PDA

View Full Version : Speedplay X1 rebuild

Birddog
06-09-2010, 10:07 PM
Anybody done this? I've been looking online for an X1 rebuild kit and they don't seem to exist in the states. Has anyone removed the needle bearing race? How do you do it? I know I can get the bearings locally, I just don't know how to go about removing the race. Will the X2 rebuild kit work on an X1. The actual pedal bodies are OK despite the 25,000 miles or more on them, but the needle bearings are shot.
Birddog

victoryfactory
06-10-2010, 08:56 AM
According to the Speedplay website the needle bearing
is permanently bonded to the shaft and can't be removed/replaced.
You may be able to order the whole shaft/bearing assy. from
them but it sounds like a PIA.

I bet their philosophy is that if the bearing gives out when the pedal is
under warranty, they will just replace it and if the bearing gives out
after 20K miles the other parts should be replaced also, so get a new set.

Give them a call to confirm.

good luck (I love my X pedals)

VF

Birddog
06-10-2010, 09:27 AM
According to the Speedplay website the needle bearing is permanently bonded to the shaft and can't be removed/replaced.
I didn't see that on their site and in my case it isn't so. The shaft is free from the resinous lollipop and the needle bearing race appears to be bonded to that.

I think I could just order an X2 rebuild kit and it would fit but I would like to know for sure first. If I knew how to free the race from the body then I could rebuild it (bearings only) for about $20 buying the bearings locally from a bearing supply. The lollipop portion does not show excessive wear. There is some wear on the titanium shaft in the area of the needle race and I'm thinking that Speedplay knows this is an area of wear and doesn't want to sell kits because of that. I'm pretty sure that with some heavy grease I can get another 10,000 miles out of these with new bearings Speedplay Inc be damned.
Birddog

victoryfactory
06-10-2010, 10:32 AM
Speedplay has been known to change/improve their designs as
they go along, so it's possible that your pedals are not exactly the
same as the current stock.
Here is the pdf from their website:

http://www.speedplay.com/pubs/X1_X2PedalSystemInstructions_3.11.09web.pdf

Mike748
06-10-2010, 04:36 PM
I fully dissassembled my X1's and X2's and the lollipops and bodies look to be identical. Can't swear to it though. I think Speedplay's stance against rebuild kits for the X1 is liability based. I might have some old X2 bodies you can have to try it out. PM me if interested.