PDA

View Full Version : how does the new shimano change your position?

vqdriver
06-04-2010, 11:53 AM
looking at the new DA and ultegra, and now the new 105, the tops of the levers appear longer. has anyone who's switched over noticed an extended position compared to the previous iterations? maybe you've had to go down a size in stem length? or is it just an illusion.....

ahumblecycler
06-04-2010, 12:03 PM
My Lynskey has Ultegra 6700, and I love it. My other two road bikes have DA7800, one of which has Gen2 Hudz and the other (for the next days) still sport the original hoods. Also worth noting that the Ultegra 6700 replaced my failed Campy 11-speed experiment.

For the most, I would say it is an illusion. The top is flatter and broader, which allowed me to set it up more like how I had the Record shifters for a smooth transition. My DA7800 have the scoop and coupled with the large head presents more of an angled look and set up. The shape makes me mount them higher on the bars, which does reduce overall reach and even brings the levers higher (and I hate that for fit, steering, and stability reasons). The new ergo does not have the bulging head although it was nicely larger than on the Records (just one of the many gripes I had about those levers), which actually reduced the length of the head. Side by side, I can mount the new ergos lower (yeah!), achieve flatter transition (yeah!), and get most if not all of my palm on the shifter versus palm resting on bars (yeah!).

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow up questions.

SoCalSteve
06-04-2010, 12:49 PM
My Lynskey has Ultegra 6700, and I love it. My other two road bikes have DA7800, one of which has Gen2 Hudz and the other (for the next days) still sport the original hoods. Also worth noting that the Ultegra 6700 replaced my failed Campy 11-speed experiment.

For the most, I would say it is an illusion. The top is flatter and broader, which allowed me to set it up more like how I had the Record shifters for a smooth transition. My DA7800 have the scoop and coupled with the large head presents more of an angled look and set up. The shape makes me mount them higher on the bars, which does reduce overall reach and even brings the levers higher (and I hate that for fit, steering, and stability reasons). The new ergo does not have the bulging head although it was nicely larger than on the Records (just one of the many gripes I had about those levers), which actually reduced the length of the head. Side by side, I can mount the new ergos lower (yeah!), achieve flatter transition (yeah!), and get most if not all of my palm on the shifter versus palm resting on bars (yeah!).

I hope this helps. Please feel free to ask follow up questions.

What I have noticed is that they do not appear to be any longer, BUT, they are much more comfortable and are definitely flatter and thinner...for me, this equates to greater comfort.

I only wish they had a Flighteck for the new shifters...Beyond that, I am very happy with the 7900 on my Ottrott.

ahumblecycler
06-04-2010, 01:33 PM
@SoCalSteve
You mentioned thinner? I find the Ultegra 6700 to be appreciatively wider than my DA7800, dispersing pressure across the palm. I do not use gloves.

One other thing I will add to my above comments. I like the shape of the upper lever. When I stand and pound, I wrap my trigger finger around the front of the shifter. The shifter now has a natural groove or resting place that adds so much more comfort and confidence for my style of cycling.

dave thompson
06-06-2010, 06:38 PM
looking at the new DA and ultegra, and now the new 105, the tops of the levers appear longer. has anyone who's switched over noticed an extended position compared to the previous iterations? maybe you've had to go down a size in stem length? or is it just an illusion.....
I did a direct comparison between DA 7800 and Ultegra 6700 differences here: http://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=63990&highlight=rode+report