PDA

View Full Version : When your ego is larger than you are.

dixiesdad
06-10-2010, 01:53 PM
So I am riding last night in Cherry Creek RES. Denver and the made the stupid mistake of riding around the dam on the sidewalk. Normally stay on the road. Was decending to make a hard left turn and one of the sidewalk "racers" (those who own a specialized and think success is measured by the speed generated on the downhill, on a sidewalk, that is shared by runners, walkers and sometimes stollers) came flying up behind me and parked about 2 feet from my wheel. I was afraid that I might get taken down on the turn, so hand signaled that I was indeed turning left. Zippy then continued taligating after the turn until I asked that he pass me as I was not racing. The next few minutes were taken up by Zippy threatening to KICK my butt as he took offense to me suggesting a cat 4 license would allow him more excitement than riding on the sidewalk at the park and being dangerous. I had to laugh as I was also accused of being an old an man, which I am, and him deciding whether he wanted to hurt me. The sad part was that his ego was so hurt he just could not listen to my message which was to slow down on the sidewalk, and not run into some one. I saw a cyclist on a stretcher 4 days ago 50 feet away who had eaten it due to the same issue. Oh well got my broom wagen shirt from France today so all is well.

johnnymossville
06-10-2010, 02:15 PM
It's best to stay as far away as possible from that kind of guy. You are right, a couple CAT V races would do that guy some good. There's always about a half dozen in the pack screaming at each other just like him.

MattTuck
06-10-2010, 02:18 PM
Should have waited 'til his front wheel overlapped with your rear, then taken him out. Just kidding.

There are jerks in every corner of life.

http://site.despair.com/images/dpage/goals03.jpg

thegunner
06-10-2010, 07:36 PM
sounds like the sidewalk version of central park :D good stuff

Steve in SLO
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Matt,
Is your "Goals" poster from www.despair.com ?
That's one of the great all-time websites and product lines.

tim11
06-10-2010, 08:00 PM
Ugh. Been there many times, and the CC res loop seems to be getting worse this year. Lately I've been encountering outsized jerks on the Platte River trail down by Confluence Park, which is usually packed with kids and dogs. Go figure. At least there are plenty of great roads to ride in the foothills on the weekends.

rugbysecondrow
06-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Dekonick and I were riding a few months back when we came to a scene with cops on both sides of the two lane rural road, people walking about and essentially a road narrowing to one lane. We slowed because we were obviously riding through something but had no idea what it was. Suddenlly from the rear, some lady cyclists chastized us for slowing down and accused us of gawking and we should get out of the way. We let these two kitted out ladies pass us with a terse "mind you f'ing business", but seriously, if there was ever a time to slow down, it would be then.

The most humerous part was that these ladies were kitted out in matching gear like they were hot stuff, but they were wicked slow and they proceeded to ride side by side at their pedestrian pace on a paved path through the park. What made it even better was that Dekonick and I were riding fixed and were very conversational and we cruised behind them.

At Bike DC, a family bike ride, the kitted out guys and gals racing, weaving and cursing was so funny. Do they know how stupid they look riding like on what is essentially a pleasure cruise? Douchebags.

Can I like bike riders but hate cyclists?

MattTuck
06-10-2010, 08:50 PM
Matt,
Is your "Goals" poster from www.despair.com ?
That's one of the great all-time websites and product lines.

You got it. You can waste a good hour on that site looking at all the stuff they have and laughing.

dixiesdad
06-10-2010, 08:53 PM
the word douche bag is so under used. I recently returned for France and was always asked if I was going to douche. was confused until realized was a shower only ;)

scrooge
06-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Must have been the day for it...worst wheel suckers for me last night too (Platte River trail, however). However, I've not had much trouble for the most part this year. It helps to be slow.

vqdriver
06-11-2010, 01:16 AM

yes

for some reason, this new crop of cyclists has an incomprehensible sense of entitlement.

Steve in SLO
06-11-2010, 01:34 AM

Perhaps you like bike riders but hate bike riders pretending to be cyclists?

thegunner
06-11-2010, 01:44 AM
the word douche bag is so under used. I recently returned for France and was always asked if I was going to douche. was confused until realized was a shower only ;)

you must've graduated from college a long time ago didn't you? :)

(on that note, i respect my elders and mean no disrespect with that statement)

johnnymossville
06-11-2010, 06:06 AM
A douche a day keeps the doctor away.

JohnHemlock
06-11-2010, 08:27 AM
I also enjoy the "Wash Park Time Trialist."