PDA

View Full Version : OT: World Cup a snoozer so far

Smiley
06-13-2010, 06:17 PM
Embarrassed to say so, the Germans put on a good show too bad AUS did not come to play. So far the play has been pretty boring and yet as a fan I watch. Rooting for the under dogs from African Nations to break through. Hey its a once every four year event, its for bragging rights and for some players its an audition for a new euro contract.

Louis
06-13-2010, 06:21 PM
It's still early and there's a lot more football left to be played.

I was surprised that Argentina could only manage one goal.

MattTuck
06-13-2010, 06:44 PM
At this stage in the tournament, the weaker teams are more intent on drawing matches rather than playing for the win.

As a result, the play can sometimes be less exciting than two teams playing for a decisive victory.

Climb01742
06-13-2010, 07:27 PM
smiley...dude...patience. ;)

drewski
06-13-2010, 07:49 PM
Futbol is very much a team sport and just like in any more having
a home field advantage is critical. A lot of these who play in Europe
such as Messi have just played a full season. I think you are going
to see many more goals come out of the Argentine strikers:
Higuain, Di Maria, Messi, El Principe, and Tevez. His son in law
Kun Auguero is no slouch either. They are going to have a tough time
getting past Brazil.

Argentina get picked apart for every little thing they do in the home
papers. It takes a while for these players to get in a rhythm as well.
Nigeria is no slouch. 9 players from their team have Euro experience.
The goalie received man of the match even though they lost. No doubt he will be playing in one of the premier leagues soon.

Having family from there and having lived in Buenos Aires for three years I am pulling for them. Also looking for the U.S. to try to hang on. But we just
don't have the depth and breath of the players yet.

Nil Else
06-13-2010, 07:59 PM
Some sloppy goalie plays: England and Serbia.

Watching immediately after watching the Stanley Cup contest, I thought, surprising sloppiness maintaining ball possessions considering the slower pace/bigger field...not that I've never watched soccer/world cup game before...

Smiley
06-13-2010, 09:05 PM
smiley...dude...patience. ;)

this is supposed to be the best in the world :)

Bud_E
06-13-2010, 10:58 PM
The vuvuzela has made it so I can only watch the world cup on 'mute'.

Louis
06-13-2010, 11:11 PM
The vuvuzela has made it so I can only watch the world cup on 'mute'.

I don't know how wide a vuvuzela's frequency range happens to be, but it should be relatively easy for the broadcasters to minimize the annoyance factor. All they have to do is filter the buzzing out of the crowd noise channel. I'm surprised they aren't already doing this, because people have been talking / complaining about the vuvuzelas well before the world cup started.

Ozz
06-14-2010, 12:22 PM
Embarrassed to say so, the Germans put on a good show too bad AUS did not come to play. So far the play has been pretty boring and yet as a fan I watch. Rooting for the under dogs from African Nations to break through. Hey its a once every four year event, its for bragging rights and for some players its an audition for a new euro contract.
Pay attention to what the Germans did...they really looked sharp (or, the Aussies were that bad). Ouch.

That is how the best teams play....it was tough watching Serbia vs. Ghana after seeing Germany.

Looking forward to more!

jlwdm
06-14-2010, 01:25 PM
this is supposed to be the best in the world :)

That is why you do not see much scoring.

If you are a true soccer fan you would enjoy every move and counter move and the strategy - not the scoring.

I am not a fan.

Jeff

fiamme red
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
If you are a true soccer fan you would enjoy every move and counter move and the strategy - not the scoring.

I am not a fan.That made me laugh. :D

Ozz
06-14-2010, 01:35 PM
... I am not a fan.

Jeff
:rolleyes:

rdparadise
06-14-2010, 04:42 PM
I don't know how wide a vuvuzela's frequency range happens to be, but it should be relatively easy for the broadcasters to minimize the annoyance factor. All they have to do is filter the buzzing out of the crowd noise channel. I'm surprised they aren't already doing this, because people have been talking / complaining about the vuvuzelas well before the world cup started.

Sorry, but those damn horns make it sound as though a pack of locus are coming through. They totally drown out any crowd response to great plays, blocked shots, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Smiley, regarding the slow play, I don't disagree, however, this is the first round for the 32 teams, they are finding their way, and the best 16 are playing to get into the second round. I suspect when that happens the play quality will pick up and you'll be impressed.

Bob

djg
06-14-2010, 07:59 PM
Patience Smiley . . . it's early. There have been good moments but it's natural that some sides would make a tentative start and some would be streaky early -- they didn't just get together yesterday, but there's been limited time to gel and I expect we'll see better team play emerging.

rustychisel
06-15-2010, 01:25 AM
Pay attention to what the Germans did...they really looked sharp (or, the Aussies were that bad). Ouch.

That is how the best teams play....it was tough watching Serbia vs. Ghana after seeing Germany.

Looking forward to more!

Damn right. The Germans were in a different league. All of them seemed to be over 6'3 and it looked ridiculous having Cahill as the lone Australian striker trying to get to terms with aerial crosses. The Germans played like mechanical toys, and they were very very impressive.

Want to see the Portugal Vs Ivory Coast game tonight, should be a cracker!!

JMerring
06-15-2010, 02:28 PM
you want snoozer - try watching first half of brazil/n. korea. brazil barely made a dent. so far, it looks like germany's tournament to lose. early days, of course, but i can't believe how many draws we've had.

Louis
06-15-2010, 02:41 PM
you want snoozer - try watching first half of brazil/n. korea. brazil barely made a dent. so far, it looks like germany's tournament to lose. early days, of course, but i can't believe how many draws we've had.

Blame it on the jabulani (or maybe the vuvuzelas)

goonster
06-15-2010, 03:07 PM
you want snoozer - try watching first half of brazil/n. korea.
Some people see a snoozer, others see a fascinating example of how to stymie the world's most creative players with extremely limited soccer resources.

The belly-aching about the Jabulani is pathetic. It's the same thing every four years. Adidas introduces the new ball (has to be reinvented every four years so the marketing department has a purpose), and everybody grouses. In four years' time, everyone will wax nostalgic about the good old reliable Jabulani.

As far as the Vuvuzela's are concerned . . . deal with it. It's what they do in South Africa. The Vuvuzelas are one of the few genuinely expressions of local fan-dom that are making it over the airwaves into your home as part of the pasteurized FIFA entertainment package designed for global consumption. Not everyone is enamored with rousing renditions of "There's only one [insert player of the moment]" or "Who ate all the pies?" either. If nothing else, they have indelibly branded all the games. Generations from now, if you watch a clip of this World Cup, you'll know when and where that game happened. The officials have headsets, and the players should be used to noisy stadia, if they play for a club that's any good.

Germany will come down to earth. I'm not counting them out, but they won't romp through the tournament the way they did against Australia. I guess that Jogi Loew really is a damn good manager. Germany overachieved at the last World Cup too, and surely he deserves some of the credit for that, especially in light of Juergen Klinsmann's subsequent fall from the pantheon of great soccer geniuses. The importance of the manager at the World Cup can't be overstated, and this is where Argentina's greatest weakness lies. If they do well it is in spite of Maradona. " . . . sigan chupando", etc.

Louis
06-15-2010, 04:41 PM
So who thinks NK can go all the way?

goonster
06-15-2010, 09:12 PM
So who thinks NK can go all the way?
NK can not go all the way, but look at it this way:

On the BBC live commentary someone promised to eat their hat (and cat!) if Brazil scored fewer than four goals. Any manager in the world would have given a small part of their anatomy to keep this game respectable. North Korea, soccer enigma, global pariah (who, let's not forget, pulled off one of the greatest upsets in World Cup history 44 years ago) did very well here.

Louis
06-15-2010, 11:02 PM
Today Maicon scored Brazil's first goal with an incredible shot from a terrible angle. If you want to see something even better watch this video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hsCbXu5it6Y)

Climb01742
06-16-2010, 01:09 PM
just ask spain. the tourney just got interesting.

goonster
06-16-2010, 03:28 PM
More evidence that Maradona is entirely unhinged:

"Pele has to go back to the museum. As for Platini, I always had a very distant relationship with him -- hello and goodbye. We know how the French are and Platini is French and he thinks of himself as being more than the rest of the world. I've never paid him any attention and I won't do it now."

goonster
06-21-2010, 10:43 AM
It's all heating up a little bit, and the final round of group games should have a few humdingers.

The Kaka red card is very unfortunate, and I feel badly for the man but not the team. There may be some karma at work here, because I vividly recall the images of Rivaldo clutching his face and writhing in agony after being struck innocuously by the ball on the knees at the corner flag in a game against Turkey. The best way to fight this stuff is by professional code among the players, methinks. Some progress has been made, but there is a long way to go yet.

I get much more wound up about this kind of stuff than I do about bad refereeing decisions because the players actually have some control over it. Although, frankly, the Kaka espulsione was also a bad call because the ref did not himself see the incident. There was some mayhem on the field after the player went down, so I have no idea what information he used to make his decision.

Oh, and Daniele de Rossi is a cheating little ****. There, I feel much better now . . .

SEABREEZE
06-21-2010, 11:13 AM
They say Italy and Brazil get away with lots of calls, in the recent Ivory Coast vs Brazil game, was a perfect example. Lots of shirt holding...

rwsaunders
06-21-2010, 11:30 AM
The French show the world that the Irish should have been in the World Cup...

http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2010/jun/18/raymond-domenech-france-world-cup-2010

Ozz
06-21-2010, 12:06 PM
It's all heating up a little bit, and the final round of group games should have a few humdingers.

The Kaka red card is very unfortunate, and I feel badly for the man but not the team. ...The best way to fight this stuff is by professional code among the players, methinks. . . .
I was thinking they need to review tape after the games like they do in the NFL. I am OK with "selling the foul" if you are really fouled, but cr@p like that that a$$ pulled on Kaka needs to be dealt with. Either revoke the red card so he does not need to sit the next game, or suspend / fine the player who faked being hit.

Now, regarding the disallowed goal the USA scored....let's send that ref back to Mali and keep him there!

jvp
06-21-2010, 12:10 PM
http://www.totalprosports.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/Ahhh-My-Face.gif

goonster
06-21-2010, 12:37 PM
http://www.gifbin.com/bin/1237035219_rivaldo-ball-to-the-face.gif

drewski
06-21-2010, 12:38 PM
Some people see a snoozer, others see a fascinating example of how to stymie the world's most creative players with extremely limited soccer resources.

The belly-aching about the Jabulani is pathetic. It's the same thing every four years. Adidas introduces the new ball (has to be reinvented every four years so the marketing department has a purpose), and everybody grouses. In four years' time, everyone will wax nostalgic about the good old reliable Jabulani.

As far as the Vuvuzela's are concerned . . . deal with it. It's what they do in South Africa. The Vuvuzelas are one of the few genuinely expressions of local fan-dom that are making it over the airwaves into your home as part of the pasteurized FIFA entertainment package designed for global consumption. Not everyone is enamored with rousing renditions of "There's only one [insert player of the moment]" or "Who ate all the pies?" either. If nothing else, they have indelibly branded all the games. Generations from now, if you watch a clip of this World Cup, you'll know when and where that game happened. The officials have headsets, and the players should be used to noisy stadia, if they play for a club that's any good.

Germany will come down to earth. I'm not counting them out, but they won't romp through the tournament the way they did against Australia. I guess that Jogi Loew really is a damn good manager. Germany overachieved at the last World Cup too, and surely he deserves some of the credit for that, especially in light of Juergen Klinsmann's subsequent fall from the pantheon of great soccer geniuses. The importance of the manager at the World Cup can't be overstated, and this is where Argentina's greatest weakness lies. If they do well it is in spite of Maradona. " . . . sigan chupando", etc.

Maradona may not be the best coach tactically but it sure makes for
interesting theatre. I think he knows how to enjoy life and I think
the Argentine's look very focused. Argentina looks very formidable. They seem to score very early and make other teams have to adjust to their tactics. The big test will be when they play in the quarter finals. Lets see how they adjust to playing a great defensive club. Amazing to me, that South America is undefeated in the Word cup so far. I wonder why?

rwsaunders
06-21-2010, 01:17 PM
That has to be the biggest flop that I've ever seen. I'd like to hear the ref's version of how he called it.

rwsaunders
06-23-2010, 11:09 AM
I wouldn't call today's match a snoozer....more great reffing (right), but offensive pressure won the match. Good performance by the Algerian keeper, btw.

goonster
06-23-2010, 11:20 AM
Not a snoozer any more.

The top German soccer mag said of the U.S. that "no win is more richly deserved."

True that. The U.S. never whined about the calls, went about their business, were not afraid to take great risks to control their own destiny, and are finally rewarded with the group win.

We can't quite call Landon Donovan the American soccer messiah, but he's a guy who has long been saddled with a reputation for underperforming when the pressure is greatest. He has laid that to rest here, not just with some clutch goals, but with top-class performances all around.

SEABREEZE
06-23-2010, 11:24 AM
Donavan scored the winning goal today against Algeria

Right place at right time

tele
06-23-2010, 11:45 AM
and give some credit to Coach Bradley for making aggressive line up changes and attacker subs. Winning their group is huge for the draw of the quarterfinals.

jhcakilmer
06-23-2010, 11:53 AM
Not a snoozer any more.

The top German soccer mag said of the U.S. that "no win is more richly deserved."

True that. The U.S. never whined about the calls, went about their business, were not afraid to take great risks to control their own destiny, and are finally rewarded with the group win.

We can't quite call Landon Donovan the American soccer messiah, but he's a guy who has long been saddled with a reputation for underperforming when the pressure is greatest. He has laid that to rest here, not just with some clutch goals, but with top-class performances all around.

+1 USA had the pressure on, the entire game, with many, many close calls, and in the end came down with a well deserved goal! :banana:

Climb01742
06-23-2010, 12:01 PM
that was f-ing exciting. the boys sure earned+deserved that one. tim howard made some amazing distributions late. and when donovan had destiny on his boot, he rose to the moment. sports is/are glorious.

goonster
06-23-2010, 12:11 PM
and give some credit to Coach Bradley for making aggressive line up changes and attacker subs.
+1. That was a very aggressive lineup.

Bradley was widely perceived as an interim coach initially, and has fought an uphill battle to keep his job. In retrospect, he strikes exactly the right balance of daring vs. caution that Bruce Arena ultimately failed to do.

This looks like a well-prepared, united team and there are many examples of the opposite at the World Cup. Bradley deserves a huge amount of credit, and a fat raise.

drewski
06-23-2010, 12:34 PM
USA vs. Algeria what a fantastic ending. I was screaming my head off.
Our boys did us proud.

Tim Howard was a phenom. Maybe in 8 years we will be in finals.

johnnymossville
06-23-2010, 12:57 PM
Notice how Algeria got incredibly sloppy at the end. They were worn out. I think the USA's constant pressure and better fitness won the day!

rwsaunders
06-23-2010, 02:15 PM
From the Guardian in the UK.....Bill Clinton was at this game, probably reflecting for 92 minutes that he scored more often than this lot. The USA won the match and Group C in the most dramatic circumstances possible, Landon Donovan's goal relegating England to second place just when they thought they had secured the top spot. The USA left it late but there can be no arguing with the justice of the final table. England scored twice in three matches. The USA scored four, and had a perfectly good winner chalked off against Slovenia.

SEABREEZE
06-23-2010, 06:04 PM
From the Guardian in the UK.....Bill Clinton was at this game, probably reflecting for 92 minutes that he scored more often than this lot. The USA won the match and Group C in the most dramatic circumstances possible, Landon Donovan's goal relegating England to second place just when they thought they had secured the top spot. The USA left it late but there can be no arguing with the justice of the final table. England scored twice in three matches. The USA scored four, and had a perfectly good winner chalked off against Slovenia.

Actually the cameraman found Clinton in the stands

johnnymossville said I think the USA's constant pressure and better fitness won the day! I agree

rw sanders said Good performance by the Algerian keeper, btw.
He was outstanding

rustychisel
06-23-2010, 07:58 PM
It was an excellent game, and the US looked very very good, just (like many other teams) incapable of getting them final shot in the net. Thank goodness for Donovan's goal.

Anyone see Rooney's face in the England match when his long range shot hit the upright?? Poor little lad was so red faced he looked like he was about to cry.

wc1934
06-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Things will get real interesting in the knock out rounds - no room for errors. My thoughts:
While most believe Brasil and Argentina are the heavy favorites, don't count out Netherlands, Portugal, maybe even Spain, Germany and the defending champs - Italia(looking for their 5th star).
I am so glad that France imploded - they should not have been in the wc as T. Henry's handball goal should have been disallowed.
Germany vs England will be like old times.
US will beat Ghana.

retrogrouchy
06-23-2010, 09:06 PM
Not a snoozer any more.

+100! Finally, we saw heartfelt, aggressive play for an ENTIRE game by many players, smart coaching, fabulous goalkeeping (remember, our keeper made the smart, quick throw out to Landon that created the game-winning opportunity), excellent defending, and no whining. In short, all of the pieces that you need to have a high probabability of winning at that level, regardless of what things don't go in your favor during the game. Beautiful stuff, that game! The best game I've ever seen out US team play, anyways.... :banana:

P.S. did y'all see the half-field throw by the US goalie at one point? Whoa, that's about a 50-meter toss of a soccer ball!

retrogrouchy
06-23-2010, 09:13 PM
Actually the cameraman found Clinton in the stands

johnnymossville said I think the USA's constant pressure and better fitness won the day! I agree

rw sanders said Good performance by the Algerian keeper, btw.
He was outstanding

Yes, I third that motion regarding the Algerian goalie. Seriously fine performance under pressure. When the camera cut to him at the end, and he started looking dejected, I actually said out loud "fabulous performance mate, not your fault for sure..." :)

Volant
06-26-2010, 10:50 PM
Today's match-up against the US and Ghana was a disappointment for sure.

SEABREEZE
06-27-2010, 07:28 AM
To bad USA didnt come to play in the first half, they did come alive in second half.

Announcers did comment that they havnt seen USA come alive till second half in all there games.

Perhaps Bradley stradergy to preserve energy till second half backfired..

dsteady
06-27-2010, 08:40 AM
US can't keep conceding in the first 10 min and still expect the come from behind victory.

djg
06-27-2010, 09:13 AM
US can't keep conceding in the first 10 min and still expect the come from behind victory.

LA LA LA I AM NOT LISTENING

I'm working on my denial.

Start the clock after we've given up one or two easy goals and we've a very good side indeed. The boys played the game and they played it with heart in the second half and the overtime. Not sure about Altidore, but . . . I dunno, I've got nothing. Trying to pull for England for the next 80 minutes.

SEABREEZE
06-27-2010, 10:25 AM
Watching Germany and England, England just got robbed of a goal, because of the reffs bad call.

Ironially the very same Uruguay reff robbed Italy of a goal, because of a bad call

On both occasions when replayed, it showd clearly it was a goal...

dsteady
06-27-2010, 10:26 AM
That goal wouldn't mean much for England now.

SEABREEZE
06-27-2010, 11:08 AM

Yepp, thats exactaly what I said to my brother

Germany proved to be the better team...

Louis
06-27-2010, 01:17 PM

True, and from what I've read (I did not see the game) Germany was the better team, but the issue is what the goal would have meant going in to halftime, not what it would mean given a 4-1 score. It presumably would have resulted in a different second half.

Given all the officiating issues there have been this WC we'll see if FIFA decides to change anything. I'm guessing not, but you never know.

rbtmcardle
06-27-2010, 01:30 PM
I am a casual soccer fan, but I am a fan. Though I have never played the game at any level above 8th grade gym class... it seems to me, as positive as Bradley has been for the US effort, I cant help but think, when teams start flat consistently the coach / manager certainly carries much of that blame. As a lifelong Eagles fan... I will never forget, Vermeils hard stance with his team that led to a tight, forcing it type of game that ultimately led to Oakland winning the super bowl.

SEABREEZE
06-27-2010, 04:26 PM
True, and from what I've read (I did not see the game) Germany was the better team, but the issue is what the goal would have meant going in to halftime, not what it would mean given a 4-1 score. It presumably would have resulted in a different second half.

Given all the officiating issues there have been this WC we'll see if FIFA decides to change anything. I'm guessing not, but you never know.

Is instant replay allowed in the US pro league.

It certainly would help the refeereing in the WC

retrogrouchy
06-27-2010, 06:44 PM
I am a casual soccer fan, but I am a fan. Though I have never played the game at any level above 8th grade gym class... it seems to me, as positive as Bradley has been for the US effort, I cant help but think, when teams start flat consistently the coach / manager certainly carries much of that blame. As a lifelong Eagles fan... I will never forget, Vermeils hard stance with his team that led to a tight, forcing it type of game that ultimately led to Oakland winning the super bowl.

Not sure how responsibility for more than about 2% of that issue falls on the coach in a World Cup environment. These aren't middle-schoolers we're talking about here. To friggin' do it again in the same game (in extra time) is stoopid. We're a proven-great second-half team, though.... ;)

If you were saying that the coach should have done a better job just prior to this specific game, getting the players' 'feet back on the ground' after the exhilaration of winning the game against Algeria, then I might agree with you more, but since we seem to dig a hole early in every d*** game....

retrogrouchy
06-27-2010, 06:52 PM

I'd put big money on your side of that bet, unfortunately. Unless it is just non-significant window-dressing-type changes.

FIFA is totally hypocritical about this issue - they say they don't want to open the 'Pandora's Box' of using technology to officiate the game, but they already did! The refs. are wired, and can and do get instructions on unseen fouls from each other, as well as from Press-box game officials that can even radio and tell them to eject a player (for example, and Zidane's head-butt four years ago in the finals, while Italy was flopping their way to a World Cup Championship is the best example of that process). Utter hogwash from an organization that is beholden to no one (gee, sounds like, oh, I dunno, the UCI maybe?). :crap:

1centaur
06-27-2010, 07:57 PM
I wouldn't say the US was ever great, but they did look like they belonged in the tournament.

Looking at the draw, Germany, Argentina, Spain and Portugal on one side means Brazil has a relatively easy path to the final - Chile, Netherlands, Uruguay would seem to be the path, or if we're lucky Ghana in the semis.

Argentina vs. Germany looks like a good match, but both teams are good at playing keep away when they get ahead, so after the first goal it may be a let down - hope not.

retrogrouchy
06-27-2010, 08:33 PM
I wouldn't say the US was ever great, but they did look like they belonged in the tournament.

Looking at the draw, Germany, Argentina, Spain and Portugal on one side means Brazil has a relatively easy path to the final - Chile, Netherlands, Uruguay would seem to be the path, or if we're lucky Ghana in the semis.

Argentina vs. Germany looks like a good match, but both teams are good at playing keep away when they get ahead, so after the first goal it may be a let down - hope not.

Agreed. I will be watching that final game, I think....

rustychisel
06-27-2010, 08:47 PM
from a casual observers point of view, the US at some times looked like a very complete football team and thoroughly deserved to be where they were. They could hold their heads up high.

On the other hand, the English looked unlike a team who had trained together, there was no midfield of defenders cohesion - well, that was easy to say, see how easily the Germans ripped them apart. I tipped Germany 4-0. The downside: Lampard's goal which went unregistered is a disgrace because of the impact it may have had upon the game as a whole. It's total speculation and I'm sure the Germans would have won anyway, but now we'll never know because of some appalling officiating. Again!!

PS: might be Portugal's turn this year...

Louis
06-27-2010, 09:10 PM

This game has the potential to be a great one. I think I'll go out of my way to watch it. (Actually, I have to, since I don't have a TV) Unless I'm out riding...

goonster
07-02-2010, 11:33 AM
Dunga had the right approach, but the wrong players, I think. You can't expect Robinho to be an anchor in midfield six months after washing out of Man City, and it's absolutely inexcusable to have Felipe Melo sent off after his shocking performance against Portugal.

Holland have shown real resiliency but are, like Spain, struggling to score goals. RVP has not really been convincing all tournament, unlike David Villa who's looked dangerous and unlucky throughout.

Louis
07-02-2010, 11:43 AM
Holland have shown real resiliency

Unlike Brazil. I didn't watch the game, but from what I read they fell apart after the own-goal even though the score was only tied.

Inexcusable. If you're good you come back from stuff like that.

Assuming they beat Germany, it looks like it's Argentina's year. Maradona is not my favorite guy on the field...

Ozz
07-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Dunga had the right approach, but the wrong players, I think. You can't expect Robinho to be an anchor in midfield six months after washing out of Man City, and it's absolutely inexcusable to have Felipe Melo sent off after his shocking performance against Portugal.

Holland have shown real resiliency but are, like Spain, struggling to score goals. RVP has not really been convincing all tournament, unlike David Villa who's looked dangerous and unlucky throughout.
Can't wait to see the rest of the game tonight! I caught the first half with my sons this morning before work...we were a little down with the half-time result.

I coached a couple kids this past year (including my sons best friend) who are Dutch and it will be fun to talk with them this weekend. They were not too optimistic about their chances when we chatted on Weds...

Now, I just need Spain to put together a good result! I agree about Villa...he seems to be able to get off a dangerous shot from anywhere, with either foot.

Argentina looks good, but I would bet on Germany...there seems to be some bad blood between them, and I would count on the Germans to keep the cooler heads.

Cheers.

tuscanyswe
07-02-2010, 11:47 AM
Unlike Brazil. I didn't watch the game, but from what I read they fell apart after the own-goal even though the score was only tied.

Inexcusable. If you're good you come back from stuff like that.

Assuming they beat Germany, it looks like it's Argentina's year. Maradona is not my favorite guy on the field...

I think spain will take it this year. Argentina have looked better than i thought they would but i believe germany will beat them.

What a horrible ref today. Van bommel no card in this game is an absolute joke. Btw cant stand him! :)

goonster
07-02-2010, 12:01 PM
Argentina looks good, but I would bet on Germany...there seems to be some bad blood between them, and I would count on the Germans to keep the cooler heads.
I agree with you on that, and would also bet that Argentina will not reach the final.

Germany has been rattled and responded. Oezil and Mueller are two of the most on-form players in the tournament. Pre-WC doubt in Germany notwithstanding, Loew is a very astute manager. All national stereotypes aside, this German team is fairly disciplined. Their central defenders have been 100% solid, and now that Boateng is finally starting over Badstuber the whole defense is reliable. It will need to be, because Neuer is not world-class in goal.

Argentina have not been tested. We've seen them hugging and kissing, but not chewing their nails. De Michelis is terrible (for this level), and I can't believe they don't have a better option there. On the other hand, their offensive talent and depth is scary. Good results so far aside, I think they are underperforming, and Maradona has not built a real team. A lot of Higuain's goals were soft. On the other hand, if Messi ever wakes up and finds his rhythm he can almost win a game by himself.

SEABREEZE
07-02-2010, 01:14 PM
After watching Brazil vs Holland.

Three teams to watch for the world cup
Argentina,
Germany,
Holland. Really enjoyed how they played defense against Brazil today.
They played both offence and defense, like they wanted to win, which they did. These guys hussle...

Louis
07-02-2010, 04:08 PM
Uruguay vs. Ghana

Incredible ending...

Ozz
07-02-2010, 04:16 PM
Uruguay vs. Ghana

Incredible ending...
oh my..... :cool:

davidlee
07-02-2010, 04:23 PM
Smartest handball I ever did see!!!
Great finish

Smiley
07-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Ghana is in mourning, craziest ending of any soccer match I have ever seen and won't be forgotten anytime soon. Chokers is the word.

SEABREEZE
07-02-2010, 04:58 PM
One of the best playoff's thus far, a nail bitter for sure

Matt-H
07-02-2010, 05:17 PM
Uruguay vs. Ghana

Incredible ending...

I turned on this match after the 119th minute. Perfect timing!

pbbob
07-02-2010, 07:06 PM
I can't think of another time when cheating has paid off so handsomely.

Louis
07-02-2010, 07:47 PM
I can't think of another time when cheating has paid off so handsomely.

1) France's hand-ball to beat Ireland and qualify for this WC (although some might argue that the meltdown in SA was just deserts)

2) Maradona's "hand of God" incident.

Ozz
07-07-2010, 04:49 PM
Anyone see the game today?

I caught the first half and frankly, I was surprised at how Spain was able to dominate the midfield.....Xavi and Iniesta are quite a duo.

Also, it is about time Torres started on the bench.

Still, I expected more from the Germans....maybe they were still thinking about how easy they had it with Argentina....

Cool that the finals winner will take home the prize for the first time!