PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Shipping a Rim to Australia

steveo
06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
So, I need to ship a rim to Australia and have been running into some difficulties. Does anyone have any experience in shipping a large item across the Pacific?

According to USPS the length + girth must be less than 78''. If a bicycle wheel is ~26'' in diameter, this is impossible. (length 26'', girth will be atleast 26*2 + width) therefor, 26 + 52 + width will be greater than 78''.

I just got a quote from FedEX which was $500+ and I've heard UPS is even more.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks everyone.

-Steve

nicrump
06-03-2010, 01:11 PM
So, I need to ship a rim to Australia and have been running into some difficulties. Does anyone have any experience in shipping a large item across the Pacific?

According to USPS the length + girth must be less than 78''. If a bicycle wheel is ~26'' in diameter, this is impossible. (length 26'', girth will be atleast 26*2 + width) therefor, 26 + 52 + width will be greater than 78''.

I just got a quote from FedEX which was $500+ and I've heard UPS is even more.

Any information would be extremely helpful.

Thanks everyone.

-Steve

where are you getting 26+52? should be 26h+26l+5w. i have shipped frame boxes all over with USPS. a rim should not be a problem.

Louis
06-03-2010, 01:21 PM
According to UPS:

How To Measure Your Package Size

To measure ground packages use the following formula:

Length + 2x Width + 2x Height

Step 1. Determining Length

Measure the longest side of the package, rounding to the nearest inch. This is your length.

Step 2. Determining Girth (2x Width + 2x Height)

Measure the width of the package, rounding to the nearest inch. Multiply this number by 2.
Measure the height of the package, rounding to the nearest inch. Multiply this number by 2.
Add these two numbers together. This is your girth.

Step 3. Add the length and the girth together. This is your package measurement.

Step 4. Weigh the package to obtain its actual weight.

steveo
06-03-2010, 02:28 PM
@nicrump.

They base it off of LENGTH + GIRTH.

Let's assume the box is 26''x26''x5''

Length is 26.

Girth would be the distance around, so, 26 + 26 + 5 + 5 = 62

So L + G = 26 + 62 = 88.

Just got back from the post office again, and they can't do it priority. They can do global express, but at a price of $400+.

This is so frustrating.

ergott
06-03-2010, 02:50 PM
I've gotten different results from different post offices. Technically, it can't go Priority because the max for Australia is 79in. A rim box is 88in the way PO measures.

I was able to send out a few wheels to Australia over the years via Priority at my PO. I used to tell my customers the situation and that they would pay actual cost ($263.75 at the PO here if no Priority) either way.

It was a gamble and I don't do it anymore (walked away from the table with my winnings, thank you).

palincss
06-03-2010, 03:00 PM
Any chance Velocity in Australia would have a rim locally, so you wouldn't have to ship halfway around the world?

steveo
06-03-2010, 03:22 PM
@palin

Someone else brought up Velocity. I'm shipping an Edge rim.

That's a great idea though! I wish that option existed.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 05:50 PM
I shipped a fork to a forumite in Australia and it was reasonable-USPS or Fed Ex, I can't remember which service I used. I wish I could offer you more info.

steveo
06-03-2010, 06:49 PM
I've pretty much spent the whole day trying to figure this out.

Doesn't seem like it is possible (under $400). Even had a LBS employee who was very familiar with the USPS staff take it in with my debit card and try to do it. Eventually got the regional manager on the phone who said even if they do ship it, customs in Aus won't accept it and it will sit there for months.

I refunded the buyer. I hope he understands.

bking
06-03-2010, 10:14 PM
You may want to email Dazza at Lewellyn Bikes (Brisbane I believe). He'd know if there were a better way.