PDA

View Full Version : Skype and iphone

93legendti
05-29-2010, 07:58 AM
Is anyone using Skype on their iphone?
If so, can u please let me know how it works?
I'm going to Israel for 1 month and trying to decide if I need an Israeli cell phone or if I can use my iphone with Skype and Spikko.
Thanks.

SoCalSteve
05-29-2010, 09:27 AM
Download the app, set it up and as long as you have WiFi, it works like it would from your computer...the key is that it needs to see WiFi for it to work...

Set it up and give it a whirl. Doesn't matter where you are, it will act and work the same.

Good luck and have a safe trip!

Steve

dimsy
05-29-2010, 11:45 AM
I use skype on my ipod touch and it effectively turns the thing into a phone as long as there's a wifi connection. works great and as far as i know you can set yourself up w/ a local number (or two?) so incoming long distance charges are circumvented.

false_Aest
05-29-2010, 12:10 PM
When I was traveling to/from Iraq there were a few times where I desperately needed to make a call. Calling Baghdad from security in the Dubai Airport (US # to US #) wasn't an option.

Wi-Fi and Skype worked perfectly.

Anyplace we had wi-fi my biz partner could call his wife back home. Pretty rad' IMHO.

CaptStash
05-29-2010, 12:12 PM
Works great. I use it for tavelling all around Central and South America. The only problem, as noted above, is that it only works where you have Wi-Fi. If you need true cell phone coverage as well get yourself a cheap pay as you go.

My kid's girlfriend's dad is Israeli. If you want I can ask him the best way to go. He's a tech nut and an iPhone junkie.

CaptStash....

93legendti
05-29-2010, 01:04 PM
Works great. I use it for tavelling all around Central and South America. The only problem, as noted above, is that it only works where you have Wi-Fi. If you need true cell phone coverage as well get yourself a cheap pay as you go.

My kid's girlfriend's dad is Israeli. If you want I can ask him the best way to go. He's a tech nut and an iPhone junkie.

CaptStash....
I'd be curious to hear what he says. I have an Israeli number thru spikko.com - that lets me get free calls on my iPhone. The only issue is me making calls at less than AT&T's international rate.

93legendti
05-29-2010, 05:20 PM
Thanks guys.

dogdriver
05-29-2010, 06:28 PM
Works great, lasts a long time. As the previous poster said, works only with a wifi connection, won't work on G3.

Best, Chris

93legendti
05-29-2010, 06:44 PM
Works great, lasts a long time. As the previous poster said, works only with a wifi connection, won't work on G3.

Best, Chris
Thanks, what do you mean "lasts a long time"?

93legendti
06-02-2010, 08:08 AM
Looking at the fring and truphone apps....

dogdriver
06-02-2010, 09:00 AM
Thanks, what do you mean "lasts a long time"?

Sorry-- "works great, lasts a long time" is a quip from my deep dark past -- something a mechanic would tell a pilot to advocate for the durability and reliability of a system that said pilot had indicated doubt in. Jeez, that's a lot of words for this early...

Skype works wonderfully with iphone and itouch.

93legendti
06-02-2010, 09:07 AM
Sorry-- "works great, lasts a long time" is a quip from my deep dark past -- something a mechanic would tell a pilot to advocate for the durability and reliability of a system that said pilot had indicated doubt in. Jeez, that's a lot of words for this early...

Skype works wonderfully with iphone and itouch.
Thanks.

93legendti
06-03-2010, 11:50 AM
My tech expert in Israel sent me this email:
Well I think you can use it where you have wifi for free. This is how I'm calling to Israel using my iPod.
I got an app it's call Fring.

I downloaded fring and it synchs with skype...