PDA

View Full Version : Rides from Laguna Beach

johnkjos
06-13-2010, 09:57 PM
Hi all,

We're spending the weekend in Laguna Beach visiting family. If any of you can suggest some good rides (in the 40-50 mile range) I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

John Kjos

dvs cycles
06-14-2010, 08:55 AM
Where in LB?
3 directions to go but I usually avoid PCH south of Main Street whenever possible unless it's early in the AM.

wooly
06-14-2010, 12:22 PM
I posted this ride in another thread about a month ago. It's my one of my favorite rides. Different starting point but same route. Here it is, modified for your starting point:

Head north on Pacific Coast Hightway.
- Jamboree - right
- Back Bay Drive - left, nice ride along bay
- Eastbluff Drive - left (Back Bay Drive dead ends into Eastbluff Drive)
Eastbluff turns into University Drive - stay on this road. you will see University of California Irvine on the right.
- Alton Parkway - right
- Irvine Center Drive - right
- El Toro - right, dead ends into Laguna Canyon Rd
- Laguna Canyon Road - left
- Pacific Coast Highway (PCH) - Don't know where you started from but you will basically be at Main beach in downtown.

(Optional climb) - while you are heading up PCH at the beginning of the ride, you will be riding up the coast line. Take a right on Newport Coast Drive (about a 1 mile climb), take a left on San Joaquin Hills, which will dead end into Back Bay Drive. Take a right and resume the ride outlined above.

Have a great one

johnkjos
06-14-2010, 08:28 PM
We're staying about 1 mile S of the central LB area at The Casa Laguna Inn. The ride that Wooly provided sounds fine, except that I'd rather head away from as much traffic as possible (love challenging climbs).

Thank you both for your input. If there is a 40 or so mile ride through Dana Point, that would be of interest too.

Hey, how's the weather at the beach cities now? I'll have to adjust from th 100F weather we're having in AZ now (only 80F at ride time though).

Wooly & DVS cycles, thanks for the input. Is DVS Cycles a bike shop in the area?

dvs cycles
06-15-2010, 09:38 AM
Is DVS Cycles a bike shop in the area?Nope but had thought of that name years ago before I learned what hard work having a bike shop really is and gave up the idea.
As for weather we are in our June Gloom mode with clouds and some mist in the AM with sun in the PM.

Big-d
06-15-2010, 07:06 PM
[QUOTE=johnkjos] fine, except that I'd rather head away from as much traffic as possible (love challenging climbs)

Hiya...google "Como St. ride" for an approx 55mile loop from your location, its a very popular sun. morn. training ride. Alternatively look at Google maps for an out & back that would include Santiago cyn, possibly Silverado Cyn /Live Oak Cyn. For some real challenging climbs google "seven Sisters loop" , one of the "sisters" is Nyes Pl.,real close to your hotel,and a bear of a climb :)

mosca
06-17-2010, 07:16 PM
A few suggestions:

Go as early as possible to avoid traffic. There will be traffic no matter which way you go from LB on a summer weekend, just be prepared.

Hard to go wrong just riding north or south on PCH, especially if you're unfamiliar with the area. Most areas have a decent bike lane, and drivers are used to seeing bikes, so I haven't had much trouble there. Have to be careful when you get into the towns, but it's do-able.

Climbs: Park Ave near downtown Laguna is a good one. Also, going north on PCH, turn right on Newport Coast Drive (as Wooly mentioned), then right again on Ridge Park Rd for a nice leg-burner in the high-rent district.

A possible southern loop would be: North on Laguna Canyon Road, right on El Toro Rd, right on Aliso Creek Rd, right on Moulton Parkway which becomes Golden Lantern and takes you back to PCH in Dana Point.

Have fun!

mgm777
06-17-2010, 09:00 PM
This is the quintessential Orange County Ride from Laguna Beach. It will take you across OC through Santiago Canyon and back down through Newport Beach. You will see it all on this ride including hills, beaches, Back Bay, etc. There is a fair amount of climbing. However, most of the roads listed have nice wide bike lanes. Have fun!

From Laguna Beach:
Left on Laguna Canyon Rd
Right on County Hwy 18/El Toro Rd
Left on Moulton Parkway
Moulton turns into Irvine Center Drive
Cross over 405
Right on Alton
Right on Jeronimo Rd
Left on Bake Parkway
Right on Portola
Left on Glenn Ranch Rd
Left on El Toro Rd
Stop for water at Cooks Corner (biker hangout)
Left on Santiago Canyon Rd
Left on Jamboree Rd
Left on Portola
right on Bike Path after crossing 261
Follow Bike path until it ends at Harvard
right on Harvard
Cross Barranca and re-enter Bike Path on Right
Right on Bike Path
Follow Bike Path through Newport Beach Back Bay
Follow Back Bay bike path behind Newport Dunes to PCH exit
Cross PCH to Bayside Drive
Follow Bayside Drive South to Marguerite Ave