PDA

View Full Version : so what happens when you don't properly glue a tubular?

vqdriver
06-14-2010, 06:34 PM
has anyone actually rolled a tubular tire off the rim?

ergott
06-14-2010, 06:45 PM
has anyone actually rolled a tubular tire off the rim?

Last weekend. I went into a turn with too much speed. One touch of the rear brake was all that was needed. The brake didn't lock-up, but I lost traction and down I went. I'm not sure if the tire rolled as a result of the crash or as a result of my poor decision-making skills. I don't blame the glue job though.

Lesson learned, brake earlier or ride it out. Don't touch the brakes turning at 20mph with crosswalk paint on the road.

FastVegan
06-14-2010, 06:53 PM
Yes, in a cross race. Never on the road, I think the risk of rolling on the road is lower than the risk during cyclocross.

06-14-2010, 07:06 PM
Depends on how you ride. If you tour upright and in a straight line, no problems. If you are aggressive at all, or dealing with difficult roads, it can be a big problem. And you will go straight to hell for not gluing the tire on properly.

Peter P.
06-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Heck; I rolled both of them at the same time!

I was racing in Putney, VT, decades ago. It was late in the race and the pack was together. I was literally clowning around and not paying attention. There was no curb, and I rode off the asphalt into the gutter, and fell over sideways-DOINK! I popped both tires back on and finished, hoping no one remembered me when I crossed the line!

Blame it on my amateur gluing skills.

Ti Designs
06-14-2010, 07:25 PM
I was racing in Putney, VT, decades ago...

The Putney road race - they don't have events like that any more. They always had that huge BBQ off to the right on the dirt road. of the 4 times I did that race I finished top 6 in 3 of them, the other one I had the chicken.

As for rolling a tire, there's always someone who manages to hurt themselves by doing something stupid. My riders have heard me say "don't be that idiot" enough times to know they'll never hear the end if it. Rolling a tire is like cross threading a pedal, there's no reason for it. Always make sure the tire doesn't come off the rim, and always thread the pedals in half way by hand - 'nuff said.

djg
06-14-2010, 07:49 PM
Only once, with what turned out to be a defective batch of conti glue. Rolled it in a cross race. Endo. Disorientation for a minute or two and soreness for a few days thereafter (and a long jog to the finish, but I finished).

regularguy412
06-14-2010, 08:51 PM
Only once,, and I did not glue it up. Ever since then, I've glued my own , and,, knock wood,, not rolled one off.

It happened during a warm up before a crit. Actually had finished my warm up and was just noodling around in an adjacent parking area waiting for the start. As I turned the a blind corner, I had to make an emergency turn to avoid another racer coming out on the wrong side. Low speed maneuver -- about 5 mph, but happened to hit the curb askew and it popped the tire right off. It was then that I realized just how LITTLE glue had been used (right down the center and none on the edges). I borrowed another wheel set and raced the crit. Didn't even want to use the back wheel in the crit, after seeing how the front looked.

Learn to glue your own, to your own satisfaction. It's peace of mind when turning in during a 45 mph descent.

:)

Mike in AR:beer:

BumbleBeeDave
06-14-2010, 08:54 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY

BBD

Jack Brunk
06-14-2010, 10:31 PM
Use extreme tufo tape and you'll never have an issue. 10's of thousands of hard miles and not even close to an issue.

dsb
06-15-2010, 07:51 AM
I once rolled a tire because it _wasn't_ glued ...

My first 'real' roadbike I bought back in the '70's when I was in H.S.. It was a Fuji Finest, had Suntour on it and 'tubular tires'... I rode it for 3 or 4 days and then had a flat. I bought another tire and 'installed' it, couple days later I rolled the front taking a corner pretty aggressively and crashed. I 're-installed' the front tire and rode to the shop and explained to the owner what had happened. He grabbed the front tire and squeezed it a bit, then just shook his head and took me and the bike back into the shop. He proceeded to glue the front tire on, and explain the whole process, then he made me do the back tire...

Thinking back, I don't know if he was shaking his head because the bike was delivered without the tires being glued, or because I was such a noob that I didn't know to glue the tires... I do know that at the time I thought the idea of designing tires that were held on with glue seemed pretty stupid, but then thinking maybe not since they stayed on pretty well minus that critical component...

zap
06-15-2010, 08:20 AM
Use extreme tufo tape and you'll never have an issue. 10's of thousands of hard miles and not even close to an issue.

Jack, you are a carbon man. Any problems with extreme tape coming out the sides and mucking up carbon rims and brake pads. I'm always picking off tape snot.

Have to say, the toughest combo are tufo lite tubulars and tape. The tire will wear out but otherwise I have yet to kill one. The ride remains plastic and rolling resistance seems higher than conti comps but hell, tufo gets you home.

On Topic-have I ever rolled tubulars. No.

Jack Brunk
06-15-2010, 09:40 AM
Jack, you are a carbon man. Any problems with extreme tape coming out the sides and mucking up carbon rims and brake pads. I'm always picking off tape snot.

Have to say, the toughest combo are tufo lite tubulars and tape. The tire will wear out but otherwise I have yet to kill one. The ride remains plastic and rolling resistance seems higher than conti comps but hell, tufo gets you home.

On Topic-have I ever rolled tubulars. No.
I've not had any issues with tape coming out along the side of the rims. Most of the rims I've used have a deep enough channel that there's not much chance for it to escape.

ergott
06-15-2010, 09:47 AM
Any problems with extreme tape coming out the sides and mucking up carbon rims and brake pads.

I only noticed this with the standard tape from Tufo. The Extreme tape has two different parts to it and there is less of the white glue.

Blue Jays
06-15-2010, 11:06 AM
Observed a friend roll a rear tubular tire two decades ago. He crashed.
The reason was a completely insufficient amount of glue, not to mention it was rather old.
Glue correctly, glue often, and use good products and problems are rare.

zap
06-15-2010, 01:21 PM
I only noticed this with the standard tape from Tufo. The Extreme tape has two different parts to it and there is less of the white glue.

Older zipp rims. Made no difference when I switched to extreme. It's a problem on hot, longer, hilly rides.

Next carbon purchase I'll keep rim bed profile in mind.

Charles M
06-15-2010, 01:43 PM
I've seen folks roll tubes. I have heard several stories.

I have never seen anyone roll a glue job and after a very long time have heard of only a single reputable source rolling older standard tape.

I run extreme tape on a couple of different brands of tires here in Arizona and have never had an issue. I don't mind a good glue job, but will never bother with glue again. Tape is easier in virtually every way than glue. You can be done with a set of wheels in a fraction of a fraction of the time and any idiot can tape a rim (placing myself as benchmark) with near zero skill.

As for rolling resistance, Tires will have different feel, but I would call "bull*****" to anyone suggesting they can feel the RR difference between a good glue job and tape.

vqdriver
06-15-2010, 02:29 PM
so how often do you have to reglue your tires if they're glued on properly?
can you fix flats?

TAW
06-15-2010, 02:34 PM
Unfortunately I know what happens when you don't get a tire glued evenly and have a dry spot. You get an irritating noise. ;)

geoffm
06-15-2010, 07:01 PM
I rolled a tubular. Once. I didn't glue it myself. Fortunately, it was a rear tire, but I was leading-out our sprinter. I didn't go down, but the tire jammed sideways across the wheel, locking it up completely. He ran to the back of me and went wide on the corner and crashed. Sick. We were flying and were two bike lengths ahead already. Since then, nobody touches my wheels.

retrogrouchy
06-15-2010, 10:59 PM
can you fix flats?

Never, and not worth doing (in that order). :banana:

oldpotatoe
06-16-2010, 07:42 AM
can you fix flats?

If glued on properly, never.

I repair my own. It's not hard.

A place in FLA can repair them for you.

http://www.tirealert.com

Never have rolled a tire or one that I glued(24 years and counting), don't use tape, too much residual junk after taping, particularly if you want to then use glue.