PDA

View Full Version : Selcof carbon post

LegendRider
03-31-2005, 06:18 PM
The picture below is of a 31.0mm Selcof carbon post. You may be able to see a vertical gouge in the carbon - it's slightly deeper than a scratch in the clearcoat. Obviously I'm not using the post; however, is there I way to repair it? These posts are both hard to find and expensive.

columbusslx
03-31-2005, 07:28 PM
Possible, yes. Cheap, no. Hard to repair and have it look 100% as good as new because the outer layer is (likely) one continous piece of cloth. You might also have issues because you need to maintain the OD (31.0) It is also hard to find someone to do the repair because of liability issues. Carbon is easier to repair than most people think but by the time you re-spray and decal a part it is usually not that cost effective. What frame is this for??

LegendRider
03-31-2005, 07:29 PM
It's for a Pegoretti Fina Estampa. I'm currently using a 27.2mm Dura Ace post with a USE shim.

Also, the OD at the gouge is discernably less than 31.0mm. I presume clear nail polish is not sufficient...

Bittersweet
03-31-2005, 07:55 PM
Carbon fiber is laid up with either epoxy or polyester resin depending on its application. Most likely epoxy for a number of reasons. Carbon fiber is just like any other fiberglass cloth as you would use for boats etc. Importantly the resin does not create strength the cloth does. The goal in fact is to reduce the resin as much as possible hence vacuum baggin etc used in boat building.

The question is whether the structural integrity has really been comprimised. If not you can buy some epoxy resin, mix it and fill in the gouge. You can also build up the area to any thickness and then sand it down. Carbon fiber really isn't that exotic. Talk to any boat builder, sailboard, or surf board manufacturer and they have been using it for years. I built my first sailboard with the stuff in the late 80's.

Mast technology in carbon is somewhat similar to a carbon post like this. We used to pound a mast to death in the waves. Sometimes the break was catastrophic but mostly it was a slow disintegration. You be the judge of what risk you are willing to take.

Dave
03-31-2005, 09:10 PM
If the damage is as shallow as you say, then a few coats of clear nail polish will make it look better. At most, careful sanding with 400 grit sandpaper, clean with acetone, then apply some epoxy glue, followed by a final sanding to match the post OD, then a bit of polish to finish up. Not a big deal.

Too Tall
03-31-2005, 09:17 PM
I'm with Dave on this one if it did not even hit carbon. Infact I've got two part west system resin here at home and if you want to send it to me and pay postage both ways I'll fix it up and you can sand it smooth.....such a deal eh?

LegendRider
03-31-2005, 09:20 PM
Let me rephrase my description of the gouge - it's more than a surface scratch. It appears to have damaged the top layer of the "fabric."

mdeeds71
04-01-2005, 12:06 AM
This can be a very bad situation...If the carbon/aramid fabric has been penetrated it is possible moisture has gotten into the fabric as well...Although this would not be discernable at the begining...after a while it will eventually delaminate the area around...Carbon/Aramid fabrics love moisture, any kind to include a lube that may have been on the frame or moisture in general form rain or dew...It actually gets into the fiber itself like a straw...

Bittersweet
04-01-2005, 02:43 AM
Sand to roughen up surface, ensure no oil residue, mix epoxy resin, paint on in layers, let dry, check diameter with calipers, sand until smooth re-checking diameter.

Sand with water moving finally to 1200 grit level and it will look almost shiny like an Easton EC70 post for instance (matte).

The shiny surface as opposed to matte finish on carbon is just one more layer of resin finely sanded and then buffed out like you would a to get a car finish glossy. Watch "Pimp my Ride" for further illustration.

Hard saying, not knowing, if integrity of post is compromised. Depends if you are a fix it and see if it works mentality or throw away the risk isn't worth it mentality. I'm cheap and don't ride with a mirror so I'd try to fix it.

zap
04-01-2005, 10:17 AM
Top layer of carbon is most likely decorative. But, like many materials, if there's a crack, it can propagate and will be quite difficult to stop.

Still, I would give finger nail polish a shot, sand to maintain OD, try it out and inspect after the first ride. See if you can get the nail polish to "soak" or creep into the crack. If using epoxy, make sure it has low viscosity so that it too can creep.

Note: At your own risk :rolleyes:

By the way, how did it happen?

Spicoli
04-01-2005, 01:07 PM
The picture below is of a 31.0mm Selcof carbon post. You may be able to see a vertical gouge in the carbon - it's slightly deeper than a scratch in the clearcoat. Obviously I'm not using the post; however, is there I way to repair it? These posts are both hard to find and expensive.
Just as a background I have been manufacturing and repairing surfboards since I was 14/15 yrs. old and I am a bit older than that now, so I am pretty familiar with layups of composite materials. So here we go. Dont bother trying to saturate it with any type of resin, epoxy or otherwise. I believe someone already advised you (and correctly) that the resins have no strength and are actually quite brittel. Its the fibers, carbon or fiberglass that are the stuctural part and painting on epoxy is just going to frustrate you and make a mess. Too properly repair a crack like that you would have to go so wide with the repair it would be the same as making a new post and you would probably just weeken it in another part of the post if you start digging into it. Also your crack appears to be running north/south so unless your worried the post is going to split like a hotdog roll I would not loose too much sleep over it. This is just what I would do for whatever thats worth.

1) Dont touch it. to fix it correctly the repair must be bigger than the damage itself, you would never get it back to the diameter you need w/out sanding away your entire repair.
2) The damage is linear so the fibers you need are OK for the most part.
3) every carbon post I have ever had and currently own have the same type of damage where the clamp is and none have failed yet.
4) Had the head of a post break off in a cross race and it was not that big of a deal I survived with a scratch.(also that post had a huge crack and the head broke before the post -USE seatposts suck)
5) IMO ride it, if all heck broke loose it is a post not a bar or stem.
6) fill it and paint on a new finish, but sometimes that can make it even more noticable.
7) Get a Campy alloy or Dura Ace post because some parts should not be carbon. But I would keep using it till it dies.
8) If you do dig in there you are more than likely just going to break more fibers and make it worse and resaturating broken fibers is a waste. :D