PDA

View Full Version : Campy 11 Front Shifting Issue - any ideas?

blschaefer1
05-31-2010, 01:44 PM
I am having a nagging front shifting issue and looking for input.

Setup - Campy Super Record 11

Scenario - Chain shifted to large ring, all the way to the upper stop. Hands on hoods. Whenever I get out of the saddle for a short climb or sprint, the lever ratchets down one click. Just one small click. In the saddle, this never happens.

I played with cable tension, made sure the Ergo lever is good and tight on the bar, etc. I think there is some phenomenon where the Ergo body is flexing ever so slightly?

Not a big issue in the grand scheme of things, but it is nagging nonetheless.

Any ideas?

fourflys
05-31-2010, 02:16 PM
do you think your bottom bracket is flexing a little bit when you stand and pushing/pulling the derailure? I wonder if you tweek the limit screws just a bit, if it would help...

Ralph
05-31-2010, 05:27 PM
Give it some more cable.

oldpotatoe
06-01-2010, 07:41 AM

Scenario - Chain shifted to large ring, all the way to the upper stop. Hands on hoods. Whenever I get out of the saddle for a short climb or sprint, the lever ratchets down one click. Just one small click. In the saddle, this never happens.

I played with cable tension, made sure the Ergo lever is good and tight on the bar, etc. I think there is some phenomenon where the Ergo body is flexing ever so slightly?

Any ideas?

Use a 10s FD....wider cage, more room...works just fine with '11s' LH shifter.

mandasol
06-01-2010, 11:04 AM
Maybe this thread can help:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=171968

After reading that thread and setting up with those tips my 11 spd front shifting has been perfect - I even got rid of the Deda dog fang.

Waldo
06-01-2010, 03:59 PM

Any ideas?

No, but I have exactly the same issue with Record 11 shifters.

mosca
06-01-2010, 05:08 PM
Give it some more cable.
I think this is it - try backing off the outer limit screw slightly. Worked for me.

Peter P.
06-01-2010, 05:18 PM
Check for a cracked frame flexing excessively and thus tugging at the cable.

It's a long shot, but easy to do.

blschaefer1
06-01-2010, 05:56 PM
Maybe this thread can help:
http://forums.roadbikereview.com/showthread.php?t=171968

After reading that thread and setting up with those tips my 11 spd front shifting has been perfect - I even got rid of the Deda dog fang.

Thanks much - this is very helpful. I am going to look things over based on this info. A cursory glance suggests mine is set up correctly, and I have tried messing with the limit screw, but we'll see.

At least I'm not alone...thought I was going nuts.

Ralph
06-01-2010, 07:55 PM
When I said give it some more cable, I meant just take a tad of tension off the cablle. Just a very small amount, so it can make the click, and hold it. Not enough to make the cable slack.

mandasol
06-02-2010, 11:44 AM
Thanks much - this is very helpful. I am going to look things over based on this info. A cursory glance suggests mine is set up correctly, and I have tried messing with the limit screw, but we'll see.

If you go through the whole thread it seems quite a few people are having the same problem. I used to have the same problem, and began agreeing with some other posters in thinking it was a design/manufacturing flaw. Eventually I finally got it, and now it shifts perfect with the recommended 4 solid clicks in both directions, so I'm pretty confident it's a set up issue and not a problem with the shifter/derailleur. I've since removed the group and reinstalled a few times and each time the front set's up in a snap and shifting is great.

Ralph
06-02-2010, 12:25 PM

It's a set up issue. You have too much tension on the FD cable. You'll get it figured out. The rest of us had to learn also.

blschaefer1
06-02-2010, 03:26 PM
Yes sir. I basically set the FD up again from scratch, re-setting upper and lower limits and dialing in just enough cable tension while in the lower position to get the cage to move crisply.

Went out a mid-day ride today and hammered it pretty good - no movement, stilll four clean clicks.

I restrospect, I think what was happening is that while out of the saddle, there was just enough BB flex to cause the cable tension to incrementally increase slightly, and after five or ten pedal strokes the ratchet gave way.

While at it I also increased the toe-out position of the cage by 1mm or so from parallel, which seemed to help move the chain more cleanly.

Lesson learned.