PDA

View Full Version : Cycling In America After Lance Retires

amg
03-31-2005, 11:37 PM
Hi All,

I got to thinking, with Lance's "big announcement" coming just before the Tour de Georgia, what will the state of cycling, both professional and amateur be after Lance retires? Lance's popularity has done a great deal in raising the awareness of cycling as a sport in America and I think in a way all cyclists have benefited from Lance's achievements in the sport. I recall this past summer when I was riding through the affluent suburb of Millburn NJ, a group of high school kids in their parents Range Rover drove by and shouted "nice bike Lance!" (even though I don't ride a Trek) as they threw empty soda cans at me and all the while I was thinking, "had there been no Lance, they probably would have run me off the road". As I said, we've all benefited from Lance's achievements in one way or another.

But seriously though, what will the state of cycling be in America without Lance? If the media is any indicator, I think we will go back to the stone ages (or at least pre-ergo shifting) as far as awareness as a sport goes once Lance retires. The New York Times sports section began covering the daily GC results of this years Paris-Nice, but once Lance dropped out of the race due to too many back-stage parties with Sheryl, the Times completely stopped covering the race, even though an American won the race for the first time in the race's history! Face it folks, once Lance retires, we're all f&cked!

Antonio :beer:

MRB
03-31-2005, 11:53 PM
Lance is probably the most well-known athlete ever. When he retires, cycling will endure. I have seen the rise (and fall) of Alexi Grewal winning the Olympics RR, then going on to suffer in Europe. And there was the Greg Lemond era, etc.

I hope Lance's remarkable 6 TDF victories rein for a long time, but I'm not selling my bike when he retires. I hope Lance will move to Montana, where I live, and ride anonymously amongst the locals. :)

Just me 50 words worth.

MRB

William
04-01-2005, 06:44 AM
I hope Lance will move to Montana, where I live, and ride anonymously amongst the locals.

I have it on good authority that when he retires, he and Sheryl will be moving to little Rhody to ride with Bradford & I. :p It could happen? :rolleyes: Now, if we could just get her to stop signing her cover "Sweet Child" by Guns & Roses. :crap:

Cycling in America will endure. Just like after Greg L. retired. It will go down in popularity some but there will still be core folks like us that will keep it going. Hey, maybe prices will come down. :rolleyes:

William

BumbleBeeDave
04-01-2005, 08:00 AM
. . . Ramses the Great lived for over 90 years--and ruled for almost that long. He engaged in a spate of expansionism and monument building unknown in Egypt to that time. Since the average life expectancy for most Egyptians at that time was barely 30, by the time he died there was literally no one in the whole empire who had ever known any other Pharoah. He was, to them, literally the only “God” they had ever known, and when he died there was chaos. Egyptians thought it was the actual END OF THE WORLD . . .

When Lance retires there will be an equivalent reaction from many. Lance has done a great deal for cycling in this country. But in a way it will be nice. Because it will give other Americans a chance. And it will make the Tour more of a horse race and entertaining to watch. It will take some of his presence out of the cycling media and make for more interesting, varied reading. And, perhaps most wonderful of all, he will hopefully go ahead and marry Crow-Magnon Woman and she will stop singing that teeth-gnashing duet with Kid Rock on the radio . . . :beer:

BBDave

victoryfactory
04-01-2005, 08:32 AM
It would be interesting if after he retires, Lance continues to support cycling
with appearances, charity events, or maybe a line of bikes/equipment.

He has to know that he almost single handedly has ressurected road cycling here in the USA. And although he certainly doesn't owe us anything,
it would be great if he did some stuff to promote and grow the sport further.

In 1998, you couldn't even buy or see a road bike in most shops, remember?

VF

bulliedawg
04-01-2005, 08:36 AM
I've spoken to people in the industry who are very concerned about Lance's retirement. The bike industry in the US is being driven by Lance and Lance alone, and that's not a good thing. Some have likened it to Michael Jordan's retirement, and the effect that had on the NBA. Basically, the NBA is in the tank as a sports property. Now the NBA has turned its eyes to LeBron. No doubt he will be leaving Cleveland in the next few years for a much larger media market.

There was a time when folks in the golfing industry worried what would happen if Tiger retired, or something terrible befell him. But Tiger raised EVERYONE's performance. Mickelson, and VJ have now become stars in their own right, and there are others, though they're certainly not on Tiger's level.

When Lance retires, interest in cycling in the US will dip drastically. But nobody here started riding because of Lance, it won't matter a bit to us.

Tom
04-01-2005, 08:39 AM
Eliphalet Nott, who can forget? How about Erastus Corning? Will his name ever be far from the lips of our Albany brethren?

Rich_W
04-01-2005, 09:39 AM
I think road cycling is clearly on the rise in the US... fear not. MTB is on the decline. Its one of the top injury-related sports out there. While the road is dangerous... and cars suck... statistics show its still safer.

<sidetrack>

Regardless... we keep hearing of these unfortunate incidents from other forum members... bottom line, you have to be careful, and be extra defensive out there... I've bounced off a few minivans and even had a hard collarbone/3 rib breaker crash last season... but you gots to keep going.

</sidetrack>

The road is clearly becoming more mainstream, especially in the 30-50's set. This is clearly Serotta's market. I think we're not even close to peaking. Ben, you should be shopping for a nice 911 Turbo...

:D

Ti Designs
04-01-2005, 10:23 AM
I got to thinking, with Lance's "big announcement" coming just before the Tour de Georgia, what will the state of cycling, both professional and amateur be after Lance retires?

Lance who??? Everybody keeps talking about this Lance guy as if he's the pope of cycling. Meanwhile, while most people are still sleeping I'm out there on the road coaching new riders and bringing new people into the sport. I might add that Lance has never shown up for one of our rides.

This is a focus problem, it happens both in cycling and about cycling. When my team is out riding someone will push the pace going up a hill and a few people will get dropped. I'll drop back to see three riders all trying to catch up with 50 feet between each of them. The problem is that their eyes are mounted in the front of their heads, and they never think to look behind them. If they did they would regroup and chase together. If american cycling had the smarts to look beyond Lance they would see that there's a whole lotta talent back there.

Face it folks, once Lance retires, we're all f&cked!

I don't know about that, let's just say that Chris Charmichael is...

He has to know that he almost single handedly has ressurected road cycling here in the USA.

No, he has two hands, just one - Oh, never mind...

In 1998, you couldn't even buy or see a road bike in most shops, remember?

Perceptions of the masses, swings in the industry. For the longest time it was just road bikes, and everybody thought drop bars were uncomfortable things that racers used. Then came mountain bikes and everybody said "Wow, big tires, flat bars!". Then came the realization that the full offroad vehical was a bit much (kinda like a Hummer on the street), so along came hybrids. I don't so much blame Lance for the renewed popularity of road bikes, there was this thing called the Boston-New York AIDS ride. 300 miles in three days and a sea of people on hybrids who thought 30 miles was a long ride.

This all leads to the same question - what makes up popularity in cycling? I can't argue that Lance has nothing to do with it. The media covers Lance, but the media isn't about cycling. Look at the focus of the industry and you see a few areas of great concern. There will always be the pro wannabe segment - I've seen the sales numbers of Postal jerseys, hats, socks... But take a closer look and you'll notice that the industry is paying attention to it's failures of just a few years ago. The idea that drop bar road bikes are torture devices is changing. Bike companies now offer road bikes designed with rider comfort in mind. Other companies offer fit schools based on rider comfort in an effort to create an army of fitters who can get people back on road bikes.

There was a time when folks in the golfing industry worried what would happen if Tiger retired, or something terrible befell him. But Tiger raised EVERYONE's performance. Mickelson, and VJ have now become stars in their own right, and there are others, though they're certainly not on Tiger's level.

I'm so glad there are others, I'd hate to think golf was down to three players. People want to see dominance in a sport, it adds certainty, which americans seem to need. In watchind Lance win 5 tours in a row I started losing interest in the yellow jersey. I started taking notice of the newer riders. I started watching older tapes to see the stars before the media figured out who they were. I go on club rides and notice the newer riders who work their hearts out to keep up. That's what the sport is about - rooting for Lance in the tour is like betting that the sun will come up in the morning.

Brons2
07-18-2005, 10:26 PM
Lance who??? Everybody keeps talking about this Lance guy as if he's the pope of cycling.

Awe man, you beat me to posting "Lance Who"? I didn't get a road bike (or into road rides) because of Lance Freaking Armstrong. Rather, it was because all the old fat guys I saw finishing the MS150 and I thought if they could do it I most certainly could do it better and faster.

I might add that Lance has never shown up for one of our rides.

Mine neither.

One other statement: Triathlons seem to be a lot more popular now, and they are a big gateway sport to more cycling involvement. Shall we also attribute the popularity of triathlons to Lance? I think not.

But take a closer look and you'll notice that the industry is paying attention to it's failures of just a few years ago. The idea that drop bar road bikes are torture devices is changing. Bike companies now offer road bikes designed with rider comfort in mind. Other companies offer fit schools based on rider comfort in an effort to create an army of fitters who can get people back on road bikes.

This is important, but alas I think the industry still has a long way to go on this. There's too much emphasis on selling racing-style road bikes and setting them up as a racer would. Every time I see a biker with the seat 15 inches above the top tube and the handlebars low, I wonder just who sold them that bike. Just because you have a light, high tech bike doesn't mean you need to ride it in a horrifically uncomfortable, i.e., racing, position! Additionally, most bikes are geared too high. What in the world does a novice or beginning road rider need a 53/39 with a 12-25 in the back for? Or even a 52/42/30 triple? Get them a compact crank with 46/34 chainrings and a 13-29 casette in the back, that will give them way more usable range without having to master the use of a triple and (ironically) its extra weight.

andy mac
07-18-2005, 10:50 PM
growing up in australia the effect was amazing when greg norman was playing golf well - tones more sales and green fees. same in tennis with pat cash, pat rafter etc. mick doohan and wayne gardner also made japanese sports bikes popular. (hell, look at karaoke sales and american idol.)

winners/high profile people inspire others.

before lance i bet 99.9% of americans couldn't name one road cyclist. sadly i bet in 12 months it'll be the same.

maybe nike should get behind the jerk?

Climb01742
07-19-2005, 04:58 AM
brons2 said..."Additionally, most bikes are geared too high. What in the world does a novice or beginning road rider need a 53/39 with a 12-25 in the back for? Or even a 52/42/30 triple? Get them a compact crank with 46/34 chainrings and a 13-29 casette in the back, that will give them way more usable range without having to master the use of a triple and (ironically) its extra weight."

word.

Kevan
07-19-2005, 06:55 AM
He's retiring, not dieing.

The guy has a thirst for the public limelight, he ain't steppin' off the globe yet. You can bet after a few quiet months with his kids he's going to continue to market his cycling career to the hilt, likely use it as his segway elsewhere. Heck, his name will likely be splashed on downtubes at a lbs near you.

The Babe Ruth's of sport don't come too often, but after they play, they leave an indelible mark.

b3bicycles
07-19-2005, 07:26 AM
Have you people forgot LEIPHEIMER, LANDIS, JULICH and HINCAPIE.What if Mr. HINCAPIE*rode the Pro series like Lance and the other top GC riders and skipped some of the spring races and made the tour his main focus. During the Lemond era we just had Greg and no other americans in the top twenty and now four americans in the top twenty. We have four guys that have a shot next years and they even seem to be nice guys at that.

Moveitfred
07-19-2005, 07:30 AM
American cycling will go into hibernation for one year. Basso, or whoever, will win the tour next year. Then...THE COMEBACK! Imagine the marketing, starting in the early spring. Hints of Lance doing "recon" in the Alps. Interviews with Carmichael and Roll, who don't give away too much. Then, winding up into July, a new pre-race Lance series on OLN. "Great Eight" scratch-off games at your Trek dealer. A new Crow album... Hooooo Doggies, I can smell the excitement!

Ozz
07-19-2005, 08:03 AM
He will host a "Reality TV" show about finding the next tour winner.... ;)

Spinsistah
07-19-2005, 08:59 AM
Armstrong has too much wrapped up in cycling to drop completely out of sight. Doesn't he have part ownership in the Discovery team? We watched a show on FitTV not too long ago and if I remember correctly, Lance is going to be a consultant for the team next year. And there's the LA Foundation - I can't imagine he would quit supporting the foundation.

I started to ride because Metro rides. I figured it was something we could do together. I didn't even know who Lance Armstrong was in the spring of 2003.
I've had a very steep learning curve over the last three years.

67-59
07-22-2005, 10:36 AM
I'm not worried about the sport dying after Lance retires. However, I do have some concern about how accessible it will be on TV. How many of you think OLN will still do several hours of live coverage, plus a 3-hour primetime replay, of every Tour stage next year? I'd like to think it'll continue, but I have my doubts. Compare OLN's recent coverge of the Giro, Vuelta and classics, as compared to the Tour. Only difference: Lance. And do you think the Tour of Georgia would have gotten ANY coverage if Lance wasn't in it. [shudder]

Perhaps the saving grace is that, in this internet age, we'll probably all be able to see it via some subscription. But that may be the only real option....

JohnS
07-22-2005, 10:42 AM
Everyone is worried about what OLN might do. The team sponsor is THE DISCOVERY CHANNEL. Don't you think that they might show a few races if no one else does? They have to get a return on their investment, don't they?

victoryfactory
07-22-2005, 10:48 AM
Whether OLN covers cycling next year depends on if they can
sell any advertising for it. You can just about forget about car companies,
LL Bean, trek etc signing on for non-Lance coverage.

Apparently, they have advertisers lining up for bull riding, wood chopping
and some dumb show that is all about a fishing cop who goes around
with a tape measure busting people for having short trout.

We will be lucky if we get a once a week update show for the grand tours.

VF

Fixed
07-22-2005, 11:22 AM
What is up with O.L.N. if they didn't have cycling there would be nothing worth watching.I wish we had Eurosport on T.V. i.m.h.o. Cheers

amg
07-22-2005, 12:21 PM
Here's a exert from today New York Times:

"I'm preparing for a big drop-off in viewers," said Gavin Harvey, the president of OLN, ... "Obviously we are working against that, and for the last two Tours, we have absolutely been preparing for that day. But Lance is not just an epic athlete. He is an epic human story, and a lot of people have been brought into our audience by that."

Ok, point well taken Mr. Harvey. But what has OLN done in the past few years to ensure that viewers will still be interested in cycling after Lance retires? Focusing only on Lance and his progress through out the season does little to educate/inform the average viewer about the greater world of competitive cycling. If they are there watching because of Lance, that's great, but why not introduce them to other areas of the sport while you have their attention? That to me would seem like a plan to work against a drop-off in viewers once Lance retires.

Antonio :beer:

Dr. Doofus
07-22-2005, 01:24 PM
some dumb show that is all about a fishing cop who goes around
with a tape measure busting people for having short trout.

VF

be wary william

Dekonick
07-22-2005, 02:31 PM
[QUOTE=BumbleBeeDave]. . . Ramses the Great lived for over 90 years--and ruled for almost that long. He engaged in a spate of expansionism and monument building unknown in Egypt to that time. Since the average life expectancy for most Egyptians at that time was barely 30, by the time he died there was literally no one in the whole empire who had ever known any other Pharoah. He was, to them, literally the only “God” they had ever known, and when he died there was chaos. Egyptians thought it was the actual END OF THE WORLD . . .

Ptolemy comes to mind...he literally wiped many king's from history...

He was an odd bird...

as far as cycling is concerned I just hope the USA keeps producing more team leaders and filling the peleton with lots of domestiques!

I think cycling will survive. :banana: :banana:

Tom
07-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Front of the sports section, 4 or 5 columns, nearly the entire top half of the page, color pic of Armstrong with Ullrich right behind him.

It makes me wince slightly at work when the guys who can't climb the stairs as Armstrong climbs the Alps say to me "Hey! Lance has it all wrapped up!" like he's some close personal friend of theirs, but then last night on a couple of occasions I had people driving rusty cars that emit smoke like they just elected a new Pope and Dale Jr. stickers all over the back window wave and smile as I rode up Rynex Corners Road and a car full of kids slowed down to give me the lane as they passed instead of buzzing me like they might just a month ago and that with me wearing the polka-dot jersey I got from Karen last year so maybe it isn't so bad.

george
09-29-2005, 02:53 AM
OLN = Only Lance Network. Lance will start his own cable station that will broadcast live races and race highlights from the wonder years :D