PDA

View Full Version : OT: Digital Picture Help

saab2000
04-01-2005, 01:24 PM
What is the deal with digital photos? I have posted some in the past with varying degrees of success.

I have been taking pictures of my Merckx and I cannot figure something out. Some photos in the Custom Gallery are large and extremely sharp. I have taken my photos to be the same way and then cropped them to reduce the file size.

I don't know what the deal is, but my camera seems counterintuitive. If I take a photo at the large size it is very sharp. If I take it at a smaller size it is much less sharp, even if the camera is set to the maximum resolution.

So my latest round of Merckx pics have been taken at medium resolution and large size. But the file is much too large to attach here.

What do I need to do to reduce the file size, yet keep some clarity and still have a decent picture size when attached?

Can anyone help? :crap:

FWIW, I am using an Apple iBook G4.

Keith A
04-01-2005, 01:39 PM
Saab,

If you want to send me the pictures, I can reduce the file size and still maintain some visual sharpness. You can e-mail me at dka@vx.com -- please send the original images from the camera and I'll see what I can do.

saab2000
04-01-2005, 01:47 PM
I'll try.....

Needs Help
04-02-2005, 05:09 AM
Hi,

Generally, with computer screens, the maximum pixels per inch that can be displayed is 72ppi. So, start off by setting the ppi of the image to 72 ppi in PhotoShop or whatever photo editor you are using.

Then, the pixel dimensions, e.g. 640 X 480, will determine the file size, as well as the physical size onscreen. The larger the pixel dimensions, the more total pixels there will be, and the larger the file size. So, set the pixel dimensions equal to whatever the max Serotta allows. If the limit is listed as a total file size, then play with the pixel dimensions until you are just under that file size. If you have Photoshop, I can list the steps for you.

BumbleBeeDave
04-02-2005, 08:23 AM
My God, did I REALLY say that??? ;) :rolleyes: :beer:

You need to size your photos at about 4-6” wide at 72 pixels per inch, then save them as JPEG files--I save mine at the “medium” quality setting. You can make them physically bigger--but only up to the file size limit set for the forum. Photoshop has a handy feature in it’s “resize image” dialogue box that lets you see the file size change as you change the physical and pixels-per-inch resolution of the image. THat way you can tweak it to get Max size and detail yet come in just under the file size limit.

I can usually easily size a horizontal photo 6-8” wide at 72ppi and still make the file size limit. But 6” seems to be a good compromise. It makes the photo large enough to be very sharp and easily viewable, yet still load resonably quickly for those of use who are still in the stone-age of dial-up.

BBDave