PDA

View Full Version : New saddle...

SoCalSteve
06-09-2010, 05:12 PM
Hi all,

Its almost summer and a young man's (not so young, actually) thoughts may turn to...a new saddle....(and you thought I was gonna say love, didn't you)?

Its the new Fizik Antares Versus. Its the same shape as the Antares, but it has a cut out channel running down the middle of it. I have been riding on one now for almost 125 miles and I must say...I really like it!

I have always been fascinated with the Antares. I liked the shape, the extra long rails, the build quality, the material quality and Fizik as a company in general ( I love their bar tape). But, my BUTT never liked this saddle. Now it does!

By the way, you can also get this same cut out concept (Versus) in the Aliante and Arione as well.

Its not readily available as yet. I got mine (the last one in stock) through Glory Cycles. My understanding is that Fizik is getting another shipment by the middle of June.

Enjoy!

Steve

RADaines
06-09-2010, 05:27 PM
There is a review of this saddle on both cyclingnews.com and bikeradar.com (it's the same review at each site).

Smiley
06-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Steve, you are what PezTech is to bike reviews :) when it comes to Saddles, better to tell us which ones you have not tried on for size. I like your feedback but still like da Brooks too much to switch :)

JeffS
06-09-2010, 07:14 PM
Interesting. I bought one of those orange Antares to test and I think my wife threw it away (envelope and all) before I could try it.

I'll have to wait until they're available used. Can't bring myself to pay new Fizik prices.

93legendti
06-09-2010, 07:23 PM
Can't tell a saddle by it's cover, 'cuz it looks like it would hurt...

SoCalSteve
06-09-2010, 07:33 PM
Can't tell a saddle by it's cover, 'cuz it looks like it would hurt...

I just had that discussion earlier today with my riding partner (False-Aesthetic) over taco's (after a 40 mile ride).

That, usually the cooler a saddle looks (sleeker-skinnier, etc) the more uncomfortable it is...definitely a direct proportion equation. Cooler = (more) painful.

Not this one. Its really cool looking and comfy.

Your results (tush) may think differently, of course.

Steve

93legendti
06-09-2010, 08:08 PM
I just had that discussion earlier today with my riding partner (False-Aesthetic) over taco's (after a 40 mile ride).

That, usually the cooler a saddle looks (sleeker-skinnier, etc) the more uncomfortable it is...definitely a direct proportion equation. Cooler = (more) painful.

Steve
I'll be interested to read about your long term experience.

ericspin
06-09-2010, 08:10 PM
I recently have had a similar -WOW- experience with a Selle Italia SMP Glider. Yeah, I know it looks like a limp dcik but it fits me sooooooooo good. How come it can't be cheap though? In a fitting last week my fitter asked me if I would be willing to try a test saddle for a couple of rides. Now I am going to buy one. It was comfortable from the get go and I'll swear I can't feel it anywhere but my sit bones. :banana:

SMP = no more squashing

SoCalSteve
06-09-2010, 08:12 PM

Me too!

I hope its "the one"...

Steve

false_Aest
06-09-2010, 11:34 PM

My long-term experience tells me that stopping for tacos after a ride is a really fantastic idea.

Who cares about saddles when you can ride to eat.

amy
06-10-2010, 03:09 AM
we just got the new fizik sattles in for display.. i am very interesting in trying the alliante versus. i tried an alliante previously, liked the width, just couldn't do without the cutout.
now i just gotta convince the boss to let me borrow the display saddle for a few days.. heh.

alancw3
06-10-2010, 05:06 AM
thanks for the info. my arione is about due for replacement and i will definitely checkout the versus model.

ahumblecycler
06-10-2010, 05:55 AM
SoCalSteve - what was your previous "close to ideal" saddle? Do you prefer cut-outs or non?

Also, would you measure the width of the cut-out (top edge to top edge please)? It looks like quite a chasm.

Elefantino
06-10-2010, 06:20 AM
I recently have had a similar -WOW- experience with a Selle Italia SMP Glider. Yeah, I know it looks like a limp dcik but it fits me sooooooooo good. How come it can't be cheap though? In a fitting last week my fitter asked me if I would be willing to try a test saddle for a couple of rides. Now I am going to buy one. It was comfortable from the get go and I'll swear I can't feel it anywhere but my sit bones. :banana:

SMP = no more squashing
I have two Gliders and the boys love them. But I refused to pay full price for each. $239 for a saddle? Yeah, I know the nuts are the nuts, but jeez.

That said, here's hoping Mr. B has found his true love perch. His quest thus far has been like watching Elizabeth Taylor go through men. :D

Ray
06-10-2010, 08:43 AM
Me too!

I hope its "the one"...

Steve
Steve, you know better. With your wandering eye, even if you find "the one", another shapely young model will catch your eye before long and we'll have yet another broken hearted saddle trying to pick up the pieces of it's life. Try to let it down easy when you move on. :p

-Ray

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 09:03 AM
SoCalSteve - what was your previous "close to ideal" saddle? Do you prefer cut-outs or non?

Also, would you measure the width of the cut-out (top edge to top edge please)? It looks like quite a chasm.

Selle Italia Prolink w/cut out. I have always preferred cut outs.

4.5 cm at its widest point.

Highly recommend!

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 09:12 AM
Steve, you know better. With your wandering eye, even if you find "the one", another shapely young model will catch your eye before long and we'll have yet another broken hearted saddle trying to pick up the pieces of it's life. Try to let it down easy when you move on. :p

-Ray

Its never easy breaking up, especially when you had such a "close & personal" relationship with them. I do my best, sometimes it doesn't work out that way.

On the other hand, some end up being torture devices from the middle ages and I think cave men would have been more comfortable on rocks than on some of saddles I have tried. Does the term Ass Hatchet mean anything to you?

Anyway, hopefully this will be "the one" and all will be well in the world. No more oil spills, wars and homelessness will end and the cure for cancer will have been discovered (Oh yeah, cure for the common cold as well).

John H.
06-10-2010, 07:57 PM
Did you try the original Antares.
Does this one give more for the sit bones?
Original Antares dug in to me after 2 hours- much like an SLR.

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 08:09 PM
Did you try the original Antares.
Does this one give more for the sit bones?
Original Antares dug in to me after 2 hours- much like an SLR.

In my original post, I stated that I tried the original and my butt didn't like it.

Its not so much that it gives more for the sit bones, it just places you higher...So, there is no discomfort on the taint nor on the sit bones (for me, at least)...

Of course, your results may differ as all of us know how personal saddles are.

Good luck,

Steve

ahumblecycler
06-10-2010, 08:21 PM
Selle Italia Prolink w/cut out. I have always preferred cut outs.

4.5 cm at its widest point.

Highly recommend!

Interesting. So the groove tapers. I wish Fizik would post technical data sheets measuring the channel.

I have never gotten along with cut-out saddles or channel saddles. Typically, the channel/cut-out is too wide and places pressure outside my sit bones.

jlwdm
06-10-2010, 10:11 PM

Steve

Totally disagree. The sleeker and slimmer the more comfortable. Ordered another 125 gram saddle today. Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. Never feel a thing.

Jeff

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 11:28 PM
Totally disagree. The sleeker and slimmer the more comfortable. Ordered another 125 gram saddle today. Selle Italia SLR Kit Carbonio Flow. Never feel a thing.

Jeff

Thats why there are sooo many different saddles on the market.

Sooo many different butts to try to make comfortable!

Gothard
06-10-2010, 11:45 PM
Steve, you're the Charlie Harper of saddles. :p

PoppaWheelie
06-11-2010, 12:00 AM
I like the standard Antares and certainly would love to try this out. I hope they do some other finish-ways other than the dominatrix shiny black wings.

SoCalSteve
06-11-2010, 08:55 AM
I like the standard Antares and certainly would love to try this out. I hope they do some other finish-ways other than the dominatrix shiny black wings.

Me too! Seems like starting the new model year (2011) which is a few months off, they will have other options beyond black and shiny...

I got this info from the distributor as I want a white version of this saddle.

Satellite
07-23-2010, 07:52 AM
Me too! Seems like starting the new model year (2011) which is a few months off, they will have other options beyond black and shiny...

I got this info from the distributor as I want a white version of this saddle.
Steve,

Are you kidding us; that saddle matches your Ottrott perfectly. I hope you want the white for different rig?

Satelllite

SoCalSteve
07-23-2010, 08:23 AM
Steve,

Are you kidding us; that saddle matches your Ottrott perfectly. I hope you want the white for different rig?

Satelllite

Yeah, different rigs...