PDA

View Full Version : EC90 SL's, Anyone Try Them?

oldguy00
06-04-2010, 11:20 AM
Anyone had a chance to try the Easton EC90 SL carbon wheels (clincher or tubie)?? How'd ya like them??

Idris Icabod
06-04-2010, 11:43 AM
I've had a pair for about 2 months now. No problems at all, great wheels, highly recommend.

fourflys
06-04-2010, 12:08 PM
I've had a pair for about 2 months now. No problems at all, great wheels, highly recommend.

Have you ridden any other carbon wheels? If so, what are the differences, good or bad?

How do you compare to alloy wheels you have?

regularguy412
06-04-2010, 07:55 PM
Just pulled the trigger on some EC 90 SL tubies last nite. Already in transit. I'll let you know in a few days. Decided they were a decent replacement for my old, tired and now tacoed Campy Record Chronos. Rear Campy just gave up the ghost last Tuesday. I'm excited. Only 'issue' I've read about re: the SLs, some have complained they fill with water when riding in heavy rain. I don't usually ride much in heavy rain, so, we'll see.

Mike in AR:beer:

dimsy
06-05-2010, 01:00 PM
ive never owned a pair of carbon wheels, but the other day i was chatting up my lbs owner about nice carbon bikes and he made a recommendation.

he and i are about the same size so he pulled out his bike from the back (we happen to ride the same pedals too so it worked out nicely) and offered to let me test ride it.

It was a storck fascenario 0.8 and it had on the 2010 easton ec90 sl clinchers and sram red group. i took it out for about 5 miles.

right off the bat i was disappointed with the braking power. it felt soft and mushy and the weather was perfect. i'm not sure how much but i'd imagine the breaking distance might increase, at least that's how it felt, and if only psychologically, this is a drawback.

on the upside, the wheels felt amazing as did the whole ride. i own a set of easton al clinchers that roll beautifully, and the ec90's did as well.

overall i was pleased and felt that i could do with the difference in braking based on the comfort of the wheels.

the bike itself was a joy to ride. a few pedal strokes and i was flying! I also loved the sram components (i'd never tried them before). getting used to the double tap was very very easy and quick.

but yeah. i liked them a lot, though the braking left something to be desired. and i would imagine in the rain, i'd be a little antsy.

fogrider
06-05-2010, 10:58 PM
right off the bat i was disappointed with the braking power. it felt soft and mushy and the weather was perfect. i'm not sure how much but i'd imagine the breaking distance might increase, at least that's how it felt, and if only psychologically, this is a drawback.

the bike itself was a joy to ride. a few pedal strokes and i was flying! I also loved the sram components (i'd never tried them before). getting used to the double tap was very very easy and quick.

but yeah. i liked them a lot, though the braking left something to be desired. and i would imagine in the rain, i'd be a little antsy.

I think you hit the nail on the head. I have a pair of rims with low profile tubular reyonlds rims with veloflex hubs (now easton). the wheelset weighs in a 1,150 grams...the acceleration is unbelievable. it seems like at any speed, if I stand on the pedals, and launch. and they climb like you wouldn't believe. and yes, braking is not great, but carbon wheels are about going fast, braking only slow you down!