PDA

View Full Version : Race Across America 2010

fiamme red
06-10-2010, 01:04 PM
Jure Robic is averaging over 20 mph after time station 7. That's 441.65 miles in 21h 53m.

Judging from the average speeds of the other riders, I'd guess that they've had tailwinds so far.

http://competitor.com/2010/06/other-sites/news/raams-first-starters-roll-out-of-oceanside-california_5653

Four-time winner Jure Robic of Slovenia is the favorite and reportedly has vowed to break the long-standing record of an average speed of 15.4 mph set by RAAM pioneer Pete Penseyres back in 1986. With there being variations in the course each year, average speed has long been the accepted means of comparing riders and years. In his quest for speed Robic has been racing in traditional road races on an Italian Pro-Am team and has posted some top finishes and even some wins—not bad for a 45 year old.

dekindy
06-10-2010, 01:43 PM
Anybody hear why he dropped out last year? Was he/his team upset by the penalties or did he have a medical issue? I would assume that at the station (50 something) that he had to serve the penalty (RAAM officials had the option of making him wait at a station specified in the ules or adding the penalty time to his uninterrupted finish time) there was a significant possibility that he could not make a rational decision and his team could have made an emotional decision because of there objection to the penalties.

To recap, my understanding is that he had a penalty for urinating at the start line and an illegal pass on the interstate, and one other penalty that I cannot remember. I think he had two, 15-minute penalties and a 30-minute penalty.

fiamme red
06-10-2010, 01:50 PM
Anybody hear why he dropped out last year? Was he/his team upset by the penalties or did he have a medical issue? I would assume that at the station (50 something) that he had to serve the penalty (RAAM officials had the option of making him wait at a station specified in the ules or adding the penalty time to his uninterrupted finish time) there was a significant possibility that he could not make a rational decision and his team could have made an emotional decision because of there objection to the penalties.

To recap, my understanding is that he had a penalty for urinating at the start line and an illegal pass on the interstate, and one other penalty that I cannot remember. I think he had two, 15-minute penalties and a 30-minute penalty.He dropped out because he felt that his penalties were unfair, and he knew that once they were assessed, he was going to lose to Wyss. He wouldn't have dropped out if he had been several hours ahead of Wyss so that the penalties didn't matter.

goonster
06-10-2010, 02:02 PM
there was a significant possibility that he could not make a rational decision and his team could have made an emotional decision because of there objection to the penalties.
Jure and his team are on record as saying that late in RAAM he sometimes enters a zone where the team makes all critical decisions for him. With that level of reliance on his team, and his record of experience in this event, there is zero room for anyone to suggest that the decision to withdraw was somehow a rash one, not fully understood or authorized by Jure, atmo.

dekindy
06-10-2010, 03:47 PM
Jure and his team are on record as saying that late in RAAM he sometimes enters a zone where the team makes all critical decisions for him. With that level of reliance on his team, and his record of experience in this event, there is zero room for anyone to suggest that the decision to withdraw was somehow a rash one, not fully understood or authorized by Jure, atmo.

I would speculate, based upon RAAM videos that I have viewed of Jure specifically and other riders in general is at that point in the race the team made the decision and I would agree that it was fully understood.

However it had to be an emotional one. Rationally, isn't finishing in any place preferable to quitting if not forced to? You can always criticize, protest, or appeal penalties but you cannot go back and undo quitting. I thought quitting was very poor sportsmanship.

I really dislike Jure's team. The 2004 RAAM video (Jure's second year of competing and first victory after being Rookie of the Year in 2003) shows his team shadowing and charging his most worthy competitor with cheating. Initially the charges seemed legitimate but subsequent comments by the team cast serious doubt about their sincerity. The tactic worked because overnight Mike Trevino, a RAAM rookie and complete unknown, faltered due to the allegations. Previous to that and for the rest of the ride he rode at a pace equal to Jure and might have won.

goonster
06-10-2010, 10:22 PM
Rationally, isn't finishing in any place preferable to quitting if not forced to?
It would be for me, and probably would be for most solo RAAM racers, but it might not be for Jure. When you have won it multiple times, what's the value of narrowly coming in second?

I totally agree that it was very poor sportsmanship, but I can also empathize with any RAAM racer who is assessed a time penalty for what they perceive as a tiny infraction. The rules are enforced sporadically by necessity, since you can't possibly have an official at every stoplight.

gone
06-10-2010, 10:44 PM
I thought quitting was very poor sportsmanship.

I really dislike Jure's team. The 2004 RAAM video (Jure's second year of competing and first victory after being Rookie of the Year in 2003) shows his team shadowing and charging his most worthy competitor with cheating. Initially the charges seemed legitimate but subsequent comments by the team cast serious doubt about their sincerity. The tactic worked because overnight Mike Trevino, a RAAM rookie and complete unknown, faltered due to the allegations. Previous to that and for the rest of the ride he rode at a pace equal to Jure and might have won.

Agree 1000% with everything you've said here. I saw the same video as you and the gamesmanship displayed by Jure's team was disgusting and reflected very poorly on him. I admire the accomplishment but do not admire the man.

dekindy
06-11-2010, 04:20 PM
I was reading some RAAM blogs and saw a mention that Jure Robic's team is brand new for 2010.

fiamme red
06-11-2010, 04:29 PM
I was reading some RAAM blogs and saw a mention that Jure Robic's team is brand new for 2010.http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/06/news/raam-is-jure-robic-on-record-pace-for-solo-men_120599

Much has changed for Robic since 2009. Having reached the Slovenian Army’s mandatory retirement age of 45, he is no longer in the military. So after many years of having funding from the Slovenian Army and a support crew made up entirely of Slovenian soldiers, this year’s effort is a bit smaller and is staffed entirely by civilians.

BumbleBeeDave
06-11-2010, 08:45 PM
Are competitors required to "hold it" all the way across the country? :eek:

BBD

To recap, my understanding is that he had a penalty for urinating at the start line and an illegal pass on the interstate, and one other penalty that I cannot remember. I think he had two, 15-minute penalties and a 30-minute penalty.

dekindy
06-11-2010, 09:38 PM
Are competitors required to "hold it" all the way across the country? :eek:

BBD

No. However, it would obviously be prudent not to take a leak at the start line in front of spectators and the press. Taking a leak on the bike out during a Tour De France stage in a remote area is acceptable but not at noon on the pier in Oceanside, CA, USA. I am not privy to the particulars but would be fairly sure it was outrageous or they would not penalize a 4-time RAAM winner and a favorite to repeat in the current year. Also illegally passing on the relatively short span of interstate (50 or 70? miles for that year's route) that have specific, very detailed rules probably deserves a penalty since the rules are for the safety of the riders. I cannot remember the third penalty so I would have to consult my reply to a thread last year to jog my memory.

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 11:33 AM
http://road.cc/content/news/18736-raam-update-hallucinations-set-after-week-road

"It's always the same", ninth placed Rob Morlock tells the latest video diary. "The white lines, the vegetation starts to look like elf shoes. Basically comes alive. It's crazy". While there's people out there that'd pay good money for that kind of experience it's not the sort of thing you want to happen while you're on a bike, at night, in the desert. It just goes to show that there's more to ultra distance riding than simply being fit.

Charles M
06-15-2010, 12:02 PM
Agree 1000% with everything you've said here. I saw the same video as you and the gamesmanship displayed by Jure's team was disgusting and reflected very poorly on him. I admire the accomplishment but do not admire the man.

I wish David Goggins were healthy this year and didnt need another heart surgery (for lots of reasons beyond this...).

Because of Jure's team BS and his absolute **** attitude, I would have loved not only to see the mind games be completely useless but would have also enjoyed watching the Navy Seals version of mind games in return (not that they would have responded at all...)... It would be kinda funny to watch Jure's being observed by a sea stallion hovering in front of him and watch his speed drop facing the 50 mph headwind from the prop blast (a nice trick used in bike racing in the past, when the host nations riders were not present in the breakaway...)

I don't respect that kind of thing and have no desire what so ever to see someone that does these kinds of things benefit at all.

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 01:20 PM
Anyone know what happened to Gerhard Gulewicz? He was right behind Robic, and now he's still at TS 26? Has he DNF'ed? :confused:

BCS
06-15-2010, 01:28 PM
looks like a typo. Passed TS #34 at 13:05

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcts.php?s_N_TimeStation_ID=1744&s_N_Year_ID=33

fiamme red
06-15-2010, 01:30 PM
looks like a typo. Passed TS #34 at 13:05

http://www.raceacrossamerica.org/raam/rcts.php?s_N_TimeStation_ID=1744&s_N_Year_ID=33You're right. I just noticed the error. So he's about 60 miles behind Robic.