PDA

View Full Version : an event that led to using top tube cable stops?

eddief
06-07-2010, 10:44 PM
so i was looking at photos of vintage road bikes; those ones where the rear brake cable ran in housing from lever all the back to the caliper through those little braised on eyelets on the top tube.

i understand the efficiency of top tube cable stops and naked cables, but was there an event or technology that came into being that led to how things are done today?

why'd that happen?

caterham
06-08-2010, 01:48 AM
but was there an event or technology that came into being that led to how things are done today?

why'd that happen?

the 'reason' was mostly marketing. the aerodynamic fad of the early-mid 80's had an huge effect on virtually every aspect of bikes and component design, some of it was even worthwhile or eventually led to improved designs.

alancw3
06-08-2010, 04:55 AM
i had several bikes back in the 60's and early 70's that had campy nouvo record grouppos where the brake cable and housing was attached to the top tube with clamps (the thinkng back then was that welding or brazing on cable stops weakened the tubing around the area of attachment). two things, first the builders found that the cable stops did not significantly weaken the tubing and second from an owners standpoint no matter how careful you were inevitably rust would develop under the clamp either from friction or scatching the paint when first attached to the frame. i actually wrapped tape around the area of attachment to try to prevent the rusting on a frame or two. i guess it was a case of risk versus reward i.e. the little bit of tube weaking was far outweighed by the benefit of eliminating the rusting under the clamp. oh and i would also think that it was cheaper for the builder/manufacturer in the long run.

sg8357
06-08-2010, 08:08 AM
British bikes had numerous braze ons at least into the 1950s,
q/r fender mounts, brake cable stops, tail light mounts etc.

Italian bikes had fewer braze ons to speed production.

csm
06-08-2010, 08:44 AM
doesn't seem to be much difference from a brazing standpoint between 2 exposed cable stops now and 2 or 3 cable guides back then. I think it came from "standardization" with mountain bikes getting set up like that. made for cable lubing and what not; much easier I guess.

kong79
06-08-2010, 09:41 AM
Not to highjack this thread, but is the outside diameter of the older cable housings the same as present day? My late 80's Serotta Nova has cable housings from levers to brakes with braze on's. I would like to upgrade the cables and housings with the newer modern low friction stuff but put a hold on it because I wasn't sure if they would fit through the braze on's. Any one know?

Brian Smith
06-08-2010, 07:49 PM
so i was looking at photos of vintage road bikes; those ones where the rear brake cable ran in housing from lever all the back to the caliper through those little braised on eyelets on the top tube.

i understand the efficiency of top tube cable stops and naked cables, but was there an event or technology that came into being that led to how things are done today?

why'd that happen?

Mountain bikes, with a market willing to accept "new" things for "new" purposes, happened to bikes, including road bikes, overall. Making road bikes alongside mountain bikes in a factory setting happened. Successful lifespans of both products happened, companies offering them thrived, so split guides for road bikes had no mechanism by which to be forgotten and abandoned.

That's, in my opinion, why it happened. Overall, I think it is a positive change.

Brian Smith
06-08-2010, 07:52 PM
Not to highjack this thread, but is the outside diameter of the older cable housings the same as present day? My late 80's Serotta Nova has cable housings from levers to brakes with braze on's. I would like to upgrade the cables and housings with the newer modern low friction stuff but put a hold on it because I wasn't sure if they would fit through the braze on's. Any one know?

5mm outside diameter lined brake cable housing is still available and the right size for that frame. That offered by Shimano is, in my opinion, one of their best products of ALL TIME, and they still make and offer it. Buy a box, and you'll never find it uselessly obsolete.

Peter P.
06-08-2010, 09:40 PM
Rust, rust, rust, and rust are likely one contributor to the change. Sweat readily collected under the housing and was too difficult to clean. At least that's been my experience.

However, a more likely reason was manufacturing efficiency. Split cable stops only require TWO braze-ons; cable tunnels usually were mounted in sets of three. Add that up over hundreds or thousands of bikes and we're talking SAVINGS.

Louis
06-08-2010, 10:19 PM
Rust, rust, rust, and rust are likely one contributor to the change. Sweat readily collected under the housing and was too difficult to clean. At least that's been my experience.

Same here. My old Trek 400 rusted on the TT at the cable holder braze-ones and at a few other spots. Sanding and trying to prime those spots was a PITA.

Bob Ross
06-09-2010, 10:29 AM
i understand the efficiency of top tube cable stops and naked cables

I don't. There's an advantage? (besides saving the 2 or 3 grams of cable housing)

However, a more likely reason was manufacturing efficiency. Split cable stops only require TWO braze-ons; cable tunnels usually were mounted in sets of three. Add that up over hundreds or thousands of bikes and we're talking SAVINGS.

Hmm... okay, I'll buy that.

David Kirk
06-09-2010, 10:46 AM
I don't. There's an advantage? (besides saving the 2 or 3 grams of cable housing)..............

IMO there is a clear advantage in brake feel and modulation. Braking housing is basically a coil of wire wrapped with plastic and this coil compresses lengthwise when you pull on the lever and tension the cable. This compression needs to happen before pressure will be put to the rim by the brake pads.

Making the housing shorter minimizes the amount of compression and gives the brake a firmer and more solid feeling and better modulation as a result. Split guides allow for the shortest run of the compressible housing and that is a good thing.

Dave