PDA

View Full Version : Using a 11spd Campy chain with 10spd

spierfalls
06-11-2010, 09:56 PM
I have an older 10spd Record group and I just put a new 10spd cassette coupled with a new 11spd chain. Is this suppose to work ok? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the silky smoth shift that I'm used to. Anyone?
Thanks and I appreciate any suggestions

mike

Dave
06-12-2010, 07:40 AM
Officially, it's not recommended, but Campy says a lot of things are not recommended that work fine. The bigger question is why you'd pay more for a chain that requires a special tool to install and won't last as long, when you don't have to.

When adjusting you RD, alwasy adjust the cable tension to the minimum that produces good shifts to larger cogs first. After that, see how the shifts to smaller cogs works. With the new ultrashift levers, cable friction issues can foul-up the shifts to smaller cogs. Some people don't recognize this when they are adjusting the cable tension and go back and forth chasing the right tension, when the real proble is something else.

Always check the RD hanger alignment, even if the bike is new.

oldpotatoe
06-12-2010, 12:26 PM
I have an older 10spd Record group and I just put a new 10spd cassette coupled with a new 11spd chain. Is this suppose to work ok? I'm having a bit of trouble getting the silky smoth shift that I'm used to. Anyone?
Thanks and I appreciate any suggestions

mike

It will not work as well as any 10s chain. Index/click shifting systems require a certain width of chain, and a too narrow chain won't shift well. Like a 9s chain on a 8s system or a 10s chain on a 9s system.

BTW-11s snap links are readily available now. Expensive but they work fine.

I have some.

BengeBoy
06-12-2010, 12:27 PM
BTW-11s snap links are readily available now. Expensive but they work fine.

I have some.

what brand of snap links are you using?

oldpotatoe
06-12-2010, 12:35 PM
what brand of snap links are you using?

Craig/Forester..got them from Ochsner, a distributor in Chicago.

spierfalls
06-12-2010, 01:43 PM
Thanks for the info. I think I'll try using a 10spd chain.