PDA

View Full Version : Tandem Stoker Seatpost

ZippRider
04-02-2005, 09:27 AM
Are there any tandem riders that can give me any feedback as to replacing the post, for the stoker, that has a shock absorber vs using a standard post? Will the ride be too harsh with a solid post? Any imput would be appreciated

Thanks,

Zipp

Smiley
04-02-2005, 09:36 AM
Zipster , The first rule of tandeming is make your stoker happy , cause a happy stoker makes for long rides together . I think all Captains should STOKE so they can feel first hand how rough it is back there . By all means get RID of the ridgid post and get a shock post that suits your wifes weight and travel limits . I would have advised you to get a Beam tandem but maybe its too late . We own a Co-Mo Aluminum Cappucino with a soft ride beam for a HAPPY stoker .

zap
04-02-2005, 09:51 AM
Zipp, depends how hard you and your stoker ride. Fast riders will want a rigid post.

Some will find the up and down motion unacceptable no matter what the pace is.

Sometimes I fail to mention an impact is coming. But most times my wife will move her weight of the saddle if she feels a fairly decent hit coming from the front wheel. This gives her just enough time before the impact hits the rear.

wwtsui
04-02-2005, 10:00 AM
Not sure what your specific situation is, but I'd second Smiley's comments on beam tandems -- we wound up with a Co-motion Cappucino because that was by far the most comfortable for my wife. The shop did let us try seemingly endless models of tandems (steel/alu, with and without shock posts, beam, etc.), which I would highly recommend. This topic seems to be almost as personal as saddle choice... Good luck!

chuck
04-02-2005, 10:44 AM
Zipp, you may want to check out Cane Creek Thudbuster - if you've got enough seatpost above the collar to warrant it. I believe husband-wife team Pam Blalock and John Bayley use this. Their website is a useful tandem resource:

http://www.blayleys.com/

Chuck

Spinner
04-02-2005, 10:51 AM
My Co-Motion Co_Pilot has a Tamer shock-absorbing seatpost. My son and wife stokers have never complained about a harsh ride. :beer:

Bradford
04-02-2005, 10:56 AM
I think you absolutely need a suspension post. As the good captain says, rule number one is keeping the stoker happy or it makes for a tough ride, especially the long ones.

We use a Tamer post that works very well. The tension is adjustable, so you can set it to whatever your stoker likes. It is designed to sag a little when the rider is on the saddle and give on the bumps. My wife hated the feeling of bobbing up and down, so we have it set so it doesn’t move at all when she sits on it, but it does give way on the big bumps. It is enough cushion to protect her but not so much that it bother’s her spin. We were out the other day and I didn’t see a bump and she commented that the bumps are harder on me than on her.

If you can find a Tamer in the right diameter, I highly recommend it.

Smiley
04-02-2005, 12:59 PM
Zipster , are you the guy I met at the First Open House , did you not buy This Legend from the Legend himself George Rain ? Advise and maybe we hook up in Indy this year since my wife is from there , I'll bring the Co-Mo and we'll ride together .

lithiapark
04-02-2005, 03:09 PM
Second the Thudbuster. My stoker/wife/guardian angel likes hers. They come with an assortment of shock absorber bushings in different densities so the amount of give can be fine tuned, along with how much preload there is on them. I have used the 'buster on hardtail mtb. It does what it says it does, couldn't really notice the motion myself. They are well made.

scottaharper
04-02-2005, 06:04 PM
Our team's experience is that it depends on the stoker, experience level, and bike. My wife started out on conventional post on our aluminum Santana Sovereign. Not long after we bought it, she demanded a shock post. We got the RockShox post and she has been very happy. This winter we are in the process of upgrading to a new, custom carbon tandem ( :banana: ), and during the course of our many test rides, we came to the conclusion that she did not need a shock post on the carbon bikes that we rode. I am sure that some of it is the inherent shock absorbtion of carbon, and I am equally sure that some of it is the years of tandeming experience that we now have. I am not sure what the proportions are between the two. We do not have our new tandem yet, so I do not know if she will ask for a shock post later (a request that I will immediately fulfill), but she wants to try.

Hope our experience helps,
Scott Harper (and my stoker Dana)

ZippRider
04-02-2005, 08:48 PM
Thanks for the seatpost advice. We will most likely stay with the suspension post that came on the bike. We are riding a steel Santana Arriva. As stated before, I want to keep my wife / stoker happy!! :banana:

ZippRider
04-02-2005, 08:56 PM
Zipster , are you the guy I met at the First Open House , did you not buy This Legend from the Legend himself George Rain ? Advise and maybe we hook up in Indy this year since my wife is from there , I'll bring the Co-Mo and we'll ride together .

Smiley, yes I meet you at the first open house with George Rian. I did get my Legend from George. My wife has been working with him on an Ottrott. It was sent to Serotta this past week to be built. When you get to Indy, I would like to ride with you and the Mrs.

I hope to be at the open house in June if things go as planned...

Zipp

Sheldon4209
04-02-2005, 09:54 PM
ZippRider, Have you ordered that new frame for your bride? We can loan/give you a Tamer seatpost. It did not work for us but you may like it. My stoker prefers the rigid seatpost.
Sheldon4209

ZippRider
04-03-2005, 09:47 AM
ZippRider, Have you ordered that new frame for your bride? We can loan/give you a Tamer seatpost. It did not work for us but you may like it. My stoker prefers the rigid seatpost.
Sheldon4209

Sheldon, the order went in last week for the Ottrott. :)
Lets keep our minds to the bike post. The stoker post is a 26.6. If that is what you have we would give it a try. My fitter has a rigid post that we might try just to see the difference. :beer:

Zipp

Smiley
04-03-2005, 09:54 AM
Hey guys most of the shock posts will require shims so don't worry about the size , make sure you can get a shim for it to fit the seat tube .

93legendti
04-03-2005, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the seatpost advice. We will most likely stay with the suspension post that came on the bike. We are riding a steel Santana Arriva. As stated before, I want to keep my wife / stoker happy!! :banana:

That's the tandem and post we have. I think your stoker will be very happy.