PDA

View Full Version : 2006 Serotta Ottrott ST Carbon/Titanium

norcalbiker
06-09-2010, 12:06 PM
What is a good price to pay for

"2006 Serotta Ottrott ST Carbon/Titanium with Serotta F3 Fork"

Includes Chris King headset, bottom bracket and seat post clamp.

Very good condition.

TIA

Mikej
06-09-2010, 12:40 PM
?

Pete Serotta
06-09-2010, 12:44 PM
Is what I would suggest. Pete

alancw3
06-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Is what I would suggest. Pete
+1

norcalbiker
06-09-2010, 01:00 PM
?

My size.

I am not selling. I am thinking of buying it. Just wanted to make sure that the price is fair when I make an offer.

dave thompson
06-09-2010, 01:12 PM
The Ottrott is as a fine a bike that ever graced pavement but it's a tough sell. IIWIYS (if I were in your shoes) my offer would be in the $1500~$2000 range and then only if it were a very good fit.

norcalbiker
06-09-2010, 01:15 PM
The Ottrott is as a fine a bike that ever graced pavement but it's a tough sell. IIWIYS (if I were in your shoes) my offer would be in the $1500~$2000 range and then only if it were a very good fit.

I'll start with $1400.00 offer.

Thanks

Mikej
06-09-2010, 01:39 PM
Yeah, 1500 is a good start. The problem with a used high end, even if it fits like a glove and is your favorite color, one warranty issue and you are screwed -

Pete Serotta
06-09-2010, 02:15 PM
in today's environment.... :bike:

CNY rider
06-09-2010, 02:21 PM
Nice bicycle, but if I was Mary (the seller) I don't know how much I would appreciate this thread.

dave thompson
06-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Until your post, this was a normal 'what's it worth? question. No mention of seller.

pdmtong
06-09-2010, 03:14 PM
Until your post, this was a normal 'what's it worth? question. No mention of seller.
even without cnyriders post, one look at the classifieds, sfba craigslist and the OP name "norcalbiker" makes all this too much of a coincidence

rugbysecondrow
06-09-2010, 03:43 PM
even without cnyriders post, one look at the classifieds, sfba craigslist and the OP name "norcalbiker" makes all this too much of a coincidence

Am I the only one who doesn't reconcile these two sections, because I didn't connect these dots? I certainly didn't connect up the San Fran Bay Area CL connection.

It seems fair to ask general questions about used Serotta prices on a Serotta forum, doesn't it? I think actually throwing out names was a little unnecesary.

norcalbiker
06-09-2010, 03:49 PM
Nice bicycle, but if I was Mary (the seller) I don't know how much I would appreciate this thread.

WOW!!!

Thanks! :crap:

norcalbiker
06-09-2010, 03:51 PM

Yeah, but it doesn't mean that it needed to be exposed. I thought I was asking a legitimate questions since I did not know anything about the prize.

pdmtong
06-09-2010, 04:23 PM

CNY rider
06-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Yeah, but it doesn't mean that it needed to be exposed. I thought I was asking a legitimate questions since I did not know anything about the prize.

Who said anything critical about your question?
I think the issue is that the replies to your question have probably set a ceiling on what the bike will go for on the Forum.
We must ride the same sized bicycles because I had been admiring that one and so the connection for me was clear and instantaneous.
I hope you end up with it and enjoy it greatly. :beer:

Pete Serotta
06-09-2010, 11:03 PM
I sure could not link the dots to who or where. I was slow and was not drinking wine

John M
06-10-2010, 11:47 AM
I see no foul here. The frameset (a very nice one) is being listed on publicly on multiple sites with a target price/OBO. Seems that the consensus among some experienced folks is that the initial asking price was a bit high for today's market, but OBO suggests the seller is open to a discussion.

Potential buyers can offer what they think it is worth and the seller has the choice what to accept.

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 12:07 PM
To be fair to both buyer and seller, another suggestion would be to check:

Weight Weenies

Road Bike Review

eBay

Velocipesalon

and the archives of this forum

And, I am sure I am missing a few other places where high end bikes and bike parts get bought and sold...

See what has been offered, what has sold and at what prices.

Then, and only then, can both the buyer and the seller make a final determination on whats fair.

Having people throw out random numbers because they "think" thats what an item should sell for is probably not the best way to figure it out.

Best of luck to both the buyer and the seller! (whoever they may be)

Steve

norcalbiker
06-10-2010, 12:40 PM
I see no foul here. The frameset (a very nice one) is being listed on publicly on multiple sites with a target price/OBO. Seems that the consensus among some experienced folks is that the initial asking price was a bit high for today's market, but OBO suggests the seller is open to a discussion.

Potential buyers can offer what they think it is worth and the seller has the choice what to accept.

After looking at the frame over and over again, I have made an offer of $1500.00 to start and wanted to see if she'll make a counter offer.

She said "Sorry. Price is not negotiable" Her asking price is $2100.00
So I have no idea where the OBO came from.

Anyways, I did pass on the frame.

GD2002
06-10-2010, 01:21 PM
.... on the classified post

>Head Tube Length: 16.46 cm
>
>
>Sorry.. had issues uploading photos.
>
>Looking to get 2300 obo

BobbyJones
06-10-2010, 01:32 PM
I can't help but think of this thread:

http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=71132

SoCalSteve
06-10-2010, 02:38 PM
.... on the classified post

>Head Tube Length: 16.46 cm
>
>
>Sorry.. had issues uploading photos.
>
>Looking to get 2300 obo

Its the sellers discretion whether to accept or reject any and all offers.

"Or Best Offer" can also mean that the seller wants the stated price or more than. Maybe 2 people want the item and one is willing to offer more than what is stated in the ad.

norcalbiker
06-10-2010, 03:14 PM
Its the sellers discretion whether to accept or reject any and all offers.

"Or Best Offer" can also mean that the seller wants the stated price or more than. Maybe 2 people want the item and one is willing to offer more than what is stated in the ad.

Getting more than your asking price doesn't exist with this economy. Especially a high end frame.

tch
06-10-2010, 09:10 PM
...or Best Offer. $2100 is not $2300. Apparently, $2100 is the best offer she will accept. Her perogative.
Buyer's move.

rdparadise
06-10-2010, 10:24 PM
That Ottrott is sweet and I can see why you'd be interested. $2100 seems like a lot, on the other hand a replacement frame would be several thousand more, so it's not totally irrelevant. Based on the condition and what is coming with the frame and fork, I would say the $2,000 range seems reasonable.

Just my 2 pennies.

Bob

MaryLnsky
07-01-2010, 01:25 PM
I never expected to be the topic of conversation - I'm flattered... lol.

yes, I was offering it at 2300... and the lowest I was going to take is 2100.00. I'm not desperate to move the frame so being low balled at at 1500.00 price seemed more like someone that was not interested in buying it. 600.00 under asking price seem a bit excessive to me.

Anyhow... just putting in my two cents. Still got the frame. If the offer was more reasonable I would consider it so she goes to a good home. If not.. it looks great hanging in the bike room. One of the nicest road frames I've ever had.. only reason I'm selling it because I've move to the dark side and ride primarily DH.

Have a great day all!

M

dekindy
07-01-2010, 03:34 PM
I must be slow today.

DH?

jmc22
07-01-2010, 03:42 PM
Mary - I agree with you, sell it for what you think it's worth and let the low-balls kick someone elses tires.

I sold mine about 6 months ago for a price north of $2k which I still thought was pretty low considering the original price was 3 times that amount when bought new only 2 years prior.

Most want to say - what if there is a warranty issue, then you're not covered - my response would be if that's your concern, then you should not be looking to buy a used frame and keep your .02¢ to yourself.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2010, 04:07 PM
I must be slow today.

DH?

Down hill...opposite of UH

pdmtong
07-01-2010, 11:06 PM
Spend a day at Northstar-at-Tahoe and the attraction is obvious. DH pegs the fun meter..... :banana:

Larry
07-02-2010, 10:54 PM
After looking at the frame over and over again, I have made an offer of $1500.00 to start and wanted to see if she'll make a counter offer.

She said "Sorry. Price is not negotiable" Her asking price is $2100.00
So I have no idea where the OBO came from.

Anyways, I did pass on the frame.

It's still a used frame. Who's to say that you will or will not like it?
For you, it may not be the best frame for your needs.

$1500.00 to $1800.00 is fair. You're taking a risk. Just my 2 cents.

troymac
07-03-2010, 02:28 AM
Capitalism for what it's worth ... Sell for as much as the market will bear or in this case "one" will bear and for the buyer pay what their willing to pay. That's not lowball or any other bad term it's just business .. Nothing personal.

rugbysecondrow
07-03-2010, 06:11 AM
Mary - I agree with you, sell it for what you think it's worth and let the low-balls kick someone elses tires.

I sold mine about 6 months ago for a price north of $2k which I still thought was pretty low considering the original price was 3 times that amount when bought new only 2 years prior.

Most want to say - what if there is a warranty issue, then you're not covered - my response would be if that's your concern, then you should not be looking to buy a used frame and keep your .02¢ to yourself.

I think what you should have said is ASK what you think it is worth. She seems to not want to sell it because she is not willing to list a sale price that jives with the market. It seems obvious to everone else that if something is made available for sale at a certain price and that item does not sell, the price is too high.

Regarding the low ballers, sure there are some, but there are also others with cash...we call them buyers. As a seller, we like buyers and we typically don't insult them if we want to sell our item.

Listing an item outside of the market range does not communicate an intention to sell, but rather that they are just fishing. IMO, the seller should take the process as serious as the buyer and should not be "Tire Kicking" the forum.

jlwdm
07-03-2010, 09:17 AM
Could somebody lock this thread. I thought it had gone downhill about as far as it could go when it paused on June 10th - boy was I wrong.

Jeff

Pete Serotta
07-03-2010, 04:05 PM
sorry for down hill slide PETE