PDA

View Full Version : Park tools (so I can do it myself)

norcalbiker
06-11-2010, 02:01 PM
Where is a good place to buy some Park Tools?
I need to start working on my own bike. If I can take an engine out of my motorcycle and put it back, I should be able to work on my bike.

My LBS wants up to $300.00 for a tune-up. Holy Smoke!!! :crap:

rugbysecondrow
06-11-2010, 02:07 PM
I need to start working on my own bike. If I can take an engine out of my motorcycle and put it back, I should be able to work on my bike.

Jigga Wha!!!!!

$300 for a tune up...mine charges $54 plus any parts. I would say you can buy them as needed from your local shop, but that seems to be a dead end. Check out Amazon.com for kits, but I have just started assembling tools piece by piece.

130R
06-11-2010, 02:15 PM
where in "norcal" is this shop?

johnnymossville
06-11-2010, 02:19 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Park-Tool-Advanced-Mechanic-Kit/dp/B002OVA88C

that and a nice stand and you'll have a nice set of tools for life.

GregL
06-11-2010, 02:51 PM
http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-catalog-qc30/tool-repair-c29.htm

Great selection, great prices, fast (and reasonably cheap) shipping, great customer service. Very helpful on the phone if you need additional assistance.

-Greg

johnnymossville
06-11-2010, 02:58 PM
http://aebike.com/parts-accessories-catalog-qc30/tool-repair-c29.htm

Great selection, great prices, fast (and reasonably cheap) shipping, great customer service. Very helpful on the phone if you need additional assistance.

-Greg

Bought stuff from them and agree, top notch experience (ordering/price/on phone)

PaulE
06-11-2010, 03:02 PM
Get the Park name and part number from their website, then google it. You will find lots of places selling it. Also go to www.qbike.com and www.bestwebbuys.com/bikes and search for the Park part number. Don't forget eBay either, that's where I got my TS-2 and spoke tensionometer when Microsoft was giving back 30% rebates!

bigreen505
06-11-2010, 03:41 PM
I would also add that you don't always need the highest quality tools. There are some tools that only the best will do, but there are some that only are used occasionally where you pay a premium for Park with little benefit.

MattTuck
06-11-2010, 04:15 PM
I've been told by some bike mechanics to go to sears and pick up a craftsman Torque wrench. lifetime warranty (aka, lifetime of sears)... and cheaper than a "bike specific" one.

norcalbiker
06-11-2010, 05:28 PM
I do have plenty of tools. I just need some of those bike specific like Crankset and BB remover, etc...

oldpotatoe
06-12-2010, 12:31 PM

Methinks the 'tuneup' is more akin to an 'overhaul'..for that $. Like take the bike apart, including headset and hubs, ders, pulleys off, chainrings off, etc.

Songline
06-12-2010, 01:18 PM
I've been told by some bike mechanics to go to sears and pick up a craftsman Torque wrench. lifetime warranty (aka, lifetime of sears)... and cheaper than a "bike specific" one.

I have a Craftsman torque wrench (beam type). It works great and was only $35 or so. One thing to keep in mind, though, is that the Craftsman click type torque wrenches come with a warranty for only one year. Craftsman beam type torque wrenches have a lifetime warranty.

avalonracing
06-12-2010, 01:59 PM
I would also add that you don't always need the highest quality tools. There are some tools that only the best will do, but there are some that only are used occasionally where you pay a premium for Park with little benefit.

+1
I have a fairly nice assortment of bike tools and some are part but others are not and they work just fine.

Also, if you can work on your MC a bicycle will be a breeze. Now the other way around, that is giving me a harder time.