PDA

View Full Version : A cycling idea that really stinks...

mcallen
06-02-2010, 09:57 PM
but that may be a good thing: http://www.physorg.com/news194683221.html

"Cycle helmets are available in a wide range of types, including foldable models, models fitted with a flashing rear light or featuring an iPhone display. In future, they will start to smell distinctively if they need to be replaced. A new process causes odoriferous oils to exude from plastic materials if they are cracked."

Nil Else
06-02-2010, 10:30 PM
In future, they will start to smell distinctively if they need to be replaced. A new process causes odoriferous oils to exude from plastic materials if they are cracked."

This is a great idea for carbon bike/parts.

ahumblecycler
06-03-2010, 05:49 AM
I disagree with the statement that this is a great idea. I also hope Nil Else is only joking by singling out carbon-based construction. My disagreement stems from complacency and over reliance on "other" means to assess the structural integrity of a particular, or any for that matter, item. And before someone types "but I would never do that," remember that you are only you and not every single person who rides a bike.

Nil Else
06-03-2010, 07:50 AM
I disagree with the statement that this is a great idea. I also hope Nil Else is only joking by singling out carbon-based construction. My disagreement stems from complacency and over reliance on "other" means to assess the structural integrity of a particular, or any for that matter, item. And before someone types "but I would never do that," remember that you are only you and not every single person who rides a bike.

Huh...?

Peace, ahum.

ahumblecycler
06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
@Nil Else

Peace for sure as I meant no disrespect. I only was curious why you singled out carbon and did not include other materials such as steel and Ti. :beer:

The rest of my statement was my opinion why I thought the entire odor idea, while had the best interests at heart, would in fact may be detrimental to overall inspection and safety.