PDA

View Full Version : Falcon Merckx

kaze
05-31-2010, 08:33 PM
So a friend of mine stopped by today and dropped off the pictured Molteni Eddy Merckx 57cm frame as a gift (I put some spare wheels on it for the photos, the rear wheel is not in the dropouts as they're 120mm spacing). One of my bikes is a 7-11 Merckx (which I purchased new in 1990). He thought that this would be a good companion and that I should build it into a single speed. The only problem is that it's too big for me :crap: I know that there are differing opinions on the Falcon frames. This frame is the Giro d'Italia model #104, made of Reynolds 531.

Some info...
http://www.sheldonbrown.com/falcon.html

An original ad from 1974...
http://www.bikebrothers.co.uk/falconeddy.htm

He pulled most of the components off but still has them (mostly junk). It would make a great single speed due to the lack of braze-on's, but does anyone know if it would be of value to a collector ? I'm not sure if I should try to convience him to sell it (he has two kids in college and any $$$ helps) -OR- just keep it, clean it up, and hang it on the wall. Also, does anyone know the purpose of the strange fork braze-on in the 3rd-4th photos (only on one fork blade) :confused:

rwsaunders
05-31-2010, 08:53 PM
Lamp or generator mount?

rustychisel
06-01-2010, 01:46 AM
Lamp or generator mount?

both, the old generator driven front lamp, in which the generator mounted behind the fork and were driven from the front wheel rim.

["it's the gen-er-ra-tor... ! ! !" thanks to Bad Religion].

torquer
06-01-2010, 02:59 PM
And what is that pin/stud projecting from the underside of the downtube (best view is in bottom picture, behind the fork crown)?

Bit of thread drift, but the Sheldon Brown article implies that these Falcon Merckxs (built for UK and American consumption) are the equivalent of the Kessels (built for European distribution). The impression I got from a discussion of the relative merits of the two builders, which took place across the hall, I recall (site blocked, so I can't verify right now), was that the Belgian frames were clearly superior, and hence much more "collectible." Don't know if I've ever actually seen a Kessel in the flesh (discussion was inspired by an eBay auction of a pricey one, concensus was it was worth it), but the Falcons were the NYC bike messenger weapon of choice in the late 70s/early 80s when I first started to notice such things, and they were generally in sorry shape even then.

rwsaunders
06-01-2010, 03:20 PM
And what is that pin/stud projecting from the underside of the downtube (best view is in bottom picture, behind the fork crown)?

Something to do with a bottle cage clamp?

fiamme red
06-01-2010, 03:26 PM
And what is that pin/stud projecting from the underside of the downtube (best view is in bottom picture, behind the fork crown)?My guess: to keep the clamp-on shifter band from slipping.

kaze
06-01-2010, 09:19 PM
My guess: to keep the clamp-on shifter band from slipping.

Yes, the pin was for clamp-on shifters. The frame is practically devoid of braze-ons, most of the original components were clamp-on. I wouldn't compare the frame to my Merckx Corsa, but the Falcon is a cool cycling artifact nonetheless and I'd definitely build up a singlespeed if I was taller (or it was shorter). One other unique thing about the frame is that the seatstays wrap up and around the top/front of the seat lug.

rcnute
06-01-2010, 09:40 PM
That looks like you could fit bigger tires and fenders. Pretty neat bike, I think.