PDA

View Full Version : Not really OT: Mosquitoes are eating me alive

Louis
06-03-2010, 11:52 PM
For some reason this week is worse than any other time I can recall for years. Withing 5 seconds of my stepping outside I have a swarm around me and the feast begins. Inevitably a few make it into the house and I wake up in the morning with two or three bites on my hands.

What makes this not OT is that the road going in to my subdivision is a steep hill where for about 8 minutes it is impossible to outrun the critters. Last weekend I watched helplessly as they sucked me dry. Have you ever swatted wildly at mosquitoes on a 20% grade (yes, 20%, I kid you not). The bike tends to swerve all over the road.

So today I brought a bug-spray bottle with me and left it at the bottom of the hill. At the end of my ride I applied it to my arms and legs then rode the last 1.5 miles home. A huge improvement, but I could still hear them buzzing around my face, where I had not used any spray.

The whole mosquito thing has really put a damper on my activities lately. You can't do anything outside without slathering yourself with Deet, which I really dislike, and I dread the end of my rides. I sure hope this doesn't last much longer.

Thanks for listening to my rant...

Louis

Nil Else
06-04-2010, 01:01 AM
It's been really bad 'round here too (Northern IL) this year and I've never had so many in the house before. They truly love me and I end up with gigantic welts. It gets old when everyones baffled and asks 'what happened to you? what skeeters?'. Therefore, and especially the last couple of weeks, I simply must get soaked of repellent all over before I leave the house... I really hate the stuff (and I thought it can't be good for the latex shorts) but keeps them away and it's good thing I take after-ride shower. I'd like to find an alternative repellent of sorts that doesn't smell so *repellent* and toxic and less greasy (the good strong stuffs are greasy)... something that's combined into sunscreen perhaps would be nice.

I also searched for indoor bug trapper that works but there weren't any good ones I could find. If I spot a skeeter I usually have to find and kill it. I hate going to bed knowing the bastard's in the house. I hate waking up with big red nose. When you get it on your nose it doesn't itch... it hurts.

Birddog
06-04-2010, 06:40 AM
A lot of people swear by Avon's "Skin So Soft" lotion. it is a mineral oil base lotion. Read up on it on the web as there is some debate as to it's effectiveness. I have never tried it but people I know swear by it, esp for kids as it reportedly has no harmful ingredients.
Birddog

snah
06-04-2010, 07:15 AM
My wife swears that Bounce dryer sheets do the job as well.

SEABREEZE
06-04-2010, 08:01 AM
A lot of people swear by Avon's "Skin So Soft" lotion. it is a mineral oil base lotion. Read up on it on the web as there is some debate as to it's effectiveness. I have never tried it but people I know swear by it, esp for kids as it reportedly has no harmful ingredients.
Birddog

Good call Birddog, early morning and dusk, always seem the worst time for mosquitoes.

Pray for bats

rwsaunders
06-04-2010, 08:28 AM
When in doubt, light a cigar.... :cool:

bironi
06-04-2010, 09:12 AM
My wife swears that Bounce dryer sheets do the job as well.

Now I can believe that. They sure as heck repel me, and I can't stand riding behind someone who uses them.

tch
06-04-2010, 09:18 AM
...in Northern Minnesota, I can tell you that I have spent time researching mosquito repellents, etc. While some folks swear by Skin So Soft, no research (and there has been a fair bit) has ever verified the efficacy of this or lighted cigars or other assorted stuff. The only research-approved repellent is DEET.
Find a lotion with an appropriate %, apply it before you ride, and that's the answer.

The percentage in various repellents varies from 5% all the way up to, like, 85%. If you have a big problem like you say, I'd suggest starting with a lotion that contains at least 20% and then slowly working up from there. Ultimately, DEET is not good for you, and in high concentrations will "melt" plastic, so I try to find the right balance b/w effectiveness and side effects.

Ken Robb
06-04-2010, 09:19 AM
the critters are only repelled from areas where repellent was applied. It doesn't work by creating an aura of smelly impenetrability.

Kevan
06-04-2010, 09:37 AM
I have no idea if this'll work, but it might be an idea for the light strap on y'r saddlebag:

http://www.off.com/clip-on-mosquito-repellent/

RADaines
06-04-2010, 09:57 AM
I have used Cutter Advanced with picaridin instead of DEET with much success. Several repellents are available with picaridin, I buy mine from Lowes but can't remember the exact name of the current one that I am using, just check the label. We have dined outside on Grand Cayman at sunset without getting a single bite. Believe me, the mosquitoes can come in clouds! There is a slight odor but this goes away after drying. There is no greasiness and you are not aware that you have it on.

Bytesiz
06-04-2010, 10:11 AM
We like this stuff...

http://www.ecoblends.com/

Dekonick
06-04-2010, 12:24 PM
I hate 'em. Mosquito magnet for the back yard...

From what I have heard, there are newer chemicals in 'da werks' that promise to provide much better effectiveness than DEET.... time will tell...