PDA

View Full Version : Shifting Issues on an Allez circa 1984.

false_Aest
06-07-2010, 02:59 PM
ok,

So I got the ferrule. No more kinks in the cable/housing.

Now I'm dealing with slow shifting.

To get the shifting to work I have to start with a higher-than-normal cable tension. This creates sluggishness when I try to shift back.

My thought is that there is simply too much friction with the cable guide (see pict). Should I be running housing through that guide?

I appreciate your help.

Ken Robb
06-07-2010, 06:21 PM
the only bike I have with that kind of guide is friction/Nuovo Record group and it works fine. I wouldn't think this guide should have more friction than one modern design in metal under the BB. I have a Riv that was built with Teflon cable housing liner for the cable to run through in the area of the metal guide under the BB. The liner shifted up the cable over time to where it was doing nothing but I noticed no difference in shifting. The tech said he uses the liner to protect the paint in the metal guide rather than to improve shifting.
Is the metal in the guide smooth?

chuckroast
06-07-2010, 07:05 PM
I have this on a Moser with friction shifting as well (Campy Nuevo) and it doesn't shift as briskly as modern equipment. Maybe just the price for vintage equipment?

false_Aest
06-07-2010, 07:28 PM
Yeah I kind've figured there'd be a price for putting new stuff on an old frame.

I gotta believe there's a solution out there though.

FWIW I tried putting a piece of housing in there it only serves to make the cable bend in a not-so-great-way.

I'm actually wondering if one of those teflon coated cables might be an option.

Thoughts?

PS. The cable guide is smooth.

Marcusaurelius
06-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Well I suspect a local framesbuilder could perform a few modifications of the frame and it shouldn't cost a lot especially if you touch up the repaired areas yourself.