PDA

View Full Version : OT -- Steve took it, maybe I can too

djg
06-13-2010, 09:09 AM
I reckon some will say "cool," some will throw stones, and some will kibbitz about woulda-coulda-shoulda better choices. But I've been pondering M3s here and there since test driving them a couple of generations ago (and buying a used 328is, which I sold 8 years ago, alas, when it seemed not so useful as a backup vehicle that needed to handle car seats for twins, and a third kid). And for a couple of years I've been plotting to acquire one in "honor" of my hitting fitty, which happens next month.

Found the Porsche discussions interesting and tempting but kept coming back to the M3 -- not a practical car, either, but I really, really wanted a usable back seat and . . . I dunno, I love M3s. It's not about the best or fastest or whateverest car . . . I just really like that package of goods. Just plain fun to drive.

Drove one home yesterday. 2006 with 30k miles on it. One owner, way clean. And fun, all the way home.

SoCalSteve
06-13-2010, 10:02 AM
Pictures! We gotta see pictures...

M3's are great cars. Good choice.

Congratulations and many, many happy and healthy miles.

Steve

snah
06-13-2010, 08:19 PM
Buy it, then post photos!!! :beer:

M3 is a fantastic car, arguably the best choice for a sports sedan with a "useable" back seat. Not a winter weather vehicle, but that may not be an issue were you live.

Enjoy the ride..... :banana:

gemship
06-13-2010, 08:43 PM
Since you already took it home there's no sense in criticizing you for it. Who care's, I assume it's not cutting into the mortgage or kid's college fund.

Good luck.

I actually sort of envy both you and SoCalSteve. I like his car and your car and I could afford to pay cash for both of those cars with turbo charging but I'm way to practical, frugal with my loot. Cars just don't do much for me I think I know I'll have a after the fact guilt trip and I just don't want to give too much to the oil men.

like I said good luck.

maximus
06-13-2010, 09:15 PM
Congrats! The e46 may be the best "practical" sports car ever built.

I was 16 and freshly licensed when I first noticed them. 15 years later I finally have one of my own. It took a long time to earn it - but it was well worth the wait. My wife may love it more than me. I don't really need to jump into the merits of the driving experience. It's all been said before...

My real baby is the e30.

I am going to kick off the picture sharing - since it seems mandatory you share some of your own!!

djg
06-13-2010, 09:46 PM
Here's one -- not for the faint-of-heart purist, because it's a damn convertible, but it's not for the track and the kids seem to think putting the top down is the greatest thing since sliced ice cream.

Louis
06-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Since we're posting pictures of nifty sports cars, my new favorite hatchback - 2010 ALFA Giulietta (not mine, not available in the US)

http://image.europeancarweb.com/f/27362458/epcp_0912_02_o+2010_alfa_romeo_giulietta+right_rea r.jpg

ahumblecycler
06-14-2010, 07:44 PM
I live in MO so you may be able to capitalize on this plate I saw today cycling about ...

On a Z4 "BMMMW"

Looking at it, I have to say it looks stupid. But you actually verbally say it, well, do it and you will see.