PDA

View Full Version : A Friendly Reminder: Check Your Quill Stem

Peter P.
06-13-2010, 11:04 AM
You may not sweat or ride in the rain, but it's still possible for your quill stem to seize in the fork.

I washed my bike yesterday and decided to regrease the stem and seatpost. Well, for the second time my stem was stuck. Fortunately, it only took me about an hour to free it-THIS TIME, and it only cost me a destroyed handlebar taping job while wrenching on the bars. Last time I broke a front axle, using the front wheel for leverage!

For what it's worth, I had used anti-seize compound on both parts and can't really tell whether I have better luck with grease, although I reinstalled both today using grease. Anyone have better luck with either?

eddief
06-13-2010, 11:14 AM
seems i switch bike stuff around so often nothing ever has a chance to seize up.

kong79
06-13-2010, 02:07 PM
I've always used Phil Wood grease and have never had a problem. I'm not saying it's the best, it's just the only thing I've ever used.

thwart
06-13-2010, 02:28 PM
I don't ride in the rain that often, but cheap lithium grease works well for this sort of assembly stuff; never had a problem. I save the Phil's for wheel bearings and such.

d_douglas
06-13-2010, 02:47 PM
I jumped on my bike that sits at my in laws place with so much enthusiasm that I forgot to tighten the quill. As I stood up to pedal up a hill about 100m from their house, the wheel/stem/bar jackknifed, sending me into a curb RIGHT in front of a very attractive jogger. I slightly bent the steel fork, scratched the Ergos and broke a spoke.

When she asked if I was OK, she was stifling laughter.

After greasing stem, ALWAYS tighten the bolt up!