PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor vs Indoor Heart Rate Zones

rpm
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
This winter I had my heart rate zones established in an indoor training class on a spin bike. Now that I'm training outdoors, my heart rates seem lower for the same perceived exertion (e.g., after a 1 min sprint, and I'm panting and breathing really hard). Are outdoor rates typically lower than indoor ones?

Pete Serotta
06-01-2010, 05:14 PM
The temperature might have somewhat of an effect but it is usually amount of effort expended - ie the amount of work.

I sweat more inside and the humidity affects me and my hear rate.

(I am far from an expert or a wealth of knowledge on this subject though.)

Jack Brunk or some of the others experts will be able to provide more info from personal knowledge and experience.

dogdriver
06-01-2010, 05:28 PM
This winter I had my heart rate zones established in an indoor training class on a spin bike. Now that I'm training outdoors, my heart rates seem lower for the same perceived exertion (e.g., after a 1 min sprint, and I'm panting and breathing really hard). Are outdoor rates typically lower than indoor ones?

Huh. I'm just the opposite-- higher heart rates outside for the same perceived exertion. Figured that listening to the birds sing distracted me from how close I was to vomiting... Seriously, I think that Joe Friel has written that indoor HR training zones are typically set a bit lower than for the same zone outdoors. Maybe your motivation has to do with the lycra-clad lass on the spin bike in front of you...

merckx
06-02-2010, 07:33 AM
When training in a hot enviroment like indoors, you can experience cardiac drift. The result is a higher heartrate at established perceived exertion levels.

happycampyer
06-02-2010, 08:43 AM
It's a function of temperature, humidity and air circulation. Generally, the big problem with riding indoors is the lack of air circulation—a really big fan or more than one fan helps. As mercx said, in a hot environment (which could be indoors or out, especially if it's humid) your body works harder to cool itself, which contributes to cardiac drift.

During the week, I do some of my early morning wokouts on a Computrainer, and can observe these effects very readily on fixed-wattage intervals.

soulspinner
06-03-2010, 06:05 AM
Theres not enuff air rushing over you to keep core temp down inside.

Velosmith
06-03-2010, 06:14 PM
The key is perception. I'm the opposite too.

When I push hard on the trainer I perceive more effort because there is less other distracting stimuli.

Outside, I'm more likely to push harder and perceive less effort because I'm chasing my training partners and I'm not about to let them drop me..... Oh well the do any way. :) I'm focused on other things outside rather than my own bodies' reaction to the effort.