PDA

View Full Version : Rebuilding Old Mavic R Sys Wheels(want spoke nipple advice)

hookookadoo
06-13-2010, 09:10 AM
I weigh about 145 and do more long distance riding than racing and have minimal hills to climb. I am rebuilding my Mavic wheels on an older bike that will not get a lot of ride time. Thus, I told the LBS to throw on lower end spokes and nipples. Will be $85 bucks. Is there any guidance I should give the guys on the build to customize for my riding/weight? Are there any spokes/nipples at the low end that work well for folks or at that level does it really not matter? Thanks!

godfrey1112000
06-13-2010, 01:57 PM
It is risky to cheap out on the most used equipment on your bike,

I would not "low end" anything stick with the OEM specs or up grade to the next level

that is my opinion, I just want to finish the ride each time, good equipment will always allow for a "round trip"

good luck

BumbleBeeDave
06-13-2010, 02:57 PM
. . . but if you are suggesting taking a pair of the (recalled) Mavic R-Sys wheels and replacing the carbon spokes with steel, then I'm not sure that's a good idea.

I'm no engineer (I don't even play one on TV!) but regular steel spoke wheels and rims are designed for the spokes to act only in tension. The R-Sys was designed specifically (though apparently not very well) for carbon spokes to work in tension and compression. The hubs and rims on the R-Sys may also be designed specially to work with spokes that work in tension and compression and therefore it might not be safe to use steel tension-only spokes with those hubs and rims.

If you're trying to save your investment in these wheels by getting rid of the carbon spokes, which seemed to be the problem spot with them, then that's admirable. I'm just not sure it's safe. Going down a hill at 45 mph and finding out putting steel spokes on those rims was not a good idea is not my idea of a great way to end a ride. :eek:

Of course, if you're just doing this to have a set of trainer-only wheels for your basement sweat sessions, then it might be OK!

BBD

Charles M
06-13-2010, 04:21 PM
I wouldn't touch Rsys with a 10 foot pole.

Mavic make some damn nice products but I very honestly wouldn't even test rsys after seeing both the old and new versions when something goes wrong.

That said, there's almost no chance that Rsys are the wheels you're rebuilding.