PDA

View Full Version : Brooks saddle owners...need advice

Kingfisher
06-09-2010, 08:45 AM
Ok, off the bike for a wk or two, Dr said I have prostatis (sp?), so I'm looking into another saddle and keep coming back to the Brooks B-17 (been cycling for 35 plus years, tried about everything, current setup is San Marco Regal).

For you B-17 owners, I see that they come in...standard or narrow. Anyone have both and can you comment/advise on either?

Thanks

Ray
06-09-2010, 09:15 AM
Both have a much flatter top than the crowned Regal. So there should be less pressure on the soft parts. No way to tell about width. B-17N is much closer to the width of my other saddles, but I've always been more comfortable on the wider b-17. Just have to try em.

-Ray

eddief
06-09-2010, 09:23 AM
but just about B17 adjustment in general. I have been riding them for a couple of years. I have found the micro adjustment of angle is really important to whether or not the saddle approaches being comfortable. Getting that top surface to interface correctly with the sit bones has taken many on and off the bike short rides with an allen key to finally believe I know it can be comfortable.

RADaines
06-09-2010, 09:30 AM
Ok, off the bike for a wk or two, Dr said I have prostatis (sp?), so I'm looking into another saddle and keep coming back to the Brooks B-17 (been cycling for 35 plus years, tried about everything, current setup is San Marco Regal).

For you B-17 owners, I see that they come in...standard or narrow. Anyone have both and can you comment/advise on either?

Are you saying that the saddle has caused your prostatitis or that it is aggravating it?

Kingfisher
06-09-2010, 10:11 AM
Are you saying that the saddle has caused your prostatitis or that it is aggravating it?

It looks like the saddle positioning might have aggravated the prostate which led to prostatis??? My doc is an athlete and runner and he said this very well may have been the case.

On an interesting side note, I just went down to do measurements on two different saddles/seatposts (I had recently switched to a thomson setback post but wth the exact same regal saddle) and discovered that the new setup (1 1/2 wks ago installed) the saddle was tilted upward ever so slightly. I bet this is what caused the whole damn thing. It is so slight, almost naked to the eye, but when I put a level on the old setup vs the new, the new setup is tiilted upward. I'm surprised I couldn't feel it when I rode, but I guess I am now paying the price.

palincss
06-09-2010, 10:24 AM
I have a lot of trouble believing that an upward angle so slight as to be undetectable while riding and virtually impossible to see without a level while off the bike could cause or aggravate a prostrate inflammation.

Ralph
06-09-2010, 10:32 AM
I recently went thru this. My saddle was agravating a condition. I just hurt all over in prostate and coccyx area. It got so bad I couldn't even sit in a chair at home. I hurt so bad I wasn't even sure where the pain was coming from down there. My Doc said Prostatitis, Coccyx inflamation, "Roids",etc....I had thousands of dollars in tests. No answers. Even stopping riding didn't really fix it.

After trying a bunch of saddles I thought would be more comfortable...for me....all the brands, I went to a newer style flat top saddle on my bikes, with the cut outs, one where you just "perch" on top of the saddle on your sit bones. It also had to have a hard top, so I wouldn't sink into it. I bet I went thru about 20 different saddles.

I have not found this kind of saddle to be near as comfortable as saddles I used to ride in the past, and my sit bones do hurt sometimes if I ride too much. But you don't die from sore sit bones, and I can still ride 100 miles or so each week, riding 4-5 days. I don't think I can sit on a saddle long enough to do a century anymore, but that's OK. Proper adjustment...verticle, fore and aft, top angle, BB set back, etc....are extremely critical for me. I've developed a method for exact measurements for me.

I tried various saddle, some recommended by others, etc. And I found those not having this kind of pain didn't really understand what I was after, although they were well meaning. I settled on a 143 MM wide Specialized Alias. A saddle too hard for many. But it keeps me off my sit parts. You have to adjust these saddle so you sit back on the wider rear on your sit bones, and nothing else touches. They can't be too wide, so as not to chew up the insides of buttocks with their sharp edges. You just perch on them. You don't sit around them with your weight supported by a rounded top saddle and it's sides. I also rode a Regal for many years, and had to relearn how to adjust and ride a different kind of seat. I'm never real comfortable any more, but I am prostate and Coccyx pain free. I only hurt on my sit bones sometimes. I can sit on a hard bottomed flat chair at home....if I sit properly....upright. LOL Good luck getting well.

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2010, 12:01 PM
"but just about B17 adjustment in general. I have been riding them for a couple of years. I have found the micro adjustment of angle is really important to whether or not the saddle approaches being comfortable. Getting that top surface to interface correctly with the sit bones has taken many on and off the bike short rides with an allen key to finally believe I know it can be comfortable."

micro adjustment of angle is really important

goonster
06-09-2010, 12:15 PM
Ralph,

You say you went through 20 saddles, but did not say whether that included a Brooks B17, which is what the OP asked about.

Hey Ahneida,

Do you find that small adjustments to the angle of a B17 have a noticeable effect on your riding comfort?

Ralph
06-09-2010, 01:16 PM
I did try one. I borrowed it. It supported me too well. Just too much contact for me.

The B17 is a wonderful seat. Hope it works for him. Butt problems are hard to get over.

Kevan
06-09-2010, 02:34 PM
http://www.selleanatomica.com/dollar%20buyer.htm

thosmm
06-09-2010, 02:48 PM

Thanks

They also come in an "Imperial" version with a cutout to relieve pressure on your perineum.

Tom

michael white
06-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Ralph,

You say you went through 20 saddles, but did not say whether that included a Brooks B17, which is what the OP asked about.

Hey Ahneida,

Do you find that small adjustments to the angle of a B17 have a noticeable effect on your riding comfort?

I find that small angle adjustments to a B17 are the difference between hell and heaven and back to hell.

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2010, 05:08 PM
Hey Ahneida,

Nope .. never did !!!! :D :p :) :beer:

Ahneida Ride
06-09-2010, 05:11 PM
a 1 degree angle adjustment can make a Brooks go from suck to serene.

I rode with my Allen wrench till I got it right.

SoCalSteve
06-09-2010, 05:20 PM
a 1 degree angle adjustment can make a Brooks go from suck to serene.

I rode with my Allen wrench till I got it right.

So true, so true...

DBRK used to say that if you just think of the saddle as a hammock, then you can adjust it properly...

In other words, the nose needs to be pointing towards the sky a bit...This makes the shape of the saddle on the rails a hammock. Its not the most aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, but very much pleasing to the behind.

There are plenty of pictures on here of people with properly adjusted B-17's.

Something like this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=350183&postcount=1)

Good luck!

Steve

TonyMo
06-16-2010, 09:26 AM
I am testing a Selle SMP Evolution which is designed to avoid any pressure to the sensitive bits. I can confirm that from this perspective the saddle does what it says on the tin. However, you are placing all your weight directly on your sit bones, which I am told is exactly how the saddle designed to operate. I rode 120km on Saturday and by the end my *ss was very very sore and I was regretting my trusted Arione. I rode a further 60 km on Sunday with more climbing involved and I began to adapt. I suspect that this saddle will take some getting used to but it might just be worth the price since there is significantly less pressure building up down under. I will know for sure in a few weeks time.

bobswire
06-16-2010, 10:26 AM
I used to have a problem and went to a Selle an Antomica , most comfortable saddle I've ever used for long rides. I still use Brooks but when I know I'm going to on a saddle over a length of time I use the Selle. http://bike.com/selle-an-atomica-titanico-ld-saddle-seats-and-saddles?utm_source=GoogleProduct&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=GoogleProduct

zott28
06-16-2010, 11:39 AM
I used to have a problem and went to a Selle an Antomica , most comfortable saddle I've ever used for long rides. I still use Brooks but when I know I'm going to on a saddle over a length of time I use the Selle. http://bike.com/selle-an-atomica-titanico-ld-saddle-seats-and-saddles?utm_source=GoogleProduct&utm_medium=CSE&utm_campaign=GoogleProduct

+100 on the Selle an Antomica, got them on all my bikes. I hope they keep making them.

Greg Wright
06-17-2010, 05:03 PM
My wife just gave me a B17 for my Bday and I just set it up the yesterday. Gave it a quick try in the neighborhood for first adjustment. Unfortunately can't get out to try it more extensively for a few more days, but really anxious to have extended ride. I'm certain the advice to ride with the hex wrench in pocket will be handy for several adjustements to get to perfection.

retrogrouchy
06-17-2010, 08:58 PM
So true, so true...

DBRK used to say that if you just think of the saddle as a hammock, then you can adjust it properly...

In other words, the nose needs to be pointing towards the sky a bit...This makes the shape of the saddle on the rails a hammock. Its not the most aesthetically pleasing to the eyes, but very much pleasing to the behind.

There are plenty of pictures on here of people with properly adjusted B-17's.

Something like this (http://forums.thepaceline.net/showpost.php?p=350183&postcount=1)

Good luck!

Steve

I think if you look closely at the referenced photo, and put a level along the centerline of the saddle, touching the high points, it is fairly close to horizontal. That's usually where I start, then tweak from there. I'm more of a Brooks Team Pro-shaped-butt person than a B-17, though, apparently, so I'm not sure how much difference I would feel (If any) on a B-17. That's also a B-17 Special in the photo, which has a much thicker/ initially stiffer hunk of cow on it (than a base-model B-17). I think the B-17 Special is an excellent saddle, though....

eddief
06-17-2010, 09:43 PM
but now i'm running just about flat. it took an f-ing long time for me and butt to get together on this.

palincss
06-18-2010, 10:14 AM
It depends on the individual saddle, too. I have several B.17s in service; some want to be only slightly nose up, but one needs to have the nose pointed up at an almost unbelievable angle. You've got to experiment to find the right position.

Ralph
06-18-2010, 11:41 AM
I don't ride a Brooks (or at least not anymore), but I do use a level, as well as a plumb bob hanging off seat nose, to set my saddles up for me. I use a flat clip board laying over seat to put my level on. This way I can be consistent....bike to bike.

I also think whether you ride with seat level, or with nose slightly up, depends mostly on how low you have the bars. How much you are bending over. I want my weight to be on sit bones, not on front of saddle. I ride with the nose very very slightly up.

roguedog
06-19-2010, 09:19 AM
I've got B-17s on my bikes. It's the most comfy saddle for me. I love the craftsmanship that goes into them.

When I get a new one, I too go running around w/ my allen wrench until it feels right.

As far as narrow vs standard.. forgive me if I'm stating the obvious but I think the difference is in the seat area width and thus you might choose one versus the other depending on well.. your seat area width :p Have you done the paper towel sit bones measuring test? Or you can go into a specialized store w/ the bg fit system and they've got a foamy thing you sit on and you can get your measurements from that.

I love my Brooks. I kinda smile/chuckle inside when folks look at my saddle and bike and assume "old school."

Ahneida Ride
06-19-2010, 11:33 AM
When I get a new one, I too go running around w/ my allen wrench until it feels right.

I love my Brooks. I kinda smile/chuckle inside when folks look at my saddle and bike and assume "old school."

Bingo !!!!!!

Ken Robb
06-19-2010, 11:39 AM
"Old School" like Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard, etc. :)

troymac
06-20-2010, 11:39 PM
I love my b17 standard it's been a great saddle for me ... Like most have said small adjustments can make a big deal . But I first I would always start with a pro fitting then get your saddle whether Brooks or other brand.

victork
06-22-2010, 09:44 PM
The B17 Narrow is the same width of my other two saddles so I purchased that one. Very happy with it.