PDA

View Full Version : Philly Bike Race

rounder
06-06-2010, 10:47 PM
I wanted to go to the bike race today but had to go to and was stuck in IL. How did it go. Who won. Hope it went well. I clicked on VN but could not not get connected from the hotel. Thanks.

Polyglot
06-06-2010, 11:23 PM
I wanted to go to the bike race today but had to go to and was stuck in IL. How did it go. Who won. Hope it went well. I clicked on VN but could not not get connected from the hotel. Thanks.

Matt Goss (HTC) in front of Peter Sagan (Liquigas).

Very hot, muggy and windy but no real precipitation.

Very good race.

Ray
06-07-2010, 04:42 AM
Yeah, pretty good sized group stayed away for most of the race and a Canadian kid, Will Routley went solo off the front for something like 40-50 miles. But predictably, it all came back together on the last small laps after they were finished with the longer laps and finished with the Wall, and it came down to a bunch sprint. Again. The city went nuts again, like it always does. The local TV coverage was good - I think VS did a bit on it as well, but I didn't see that.

-Ray

rounder
06-07-2010, 06:54 AM
Thanks! I try to go every year but it did not work out this time.

Ray
06-07-2010, 07:30 AM
Thanks! I try to go every year but it did not work out this time.
I didn't go either. The weather was threatening all day, there was a tornado watch for a few hours, the main highway I'd use to get to the point on the trail I ride in from was closed all morning.... Events conspired to keep me at home. But there was about 3 1/2 or 4 hours of live coverage, in HD no less, and you can really get a better feel for the race watching on the tube. I go down there some years but its more for the party and the event than any serious attempt to follow the race.

Amazingly, its never rained on this race, in 26 years now. Huge storms the day before, the day after, even later the same day. But not a serious drop during the race, ever. The wind from the front coming in was pretty crazy yesterday though - I felt for that kid riding solo every time he'd head out Kelly Drive towards Manayunk, he was heading straight into a howler.

-Ray