Anyone seen this yet?

Thoughts?

I'll probably end up getting one.

Anyone need a 3GS?..... :beer:

Steve

1happygirl
06-07-2010, 07:35 PM
Hey SCS (SoCalSteve)

Looks great. My contract is up in August and it's making me reconsider Droids. Multitasking!

Oh, wait. It's AT&T

No thanks just for that reason. Most of the functions won't work.

Jobs was having trouble showing the apps and asked for help. Someone from the audience yelled out try Verizon!!!!

SoCalSteve
06-07-2010, 07:44 PM
Hey SCS (SoCalSteve)

Looks great. My contract is up in August and it's making me reconsider Droids. Multitasking!

Oh, wait. It's AT&T

No thanks just for that reason. Most of the functions won't work.

Jobs was having trouble showing the apps and asked for help. Someone from the audience yelled out try Verizon!!!!

The new iPhone software will have full multitasking. It will be available the 21st of this month and will run on the 3GS.

I do get dropped calls with ATT, but their data service is fantastic here in Los Angeles.

The reason Jobs was having problems was because there were so many people using their MiFi Hotspots in the room, it messed his WiFi up. He asked people to turn them off and eventually they did and he was up and running.

jimp1234
06-07-2010, 08:00 PM
No Verizon announcement....grrrrrrr :crap:

happycampyer
06-07-2010, 08:03 PM
I was a longtime Verizon customer (have an Audiovox brick from NYNEX somewhere, so that's going back 10 years) and still have Verizon on my Blackberry at work, and have been pleasantly surprised at how well the iPhone works, especially vs. what I was expecting.

The iPhone 4 looks very slick, but as it turns out I use my iPhone 90% of the time as a browser. I'm getting an iPad for Father's Day, so I suspect my use of the iPhone will decline significantly, since the screen size of the iPad is going to be much easier on my eyes...

pdmtong
06-07-2010, 08:05 PM
whats the final word on iphone 4 and tethering on the ATT network?

happy - you;ll be blown away at the speed and resolution of the ipad. for that alone its worth getting one.

1happygirl
06-07-2010, 08:22 PM
The iPhone 4 looks very slick, but as it turns out I use my iPhone 90% of the time as a browser. ...

I'm an Apple automaton. I love Apple (look at my logo). I use mine for browsing too and without Flash a lot of what I look at won't even show.

Jobs is right about Flash, but so were the Sony Betamax peeps.

Even though the rest of the world is wrong, make it compatible with the net/off AT&T and I'm in for 4 of those suckers in a heartbeat!!!!

Dekonick
06-07-2010, 08:29 PM
What about Sprint's offering with 4g and 3g tethering all in a nice android package with front + rear camera's for video chat (skype anyone?)

Looks pretty good to me... Ill wait one more year before I upgrade though... still love my palm pre.

merlinmurph
06-07-2010, 08:39 PM
whats the final word on iphone 4 and tethering on the ATT network?

happy - you;ll be blown away at the speed and resolution of the ipad. for that alone its worth getting one.

From what I saw, they're going to charge $20/mo (http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2010/06/new-att-data-plans-milk-data-gluttons-lower-costs-for-most.ars) just for the privilege of tethering. Wow, that's big bite.

pdmtong
06-07-2010, 08:54 PM
From what I saw, they're going to charge $20/mo (http://arstechnica.com/telecom/news/2010/06/new-att-data-plans-milk-data-gluttons-lower-costs-for-most.ars) just for the privilege of tethering. Wow, that's big bite.

fcuk. that knocks the casual/holiday user (me) out.

my pal uses his verizon droid as a hotspot for his ipad....no need to buy the 3GS in that case...

still, I'll buy the iphone 4 in sept when my 3G contract is up

Elefantino
06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
When they start giving them away free (like my Samsung Whatchamacallit), then I'm there.

Lurch
06-07-2010, 09:51 PM
What about Sprint's offering with 4g and 3g tethering all in a nice android package with front + rear camera's for video chat (skype anyone?)

Looks pretty good to me... Ill wait one more year before I upgrade though... still love my palm pre.

Got my HTC Evo this weekend. Absolutely love it! Very happy I stuck with Sprint and outlasted the iPhone rush. I have an iPod Touch, so I am very familiar with the capabilities. The phone is slick, and my contract still kicks AT&T butt.

Volant
06-07-2010, 11:34 PM
How does this play out with AT&T announcing that they will no longer offer unlimited data plans?

vqdriver
06-07-2010, 11:55 PM
Supposed to be able to continue on the current plan if youre already on allyoucaneat.

Other than email and dropping calls I use mine primarily with third party apps.

PoppaWheelie
06-08-2010, 01:20 AM
I have an Iphone and count myself as one of the ATT haters...I dig the phone but hate the service.

Anway, on the radio today they mentioned that ATT is considering eliminating the unlimited data plans and forcing people to buy bandwidth in chunks. Not sure if that's true (nor does it really matter to me) but I bet it would piss off a whole bunch of people with dreams of sending Iphone HD vids of their kids to grandma and grandpa...

(whoops...just saw the two posts above. sorry!)

dd74
06-08-2010, 01:57 AM
Is there a cycling program for the iPhone where it can act like a Garmin 305, and monitor heart rate, hill inclines, speed, time, GPS, etc?

dgauthier
06-08-2010, 02:00 AM
I love the announcement of iAds, just as AT&T eliminates new unlimited data plans. That's just what you need: some app downloading a video advert on a capped data plan.

The new iPhone doesn't look very good. The 3GS looks and feels like a solid chunk of glass. This new one looks like a bunch of little parts screwed together. I know that both of them are made of a bunch of little parts, but a successful design isn't supposed to look like it is.

jhcakilmer
06-08-2010, 06:40 AM
I personally like the look of the iPhone 4, and some of the new functions, but IMO the downside is ATT. 3G coverage is very spotty, cost, etc......I currently have a ipod touch and cell phone, and have been "jonesing" for a iPhone, but will not do it until they are picked up by another carrier, or ATT seriously makes some improvements!

I'd personally go with Droid, but I have so many medical apps for my ipod that I use everyday for managing patients, studying, etc that it would make my life harder, not easier!

victoryfactory
06-08-2010, 07:26 AM
How does this play out with AT&T announcing that they will no longer offer unlimited data plans?

The new AT&T data plans are not as scary as they seem if you are using
normal amounts of data. What they seem to be doing (along with all the other
companies that are going to 4G) is getting ready for the next step in cell phone
tech where people will be using way more data each month with HD video etc.

From the web:

Demise of unlimited plans to make cellphone data tracking a challenge
06:53 AM CDT on Tuesday, June 8, 2010

By VICTOR GODINEZ / The Dallas Morning News (snipped)

" For example, while AT&T had previously offered an all-you-can-eat data plan for $30 a month, it now offers the DataPlus plan, with a maximum monthly allowance of 200 megabytes of data for $15, or the DataPro plan, with two gigabytes of data for $25.

Existing AT&T unlimited data subscribers can keep their plans if they want, but new customers can pick only from one of the new plans.

With each plan, if you exceed your cap, you'll be charged an overage.

AT&T said 65 percent of its smart phone customers use less than 200 megs per month, while 98 percent use less than two gigs."

Maybe Apple will put a new button in the settings to turn off
HD content to save overages

VF

JMerring
06-08-2010, 09:03 AM
imo, htc makes far superior hardware. android, with htc's sense ui, is at least as good as ios4, and probably better. i know that apple cultists will piss on my post, but that's fine. they don't know what they're missing. (still, props to apple for pioneering the concept.)

SoCalSteve
06-08-2010, 10:31 AM
Its so funny with all these negative posts about the iPhone, that Apple has sold like a gizzilion of them around the world.

You'd think they wouldn't be able to sell any.

I am still looking forward to the new iPhone. I'll just sell my 3GS on ebay.

johnnymossville
06-08-2010, 10:52 AM
I use HTC and Android, and they are really nice, but it isn't anywhere near as polished as the iPhone Software/Hardware tag team.

I wish the iPhone wasn't locked to ATT or I'd have one.

JMerring
06-08-2010, 12:17 PM
Its so funny with all these negative posts about the iPhone, that Apple has sold like a gizzilion of them around the world.

You'd think they wouldn't be able to sell any.

I am still looking forward to the new iPhone. I'll just sell my 3GS on ebay.

i think you are missing the point. nobody said the iphone (or apple) were shyte.

Rueda Tropical
06-08-2010, 12:20 PM
Is there a cycling program for the iPhone where it can act like a Garmin 305, and monitor heart rate, hill inclines, speed, time, GPS, etc?

There are 3. Ant+ compatible apps will work with Garmin peripherals or any ANT+ sensors.

See list at bottom of this overview:
http://ruedatropical.wordpress.com/2009/02/11/iphone-cycling-applications/

Rueda Tropical
06-08-2010, 12:26 PM
I'm an Apple automaton. I love Apple (look at my logo). I use mine for browsing too and without Flash a lot of what I look at won't even show.

Jobs is right about Flash, but so were the Sony Betamax peeps.

Just when Jobs gets Apple back with the opportunity to be the dominant player he positions his company for a repeat of the MAC OS/Windows story, this time with smartphone OS's. I'm really bummed. I thought this time round they had got it right. I guess I'll start looking at Android phones.

bkboom123
06-08-2010, 12:39 PM
I went from a blackberry to a motorola Droid recently.....I could not be happier. I am literally in awe of the things this phone can do. compass, full automated gps, barcode scanners, apps galore!

The screen is simply amazing for video. The internet usually runs faster then my laptop does. The 5mp camera takes ridiculously good pictures, for a phone....

Just my 2 cents on my switch over...

Lurch
06-08-2010, 01:58 PM
Just when Jobs gets Apple back with the opportunity to be the dominant player he positions his company for a repeat of the MAC OS/Windows story, this time with smartphone OS's. I'm really bummed. I thought this time round they had got it right. I guess I'll start looking at Android phones.

I'm quite happy to throw my FRN's at a company pursuing open standards. I don't dislike Apple in the least. I do strongly like competition, and choice. I think Google corporately rocks, and I’m excited to see what Android can become, and which (open or closed) standards will draw more money/customers long term.

1centaur
06-08-2010, 06:00 PM
A semi-joke from a professional telecom analyst:

What's the worst thing you can do to Verizon?

Give them the iPhone.

AT&T's network capacity is not much different from Verizon's, CDMA considerations included. The iPhone has been voracious in its bandwidth needs, compromising AT&T's network performance beyond expectations. When I saw Jobs showing video conferencing and he said Apple "needs to work with the carriers" before it moves beyond WiFi, I could picture network engineers banging their heads against desks. This is why 4G networks are coming. LTE in 2011?

So, when do we see our first live bootleg video rock concert from the 15th row?

rugbysecondrow
06-11-2010, 11:22 AM
So, as a new guy to this smart phone conversation, I am looking at the new Iphone and the Droid Incredible.

I don't think the new Iphone is out yet, but any feedback on the main difference between the two would be helpful.

I feel comfortable with the Iphone because I have used I -tunes for a while, but I am curious about the music playing capabilities of the Droid as that is my big push...not having to carry multiple devices. All I have heard about the Droid seems great...any feedback would be extremely helpful.

Paul

norcalbiker
06-11-2010, 11:45 AM
Iphone in general is awesome. It does almost everything except for phone calls. :crap:

vqdriver
06-11-2010, 12:08 PM
i'm on a iphone 3g so it's time for me to upgrade for myself and the wife. to that end i called att and the apple store to preorder and get some details. here's the info from them:

upgrading my generation iphone to the iphone4 will be the same deal a new contract brings, meaning 199 for the 16gb model and an $18 "upgrade" charge. both the 16gb and the 32gb models are available in black or white i can preorder on the 15 and pickup at the apple store on the release date which is tentatively the 24 my service contract will restart for another 2 years from the date of my upgrade the unlimited data plan i'm currently on will continue at $30 a month new iphone users will have a choice of the newer data plans with data caps but unlimited data will not be an available option for new users

the metal ring that now surrounds the body is actually the antennae for the phone, so that may be an attempt to improve phone performance.

interestingly, the apple rep seemed to know more about the upgrade options than the att rep. but both said that what they do know is not written in stone and is the best info they have thus far.

vqdriver
06-11-2010, 12:36 PM
one thing to note about the different data plans.

with att allowing the extension of current contracts for two more years with the unlimited data plan, AND by incentivizing the upgrade with the subsidized handset price, the word on the street is that there's something big coming from either the google or droid platforms within the next year which they fear may be more compelling than the new iphone.

so apple haters may have a reason to sit out.

SoCalSteve
06-11-2010, 01:11 PM
one thing to note about the different data plans.

with att allowing the extension of current contracts for two more years with the unlimited data plan, AND by incentivizing the upgrade with the subsidized handset price, the word on the street is that there's something big coming from either the google or droid platforms within the next year which they fear may be more compelling than the new iphone.

so apple haters may have a reason to sit out.

There have always been subsidized handset pricing on pretty much every phone ever made (with every phone carrier) and extending contracts by 2 years is standard operating practice for all the phone companies.

As for there being the next "iPhone Killer"....This has been talked about for as long as the iPhone has been around and no one has seem to come even close to achieving it.

JMerring
06-11-2010, 01:30 PM
As for there being the next "iPhone Killer"....This has been talked about for as long as the iPhone has been around and no one has seem to come even close to achieving it.

no apple hater am i but come on - spec for spec, the iphone unquestionably has equals, if not superiors (though my view, having used both, is that android is in fact superior). you may prefer the way the iphone looks and feels, but it is no better a smartphone compared with htc's incredible than is blue a better color than, say, red.

iphone vs. android is also in some ways not a fair comparison because android looks, feels and works different on different devices.

vqdriver
06-11-2010, 02:02 PM
There have always been subsidized handset pricing on pretty much every phone ever made (with every phone carrier) and extending contracts by 2 years is standard operating practice for all the phone companies.

not totally accurate as it pertains to the iPhone. As of last July it was 300 or 400 even with the extension. And that was for a refurb not a preorder rollout. I remember that vividly.

Ray
06-12-2010, 10:16 PM
no apple hater am i but come on - spec for spec, the iphone unquestionably has equals, if not superiors (though my view, having used both, is that android is in fact superior). you may prefer the way the iphone looks and feels, but it is no better a smartphone compared with htc's incredible than is blue a better color than, say, red.

iphone vs. android is also in some ways not a fair comparison because android looks, feels and works different on different devices.
Specs is specs. The thing Apple does better than anyone is the integration of features between all of their compatible devices and software. They may not always have the best specs and you can always argue that somebody does SOMETHING better, but nobody else makes it all work together so easily and, usually, flawlessly. There are tradeoffs in terms of open vs closed systems, but the stuff all works and that what they're selling and what I'm buying. As long as you live in an area with good service, which I do, it's remarkably tough to beat.

-Ray

JMerring
06-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Specs is specs. The thing Apple does better than anyone is the integration of features between all of their compatible devices and software. They may not always have the best specs and you can always argue that somebody does SOMETHING better, but nobody else makes it all work together so easily and, usually, flawlessly. There are tradeoffs in terms of open vs closed systems, but the stuff all works and that what they're selling and what I'm buying. As long as you live in an area with good service, which I do, it's remarkably tough to beat.

-Ray

no argument from me regarding apple's ease of use - it's why my wife is holding out for an iphone on verizon. imo, however, the flawlessness of apple products is overrated.

Rueda Tropical
06-13-2010, 08:37 AM

-Ray

This has been a 2 edged sword for Apple. They work better because it's a closed proprietary system. This is great until applications that developers/users want get shut out by Apple but are offered on the more open system. Not allowing flash and penalizing developers by forcing them to have to develop 2 applications one for iPhone one for everyone else is going to wind up costing Apple the dominance in smart phones that it blew in desktop OS's.

Ray
06-13-2010, 10:33 AM
This has been a 2 edged sword for Apple. They work better because it's a closed proprietary system. This is great until applications that developers/users want get shut out by Apple but are offered on the more open system. Not allowing flash and penalizing developers by forcing them to have to develop 2 applications one for iPhone one for everyone else is going to wind up costing Apple the dominance in smart phones that it blew in desktop OS's.
I suspect you're right, but the Mac continued to be a very good premium product at a premium price even after it became clear it would never dominate the market. I have no problem with the iPhone going that route - I don't care about being on the winning team - I just want **** that works. I went from Mac to Windows when I absolutely NEEDED some of the obscure apps that were never ported over to Mac. I recently switched back when I stopped needing those apps. The Mac was and is a vastly more satisfying system to use. I suspect they'll continue to hold that particular advantage with the iPhone. I'm sure the shareholders will be bummed at the loss of market share, but as a customer, I don't give a rip.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
06-13-2010, 10:39 AM
I suspect you're right, but the Mac continued to be a very good premium product at a premium price even after it became clear it would never dominate the market. I have no problem with the iPhone going that route - I don't care about being on the winning team - I just want **** that works. I went from Mac to Windows when I absolutely NEEDED some of the obscure apps that were never ported over to Mac. I recently switched back when I stopped needing those apps. The Mac was and is a vastly more satisfying system to use. I suspect they'll continue to hold that particular advantage with the iPhone. I'm sure the shareholders will be bummed at the loss of market share, but as a customer, I don't give a rip.

-Ray

Question, how does music playing and memory impact use of both the Droid and the Iphone? I like the explicit memory of the IPhone, but from I what I understand, the droid can stream your music to the phone. The 32G memory of the Iphone seems like a plus for all the photo and video taking.

Interesting conversation.

Kane
06-13-2010, 11:05 AM
I have a 64 gig ipod Touch and I just bought an Evo.

When you look at microsoft operating systems don't you ever think, how the hell can they be so dumb. Why don't they just copy Apple OS.

Well, I am not going to accusing anyone of anything, but the HTC Sprint Evo is very similar in feel to the Iphone. In many areas it is better.
-The screen is bigger and more readable than the current Iphone. The 4g has a small screen but apparently much better resolution. Advantage: Evo for those of us who wear reading glasses.
-Removable battery and memory chip. Advantage: Evo
-Ability to play Flash Video's. Advantage: Evo
-Most of the Apps are free on the Sprint and they are remarkably similar or exactly the same on the Sprint Evo. Advantage: Evo
-Music, let's be real. Advantage: Iphone
-Network is much better for Sprint in the S.F. Bay Area if only because everyone has an Iphone and their network is so crowded. Advantage: Evo
-Keyboard Touch Screen and Layout. Not even close! The Evo has cursor movers etc and the horizontal view is very nice with lots of screen real estate to see what you are writing. Advantage: Evo
-Portability is much better on an Apple. I use a belt holster for my Evo, but I can't imagine many women doing that. Avantage: Iphone
-Magnetic Field. Evo = 1.06, Apple 3G =.76, Apple 4G = ?
Cheers,
Kane

vqdriver
06-13-2010, 12:29 PM
my apple gear (iphone and laptop) have not aged well. with time, they get slower and slower doing the same things and multiple resets are not uncommon. complete restorations work fine but for shorter and shorter durations.

but all the handset comparisons aside, i personally can't indulge my curiosity of droid specifically due to itunes. there's just too much in my library now to consider switching platforms. and if i ever did, i'd be back to carrying an ipod and a cell phone, which i guess is what apple intended all along.....

troymac
06-14-2010, 01:30 AM
Looks like another great device by apple .... yes I'm biased 2 iphones in family and just bought my wife the ipad a couple of weeks ago, we'll actually 3 iphones in family as my youngest daughter uses the 1st gen iphone as her ipod and still it runs like a top that said I'm typing on a pc with windows xp

Dekonick
06-14-2010, 07:38 AM
I now own a Sprint EVO. I also have 2 ipod touch devices, one first generation, one third generation. I also have an ipod 160gig classic. I know lots of folks with iphones, and have played with them.

I have no doubt the iphone4 will be nice. I like the iphone 3g, but the EVO is absolutely awesome. As the android OS matures, it appears it will dominate.

Itunes is NOT a problem - 'there is an ap for that...' yeah, thats right folks, some smart android programmers out there have already solved this problem.

The only drawback to the EVO is size (if you don't like big -) and battery life. IF you leave 4g, wifi, bluetooth, GPS all on and run a few applications your battery life will suffer BIG TIME. If you leave your phone on standby, with the bells off unless you need them, battery is what I expect from a smartphone.

My guess is battery life will improve with better batteries (after all you CAN change it! What? You can't change your iphone battery? Oh... SORRY.)

Both are great devices. The iphone gets major points for style, but I will always go open source given a chance.

Honestly, the EVO owns the phone market NOW. It may change with the iphone4, but I expect they will be equals.

:)

Campy or Shimano?

rustychain
06-14-2010, 07:54 AM
My opinionated rant
All phone companies suck. The one you don't have now always looks better however
Computer geeks like android. Luddites like iPhone. There are more Luddites then computer geeks. I'm guessing 100 to 1
The market says iPhone > Android
computer geeks say iPhone < Android
Market > Computer geeks
market wins = iPhone wins
Has anybody tried the new G4 phone yet???
Mmmmmmm

avalonracing
06-14-2010, 08:02 AM
My first gen iPhone was the coolest, most useful product that I ever bought. My second gen iPhone (3Gs) is even better. I suspect that the 4G iPhone will continue build on an amazing product.

Ray
06-14-2010, 08:04 AM
My opinionated rant
All phone companies suck. The one you don't have now always looks better however
Computer geeks like android. Luddites like iPhone. There are more Luddites then computer geeks. I'm guessing 100 to 1
The market says iPhone > Android
computer geeks say iPhone < Android
Market > Computer geeks
market wins = iPhone wins
Has anybody tried the new G4 phone yet???
Mmmmmmm
If iphone users are Luddites, what's that make blackberry users?

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
06-14-2010, 08:15 AM
If iphone users are Luddites, what's that make blackberry users?

-Ray

Most people I know who use BB use them for work only, it seems the Iphone and others are for mass market and other personal use.

Jeff Weir
06-24-2010, 05:00 PM
Spent some time at the apple store today...... If you haven't had a chance yet, go to the store and compare the screen on the "4" to your current iphone. The difference is HUGE. Response time/overall speed is much faster than previous models.
Reception issues are the hot topic right now. Time will tell how it settles out.

SoCalSteve
06-24-2010, 05:14 PM
My new iPhone 4 G is pretty cool, I must say (delivered today). But whats really cool is the 4.0 software (downloaded it Monday on my 3GS phone).

Off to ship the 3GS (sold it on ebay).

sevencyclist
06-24-2010, 05:22 PM
My new iPhone 4 G is pretty cool, I must say (delivered today). But whats really cool is the 4.0 software (downloaded it Monday on my 3GS phone).

Off to ship the 3GS (sold it on ebay).
Would love to hear about the degree of real life improvement in the phone reception. I am hoping it is much better so I can convince my wife to allow me to upgrade.

I downloaded the 4.0 Software on the 3G, and it finally allowed me to have ibook on it. :banana:

Rueda Tropical
06-29-2010, 04:49 PM
iPhone v EVO (NSFW!!)

http://techcrunch.com/2010/06/28/iphone-4-vs-evo-4g/

Ray
06-29-2010, 05:41 PM
I was at the Apple store today and checked out the iphone 4. I guess the screen was a little sharper, but its no larger and it really wasn't all that different. Aside from the various self-video things it does (that I don't care about), I didn't see much that it does that the 3gs doesn't and I already have one of those. So I upgraded my system to system 4 and now I have folders and can show my mail from multiple accounts in one screen and the photo app is a bit better. Not huge deals, but incrementally nice. No new iphone for me until they come out with a 64 gig version.

The ipad looks better to me every time I play around with one, but I still can't see actually buying one until they have some rudimentary form of file management on board and just a tiny bit more laptop type of functionality. At that point I'll probably be all over it. For web surfing and looking at photos, it friggin' rocks, as I'd imagine a few of the apps do too.

-Ray

Derailer
06-29-2010, 08:59 PM
The ipad looks better to me every time I play around with one, but I still can't see actually buying one until they have some rudimentary form of file management on board and just a tiny bit more laptop type of functionality. At that point I'll probably be all over it. For web surfing and looking at photos, it friggin' rocks, as I'd imagine a few of the apps do too.

-Ray

As an ipad owner, your analysis of the device's weakness -- file storage -- is spot on. But it's not much of a weakness, imo: I use the ipad for books, pdfs, music, and movies. The ipad offers decent management options for all of these file formats. I'm sure I would store other stuff on there if I could, but I'm not sure what.

legacysti888
06-30-2010, 01:46 AM
I just returned all 4 Evos back to Sprint. It's a great smartphone except for the battery life. We averaged 4 hrs in real time use with 4G, GPS, Bluetooth and sometimes wifi on. We have full 4G network here in Hawaii.

Personally, after my heavy use with the Evo, i find it too large for my hand.
Texting requires two hands to hold the cell. And the orientation from landscape to portrait is soooo slooowwww.... I went back to my Palm Pre and love it.

Bottom line, as much as i want to love it, you Can't do business with a phone that has no power. Worse still, one that can leave you stranded with no where to charge. Buy another battery? Yeah i can do that. But why? 4hrs average battery life is just too short for my use.

YMMV.

Dekonick
06-30-2010, 09:32 PM
Ummm... what did you expect with all of that turned on? I use 4g when I have coverage, and am near a power source. Wifi - same deal. No need to keep it on all the time. Turn it on when you need it, turn it off when you don't. Do you keep all of the lights on all at the same time in your house? If you turn on all of the power hungry parts all at once and have the processor multi tasking (it always is unless you use a task killer) you are going to have a short supply of juice. At least you can change the battery. Have you noticed the trend with laptops? A dedicated graphics card ON A SWITCH with integrated on the MB so you can enjoy your favorite games in the airport where you can plug in while stuck on a layover... then switchoff to save juice when you are away from the grid. The EVO gave you the option - you don't have to run full throttle all of the time...

As far as size - that I get. I love the big screen so it is just a bonus for me.

You can get a full day with the EVO if you use 3g with gps on and task killer keeping the system clean. It is all in how you manage your power consumption.

Still... I think they would have been better off with a slightly thicker phone with a larger capacity battery to allow you to use all the whistles and bells... my bet is there will be after market devices to do just that.

Loving my EVO.

:)

legacysti888
07-01-2010, 02:44 AM
I stand corrected.

The Evo is awesome with everything turned off.

SoCalSteve
07-01-2010, 08:32 AM
I stand corrected.

The Evo is awesome with everything turned off.

Post of the day!

vqdriver
07-01-2010, 08:03 PM
ok, i have an iphone, but this animation is awesome with awesome sauce

warning: language

http://www.break.com/index/iphone-4-vs-htc-evo.html