 1 trooth shifts for the first 3, 2 tooth shifts for the next 3, then 3 tooth shifts for the remaining three. Because the 30 isn't part of the matched Hyperglide set, it's a little rougher going in than the other shifts, but it's still smooth as silk compared to what we had back in the 70s, and if you want that 30T badly enough a little klunk won't hurt you.

There is another approach to wide range gearing, where you set up two non-overlapping sequences on the big and small ring. It's fine except for one thing: when you reach the point where you need to cross over, instead of a 1 or 2 sprocket shift in back, you have to shift 6 or 7 or even 8 sprockets. That's slow, cumbersome and annoying, according to people who've tried it. I remember Frank Berto set up that gearing back years ago; his conclusion was, it worked better on paper than in real life.

Crossover has won. Half step is dead, and this ultra-wide range, non-overlapping double setup never really had its day. There's a reason why crossover reigns: it works well and once you wrap your mind around the basic idea instead of fighting it (worrying about "overlap" is fighting it, IMHO) it's very easy to understand. And besides: that's what modern gear is designed for. The derailleurs want this sort of spacing between the chain rings, and that's the sort of progression the cassettes are designed for as well.

David Kirk
06-15-2010, 05:59 PM
You don't like Nitto? I think the Pearl and the Technomic Deluxe are as pretty as anything made back in the day, except possibly for the hidden bolt Dura Ace, but that was a Nitto anyway.

I like nitto just fine. I think they have the quill stem market all sewn up - end of story.

dave

rphetteplace
06-15-2010, 06:19 PM
Hydration/nutrition sensor. Tell me before I'm going to bonk.

Core temperature thermometer monitor.

StellaBlue
06-15-2010, 06:21 PM
I wish I could help, but I couldn't be happier or want more from my bike.. I do wish Campagnolo would still produce 10 speed chorus w/ the last gen ergo's.. :butt:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4756/img7616r.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/i/img7616r.jpg/)

Climb01742
06-15-2010, 06:29 PM
1. someone who can figure out what's going on in my right hip.

2. stems in sizes 105, 115, 125 and 135.

3. winning lottery numbers

Hardlyrob
06-15-2010, 06:32 PM
I want a continuous variable transmission - in this day and age why do we have to worry about chains and gears - how 17th century. The challenge will be to get it light enough to be attractive.

Then again, they're just figuring this out for cars - so how come my tractor has had one for decades?

Rob

David Kirk
06-15-2010, 06:34 PM
1. someone who can figure out what's going on in my right hip.

2. stems in sizes 105, 115, 125 and 135.

3. winning lottery numbers

Amen brother James.

dave

palincss
06-15-2010, 06:42 PM
I want a continuous variable transmission - in this day and age why do we have to worry about chains and gears - how 17th century.

According to Wikipedia, Hans Renold is credited with inventing roller chain in 1880. They're as much as 98% efficient under ideal conditions, and the drive trains are quite light. How close does your tractor's CVT come?

Frankwurst
06-15-2010, 06:57 PM
I live where I want to live and ride what,when and where I want to ride. I want for nothing. I like this feeling. :beer:

robin3mj
06-15-2010, 07:07 PM

-Small and easy to park
-Easy to drive
-Sliding doors on the sides, split tailgate style rear (for putting on bike shoes!)

Current vans seem too roomy, have bad driving manners and are heavy - resulting in larger engines, more gas to haul it all around with.

That's my wish from a biker dad / mom with two kids POV who want to remain 1 vehicle in a busy metropolitan area where a honking 'mini' van (caravan, sienna, odyssey) is out of place.

What Shino said
Plus Road bikes with some kind of simple rear suspension (very small amounts - DK you made me a believer in this area)

all over Europe...
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/uploads14/vw_touran_g1235599401.jpg

fourflys
06-15-2010, 07:24 PM
Core temperature thermometer monitor.

they have these, I'm just not sure you'd like where they go... :butt:

:D

Jeff N.
06-15-2010, 07:31 PM
1. A Campy Super Record group in high polished aluminum throughout.
2. Kestrel to reintroduce their EMS Pro fork in the one inch steerer tube.
3. More 1" Steerer tube carbon forks in general.
4. Open Pro Rims available in a variety of colors.
5. The Chargers to finally win a freakin' Super Bowl. Jeff N.

Peter P.
06-15-2010, 07:51 PM
I'm not really an advocate of stiffer frames, but it seems to me the weak link is the limitations on seat tube diameter due to front derailleur design.

Therefore, I would like to see front derailleur design changed so that the linkage wraps around the seat tube i.e., parts of it would be fore and aft of the seat tube and not all collected on the crankset side. This would free up space and enable larger diameter seat tubes, perhaps permitting steel frames to be more "competitive" with the wonder material, at least as far as marketing goes... You might have to increase chainstay length a smidge, but I doubt you'd notice.

I'd like to see a threadless stem/steerer system that allows you to retain height adjustment without a stack of spacers on top of the stem. Aesthetically, it looks bad.

Instead of the reflective paint many have suggested, how about reflective logos, headtube decals, etc.? They'd be discreet during the day but useful at night.

Handlebar tape that actually sticks to the bars. Gee; do you think the manufacturers could be any cheaper with their application of adhesive tape?!

Star Fangled Nuts that are easily removable. I know other, working designs are in use; can we just ban the Star Fangled Nut altogether?

Brake pads that don't leave dust on the rims which makes a mess when the bike gets wet, in the rain, etc.

ti_boi
06-15-2010, 07:52 PM
A Pony.

eddief
06-15-2010, 09:07 PM
that prevents killing the post with scratches the first time you stick it in....so to speak.

Nitto stems are gorgeous, but 73 degrees is too limiting. Yes to the old Salsa selection of degrees and extension. I am waiting for VO to do this.

What percentage of bikes have a computer sensor on the fork? How about an industry standard for a sensor mounting point.

Allen/hex heads on derailleur adjusting screws.

palincss
06-15-2010, 09:14 PM
I'm not really an advocate of stiffer frames, but it seems to me the weak link is the limitations on seat tube diameter due to front derailleur design.

Therefore, I would like to see front derailleur design changed so that the linkage wraps around the seat tube i.e., parts of it would be fore and aft of the seat tube and not all collected on the crankset side. This would free up space and enable larger diameter seat tubes, perhaps permitting steel frames to be more "competitive" with the wonder material, at least as far as marketing goes... You might have to increase chainstay length a smidge, but I doubt you'd notice.

Wouldn't a braze-on front derailleur design accomplish what you want using existing conventional technology? Besides - are you saying we need even larger diameter seat tubes so that steel frames can be stiff enough to compete with carbone? Or is this strictly a matter of looking fat being the in thing? I wasn't aware there was a stiffness gap vis a vis carbone.

WadePatton
06-15-2010, 09:21 PM
have you tried harris cyclery? not sure what exactly is available, but they've a ton of cassettes (many non-standard) listed in the gear-inch calculator.

and then white industries makes the road crank that takes _any_ 5 bolt ring.

PaulE
06-15-2010, 09:39 PM
I'm not going to do this myself, so here goes

Wellgo takes the Vista Magic X Pedal design. Offers different models that use existing Look Delta, Look Keo, Shimano SPD-L, SPD, Speedplay and other proprietary cleats. Changes the bearings design to put some of the bearing on the other side of the crank arm, to lower Q factor, but still use existing pedal thread drilling in cranks. Sells it at prices similar to other Wellgo pedals.

I think more people would give the Vista Magic X concept a try at a cheaper price point, especially if they could keep their cleats.

bozman
06-15-2010, 10:10 PM
I do wish Campagnolo would still produce 10 speed chorus w/ the last gen ergo's.. :butt:

+1
11 was a solution to a problem that did NOT exist

StellaBlue
06-15-2010, 10:11 PM
A Pony.

"When I was a little girl in Poland, everybody have pony"

retrogrouchy
06-15-2010, 10:34 PM

That would be a used Jetta TDI wagon. :cool:

bozman
06-15-2010, 10:36 PM
That would be a used Jetta TDI wagon. :cool:

awd?

retrogrouchy
06-15-2010, 10:37 PM

-Small and easy to park
-Easy to drive

What Shino said
I'd recommend a nice used Honda Odyssey van for the vehicle part. Stop worrying about your manhood, man-up, and drive one.

Louis
06-15-2010, 10:42 PM

Seinfeld - and I don't even have a TV...

Louis
06-15-2010, 10:53 PM
have you tried harris cyclery? not sure what exactly is available, but they've a ton of cassettes (many non-standard) listed in the gear-inch calculator.

and then white industries makes the road crank that takes _any_ 5 bolt ring.

I'm pretty sure that what I'm asking for can't be done with existing hardware because the front dérailleurs and rings/ramps/pins we have today can't shift reliably between two rings with a difference that is large enough to eliminate the gear-inch duplication. I bet that with enough R&D Shimano could do it, but most folks who want the range I'm asking for just settle for a triple and tons of extra combinations. (Which is what I do - road triple crank + MTB cassette and rear dérailleur.)

rustychisel
06-15-2010, 11:51 PM
bring back the Suntour Superbe Pro groupsets, make everyone happy from retro-grouches to fashionistas.

weaponsgrade
06-16-2010, 12:52 AM
More high-end 700x25 tire options.

PacNW2Ford
06-16-2010, 01:00 AM
Bring back Superbe Pro? Heck, I still have the brakes on one of my bikes!

I want a Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT tS "Tuned by STi" Wagon

Bikewise, how about 50/39/30 Sugino 110mm BC Supershift chainrings? A reissue of the Phil Wood pedals? More choices in wide 700c rims...

scooter
06-16-2010, 01:27 AM

And Jerry said ... " I didn't know she had a pony. How was I to know that she had a pony? Who figures an immigrant's going to have a pony? Do you know what the odds are on that? I mean in all the pictures of immigrants on boats coming into New York harbor, I never saw one of them sitting on a pony. Why would anyone come here if they had a pony? Who leaves a country packed with ponies to come to a non-pony country? It doesn't make any sense... Am I wrong?"

scooter
06-16-2010, 01:45 AM
(1) A recreation of the original Pearl Izumi Tokyo short (with the same fabric as the original).

(2) More leather saddlers (Brooks, Velo Orange, etc) adopting light weight rail designs like the Berthoud

(3) Front derailleur w/ integrated chain keeper

Elefantino
06-16-2010, 05:22 AM
Interesting question, Dave.

What are/would be the breakthrough items that would change the face of cycling? It wouldn't be more comfortable saddles or bib shorts, or longer-wearing or more-comfortable-yet-flat-proof tires, or lighter-yet-stronger anything, because everyone knows we need (want?) those things.

We have to look back at cycling's real breakthroughs for guidance. Quick-releases. Clipless pedals. Clincher tires. Index, then Ergo/STI shifting. Triple cranks. Compact cranks. We got along well before each of those (well, maybe except for butterfly wheel thingies) but someone came up with something better.

So, look what we have to work with:

-- Frames. We have steel, aluminum, ti, carbon, magnesium, flax/carbon, bamboo. Is there a material out there that hasn't been used? Other than transparent aluminum, maybe, I can't think of one.

-- Drivetrains. We have manual and electronic. We have carbon and aluminum. We have conventional and, now, Apex. We have belt drive. Internal hubs. There was mention made of CVT. Maybe that is the frontier, but maybe the only one.

-- Comfort. Other than a saddle that can be heat-molded to your ass shape (think Shimano shoes and aftermarket soles; and, besides, how would you fit your butt in the oven?), can't think of anything backside wise. Maybe an integrated pedal/shoe combination with cleats that don't need replacing would be considered a breakthrough. Or shorts with automatic chamois butter distribution.

-- Design. Kestrel tried no downtubes. Didn't quite catch on. Makers have jimmied with their seat stays (everything from DKS to Terraplane; yes, I still want one someday), fork rakes and tube lengths/diameters; they've sloped their top tubes and created swoopy carbon shapes. But we've come up short here, too, at least on the revolutionary scale.

Long answer short, Dave, I can't think of one. Based on the above categories, can anyone else? :confused: :D

clunk
06-16-2010, 05:53 AM
A crank that can go from compact to standard and back by simply switching out the chainrings.

soulspinner
06-16-2010, 05:53 AM
I wish I could help, but I couldn't be happier or want more from my bike.. I do wish Campagnolo would still produce 10 speed chorus w/ the last gen ergo's.. :butt:

http://img266.imageshack.us/img266/4756/img7616r.jpg (http://img266.imageshack.us/i/img7616r.jpg/)

You can still buy 10 speed chorus groups at at least one place(Tx Cyclesport -buy it up), the new levers are better but I agree, nobody needs 11.

Pegoready
06-16-2010, 06:19 AM
They make that already. It's called a compact crank. Maybe the need is really for more options in 110 BCD chainrings.

A crank that can go from compact to standard and back by simply switching out the chainrings.

palincss
06-16-2010, 06:33 AM
They make that already. It's called a compact crank. Maybe the need is really for more options in 110 BCD chainrings.

More options besides these? What's missing?

TA 110mm bolt circle chainrings for most touring cranksets

Outer Position 110 (silver finish)
Outer position chainrings can be used in both double and triple configurations. These chainrings are supplied as stock with the TA Zephyr triple cranksets, and TA Carmina cranksets when fitted with the 110mm spider. They also fit many other cranks from Shimano, Sugino, White Industries, Race Face, etc. Most of these rings are now Campy 10 speed compatible.

Specialites TA 58 tooth (not pinned)
Specialites TA 57 tooth (not pinned)
Specialites TA 56 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 55 tooth (not pinned)
Specialites TA 54 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 53 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 52 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 51 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 50 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 49 tooth (not pinned)
Specialites TA 48 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 47 tooth (not pinned)
Specialites TA 46 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 45 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 44 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility

Middle Position 110 (silver finish)
Middle position chainrings can be used in both double and triple configurations. But of course the pins are not needed for doubles.

Specialites TA 46 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 45 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 44 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 43 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 42 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 41 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 40 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 39 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 38 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 37 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 36 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 35 tooth pinned for STI 9 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 34 tooth pinned for STI 9 or 10 speed compatibility
Specialites TA 33 tooth works for STI 9 or 10 speeds. No pins as such, but the chainring bolts serve the same function. These shift very well.

clunk
06-16-2010, 06:42 AM

Yes. Thank you.

endosch2
06-16-2010, 06:47 AM

I agree with this! The only thing out there is a Audi A3 diesl that is even close - except for the seats five comfortably part and the AWD. They need to bring over the A4 avant diesl that thay have in Europe.

djg
06-16-2010, 07:19 AM

Bless you.

oldpotatoe
06-16-2010, 07:49 AM

Record hubs laced to Ambrosio tubular rims, DT spokes, made well. Same weight and performance as Neutrons, same hubs, probably less expensive using standard off the shelf components so your hub doesn't become a pen holder when the company doesn't support the wheel.

Ti Designs
06-16-2010, 08:14 AM
I have one simple wish. I would like the price of bike stuff to go up at the same rate as my salary. I would like to be able to afford to purchase the same bike I purchased 5 years ago, maybe put the same level of components on it - it all sounds so reasonable. I don't need the very best - perhaps that's the problem. My legs, lungs and heart are all 5 years older than they were when I bought my last bike, which by today's standards clearly isn't the best bike in the world, so what I'm really looking for is maybe something that just barely makes it into the top 500 bikes.

mjb266
06-16-2010, 10:07 AM
Compatible with Red Levers

mjb266
06-16-2010, 10:08 AM
oh yeah, a drivetrain/braking design that reduces the dish on the rear wheel...

djg
06-16-2010, 12:20 PM
I have one simple wish. I would like the price of bike stuff to go up at the same rate as my salary. I would like to be able to afford to purchase the same bike I purchased 5 years ago, maybe put the same level of components on it - it all sounds so reasonable. I don't need the very best - perhaps that's the problem. My legs, lungs and heart are all 5 years older than they were when I bought my last bike, which by today's standards clearly isn't the best bike in the world, so what I'm really looking for is maybe something that just barely makes it into the top 500 bikes.

I dunno about your salary, but if we ignore the fact that your 5 year old bike is still an excellent bike, it seems as if you can do pretty well if you fudge the latest/greatest or even this year's paint job. There seems to have been a good deal of price creep that's hung on the top, as distinguished by very slight product differentiation and very large price differentiation. There are pro tour level ridley frames that don't cost anything like 5k or even half of that, and last year's paint job might be available for less money still. A Look 585 or 595 left over from a year or two ago . . . how different is it from the current model, really, besides price? The second tier components (Record or Chorus . . . or Ultegra or what have you) are seriously good and . . . apart from the electronic system available on DA, are really much less different from the top than they used to be (and even 10 years ago, they weren't all THAT much different). So here are two different questions: (1) What could you spend on a pro tour level bike, if price were no object, or if you wanted to max out on price? and (2) How much would you have to spend to get a frame that has been raced at that level within the past year or two, wheels that have been raced at that level within the past year or two, and components that are not worse at all in ways you'd notice while riding? I'll bet the two numbers are very different.

Or, you know, keep your bike, install new cables, chain, cogset, and tires, and don't worry about it. Or get a new made-to-measure frame by somebody who really knows what he is (or they are) doing, but doesn't charge 5 or 6 k, and just ride the heck out of that.

bluesea
06-16-2010, 01:28 PM
- high quality cycling jersey in solid light grey, no trim
- upper end helmet models in single colors

Bob Ross
06-16-2010, 01:45 PM
2. Some good carbon forks made to fit [wider] tires and fenders.

3. Lightweight full fenders that fit securely and don't rattle but are truly EZ on and EZ off in a minute.

Wow. Yes. This. +10,000,000,000

I want a continuous variable transmission

I'd swear I read a blurb in Popular Mechanics or Popular Science or some such magazine way back in the 1970s that described a patent for a crankset with a continuously variable expanding chainring...as pedal torque and/or cadence increased, the chainring "grew" in diameter, increasing the number of engaged teeth. Am I crazy or does anyone else remember seeing such an invention?

dnades
06-16-2010, 02:41 PM
i'd like a nice slim road pedal that is just for regular shoes. Light, with a good platform, decent bearings, and less than 70 bucks. Kind of like the old track pedals but not so it isn't all the rage and have the matching price tag to boot. You put it on your bike and forget about it. could fit cages but wouldn't really need it. Silver.

I think there is a variable speed crank. It begins with an 'h' and I have seen it on some Mountain Bikes(more downhill, I think) in the UK. Can't quite put my finger on the name of it though.

StellaBlue
06-16-2010, 02:45 PM
You can still buy 10 speed chorus groups at at least one place(Tx Cyclesport -buy it up), the new levers are better but I agree, nobody needs 11.

I figure the supply will be around a bit longer from a few sources (some shops and ebay), but it would make me feel warm and fuzzy inside to know they were still making it and I wouldn't have to hoard it..

cp43
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
...snip

I think there is a variable speed crank. It begins with an 'h' and I have seen it on some Mountain Bikes(more downhill, I think) in the UK. Can't quite put my finger on the name of it though.

I think you're thinking of Hammerschmidt. It's a 2 speed internally geared crankset, meant mostly for MTB.

Chris

93legendti
06-16-2010, 03:07 PM
...2. stems in sizes 105, 115, 125 and 135...
I like this idea.

woolly
06-16-2010, 03:20 PM
I think you're thinking of Hammerschmidt. It's a 2 speed internally geared crankset, meant mostly for MTB.

Chris

Or the Schlumpf speed-drive:

http://www.schlumpf.ch/md_engl.htm

buck-50
06-16-2010, 03:42 PM
More tires with tan sidewalls.

More really nice, light 700c tires between 25 and 32mm.

More lightweight bikes that fit said tires.

Lightweight panniers- there is no reason a pannier should weigh 4.5 pounds all by itself (I'm looking at you, Arkel).

Classically styled panniers that don't cost more than my bike.

truly machine washable (and dryable) classically styled wool jerseys.

More bike clothes that don't look like European clubwear.

Cranks sold without standard rings- buy the crank and then tell the shop what rings you want.

David Kirk
06-16-2010, 04:11 PM
OK............ so there are some cool ideas here to look at. Many of them seem to be doable in the real world.

Now, after so many pages, I'd ask what would you like to see from our gracious hosts at Serotta? What product or service would you like them to offer. No idea is too crazy. Having said that no they can't sell you a custom Meivici for $39.

What do you want from Serotta?

dave

buck-50
06-16-2010, 04:16 PM
OK............ so there are some cool ideas here to look at. Many of them seem to be doable in the real world.

Now, after so many pages, I'd ask what would you like to see from our gracious hosts at Serotta? What product or service would you like them to offer. No idea is too crazy. Having said that no they can't sell you a custom Meivici for $39.

dave
Lugged steel.

CHF
06-16-2010, 04:17 PM
A more usable website. With prices.

A place to buy their Etxe Ondo and Catlike stuff online (ala Profile Design's Bellwether page)

AE tubing in an off the rack frameset

A tour of their Poway facility (I live in San Diego). If they partner with one of the local breweries and made it an evening event, even better.

Carbon bits like Parlee does: FD hanger, bottle cages

Bob Ross
06-16-2010, 04:30 PM

How about a plausible explanation for why their Meivici frameset costs $1100 more than a Parlee Z1, $2400 more than a Gaulzetti Carbonio, ~$3400 more than a Calfee Dragonfly, and $3600 more than a Crumpton or a Ruegamer?

FastVegan
06-16-2010, 04:34 PM
25 mm training (ie less than strada) tubulars

Joellogicman
06-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Currently only available 35. Be nice to have 28 and 32.

fourflys
06-16-2010, 04:40 PM
A tour of their Poway facility (I live in San Diego). If they partner with one of the local breweries and made it an evening event, even better.

I'm pretty sure they do this on one Thursday a month... if that doesn't work, I'm pretty sure Serotta Mike Lopez will figure something out for you, shoot him a PM off here...

found it... (http://www.serotta.com/About/FactoryTour.html)

but I agree an evening event with Lightning would be cool... :)

CHF
06-16-2010, 04:45 PM
You are correct that it's open every Thursday. At 11 AM. :rolleyes:

You know, when all the dentists and lawyers are at work.

TAW
06-16-2010, 04:58 PM

dave

A few years ago they brought a demo van to the Kansas City (MO) area and it was great to see/ride the bikes and meet some of the guys. I wish they would do that more often.

dixiesdad
06-16-2010, 05:04 PM
Puma to come out with a new bike shoe

VW to remake the old mini van in red/white

patagonia to revisit the bike clothes market

someone to make retro shoes that actually look like the old sidi shoes that were laceup and not velcro. one version with no cleats and a thin touring sole, and one with hardware to mount old slotted cleats..not like the new dromarti ones...the quocpham ones are close.

more clothing from rapha but at a reasonable prices.

frame builders to do a run of several colors and stock sizes so the genius of the builder would be there but the colorways would not be guiding the functioanlity of the bike.

more bikes like the pashley type but not weighing a ton.

Peter P.
06-16-2010, 05:17 PM
Wouldn't a braze-on front derailleur design accomplish what you want using existing conventional technology? Besides - are you saying we need even larger diameter seat tubes so that steel frames can be stiff enough to compete with carbone? Or is this strictly a matter of looking fat being the in thing? I wasn't aware there was a stiffness gap vis a vis carbone.

A braze-on still puts the linkage between the seat tube and the crank. Free up that space for a wider diameter seat tube.

Like I said, I personally don't think frames need to be stiffer, but from a marketing standpoint, if you can get the stiffness to match carbon ( and I'd doubt there would be a weight penalty) then the suckers er, I mean public, might be more receptive to steel frames.

"Looking fat" being the in thing? Yeah; the general consumer buys with their eyes and it's an easy point to sell on. Is there a stiffness gap to carbon? Well, the carbon marketers would have you believe so...

Having said all that, I thought of another item I'd like to see-provide the current crop of racing frames with clearances for wider tires, and that may mean a change in brake design too, or at least a switch to a different standard for brake reach and a wider range for the brake pad release. The big limitation right now is the design of carbon forks. Of course, chainstay and rear brake bridge clearances are slim to none, too. I think it's silly that many frames/forks can't/can barely handle a 25mm tire. They should be able to easily handle a 27/28mm tire with a broken spoke. Remember; the same frame should be able to handle smooth roads to Roubaix cobbles.

What would I like to see Serotta do? Bring back a lugged, steel frame. Bring back the gorgeous paint schemes of the Coors Light era, and their signature color fades.

palincss
06-16-2010, 05:31 PM
A braze-on still puts the linkage between the seat tube and the crank. Free up that space for a wider diameter seat tube.

Like I said, I personally don't think frames need to be stiffer, but from a marketing standpoint, if you can get the stiffness to match carbon ( and I'd doubt there would be a weight penalty) then the suckers er, I mean public, might be more receptive to steel frames.

"Looking fat" being the in thing? Yeah; the general consumer buys with their eyes and it's an easy point to sell on. Is there a stiffness gap to carbon? Well, the carbon marketers would have you believe so...
I don't believe it for one second. We have no evidence that carbon frames are stiffer than steel, and besides, I think oversize 8/5/8 steel tubing is already far too stiff.

I thought of another item I'd like to see-provide the current crop of racing frames with clearances for wider tires, and that may mean a change in brake design too, or at least a switch to a different standard for brake reach and a wider range for the brake pad release.

Those longer reach dual pivot brakes already exist and have done for some years.

Frankwurst
06-16-2010, 06:10 PM
Lugged steel.

Agreed, but lugged steel that fits fat tires. Fat being 28+ Fender eylets would be nice too. Not their niche but us dinosauars would like to see it. Laid back geometry, fat tires and lugged steel sport cruiser? I'd buy into it. :beer:
I know there are plenty of others offering this up but a Serotta in this configuration would be ............well? a Serotta Sport Cruiser. :beer:

sn69
06-16-2010, 06:28 PM
...The return of the CSI. There, I said it. I feel better. :rolleyes:

Scott

dave

rustychisel
06-16-2010, 07:02 PM

more clothing from rapha but at a reasonable prices.

I think you just slipped this one in as a speculative attempt. Nice try.

Jack Brunk
06-16-2010, 08:00 PM
For the world to be rid of cancer.

DarkStar
06-16-2010, 08:39 PM
Michelin Krylion in a 28.

csm
06-16-2010, 08:48 PM

dave

fewer locked threads....

Louis
06-16-2010, 08:53 PM
fewer locked threads....

anarchist

rounder
06-16-2010, 09:36 PM
A few years ago they brought a demo van to the Kansas City (MO) area and it was great to see/ride the bikes and meet some of the guys. I wish they would do that more often.

Agree. Last year, Ben brought the demo show to Lutherville, MD. All of the bikes were on display and all were built up and they were beautiful. Everyone had a chance to meet and talk with Ben and Serotta Dave. It wasn't just seeing the bkes and meeting Ben that was cool. I liked the part where Ben layed out his philosophy about bikes. He said about racing, that he would love to see his bikes in the TDF but the financial commitment was too expensive. He said that he will build steel bikes for as long as he is there at Serotta. I asked him whether he rode the same bike everyday, and he said that he does because he tests them while they are in development. He said that he had been riding a Meivici AE daily for testing and redesign. The cars outside had NY plates and racks. It did not look like a high budget production with transport moving equipment.

Lifelover
06-16-2010, 09:45 PM
This is what I have wanted for years. I think Gary Fisher stole my idea :crap: :crap:

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4043/4708157726_e02d0f4949_b.jpg

csm
06-16-2010, 10:05 PM
I just saw that pic of the sawyer today.... I want one!

Ahneida Ride
06-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Handlebar tape that actually sticks to the bars. Gee; do you think the manufacturers could be any cheaper with their application of adhesive tape?!

Try www.handlebra.com

No stick em on back ..... no real need .... the leather stuff wraps right ...
Stretches the correct amount for a tight wrap around.

if ya want .... wrap the leather over some cheapo hockey tape.

johnnymossville
06-16-2010, 10:16 PM
If he's done with it I'll take this. Great for wearing out and about.

http://desmond.yfrog.com/Himg38/scaled.php?tn=0&server=38&filename=z3wd.jpg&xsize=640&ysize=640

fourflys
06-16-2010, 10:44 PM

yes, yes, yes

I find it hard to imagine plunking down $xxxx for a bike without be able to at least demo one... I realize a 30 minute test ride isn't going to show me everything about a bike, but it would make me feek better about laying out serious cash for one...

Ozz
06-17-2010, 07:53 AM
...What do you want from Serotta?

dave
An online store to buy some new water bottles.....maybe a hat, a new t-shirt or two and some socks.

jblande
06-17-2010, 08:51 AM
a better website from serotta. by better, i mean prices and weights, more information on the carbon layup, more perspicuous design.

more information on their carbon products in general, ie why is their carbon so much more expensive than everyone else. at least give me some reasons beyond proprietary this and that.

bring back the store in one way or another. branding goes a long way. even parlee (way smaller) and one man shows (svelte/gaulzetti and richard sachs) all seem lightyears ahead of serotta.

a lugged steel bike

tv_vt
06-17-2010, 09:36 AM
Think someone else mentioned this, but I'd love to have the new ergonomics of the 10 speed brake/shift levers (7800 or 7900), but usable on my 9speed Shimano setup. I don't care about more gears or having to change my cassettes, chain, etc. But it would be nice to have more updated shift levers than my Dura Ace 9 speed levers.

That's it for starters.

oldpotatoe
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
[QUOTE=dnades]i'd like a nice slim road pedal that is just for regular shoes. Light, with a good platform, decent bearings, and less than 70 bucks. Kind of like the old track pedals but not so it isn't all the rage and have the matching price tag to boot. You put it on your bike and forget about it. could fit cages but wouldn't really need it. Silver.

http://www.velo-orange.com/votrpe.html

rugbysecondrow
06-17-2010, 09:38 AM
Somebody else said something similar to this regarding carbon. I think more builders, specifically Serotta, should have a lower cost entry level frame. When I bought my custom Bedford TIG Frame and Fork, the cost was $1795, $1000 cheaper than the TIG Serotta option. Even now, the Bedford TIG price is $1995, $800 less than the starting Serotta. Carl Strong has his TIGs at $1695 plus fork, so maybe $2100. $1500 for a TIG frame and fork from Rock Lobster...these are not fly by night builders, but rather very reputable and skilled craftsman.

My point is not to argue the merits of one company vs another (although I love my Bedford and would extol its virtues to anybody who would listen), but rather to articulate the point that Serotta, even at its entry level steel TIG frame/fork seems out of the competetive pool for many customers unless somebody really wants the Serotta decal on their frame.

So, Serotta should develop a way to offer a competetive frame at the entry level position that gets people hooked on Serotta as a brand and a ride quality. For a new rider, it is hard to convice them to spend $800-$1300 extra on a Serotta frame verses some of these other very proven builders.

oldpotatoe
06-17-2010, 09:45 AM
How about a plausible explanation for why their Meivici frameset costs $1100 more than a Parlee Z1, $2400 more than a Gaulzetti Carbonio, ~$3400 more than a Calfee Dragonfly, and $3600 more than a Crumpton or a Ruegamer?

Or twice what a Moots RSL sells for.

For rugbysecondrow-

http://www.waterfordbikes.com

Pure custom steel for $1400.

EDS
06-17-2010, 10:32 AM

Didn't look make one? I think it was a one piece with drillings for either compact or regular rings, but is proprietary to some of their high end bikes.

Lifelover
06-17-2010, 10:57 AM
There have been some interesting ideas but this thread is a good example why when doing marketing research you have to ask "what would you buy" and not just "what do you want".

rugbysecondrow
06-17-2010, 11:05 AM

For rugbysecondrow-

Exactly, $1400 plus $350 for a steel fork...not a bad way to get a custom Waterford, or a Gunnar Custom for Frame and Fork under $1500...another great way to get a top notch frame.

As an aside, it seems that there are times of inovation where new products emerge, then there are times of inovation where the benefit is in the improvement or delivery of current items. I think we might be in the later time of innovation...how to bring so much of what is good to people at a reasonable cost? Iphone 4g anybody?

Elefantino
06-17-2010, 09:18 PM
<snip> I'd ask what would you like to see from our gracious hosts at Serotta? ... no they can't sell you a custom Meivici for $39.
<snip>
I want a custom Meivici for $39.

I want to hear it from Saratoga Springs, personally.

:D

Tim
06-18-2010, 08:45 AM
I'd settle for a 13-26 cassette with an 18 tooth cog that's SRAM compatible. and no, I don't run Campy- where I know that they make these things-so I'm still waiting.

PaulE
06-18-2010, 09:06 AM
I'd settle for a 13-26 cassette with an 18 tooth cog that's SRAM compatible. and no, I don't run Campy- where I know that they make these things-so I'm still waiting.

You can get it here, but it will cost you -

etail sport (http://www.etailsport.com/custom_cassette_10speed.htm)

Maybe that price includes VAT. I thought there was a US outfit that did the same thing, but I couldn't find them.

johnnymossville
06-18-2010, 09:15 AM
What I really want is a $500-$750 Hardcore Aluminum Race Frame. Single color paint job of my choice. Kinda like a CAAD 9.

pdonk
06-18-2010, 09:38 AM
I'll agree on the high end 8 speed mtb parts. For me to go to 9 speed will be almost a grand (shifters, chain rings, cassette, derailleurs).

Short travel, high quality suspension forks with cantilever bosses.

Bring back a few saddle designs:

- original Bontrager Selle San Marco saddles
- original Turbomatic 2

For new stuff - if you are going to make me use anatomic handlebars, please make them so. Someone who uses a 44 cm bar will have big hands, the multiple bends suck.

bambam
06-18-2010, 10:05 AM
It would be nice to have an inexpensive unobtrusive cycle computer.
Maybe one that is a stem cap with the wiring runing through the steerer and the pick up is taped to the inside of the fork with the magnent being a valve cap.

Auk
06-18-2010, 10:09 AM
What I really want is a $500-$750 Hardcore Aluminum Race Frame. Single color paint job of my choice. Kinda like a CAAD 9.

Spooky is having a moving sale right now, check them out, give them a call.

PaulE
06-18-2010, 10:18 AM

Tsunami? (http://www.tsunamibikes.com/Tsunami_Bikes/Home.html)

michael white
06-18-2010, 10:20 AM
Somebody else said something similar to this regarding carbon. I think more builders, specifically Serotta, should have a lower cost entry level frame. When I bought my custom Bedford TIG Frame and Fork, the cost was $1795, $1000 cheaper than the TIG Serotta option.

So, Serotta should develop a way to offer a competetive frame at the entry level position that gets people hooked on Serotta as a brand and a ride quality. For a new rider, it is hard to convice them to spend $800-$1300 extra on a Serotta frame verses some of these other very proven builders.

Seriously, I'd say a tig off the peg all-rounder that targets versatility, is simple to build in a variety of ways, is lively and makes use of premium tubing, isn't cutesy or quaint or retro or pro, which doesn't gesture toward a simpler and supposedly better time, does not seek distinction through brazed-on bottle openers or stainless coffee mugs or pewter badges or cast-in lizards or fictional characters or human body parts or mocha-licious colorways (no offense to any brand intended) . . . which basically doesn't try to look like anything else but a straight clean bike made by a guy or gal with integrity who made it in a particular place where he/she has chosen to live.

Vancouverdave
06-18-2010, 10:40 AM
1.The top of the line tires from Conti (4000) and Michelin (Prorace) in 28 and 32 sizes. Also, these same tires in tubeless versions.

2. Some good carbon forks made to fit those tires and fenders.

4. Modern lightweight cranks (not TA copies) with a wide variety of chainring options from 28 to 53, so you could run ranges like a 46/28.

Your crankset wish sounds a lot like White Industries' VBC (variable bolt circle) crank. Currently made and easily available through their dealers.

And, as long as we're asking, I want a cycle computer that puts out a laugh track when the average speed is displayed. I could go on, but am trying to stay on-topic.

fourflys
06-18-2010, 11:10 AM

why not just buy the cheapest CAAD 9 and strip the parts off it? The frame is exactly the same as the Dura Ace model... (I guess the color issue...)

Short of that, I'd have to think a Spooky on sale...

buck-50
06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
Seriously, I'd say a tig off the peg all-rounder that targets versatility, is simple to build in a variety of ways, is lively and makes use of premium tubing, isn't cutesy or quaint or retro or pro, which doesn't gesture toward a simpler and supposedly better time, does not seek distinction through brazed-on bottle openers or stainless coffee mugs or pewter badges or cast-in lizards or fictional characters or human body parts or mocha-licious colorways (no offense to any brand intended) . . . which basically doesn't try to look like anything else but a straight clean bike made by a guy or gal with integrity who made it in a particular place where he/she has chosen to live.
That'd be a Gunnar, wouldn't it?

michael white
06-18-2010, 11:46 AM
sort of, but :) without the dog

false_Aest
06-18-2010, 11:49 AM
I want a few simple things:

1) Fully customizeable cassettes -
2) Another vote for 105, 115, 125 stems
3) Higher end components that fit my girlfriend's small hands.

As for Serotta:

It's simple: Ya'll have successfully upped your prices ($2400 for the cheapest frameset) to the point that I'm just not likely to buy from you again.

Instead of a LUXURY race bike how bout a RACE race bike?

I mean, I'm sure that there's at least 1 dentist here who doesn't wanna dump his $4k+ Serotta in a CAT 5 pile-up.

alexstar
06-18-2010, 12:09 PM
Yesterday I was on the Serotta website reading about the Ottrott SE and GS. I was looking for some explanation of the SE and GS designations; specifically, what makes the SE worth the extra $1700. All I could find was a brief description of the tubing and some marketing fluff. The only difference I could discern between the two models is a difference in the titanium tubing. I'd like to see some better descriptions of the individual models, and a clear idea of the model hierarchy, I.E. why the SE is worth the premium.

GuyGadois
06-21-2010, 08:35 PM
How about an easy way to change a standard crank to a compact and back again. I would love an easy way to swap the rings and have the bike Sierra ready and swap them back for the flat lands.

-Gadois-

palincss
06-21-2010, 09:02 PM
How about an easy way to change a standard crank to a compact and back again.

All "compact" means is a 110 mm bolt circle. You can fit all sorts of chainrings on a 110 bolt circle, and should you wish to do so, 39 and 53 are among the readily available sizes. I have a tandem with 110/74 cranks with 28/42/54 tooth rings.

So changing from 34-50 to 39-53 is certainly possible, but -- no, make that BUT it's a lot more difficult than changing a cassette or replacing a wheel with one with a different cassette. Maybe you should try plotting the gearing you like in 39/53 and see if you can find a cassette that will give you the same ratios with 34/50 (or some other fine combination of smaller rings that also fits a 110 bolt circle).

alexstar
06-21-2010, 09:03 PM
A couple more things:

-Chainring bolts that somehow don't rely on that silly little tool.

-Waterproof shoe covers that don't fall apart and will fit my 47 megas.

sg8357
06-22-2010, 08:39 AM
Seriously, I'd say a tig off the peg all-rounder that targets versatility, is simple to build in a variety of ways, is lively and makes use of premium tubing, isn't cutesy or quaint or retro or pro

Ebisu All Purpose ???
$1650, lugged but otherwise meets the spec.

http://www.jitensha.com/eng/nugrnebisu5-03_e.html

avalonracing
06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I want a few simple things:

3) Higher end components that fit my girlfriend's small hands.

If she runs Shimano check out "Slim Shims" from Specialized. My wife uses them and they made a big difference on the reach to the lever.

michael white
06-22-2010, 10:03 AM
Ebisu All Purpose ???

absolutely.

Bob Ross
06-22-2010, 02:10 PM
If she runs Shimano check out "Slim Shims" from Specialized. My wife uses them and they made a big difference on the reach to the lever.

Heck, I use them, and I'm 6' tall and have a hand spread of a tength on a piano keyboard!

endosch2
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
It would be nice to have an inexpensive unobtrusive cycle computer.
Maybe one that is a stem cap with the wiring runing through the steerer and the pick up is taped to the inside of the fork with the magnent being a valve cap.

Check out the new Garmin Edge 500 - it is about as unobtrusive as they come - no wires, very clean stem mount, smallest garmin cyclecomputer yet.

palincss
06-22-2010, 03:53 PM

For rugbysecondrow-

Yeah, but would you like a fork with that? It's extra.

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2010, 07:01 PM
Yeah, but would you like a fork with that? It's extra.

$1400 + $350...still$1,000 cheaper.

Ken Robb
06-22-2010, 07:07 PM
and you probably get a pretty accurate estimated delivery date too, if that matters to you.

Ken Robb
06-22-2010, 07:08 PM
doh

palincss
06-22-2010, 09:12 PM
$1400 + $350...still$1,000 cheaper.

$1280 will get you a Boulder Bicycles welded frame & fork, or $1900 for lugged construction. For $2200 you could have a welded Tournesol, $2600 for a lugged one, fork included for both. There are certainly some nice choices out there, and many of them are much less expensive than the carbon race bikes you see down at the LBS.

retrogrouchy
06-22-2010, 09:28 PM
Ebisu All Purpose ???

Those are a great value, atmo.

retrogrouchy
06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
$1280 will get you a Boulder Bicycles welded frame & fork, or $1900 for lugged construction. For $2200 you could have a welded Tournesol, $2600 for a lugged one, fork included for both. There are certainly some nice choices out there, and many of them are much less expensive than the carbon race bikes you see down at the LBS.

$1280 for basically a Gunnar frame and fork with more braze-ons? Seems kinda high.

That makes the Ebisu look even more appealing. ;)

rugbysecondrow
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM

Agreed, which was the point of my original comment when answering Dave Kirks question:

dave

Why is a TIG Serotta $1000 or more than the competition?

retrogrouchy
06-22-2010, 09:34 PM
[QUOTE=dnades]i'd like a nice slim road pedal that is just for regular shoes. Light, with a good platform, decent bearings, and less than 70 bucks. Kind of like the old track pedals but not so it isn't all the rage and have the matching price tag to boot. You put it on your bike and forget about it. could fit cages but wouldn't really need it. Silver.

http://www.velo-orange.com/votrpe.html

How about the MKS Sylvan Prime pedals?

palincss
06-23-2010, 06:09 AM
$1280 for basically a Gunnar frame and fork with more braze-ons? Seems kinda high.

That makes the Ebisu look even more appealing. ;)

Can you get a Gunnar with that geometry and tubing and those braze-ons? How good a fender line can you get with a Gunnar? Can you get a Gunnar with the Boulder build kit?

I can imagine you describing a high-end custom thusly: "$6,000 and five years of waiting for what is basically a lugged Gunnar frame and fork with a few more braze-ons and a fancy rack? Seems kinda high. Makes a Walmart bike look even more appealing..."
:)

Joellogicman
06-23-2010, 07:35 AM
Can you get a Gunnar with ... tubing and those braze-ons?

Boulder use tubing as light weight as possible. I imagine Gunnar stays with the more utilitarian brands.

Someone here may know for sure.

bpatterson
06-23-2010, 08:53 AM
custom painted bottle cages to match the 2000 dollar paint job

retrogrouchy
06-23-2010, 09:21 PM
Can you get a Gunnar with that geometry and tubing and those braze-ons? How good a fender line can you get with a Gunnar? Can you get a Gunnar with the Boulder build kit?

I can imagine you describing a high-end custom thusly: "$6,000 and five years of waiting for what is basically a lugged Gunnar frame and fork with a few more braze-ons and a fancy rack? Seems kinda high. Makes a Walmart bike look even more appealing..."
:)

Nice try! :p

retrogrouchy
06-23-2010, 09:26 PM
Nice try! :p

I would more likely say that waiting five years and spending $6000 for a (lugged steel?) frameset is awfully silly, but whateverrrrr....

I didn't wait five years for my Confente.

I didn't wait five years for my Goodrich.

I didn't wait five years for my.... well, I think you get the point. ;)

Bob Ross
06-24-2010, 08:05 AM
well, I think you get the point.

That you spent $6,000 for your Confente?

Joellogicman
06-24-2010, 11:10 AM
I didn't wait five years for my Confente.

I didn't wait five years for my Goodrich.

I didn't wait five years for my.... well, I think you get the point. ;)

This touches on an interesting (to me anyway) debate on the Framebuilder's forum. Some argued that a buyer looking to get a (name your builder here) bike has the right to expect all the work is actually performed by that builder. Others countered the bike is every bit the builder's bike whether the builder made every lug and welded every weld, or used off the shelf parts and had assistants do some of the work.

The wait for customs such from outfits such as Vanilla or a Rene Herse is so long as pretty much everything on is custom built by the brand owner. On the other hand, you can get, say, a custom sized Bilenky in fairly short order as there is a whole team in place building the bikes.

The framebuilders' were pretty divided. How about here? What do we want?

Personally, I am fine with the Bilenky approach. The design and quality are what I am looking for. I guess if I was hoping to have a future collector item, I may lean the other way.

goonster
06-24-2010, 11:40 AM
On the other hand, you can get, say, a custom sized Bilenky in fairly short order as there is a whole team in place building the bikes.
Oh, that is a good one! You speak from experience?

I will agree with you on one thing: the wait for the building to start is relatively short.

Joellogicman
06-24-2010, 11:47 AM

Based on comparing my customs wait with that of Bilenky owners.

I take it you disagree!

goonster
06-24-2010, 12:19 PM
I take it you disagree!
I disagree in the sense that, in Bilenky's case, the division of labor does not result in an accelerated build process, atmo.

However, the "assistants" are accomplished builders in their own right, and the quality of the work is top notch, no question.

retrogrouchy
06-24-2010, 09:13 PM
That you spent $6,000 for your Confente?

Nope, nor for the Goodrich. ;)

retrogrouchy
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
This touches on an interesting (to me anyway) debate on the Framebuilder's forum. Some argued that a buyer looking to get a (name your builder here) bike has the right to expect all the work is actually performed by that builder. Others countered the bike is every bit the builder's bike whether the builder made every lug and welded every weld, or used off the shelf parts and had assistants do some of the work.

The wait for customs such from outfits such as Vanilla or a Rene Herse is so long as pretty much everything on is custom built by the brand owner. On the other hand, you can get, say, a custom sized Bilenky in fairly short order as there is a whole team in place building the bikes.

The framebuilders' were pretty divided. How about here? What do we want?

Personally, I am fine with the Bilenky approach. The design and quality are what I am looking for. I guess if I was hoping to have a future collector item, I may lean the other way.

I really dig having one craftsperson do it all, from mitering tubes to paint and decals, but I'm not stuck on that. Curt didn't paint his frames for a long time (although he did paint mine...), and that atm dude doesn't paint his, right?

retrogrouchy
06-24-2010, 09:24 PM

I will agree with you on one thing: the wait for the building to start is relatively short.

My thought here would be that, just like in the plastic-frame world, there are always "gotta have it" lugged steel builders-du-jour, and those folks will always have a long wait (when they are 'in'). There are a zillion great builders that are under the "NAHBSy" radar, but make fine products that are readily available within a couple months or so, and cost way less. Again, imo it is just plain silly to pay $6000 and wait five years for a frameset (of any kind).

palincss
06-24-2010, 09:43 PM
According to your opinion, that is. There are builders with waiting lists that long and prices that high, and some folks are willing to pay and willing to wait. That doesn't necessarily make them "silly".

retrogrouchy
06-24-2010, 10:11 PM
According to your opinion, that is. There are builders with waiting lists that long and prices that high, and some folks are willing to pay and willing to wait. That doesn't necessarily make them "silly".

It does in my opinion. That's why I said 'in my opinion.' Capiche?

If you (that's the Royal 'you,' not you specifically, so relax) choose to buy into the Internet hype, that's fine. Personally, I choose not to buy into it.

Name five that fit those criteria, by the way. :argue:

(And write their names in Katakana, while we're at it...).