PDA

View Full Version : Bib repair?

BlackTiBob
06-03-2010, 10:18 PM
Hi,
I really hate it when an expensive pair of bibs, with the chamois still perfect, gets "thin in the rear" and with a little sun at your back, the moon is showing....

Is it possible to buy some stretchy material and sew it inside the rear as a second layer? Anybody ever do this and have suggestions? Use thread that stretches too?

It's a shame as every other aspect of the bibs is perfect.

Any suggestions to prevent this on new bibs?? Why does the fabric get thin?
Thanks

pdmtong
06-03-2010, 10:24 PM
ask new york financiers why they get custom suits made with 2 pairs of pants...

John H.
06-04-2010, 10:58 AM
I don't know of anyone that puts all new lycra in a bib- though they can repair side panels and such- actually the chamois is the cheap part. Repair places do put new chamois in old bibs.
If you have this thinning you should look at how you care for your cycling gear. It is not wear, it is lycra degradation. It is caused by bacteria. This happens when people wear same shorts for multiple rides (holy bacteria!), also happens with caustic sweaters, people who leave gear in a laundry hamper for a while before washing, or people who leave gear in a gear bag or backpack- any of these fit you?
Also might want to look at what kind of laundry detergent you use.
Throw them out and start over- care for them differently this time.

BlackTiBob
06-04-2010, 02:47 PM
thanks John,
I should have added that I hand wash bibs after every ride, with minimal amount of non-scented laundry detergent. Then spin dry in washing machine (centrifuge effect). Then set out to air dry.
So, I don't think there is any room for improvement there, unless Tide unscented is bad for Lycra but I doubt that.

so has anyone ever sewn in another layer of Lycra in rear of bibs?

bluto
05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
Before I posted a really odd (seemed odd to me) question I did quick search and found someone had asked the same question i was about to pose:

Has anyone ever patched or repaired a pair of bibs? Got some rubbing on the seat area that is about to wear through

godfrey1112000
05-27-2013, 10:28 AM
http://www.mtnsoles.com/clothing-repairsalterations

bibbs rain gear and whatever else you want

lhuerta
05-27-2013, 12:56 PM
http://www.kucharikclothing.com/repairs.php

...you won't find a better deal.
Lou

dekindy
05-27-2013, 03:21 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Neoprene-Wetsuit-Booties-Snorkeling-AUTHORIZED/dp/B001HWFJNS/ref=cm_rdp_product

This is the only repair product that indicated it fixed lycra. Used it to repair a small hole in my lycra riding bibs. Don't know if it will work for covering large areas but maybe worth a try. Went on as advertised and survived wear and wash so far.

JEMM
05-27-2013, 05:32 PM
liquid tape from home depot.

GeekBoy
05-27-2013, 05:46 PM
A friend of mine took a patch from an old pair and had it sewn in locally for like $5, don't know further details but it didn't sound like it was too much of an issue.

GeekBoy
05-27-2013, 05:49 PM
It is not wear, it is lycra degradation. It is caused by bacteria.

Not to be "that" guy, but do you have a source for that? A quick google search didn't show anything, seems like a bit far fetched, but I'd love to know if I'm wrong.