PDA

View Full Version : Pickle juice for cramps

fiamme red
06-10-2010, 09:42 AM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-muscle-cramps/?emc=eta1

And perhaps, if you can stomach the idea, pack a few ounces of pickle juice on your next training session. It’s not as palatable as bananas, but unlike them, “it seems to work,” Dr. Miller says.

michael white
06-10-2010, 09:47 AM
ok, this is interesting. Could we get a report from someone who cramps frequently? take some pickle juice in a second bottle?

Bytesiz
06-10-2010, 09:52 AM
Pickle juice has been mentioned before for cramps...

http://www.google.com/#hl=en&source=hp&q=pickle+juice+for+cramps

Never could bring myself around to try it though...

rdparadise
06-10-2010, 09:53 AM
In 2000 the Philadelphia Eagles used pickle juice to stem the effects of the heat on opening day in Dallas. The outcome, they whooped the "Boys" that day.

I believe the large sodium content in pickle juice was what did the trick.

Bob

gemship
06-10-2010, 10:03 AM
This is actually similar to the use of Apple Cider Vinegar/White Vinegar mixed with water remedies. ;)

Seramount
06-10-2010, 10:06 AM
pickle juice? I'd rather have cramps.

csm
06-10-2010, 10:08 AM
I've been using pickle spears in my dirty vodka martinis lately. the pickle juice gives it a bit of "bite." the pickles are from last yrs garden and I used some peppers in the brine.
haven't had any cramping.

tv_vt
06-10-2010, 10:22 AM
Yeah, kosher dill pickle 'juice' - I've taken straight from the jar in the fridge. Lots of salt, and I like dill pickles, so no problem.

Gets a good reaction from the missus, too :p

johnnymossville
06-10-2010, 10:27 AM
Just had a nasty cramp the other night while out on a training ride. I'm gonna give the pickle juice thing a try since I love dill pickles.

fiamme red
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Emily O'Brien, who has done some incredible rides on her fixed-gear (BMB, Furnace Creek 508 twice, PBP, Endless Mountains 1000, to name just a few), swears by dill pickles, as the greatest bike food ever.

In fact, you can buy "Dill Pickle Bags," handmade by Emily, at Harris Cyclery (http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/bags/ortlieb.html).

msl819
06-10-2010, 10:35 AM
i spent several years coaching high school football in houston texas and we had many cramping issues during the early games of the season when the heat was still unbearable. We literally tried everything. We tried pickle juice, having some kids nurse a bottle of pedialyte the day of a game, gatorade, iv's before the game and at half-time. you name it we tried it. The strangest one that i heard that someone swore by was sleeping with a bar of ivory soap in your bed against the areas that were having issues with cramping. What i have found to be true is that unless there is a huge electrolyte imbalance there is no substitute for water. All the other products are good but proper hydration is still key. Not only so but for those who will be exposed to the heat and effort frequently this must be something that is always attended to, not just on the days that you will be exercising. we would tell our athletes that if they were getting behind on their hydration early in the week they would never be able to get caught up on friday. to stay on topic of the op, we did see many good results with pickle juice. i for one would take pickle juice over pedialyte. but then again i do love me some dill pickles.

jvp
06-10-2010, 11:18 AM
How much would one drink? A few swallows? A cup? A full bottle?

clweed
06-10-2010, 02:26 PM
There were Pickle Pops (http://bobspicklepops.com/) at the rest areas at a recent organized Century, to be honest they were pretty refreshing....even at 8:00 am

xjoex
06-10-2010, 03:24 PM
I carry pretzels with me in a little baggy for salt, it has really saved me from bonking many times.

-Joe

ahumblecycler
06-10-2010, 03:27 PM
MS150 has been using pickle juice for years ... :rolleyes:

cmg
06-10-2010, 04:09 PM
did the tour de cure this year in San Antonio. hot day, felt the signs that i going to cramp, drank 8oz around the 30-35 rest stop, then did it again at 50 mile rest stop. did'nt cramp. i think it helps on 90 degree plus days.

Mike748
06-10-2010, 04:39 PM
MS150 has been using pickle juice for years ... :rolleyes:

A staple at the Hotter than Hell rest areas too.

Lifelover
06-11-2010, 08:00 AM
I hope to try it sometime. I'm a life long cramper and have done a fair amount of internet research on the subject.

While 99% of the common folk think it is electrolyte related, my researched indicated that the "pros" don't all agree what causes them. Most likely, they are caused by different things in different folks.

I'm 95% sure that it is not as simple as a Hydration/electro issue for me.

Next time I'm suffering I will try some pickle juice.

sg8357
06-11-2010, 08:43 AM
If you can't find pickle juice at the Stop N' Rob,
try a regular V8, 420g sodium + 470g potassium.

A banana, has about 450g potassium.

ahumblecycler
06-11-2010, 08:52 AM
@Lifelover ... try to follow my train of thought which is based on zero research

Companies (e.g., Gatorade) has done a marvelous job convincing the public that even 15 minutes of activity requires drinking sugar laden, electrolyte drinks. The slightly smarter individuals go for the reduced sugar or suger-free version. The smartest people likely to error on the side of water and natural sources of electrolytes such as pickle juice.

What I believe all of us can agree upon is that it is a tolerance issue, which is ultimately a personal thing. As I want everyone to ride, I say why not try the pickle juice. I would suggest heavy dilution in the beginning as some juice can be eye opening (depends on how you react to that sour, tangy taste). If it does the trick, I can only encourage you to do some additional research and with some luck be able to identify the tolerance you were able to solve (it may not be an electrolyte issue; the human body is complex and full of riddles). With some luck, identifying the issue will allow you permanently controlling the issue and maximizing cycling pleasure :bike:

Good luck.

Lifelover
06-11-2010, 09:45 AM
@Lifelover ....

The whole issue is fascinating. I have had serious Hamstring cramps since I was a teenager and often they occur while I'm sitting around doing nothing and have not had a hard work out in days. I will go months with zero cramping regardless of heat or physical effort. I will also go months with cramping at the drop of a hat. This past fall my left calf would cramp every single night as I awoke and started to stretch. It was to the point that at night I could make it cramp on command. I started to drink tonic water with Quinine. I also was taking leg cramp specific pain relief witch had quinine in it. It seemed to help and I have been trying to keep some in me of late. Currently, I'm not cramp free but they are not anything I can't work through.

One of my worse cramping episodes during a bike event, I was very conscious of my hydration on the ride and was using the Hammer enduralytes as recommended. I even started drinking and taking the pills the day before.

I have many friends who have NEVER cramped EVER. They have suffered from low fluids on hard effort days in the heat to the point of being light headed, but never cramped.

There is also some interesting research about the electrolyte concentration in sweat. As it turns out, sweat contains a lower level than the fluids in your body. Thus, if you sweat a lot you bodies elecrolyte "balance" rises not falls. Cramping as associated with severe hydration/eleco imbalance is often full body cramping. Since most cramping is muscle specific, the hydration/electro theory doesn't seem to be the sole/main reason.

Bottom line is that it is not clear cut and for many of us there is no easy answer.

wattage
06-11-2010, 10:18 AM
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/06/09/phys-ed-can-pickle-juice-stop-muscle-cramps/?emc=eta1

And perhaps, if you can stomach the idea, pack a few ounces of pickle juice on your next training session. It’s not as palatable as bananas, but unlike them, “it seems to work,” Dr. Miller says.
---------------------------------------------------------------
I don't doubt that Pickle juice works, it is the sodium levels in the elixer that provide the electrolytic catalyst. However, I think on a more practicle level good old fashioned sodium pills will work best. They are more controlable and easier to dose when on the bike. I have a well known Ultra endurance cyclist friend who swears by them. He takes them on every ride, he takes about one tablet every half hour of competition...Remember, most tablets are actually a mix of Sodium, Potassium, Sodium Chloride and Potassium Chloride. (not just table salt) Any drug store should have some and I think one is as good as the rest..

thwart
06-11-2010, 10:28 AM
If you read the entire NYT article, the current thinking on muscle cramps goes against electrolyte disturbance as the cause. And hydration alone does not protect everyone against cramps.

It seems to be that the vinegar is probably the most important component of pickle juice.

Worth reading the whole thing... ;)

ahumblecycler
06-11-2010, 02:25 PM
I rarely cramp (knock on wood), and I am always dehydrated. My dehydration is measured as to the degree, mild to extreme, because I do not consume fluids (just don't ... and no I do not suggest this to others).

May I ask if you have consulted a doctor about this issue? And if yes, what was the reply.

I no longer think this is a simple electrolyte issue. If you have not consulted a doctor, I suggest you do so. If for no other reason than because you should not have to endure this when it is possible someone has a fix for it.

Lifelover
06-11-2010, 10:44 PM
I rarely cramp (knock on wood), and I am always dehydrated. My dehydration is measured as to the degree, mild to extreme, because I do not consume fluids (just don't ... and no I do not suggest this to others).

May I ask if you have consulted a doctor about this issue? And if yes, what was the reply.

I no longer think this is a simple electrolyte issue. If you have not consulted a doctor, I suggest you do so. If for no other reason than because you should not have to endure this when it is possible someone has a fix for it.

I did talk to both my family doc and my Ortho. They both told me to watch my hydration and Elctros :crap: :crap:

It is not a big enough problem for me to push them on it. There is a family history of it but nothing worth worrying too much about.

ahumblecycler
06-12-2010, 09:15 AM
Wow. At least you know and it is a challenge you continuously face. But sounds like you are determined to overcome, and with a mindset like that I am sure you will.

Cheers.

tribuddha
06-13-2010, 08:14 PM
new product on the market called " Cramp 911" developed by a pharmacist... it is a topical but I cramp badly and it works.. get it at local drug stores

Matt-H
06-13-2010, 08:57 PM
Like Lifelover, I am a life-long cramper. I have found that keeping on top of my electrolytes via Elete water has helped. At least I think, in that I have also learned to temper my effort on hot days a bit more as well.

Also, I have noticed that as the years have gone by, my "hot" days have gotten cooler. 75 is the new 95 for me, I guess...

WadePatton
06-13-2010, 09:12 PM
I did talk to both my family doc and my Ortho. They both told me to watch my hydration and Elctros :crap: :crap:

yes! it's obvious you've done some of the research (more i'm sure) that i've done. everybody tries to come up with a universal theory--and thus cure, but it ain't that easy.

we're all different. yep, i said it. we have similarities, but we are all different and my momma told me i was special.

if you're a cramper, effin' try pj if you haven't already. but don't think that it is new! i hope everybody finds their solution.

if i cramp it is usually from overtaxing undertrained muscles. but i now can feel the onset early enough to avoid full-on lockup.

the cramping issue is a lot like the hot-foot/numbness condition. complex and based upon an _individual_. beware anyone who tells you what will fix you. trust that it may have fixed him, but that it may not work for you. while we all want simple answers and grasp at them any time one comes up, it's rarely that simple.