PDA

View Full Version : Need advice on Womens Cross Bike

jmeloy
06-14-2010, 09:47 AM
Daughter is looking to get started riding on casual basis. Wants to go with a cross bike for multi surface use. What options does she have on a stock size from Specialized, Trek, etc.? Don't see many women specific offerings?
Thanks!

veloduffer
06-14-2010, 12:28 PM
I recently bought my wife a Lynskey Cooper CX frameset direct from Lynskey (with Alpha fork & FSA headset, about $1500). I put a Shimano Ultegra triple kit but with bar end shifters and cross brake levers on the tops. I used shorter reach brake levers and Bontrager made women specific handlebars. She loves the bike - light, quick and well made.

I looked around quite a bit and it was probably the best value for a cross bike.

jmeloy
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
I recently bought my wife a Lynskey Cooper CX frameset direct from Lynskey (with Alpha fork & FSA headset, about $1500). I put a Shimano Ultegra triple kit but with bar end shifters and cross brake levers on the tops. I used shorter reach brake levers and Bontrager made women specific handlebars. She loves the bike - light, quick and well made.

I looked around quite a bit and it was probably the best value for a cross bike.
good info!

veloduffer
06-14-2010, 02:47 PM
good info!

Lynskey often runs specials on their website particularly for small & large sizes (see Lynskey Loft section). You may want to call them direct as well, as their sales reps will do deals (which is how I got the fork, headset and nicer finish for only a couple hundred more).

Also, Lynskey makes Performance Bike's titanium Scattante frames, including cross. Another consideration if your daughter is still growing and will need another bike in a couple of years.

jmeloy
06-14-2010, 04:09 PM
Lynskey often runs specials on their website particularly for small & large sizes (see Lynskey Loft section). You may want to call them direct as well, as their sales reps will do deals (which is how I got the fork, headset and nicer finish for only a couple hundred more).

Also, Lynskey makes Performance Bike's titanium Scattante frames, including cross. Another consideration if your daughter is still growing and will need another bike in a couple of years.
excellent idea!