PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Heartbreak

93legendti
06-02-2010, 09:06 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100602/SPORTS02/100602063/1321/Tigers-Galarraga-denied-perfect-game-on-blown-call

The veteran ump regretted it.

“Galarraga had retired all 26 Cleveland hitters when, with two out in the ninth, rookie Jason Donald sent a grounder into the second-base hole.

First baseman Miguel Cabrera broke and fielded the ball and threw to Galarraga covering first.

First-base umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Donald was safe.

I just cost that kid a perfect game,” Joyce said. “I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.”

Poor guy was Tiger rookie of the year 2 years ago and started this year in the minors. He was just called up 2 weeks ago...

johnnymossville
06-02-2010, 09:15 PM
Ouch, I feel for the guy.

spamjoshua
06-02-2010, 09:22 PM
I saw the replay during the Rays game.

Woof.

93legendti
06-02-2010, 09:29 PM
I feel for the ump, as well. That's going to be hard for him to live down...

Louis
06-02-2010, 09:38 PM
I was driving home from work and listening to the Cardinals game on the radio when they started talking about it (the Detroit game) in the bottom of the 8th. In the top of the 9th the broadcasters then began to give a play-by-play of both games. I had to stop off at Lowe's to buy some stuff and decided to sit in my car in the parking lot for a while to see if he would get the perfect game. The Cardinal broadcasters didn't have any details on the final play, but reading the text above makes it an even bigger disappointment.

Having said that, I'm still against instant-replay in baseball. I doubt Gallaraga agrees.

Ray
06-02-2010, 09:40 PM
That's a huge bummer and I feel really bad for both of them.

But WHAT IS UP WITH BASEBALL????

20 perfect games in HISTORY, that's close to, what, 140-150 years of major league ball? And 3 within the last calendar year and shoulda been 4?

Are pitchers that good. Are batters getting that bad now that they're (supposedly) off the juice? I saw almost every out of the game Halliday pitched last week and it felt pretty magical to watch. But, jeez, all of these perfect games and near perfect games are taking a bit of the punch out of it...

-Ray

ThasFACE
06-02-2010, 10:03 PM
I was watching it live while on my trainer and damn near fell off when I saw the call; it got a full-on 'NO F**KING WAY' screamed at the tv.

It doesn't help that I'm a Tiger fan.

Ugh.

jeo99
06-02-2010, 10:28 PM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100602/SPORTS02/100602063/1321/Tigers-Galarraga-denied-perfect-game-on-blown-call

The veteran ump regretted it.

“Galarraga had retired all 26 Cleveland hitters when, with two out in the ninth, rookie Jason Donald sent a grounder into the second-base hole.

First baseman Miguel Cabrera broke and fielded the ball and threw to Galarraga covering first.

First-base umpire Jim Joyce ruled that Donald was safe.

I just cost that kid a perfect game,” Joyce said. “I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay.”

Poor guy was Tiger rookie of the year 2 years ago and started this year in the minors. He was just called up 2 weeks ago...

Adam,
Jim Joyce missed the same call in the bottom of the 8th a well! He called Johnny Damon out at first when the replay clearly showed the ball beat Damon to the bag. Joyce had a career bad night!
:argue:

Louis
06-02-2010, 10:43 PM
How about if Selig just overturns the call and gives the guy his perfect game?

rounder
06-02-2010, 10:50 PM
I didn't watch the game but believe it's a bummer. The part i do not understand is throughout baseball history, a perfect game was a rarity...they are still talking about Don Larsen's game in the world series. There have been only 20 perfect games of all time, including two this year. Now there are almost three this year. Is the baseball juiced. Are the hitters worse. Are the pitchers that more much dominating this year. Global warming??

ThasFACE
06-02-2010, 11:00 PM
That would be awesome, but it also could never ever ever happen since it would require tacit approval of both instant replay and an appeals process for blown calls.

As a side note, jim joyce is an ohio native and the Tigers are a Michigan team. Interpret that however you like.

Go Blue.

MattTuck
06-02-2010, 11:41 PM
sucks.

I still don't understand how more accurate calls (via instant replay and strike zone analysis) are in some way against the spirit of baseball.

Football figured it out pretty well with the "coach's challenge". Not sure why MLB has been so reluctant to utilize technology. I think it is a fact that some plays in baseball happen too fast for the human eye to accurately detect what happened, and that does not even include the fact that sometimes humans just make mistakes.

eh, not worth fighting about, I just don't understand how a more consistent strike zone and/or more accurate calls is bad for the game.

Ray
06-03-2010, 04:43 AM
sucks.

I still don't understand how more accurate calls (via instant replay and strike zone analysis) are in some way against the spirit of baseball.

Football figured it out pretty well with the "coach's challenge". Not sure why MLB has been so reluctant to utilize technology. I think it is a fact that some plays in baseball happen too fast for the human eye to accurately detect what happened, and that does not even include the fact that sometimes humans just make mistakes.

eh, not worth fighting about, I just don't understand how a more consistent strike zone and/or more accurate calls is bad for the game.
I think an instant replay for out/safe calls makes a lot of sense, but not balls and strikes. The strike zone is different for every player (based on height) and you can't necessarily tell from the TV shot whether the ball even crossed the plate on the close ones - the strike zone is an ever changing 3d 'object' and the TV's only showing you two of those dimensions. On top of which, there are north of 200 pitches thrown in every major league game. Challenging balls and strikes could really mess up the rhythm of the game.

But safe/out calls for sure. And you only overturn if the evidence is clear. Last night's was WAAAAAY clear - a LOT of them aren't. But they already allow reply to determine home runs. Remember A-Rod home run in last year's series that hit the TV camera in right field? I damn sure do, being a Phillies fan, but it was the right call and it was reversed from how it was initially called on the field. Adding reply for out/safe calls on the bases wouldn't hurt anything.

However you look at it, though, last night was a crime.

-Ray

Climb01742
06-03-2010, 05:18 AM
why didn't the runner go to the ump and say, "dude, i was out"? happens in tennis a lot, where a player corrects a call against themselves. but it does show how baseball, a game i love, is letting tradition get in the way. an honest, true outcome is paramount.

as to why pitchers seem so dominant now...one conjecture is that testing is really scaring players off of PEDs. what once were juiced hits are now grounders and juiced homers are now fly outs. who knows but interesting theory.

rugbysecondrow
06-03-2010, 05:20 AM
Great game that kid pitched. My wife and I happily switched from the O's game to that when ESPN televised the 9th. I could not believe that call was missed and that ump will surely regret his bad call, but that is baseball. He was right there, perfect position to make the play and he just missed it. This kid will likely have the second most famous perfect game ever due to the fact that it was officially blundered.

As much as I feel for this kid, I disagree with instant replay. The call did not change the outcome of the game (as cool as perefect games are, they are a novelty) and the Tigers still won. I think Replay has killled football by slowing it down too much (TV time outs as well). Baseball has a nice rythym to it as it is and I don't think it needs to change.

SEABREEZE
06-03-2010, 06:52 AM

Good idea Louis

IF I was the local sports announcer, I wold petition my audeience to bombarde
Selligs e mail to overule and call the guy out.

veloduffer
06-03-2010, 07:37 AM
Good idea Louis

IF I was the local sports announcer, I wold petition my audeience to bombarde
Selligs e mail to overule and call the guy out.

You shouldn't lay out the outcome all on that one play. You would need to examine every groundball play to see if all the calls during the game were correct. Heck, you need to even examine every strike and ball to see if they were correctly called.

It was just one call of many during the game that could influence the outcome. This one just happened to occur at the "almost" last out.

nahtnoj
06-03-2010, 08:36 AM
sucks.

Football plays 16 games per year. The odds of a blown call making or breaking a season are much higher. And a football game doesn't really have a flow to interrupt. In baseball, umpires make 100's of decisions per game. We tend to focus on the mistakes, not the 99.9% of the time they get it right. Having said that, last night was an enormous mistake. But did it change the outcome of the game? Not one iota. Still, I feel horrible for the pitcher.

johnnymossville
06-03-2010, 08:38 AM
mistakes happen. It's all part of the joy and sorrow of being human.

nahtnoj
06-03-2010, 08:41 AM
why didn't the runner go to the ump and say, "dude, i was out"?

Interesting. The batter's body language following the call (covering head with hands) seemed to indicate that he thought he was out.

Richard
06-03-2010, 08:52 AM
For all that invades pro sports -- ego, posturing, disloyalty, insane tweet wars -- Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce turned an awful storyline around so gracefully. Galarraga was mad and excited and shocked, and even a bit sad -- not just for himself. About 45 minutes after the game, Joyce called him out of the clubhouse and apologized to the pitcher for soiling his slice of fame, what would have been only the 21st perfect game in major-league history. ... There were few words, just a deep apology, as tears welled in Joyce's eyes. "He feels really bad, probably worse than me," said Galarraga, who began the season in the minors in Toledo. "I give a lot of credit to that guy, to say he's sorry. I gave him a hug. His body English said more than the words. Nobody's perfect, everybody's human."

The Detroit News

veloduffer
06-03-2010, 08:53 AM

Football replay is limited to certain calls. But it doesn't include one of the most important parts of the game - spotting the ball. I mean really, how can any official accurately place the football to see if the offense achieved a first down.

For baseball, instant replay would slow down a game that is already deemed slow.

MattTuck
06-03-2010, 08:55 AM
I think an instant replay for out/safe calls makes a lot of sense, but not balls and strikes. The strike zone is different for every player (based on height) and you can't necessarily tell from the TV shot whether the ball even crossed the plate on the close ones - the strike zone is an ever changing 3d 'object' and the TV's only showing you two of those dimensions. On top of which, there are north of 200 pitches thrown in every major league game. Challenging balls and strikes could really mess up the rhythm of the game.

The K-Zone and other similar systems doesn't rely on the TV shot, it relies on some very fancy computers and imaging from the side of the strike zone. It figures out where the pitch is laterally by analyzing it's size (thus distance from the sensor). I'm not suggesting a replay on every pitch. What I am suggesting is that the home plate umpire has a little earpiece of visual indicator in his helmet that gets instant analysis of whether the pitch was a strike or a ball. Yes, the strike zone is different for each player, but that is also easy to change in the system. And, I'd say you could give the umpire a little latitude in setting the strike zone anyway, perhaps as much as half a baseball in or outside of the strike zone depending on what he was feeling like. The difference is, let the computer (which is more accurate) make the call, and let the umpire control the pace of the game.

Tennis does this with the Cyclops system for calling serves in or out. I would not have a loud beep though, I'd just have an indicator to the umpire and he'd make the call. The technology is there, I'm not sure what the resistance is? Pitchers, batters and fans would all prefer a more consistent strike zone.

Chad Engle
06-03-2010, 08:59 AM
mistakes happen. It's all part of the joy and sorrow of being human.

Well said. Remember it's just a game. Probably getting more publicity with the blown call than if he had thrown the perfect game.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 10:37 AM
For all that invades pro sports -- ego, posturing, disloyalty, insane tweet wars -- Armando Galarraga and Jim Joyce turned an awful storyline around so gracefully. Galarraga was mad and excited and shocked, and even a bit sad -- not just for himself. About 45 minutes after the game, Joyce called him out of the clubhouse and apologized to the pitcher for soiling his slice of fame, what would have been only the 21st perfect game in major-league history. ... There were few words, just a deep apology, as tears welled in Joyce's eyes. "He feels really bad, probably worse than me," said Galarraga, who began the season in the minors in Toledo. "I give a lot of credit to that guy, to say he's sorry. I gave him a hug. His body English said more than the words. Nobody's perfect, everybody's human."

The Detroit News
Galarraga is a class act.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 10:39 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100603/SPORTS02/100603021/1321/MLB-mulls-whether-to-review-blown-call

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce’s missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland’s Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

...In 1991, a panel headed by then-commissioner Fay Vincent took a look at the record book and decided to throw out 50 no-hitters for various reasons.

nahtnoj
06-03-2010, 10:42 AM
Galarraga is a class act.

He had a Zen-like sense of detachment from the whole thing, didn't he?

No one is talking about the unbelievable catch made by the Tigers CF to get the first out in the 9th. Got lost in the shuffle. The excitement of good pitching is infectious - all the other players rise to the occasion.

ThasFACE
06-03-2010, 10:45 AM
http://www.freep.com/article/20100603/SPORTS02/100603021/1321/MLB-mulls-whether-to-review-blown-call

Commissioner Bud Selig has the power to reverse umpire Jim Joyce’s missed call that came with two outs in the ninth inning Wednesday night in Detroit. Joyce ruled Cleveland’s Jason Donald safe, then admitted he got it wrong.

Selig would likely consult with his top advisers before making such a ruling. St. Louis Cardinals manager Tony La Russa says the call should be overturned.

...In 1991, a panel headed by then-commissioner Fay Vincent took a look at the record book and decided to throw out 50 no-hitters for various reasons.
I stand corrected.

But still, Selig would be reversing based on video evidence, which is basically the same thing as instant-replay even though it's not an in-game decision.

Whatever the rule, hopefully the game and its fans benefit in some way from this mess.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 10:54 AM
He had a Zen-like sense of detachment from the whole thing, didn't he?

No one is talking about the unbelievable catch made by the Tigers CF to get the first out in the 9th. Got lost in the shuffle. The excitement of good pitching is infectious - all the other players rise to the occasion.
Yes, he did. I hope it's not "serenity now, insanity later". :)

You're right about the catch. Just a few lines about it in the local paper. Jackson, the CF, is a rookie and has been fun to watch.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 11:15 AM
I stand corrected.

But still, Selig would be reversing based on video evidence, which is basically the same thing as instant-replay even though it's not an in-game decision.

Whatever the rule, hopefully the game and its fans benefit in some way from this mess.
I had to read it twice. I never knew that the Comish could reverse after the fact.

indyrider
06-03-2010, 12:11 PM
As a side note, jim joyce is an ohio native and the Tigers are a Michigan team. Interpret that however you like.

Go Blue.

As a Buckeye, I can tell you that we hate Mich football, not MSU or any pro teams. I can guarantee you it's not a border war.

With that being said, to your last sentence, Go Blow.

ThasFACE
06-03-2010, 01:38 PM
As a Buckeye, I can tell you that we hate Mich football, not MSU or any pro teams. I can guarantee you it's not a border war.
Really? woody hayes tells it differently:

"No, goddammit! We do NOT pull in and fill up. And I'll tell you exactly why we don't. It's because I don't buy one goddam drop of gas in the state of Michigan! We'll coast and PUSH this goddam car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!"

SamIAm
06-03-2010, 02:06 PM
I stand corrected.

Why not overturn it based on the umpire admitting he blew the call? Or did he admit he blew the call after watching video replay?

ThasFACE
06-03-2010, 02:16 PM
Why not overturn it based on the umpire admitting he blew the call? Or did he admit he blew the call after watching video replay?
After he saw the video: "I just cost that kid a perfect game. I thought he beat the throw. I was convinced he beat the throw, until I saw the replay."

Ozz
06-03-2010, 02:18 PM
give him a "perfect game" in the record books and put an asterisk next to it. :beer:

Louis
06-03-2010, 02:23 PM
So Don Denkinger and Jim Joyce walk into a bar...

ergott
06-03-2010, 02:36 PM
He pitched the "perfect game" that wasn't. He will be remembered for this much more because of the imperfection of the game than he would should they reverse the call.

If you, I and everyone else call it a perfect game, it's a perfect game regardless of the stats.

Louis
06-03-2010, 02:46 PM
The thing is, it's hardly the first time a perfect game has been lost due to an error. It's just that this error was on the ump, not a fielder.

SEABREEZE
06-03-2010, 03:03 PM
He pitched the "perfect game" that wasn't. He will be remembered for this much more because of the imperfection of the game than he would should they reverse the call.

If you, I and everyone else call it a perfect game, it's a perfect game regardless of the stats.

Excellent point and true.

Louis
06-03-2010, 03:04 PM
I hope this does not bring us more widespread use of "instant" replay.

June 3, 2010
Selig's Statement on Call That Cost Perfect Game
By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Filed at 3:23 p.m. ET

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig's statement Thursday on the call that cost Detroit Tigers pitcher Armando Galarraga a perfect game:

First, on behalf of Major League Baseball, I congratulate Armando Galarraga on a remarkable pitching performance. All of us who love the game appreciate the historic nature of his effort last night.

The dignity and class of the entire Detroit Tigers organization under such circumstances were truly admirable and embodied good sportsmanship of the highest order. Armando and Detroit manager Jim Leyland are to be commended for their handling of a very difficult situation. I also applaud the courage of umpire Jim Joyce to address this unfortunate situation honestly and directly. Jim's candor illustrates why he has earned the respect of on-field personnel throughout his accomplished career in the Major Leagues since 1989.

As Jim Joyce said in his postgame comments, there is no dispute that last night's game should have ended differently. While the human element has always been an integral part of baseball, it is vital that mistakes on the field be addressed. Given last night's call and other recent events, I will examine our umpiring system, the expanded use of instant replay and all other related features. Before I announce any decisions, I will consult with all appropriate parties, including our two unions and the Special Committee for On-Field Matters, which consists of field managers, general managers, club owners and presidents.

johnnymossville
06-03-2010, 03:13 PM
This is pretty cool. Galarraga's Consolation Prize?

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/blog/big_league_stew/post/Armando-Galarraga-receives-a-Corvette-consolatio?urn=mlb,245508

sevencyclist
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
There are so many angles to view this issue. Frankly, I don't know where I stand.

100 years ago, a blown call would not have been verifiable since there were no TV cameras. I wonder how history would have differed. In this case, career of athletes/umpires might take a different trajectory.

It is interesting to ponder about how little things can affect history. I think about this everytime a cyclist was caught doping. Wonder how many lives are affected by those actions. (eg. 2nd place finisher never made it big, or a heroic break was chased down by a doping lietenant)

indyrider
06-03-2010, 05:15 PM
Really? woody hayes tells it differently:

"No, goddammit! We do NOT pull in and fill up. And I'll tell you exactly why we don't. It's because I don't buy one goddam drop of gas in the state of Michigan! We'll coast and PUSH this goddam car to the Ohio line before I give this state a nickel of my money!"

Things eased since woody and bo passed away. Im also obligated to like MSU as one of my relatives said no to woody and got his full ride as a spartan....

Climb01742
06-03-2010, 05:22 PM
in many ways, i think Galarraga is the only person who can say what should be done. it was_his_perfect game that was taken away. as an athlete, wouldn't we all want to be able to look back on one day in our athletic careers when we, and the world, knew that we had done something flawlessly? as passionately as we, as fans, might feel about the situation, we've lost nothing. he has. or maybe he feels he hasn't. whatever the outcome, it should be his call, no?

ThasFACE
06-03-2010, 05:42 PM
Things eased since woody and bo passed away.
Fair enough.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 05:47 PM
in many ways, i think Galarraga is the only person who can say what should be done. it was_his_perfect game that was taken away. as an athlete, wouldn't we all want to be able to look back on one day in our athletic careers when we, and the world, knew that we had done something flawlessly? as passionately as we, as fans, might feel about the situation, we've lost nothing. he has. or maybe he feels he hasn't. whatever the outcome, it should be his call, no?
I know I don't have an opinion on if the call should be reversed.

Sadly, Selig made your point, which is well taken, moot.

http://www.freep.com/section/SPORTS

MLB won't overturn umpire's blown call

Ray
06-03-2010, 06:05 PM
After seeing a little bit of coverage on TV, I have to say I feel more sorry for the ump than I do for the pitcher now. The pitcher knows what he did regardless of what the record books say. The ump also knows what HE did. He's, by all accounts a damn good ump who's been at this for a looong time. Probably doesn't blow many, but all of them blow the occasional call. But to blow it THEN - he's obviously torn up about it. When they met at home plate today to deal with the lineup cards, the young pitcher looked relaxed and serene. The ump was a mess, fighting back tears the whole time. He certainly handled it with class, admitting his mistake as soon as he saw it on the replay after the game, and going to talk to the player. But, damn, that's gonna haunt him as long as Bill Buckner's missed groundah.

-Ray

wc1934
06-03-2010, 07:54 PM
I feel badly for both - most umps would have just gone thru the motions and taken the easy route and just call the batter out - even if he was safe, who would have argued - i think it took guts to make that call - he thought the batter was out and thus tried to maintain the integrity of the game by making what he thought at the moment was the correct call -
Both are class acts in my book.

Climb01742
06-03-2010, 08:17 PM
the ump might be the greatest beneficiary of selig awarding a perfect game. he does seem like a true, good, stand-up guy. for once, i hope selig does the right thing.