PDA

View Full Version : Cycling Trip - Shenandoah and Staunton, VA

srenda
06-11-2010, 01:09 PM
All,

I ended up with an extra week off from work and was thinking about heading out to Staunton, VA for 4 days to ride. I live in Washington, DC and was out there once several years ago for a day trip, but haven't been back since. Can anybody give me tips on where to stay, rides (I don't have a bike GPS), restaurants, etc. Could I stay in downtown Staunton and then do a whole bunch of out and backs? All help is appreciated. Thinking next Wed. to Sun.

Thanks,
Scott

rustychain
06-11-2010, 08:20 PM
There is a bike shop called Black Dog cycles in town. The were very helpful with suggestions and maps. A trip to Blacksburg will give much better options IMO. The Skyline Drive out of Front Royal is also great. Also nearby is the town of Washington Va. Great rides and lots of wine tours

Smiley
06-11-2010, 09:25 PM
ride your fixee..... :)

just kidding ofcourse, did a fit and sold some excess inventory for one to the ex owners of Black Dog

rdparadise
06-12-2010, 12:09 AM
The Bicycle Coalition used to have a Shanendoah Fall Festival weekend that started in Staunton, VA. Great rides up to the parkway and in the valley. You may search for them online and inquire about cue sheets.

Additionally, I would search for some bike clubs in the area via Google. That usually works.

Good luck,

Bob

Ps. If you stay on the East side of the ridge Too Tall ran his cycling camp from there and has lots of rides I would imagine. You can find him across the hall most times.