PDA

View Full Version : I quit my job

azrider
05-28-2010, 12:36 PM
I’m at my desk and both my phones are ringing, both computer monitors are flashing with instant messages and incoming orders, my co-workers are running around with their heads cut off (it’s end of month and in my line of work that equals hell), the guy next to me is screaming across the room with a phone receiver on each ear, and I think one of our assistants is crying in the corner [again]. Me? I’m sitting here sipping on a coffee and filling out my exit interview form while toggling back n’ forth between cyclingnews and trainingpeaks.

Life is too short to be F’n miserable. I finally said enough was enough and gave my notice. Suprisingly, they asked me to work out the final two weeks (and more if I could) and my last day has finally come and I’m giddy. I’ve got no mortgage, no car payments, no wife/kids, no CC debt and enough cash to live same lifestyle for next 20 months (if I need to).

So I ask………………….what would you do? I’m 33 with 10 years of Supply Chain experience and am contemplating Grad School or Law School. With one(MBA) I can parlay my work history and with the other (JD) I am back to square one and essentially starting over.

false_Aest
05-28-2010, 12:39 PM
I have no idea . . .

CONGRATZ!

azrider
05-28-2010, 12:43 PM
Thanks dude. Most people are from one of two camps and have either said "Awesome, congrats man" or "holy shyte what are you going to do now?"

I'm digging the congrats people much more

bkboom123
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
start an internship as a welder at serotta?

vqdriver
05-28-2010, 12:44 PM
sounds like you're the ideal candidate for a restart. good on ya for having the balls to do so.

azrider
05-28-2010, 12:47 PM
start an internship as a welder at serotta?

Hmmmmm........not too good with that sort of thing

The mechanics at the shop, riding buddies, racing teammates all sat me down and told me i'm not allowed to approach my bike with anything resembling a tool

MattTuck
05-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Congratulations! I'd say, get out and ride!

I have an MBA from (and currently work at) Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Before that, I actually applied and got into some law schools, but then thought better of that decision.

Send me a PM and we can chat sometime on the phone about the merits of an MBA.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd think about becoming a massage therapist. I know, weird right? I think it would be an interesting job, meet new people all the time, really help people and also you could develop a cycling specific practice. I don't know... I think about it sometimes.

Seriously, PM me.

AngryScientist
05-28-2010, 01:01 PM
you know what they say, think of what you enjoy doing most, and what you would do if you didnt NEED to make money, and then find a way to make money doing that.

i know if i had it my way, i would own a custom surf shop located directly on the beach. i would hire a few employees i trusted deeply to run the place and be on my bicycle every day or in the ocean promoting my boardshop.

congratulations, you are, in my opinion, a modern day hero.

oldguy00
05-28-2010, 01:04 PM
I vote restart.
Either pick the place where you would dream of living and move there, then find a job....or pick a career that you'd love to do, and go back to school for it.
You're lucky!

rphetteplace
05-28-2010, 01:05 PM
az rider that is awesome. I'm close to doing this myself.

JMerring
05-28-2010, 01:08 PM
i'm in the congrats camp. law school sucks and being a lawyer sucks even more. pm me if you want details. with your commitments (or absence thereof), i say pick something you love or that will enable you to earn boatloads of $$. law won't satisfy either of those.

azrider
05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
az rider that is awesome. I'm close to doing this myself.

THIS!!!

I don't have enough fingers toes to count how many people have starred off into the distance after telling them my plans and said "man if i didn't have wife,kids, debt, mortgage, obligations, etc".....................I will never have this time, this freedom again in my lifetime so if i want a change them it's up to me to make it happen.

I don't know you and i don't know your situation but all i can say is do it!! I'm friggin drunk with hope and optimism for first time in long time and can't wait to see what tomorrow brings.

I think more people than we realize want to do this sort of thing but won't out of fear................F fear.....

cmg
05-28-2010, 01:13 PM
congrats on walking away. sounds like the gig will there in 20 months if funding needs to be replenished. get a job where you meet lots of chicks........

jischr
05-28-2010, 01:13 PM
If you’re possessions are limited, I’d move around a bit. Spend six months working as a supply chain temp in San Diego, the Carolinas, Wyoming, maybe a stint in the UK or other country I could speak the language in. Ride as much as possible in those locations and decide where I’d like to live and then decide how I could support myself.

In 1990 it took me 364 days to find a comparably paying job after getting downsized. In 60 days I’ll be out do to site closure. I’ll be lucky to find a comparable job paying 70-80% of what I’m making now (yes I have been overpaid for years – that’s why I stayed). I have wife, kids in college, house and car payments, and the surviving parent in a nursing home. Do something now that you can look back on in 15-20 years and say ‘damn, I’m glad I did that’.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2010, 01:18 PM
Thanks dude. Most people are from one of two camps and have either said "Awesome, congrats man" or "holy shyte what are you going to do now?"

I'm digging the congrats people much more

Awesome, dude! Congrats! What are you gonna do now?

Good luck with whatever you decide. Life is WAY too short to be miserable at your job.

Both Camps Steve

azrider
05-28-2010, 01:24 PM
Great stuff there jischr, great stuff. Two weeks ago when i put my notice in my instincts kind of kicked in and some voice told me to "hurry the F up and get a new job now"

With that said i went straight to Forbes top 20 places to work and just started firing off resumes. One company (Cisco) had an opportunity available in Amsterdam, Netherlands. I think it was after that particular application that I realized the possibilities for me were endless......actually i think it went something like "holy shyte i 'could' be working in Netherlands"

I got some childhood, lifelong buddies over in LA so i applied to some jobs over there too......

Life is good right now......

Climb01742
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
my two cents: don't be bound by what/who you_were_as you try to figure out who/what you want to_become. don't ask yourself, "what do i know?" ask yourself, "what do i love?"

ok, three cents: give it time. live and let the answer come out of living. answers have a way of coming when they're ready, on their schedule, not yours.

best of luck.

buck-50
05-28-2010, 01:30 PM
Be careful- 20 months at your current level can quickly turn into 10 months and you're screwed...

Watch your money closer than you ever have before.

Set limits and deadlines, as in, "I need to start interviewing again in 12 months."

Otherwise, have a blast. Love my job, house, wife and daughter and I'm still kinda jealous.

rwsaunders
05-28-2010, 01:35 PM
Marine Corps, son.

SEABREEZE
05-28-2010, 01:42 PM
I have a son that just that recently did what you plan to do,he was a operations manger of a data center.With a very attractice salary.This all went on while still in college.

Now he will be starting his masters degree program, and has no regrets on his decesions.

Goodluck with your decesions,Trust in yourself,you know what makes you happy...

azrider
05-28-2010, 01:43 PM
my two cents: don't be bound by what/who you_were_as you try to figure out who/what you want to_become. don't ask yourself, "what do i know?" ask yourself, "what do i love?"

ok, three cents: give it time. live and let the answer come out of living. answers have a way of coming when they're ready, on their schedule, not yours.

best of luck.

thanks Climb....great advice, especially the "give it time." I don't want to panic and jump back into same industry if something doens't come up in 4 or 5 months.

BUCK-50 - absolutely correct sir. I've been preparring for this for a long time and am well aware my days of going out to dinner, Starbucks, new wheelsets,etc are over. I live a very modest existance as it is and will have no problems reducing my current monthly expenditure by 50% if i need to. Plus the 20 month(s) was on low end and excluded 401K, stock, and other investments i can dip into if need be....but it won't get to that point....

climbgdh
05-28-2010, 01:44 PM
I'm 110% in the CONGRATS camp!! Way for eff'n go!! :beer: You'll never regret doing this.

I did the same thing 16 years ago when I was 29. Bailed out of an engineering job I liked alot but for a company where I was going down a dead end street. Bought a beat up old Dodge van & made it my home for 15 months. Rock climbing, mtn biking, hiking, skiing & just seeing North America at a very SLOW pace is what occupied me for that time. Finished off the 15 months with a 6 week ride across Canada. It was awesome. Took me 3 weeks to find a good job when I decided to go back to work.

Funny enough I'm am also almost back in the same position again. Ready to bail out and "Reset"......

Good on ya azrider.....

moran
05-28-2010, 01:54 PM
I say congrats as well! Take some time, no need to decide right away what you want to do next.

Enjoy your newfound freedom and good luck wherever the future takes you!

Kirk007
05-28-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm with Climb. And you seem to have already learned that possessions and true wealth are very different things. With your lack of obligations you are really in a position to follow your heart and passions rather than having to pursue a job just for the income. Life is short, and uncertain.

With that in mind, follow your gut, try some things. You've got nothing to lose. Law School and MBA? Well, if you love the law or business great (although law degree can lead many other paths and it teaches you a way of thinking/analysis etc. that is hard to get elsewhere). That said many lawyers and business folks who took that path because they didn't take time to figure out what they really wanted are f'n miserable (22 years in the law business has exposed me to a lot of these folks).

StellaBlue
05-28-2010, 01:57 PM
I’ve got no mortgage, no car payments, no wife/kids, no CC debt and enough cash to live same lifestyle for next 20 months (if I need to).

Sounds like you're living the dream.. :rolleyes:

azrider
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
I'm 110% in the CONGRATS camp!! Way for eff'n go!! :beer: You'll never regret doing this.

I did the same thing 16 years ago when I was 29. Bailed out of an engineering job I liked alot but for a company where I was going down a dead end street. Bought a beat up old Dodge van & made it my home for 15 months. Rock climbing, mtn biking, hiking, skiing & just seeing North America at a very SLOW pace is what occupied me for that time. Finished off the 15 months with a 6 week ride across Canada. It was awesome. Took me 3 weeks to find a good job when I decided to go back to work.

Funny enough I'm am also almost back in the same position again. Ready to bail out and "Reset"......

Good on ya azrider.....

Thanks dude, and goodl luck to you too! Hey you still in Vancouver? My girlfriend is going up there on business in couple of weeks and is trying to get me to tag along...........i think i just might bring the bike and tool around town while she's workin (sucker)....HA

buck-50
05-28-2010, 01:58 PM
thanks Climb....great advice, especially the "give it time." I don't want to panic and jump back into same industry if something doens't come up in 4 or 5 months.

BUCK-50 - absolutely correct sir. I've been preparring for this for a long time and am well aware my days of going out to dinner, Starbucks, new wheelsets,etc are over. I live a very modest existance as it is and will have no problems reducing my current monthly expenditure by 50% if i need to. Plus the 20 month(s) was on low end and excluded 401K, stock, and other investments i can dip into if need be....but it won't get to that point....
Oh and don't ever dip into your 401k. A decision you will come to regret. Ask me how I know. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Seriously, good luck. Have fun, travel, check out Europe- I've heard some good bikes come from there, and there's a race or two to check out...

srice
05-28-2010, 02:01 PM
Congrats. Pick where you want to be, not what you want to do. I was given the advice 15 years ago of "Go to work for an area, not a company." It didn't mean much then, but boy do I get it now.

azrider
05-28-2010, 02:16 PM
Oh and don't ever dip into your 401k. A decision you will come to regret. Ask me how I know. :crap: :crap: :crap:

Seriously, good luck. Have fun, travel, check out Europe- I've heard some good bikes come from there, and there's a race or two to check out...

OH yes...the penalties for dipping into 401K are ridiculous...sorry to hear

Yeah i didn't think it needed to be said in OP but i've been working in the same industry for past 10 years, 9 of which were with company that elimnated my position March of last year. I booked an open ended ticket to Europe and dissappeared for a month. I got a buddy living in Antwerp and he let me crash on his couch. I got to see Flanders, Scheldeprijs, Roubaix, Gent-Wev......it was mind blowing. While i was there word got out i got let go and was back "on the market." I was ordering a beer in Amsterdam when i got the call from my now manager. It all worked too perfectly.........unfortunatley, the new gig turned out to be exactly same thing i was doing at the old place and my heart just isn't in it anymore. Had i not panicked and taken this job i probably would've gotten all this figured out a year ago......

velobran
05-28-2010, 02:22 PM
It can be scary. I pulled something similar with a 2 month old baby. Had enough with a horrible software company and quit. They told me to leave that moment. I got by on consulting work for about 6 months and eventually got a great deal at a former employer working from home. :)

A positive and patient attitude works wonders.

Derailer
05-28-2010, 02:25 PM
Spend enough of your free time preparing for the GMAT that you get a full ride to a top flight JD/MBA program. Then *really* enjoy your time off.

PaMtbRider
05-28-2010, 02:26 PM
Congrats, It sounds like you have already paid your dues and are deserving of a vacation. Take a few months to enjoy life, travel, hang out with a girlfriend, whatever makes you happy. Will being a lawyer / attorney be fulfilling and ultimately make you happy beyond what material possessions and status it will let you acquire? Take the time off to find out what you truly enjoy spending your time doing. Also be honest with yourself in what you consider your future income requirements are to be comfortable. If you won't feel satisfied with less than a six figure income don't bother pursuing the career paths that won't lead to that. Enjoy your time figuring it all out, you are in an envious position.

BengeBoy
05-28-2010, 02:39 PM
So I ask………………….what would you do? I’m 33 with 10 years of Supply Chain experience

http://www.amazon.com/Search-Jobs-Careers/b/ref=amb_link_6001432_2?ie=UTF8&node=239362011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02R5E5XZFRT7PGV5G0GC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=434481001&pf_rd_i=203348011

Search for:

- Supply Chain
- Supply Chain planning
- Buying/Planning
- Procurement

Pete Serotta
05-28-2010, 02:53 PM
You have managed your life financially and it has allowed you to move on. Give Matt a talk. The school he is at is one of the top ranked nationally in the US. You do want to go to one of the top schools no matter what you do. If it is law and depending if you live on the west coast(LA) or NJ area I have some good friends that will be glad to have a brew and discuss things.

In the early 70s (yeah a long time ago) I was in the same place. The economy was bad and with inflation BUT the job I had was worse than crap and I was not good at it either. Made the decision and moved on....it made the difference in my life. Additionally this life style has enabled my wife, children, and I to have a much healthier/happy life.

I am far from an expert of the future BUT your skills now and going forward are all that you can count on (unless your parents are multi billionaires or you hit the mega lottery)

The formula has worked for me,,,,I went for the MBA, although law was a consideration. Once you look at everything the $$s will also need to be managed BUT you sound like you have a good sense of balance and will do fine.

Feel free to also contact me at any time. pete@mac.com. I live in RALEIGH and do have a few bottles of wine we can contemplate as we talk. Additionally there are a lot of fine talented folks on the forum that will be more than willing to share their views in a one on one with you - - just as Matt has done PETE

Congratulations! I'd say, get out and ride!

I have an MBA from (and currently work at) Tuck School of Business at Dartmouth. Before that, I actually applied and got into some law schools, but then thought better of that decision.

Send me a PM and we can chat sometime on the phone about the merits of an MBA.

If I were to do it all over again, I'd think about becoming a massage therapist. I know, weird right? I think it would be an interesting job, meet new people all the time, really help people and also you could develop a cycling specific practice. I don't know... I think about it sometimes.

Seriously, PM me.

azrider
05-28-2010, 03:00 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Search-Jobs-Careers/b/ref=amb_link_6001432_2?ie=UTF8&node=239362011&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=02R5E5XZFRT7PGV5G0GC&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=434481001&pf_rd_i=203348011

Search for:

- Supply Chain
- Supply Chain planning
- Buying/Planning
- Procurement

How do you like it there?

eddief
05-28-2010, 03:17 PM
you sound super energetic, but not very reflective. I had to get to be 40 to do some of that. Last time I checked, you only get to live once. Why not design it to match what is important to you? Why not think about those things?

where would you like to live?
what are your skills?
which of those would you like to use?
how much $
how many hours?
what size companys?
what industry?
work for your self?
suit and tie?
commute?

how about a career in petroleum drilling safety?
oh screw it. screw around for while. have a good time.

wipe on wipe off grasshopper.

drewski
05-28-2010, 03:27 PM
my ideas

1. Look into supply chain work for trek, shimano, or campy.

2. Move to Italy and or france and some euro trekking---and come back to the states and lead a paid tour of Serotta forum folks. I will be your first customer. Learn a little french and a italian while you are out there.

3. Some hybrid of 1 and 2.

4. Get bicycle mechanic certification and become a wrench for the tour
or giro for one the sportifs.

Good luck
Andrew

drewski
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
Personally I would would want to get a mechanical engineering degree or study urban planning.

We need more bike lanes and high speed rail.

You might want and become a professional cycling or triathlon coach
training. I recall reading in Outside Magazine there is only 1 school
in North America that offers the highest certification level. I think
this is Vancouver. My information may be outdated.

MattTuck
05-28-2010, 03:31 PM
my ideas

1. Look into supply chain work for trek, shimano, or campy.

2. Move to Italy and or france and some euro trekking---and come back to the states and lead a paid tour of Serotta forum folks. I will be your first customer. Learn a little french and a italian while you are out there.

3. Some hybrid of 1 and 2.

4. Get bicycle mechanic certification and become a wrench for the tour
or giro for one the sportifs.

Good luck
Andrew

From what I've heard, one of the reasons SRAM has been able to achieve rapid market share growth in their road groups is that they have much better supply chain consistency, and they are able to actually deliver product to bike makers when they say they will.

Perhaps Campy and Shimano are lacking in this department and you could help them out.

eddief
05-28-2010, 03:44 PM
and do supply chain for new Toyota/Tesla partnership.

BengeBoy
05-28-2010, 03:46 PM
How do you like it there?

:) :)

Send me a PM .

taz-t
05-28-2010, 03:55 PM
My job quit me and I'm starting law school in two months. In retrospect, I should have made the move 2-3 years ago instead of letting someone make the decision for me.

Good luck with whichever path you choose - even if it's moving to a beach in Mexico to stretch that 20 months to 40.

- taz

azrider
05-28-2010, 04:02 PM
Awesome, dude! Congrats! What are you gonna do now?

Good luck with whatever you decide. Life is WAY too short to be miserable at your job.

Both Camps Steve

Thanks dude! Couldn't agree more on life being too short. My two best friends live over in Mnhttn beach area so i'll be over there a bunch i'm sure. I'll shoot you a PM before i head over sometime

Louis
05-28-2010, 04:07 PM
My opinion:

If you want to make more money get an MBA.

If you want to make lots more money get a JD.

If you want a job you really love don't do either one.

Louis

PS I have an MBA but I really don't use it much. I'm an engineer.

SoCalSteve
05-28-2010, 05:12 PM
Thanks dude! Couldn't agree more on life being too short. My two best friends live over in Mnhttn beach area so i'll be over there a bunch i'm sure. I'll shoot you a PM before i head over sometime

Do that, I'm in that area all the time riding. Tommy (False-Aesthetic) you and I can hook up for a ride...Thats how I met him. His job ended, he moved out here to hang with his best friend, got a job and now he is established here.

Let me (us) know,

Steve

1centaur
05-28-2010, 05:20 PM
I got an MBA because it was a prerequisite for what I wanted to do for a living (money management). If you don't know what you want to do with an MBA, I advise not getting one. I'm guessing I'd think the same about law school.

On the other hand, "supply chain" is a broad field that's getting broader. With experience and lack of desperation on your side, you ought to be attractive to a lot of people and have a rare balance of interest and indifference that works really well in interviews if you have a good resume. I'd think about where you want to live and what you want your lifestyle to be at the type of income you could make given your experience/personality and where you'll be in 10 years. I'm betting there are some supply chain jobs in great locations that are FAR more pleasant than the hell you described. If you find the right location and growth path and emotional fit, be prepared to take it next week or next year. Time gives you options, but options decline in value as time to expiration wanes. If you see nothing attractive in your field, you'll still have time to go another way.

climbgdh
05-28-2010, 06:01 PM
Thanks dude, and goodl luck to you too! Hey you still in Vancouver? My girlfriend is going up there on business in couple of weeks and is trying to get me to tag along...........i think i just might bring the bike and tool around town while she's workin (sucker)....HA

Thanks. Yes... still in Vancouver. If you're up this way shoot me a PM and we can hook-up for a ride. I am on vacation probably right around the time you are here so might be out of town though.

Unfortunately my need to bail-out & "reset" this time is not because of wanderlust & being disillusioned with a dead end job but because of a break-up of a marriage. :confused:

Volant
05-28-2010, 06:28 PM
Hey, CONGATS! I'm in the same boat as of three weeks ago (except I already hold an MBA). I'll probably start something new - I invented a hubless bicycle wheel 20 years ago bet never brought it to market - perhaps the timing is right?! Anyway, just enjoy the ride and see where life leads you. I'm enjoying the ride like never before!!
Cheers compadre and good luck to you!!
:beer: :beer: :beer:

Wilkinson4
05-28-2010, 08:04 PM
Get your MBA (Man by Bike across America)!!!

I took a severance package after being at the same place 15 years:) I decided to take a year off and I had a great time on a 45 day solo bike tour across our great country! Do it!!!

mIKE

deanster
05-29-2010, 01:33 AM
Before you do anything take the time off and plan something you always wanted to do. As a rider go for a week long supported ride like the bike tour of colorado, or tour Oregon, or any one of a dozen distance rides. Try and take a full year off before getting into something else...it will change your life. I did the same at 3 times in my life and have not one regret that I did. I cycled, ran rivers in a kayak, Sailed from the west coast to Hawaii, and backpacked in the Sierra Nevada Mts. Eventually (at 40) got married, had kids, and all the assorted anchors...but because I did something that most dream about I settled into a great family life w/o regrets. I am now 67 with a wife who encourages my riding and 2 kids with college degrees contemplating a ride for 2 weeks in the Italian alps starting on june 26th. The break in my 20s and 30s was the best thing I could have ever done...go for it!!!

PCR
05-29-2010, 01:46 AM
Learn a trade. Good for you, what a gift! :beer: :banana: Oh, also ride your bike across the USA.

djg
05-29-2010, 07:52 AM
So I ask………………….what would you do? I’m 33 with 10 years of Supply Chain experience and am contemplating Grad School or Law School. With one(MBA) I can parlay my work history and with the other (JD) I am back to square one and essentially starting over.

Well, I cannot tell you what to do, but I have a few observations on the law as a second or third career. I was in my late 30s, and working at NIH, when I started law school. Now I do law and policy work. Starting at (or near) the bottom again has its drawbacks, but starting doesn't last forever and there are plenty of ways to make use of your background -- whatever your background. One of the nice things about a law degree is the way it works as a ticket to so many different kinds of work. That offers lots of possibilities not just in your initial focus, but in managing transitions within a career.

So, the law market seems to be picking up again a bit, but if you're thought about this at all, you know that it hit a serious slump not too long ago. There are plenty of good starting jobs right now, but also plenty of people looking, and even people with good grades at well-ranked law schools are finding that some of the traditional sure-thing jobs are just not waiting for them. Things will recover, and three or four years is a long time in any job market, but the days when average grades at Northwestern meant that, of course you could land several offers at large high-paying firms before the last semester of your third year . . . well, those days may be over.

That doesn't mean don't do it. Those people will find work, and there are good long term career prospects, but think carefully about the level of debt you assume, especially if you go to a private law school that's not really top of the heap. Walk out of Yale and people will hand you jobs almost against your will; walk out of a very similar program at a #20 school and that might be less true (very much less true at a "tier 3" school). For smaller markets, the home state school may be as good a credential as any, and a better one than many, many alternatives (and this isn't even factoring situations where your home state school is a top tier national one, like UVa or Mich or Berkeley).

Also, for law and business school, you might think about taking a couple of months off rather than 20. Find some arguably pertinent work -- it doesn't have to be grueling or even necessarily full-time -- get your applications in order, and then take another six months off AFTER you've been admitted. Perfect scores open many doors, and some admissions work is formulaic, but both law schools and business schools like to see something that says "I wanna actually do this" -- you know, beyond receipt of the application and clearance of the check. (I've never been to B-school, but I did part time admissions work for one when I was a PhD student at Chicago -- they like different, to an extent, but they really like to see a real ongoing interest too).

But these are all ad hoc background observations from some stranger on the Internet. And none of the observations is about you. So, you know, have some fun decompressing and then you need to take your best stab at figuring out what it is that you want.

NRRider
05-29-2010, 09:48 AM
...the days when average grades at Northwestern meant that, of course you could land several offers at large high-paying firms before the last semester of your third year . . . well, those days may be over.

That doesn't mean don't do it.
Reading this entire thread it sounds like the last thing the OP wants is to work for a big law firm. (I've been at one for 24 years.)

Best of luck OP. I envy your willingness to take on risk and in order to enjoy life to its fullest.

nm87710
05-29-2010, 10:35 AM
Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for :)

eddief
05-29-2010, 10:48 AM
she quit a corp job after 12 years and rowed solo across the Atlantic. That would give you some time to consider the options.

djg
05-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Reading this entire thread it sounds like the last thing the OP wants is to work for a big law firm. (I've been at one for 24 years.)

Best of luck OP. I envy your willingness to take on risk and in order to enjoy life to its fullest.

Well, I don't know what he wants but you're probably right. Many folks want to do it for a few years to pay off school loans, look at a few practice areas, acquire some skills, and move on. But really, I wasn't recommending big law life in particular, just pointing out a non-trivial change in law's labor markets that make a difference not just for the availability of entry-level big firm jobs, but on the number of candidates lining up for, say, entry level state and federal government jobs. And those, too, are not for everyone -- not by a long shot.

Really, I'm not even recommending law over business over ballet. Each of us needs to find his or her way.

Ahneida Ride
05-29-2010, 11:10 AM
Life is TOO short not to live your dreams.

azrider
05-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Well a buddy took me out for beers after work yesterday and once home managed to polish off a couple Pyramid Curve Balls (Blonde Ale). Great summer brew....

What started as a way to waste time on my last day of work has turned into pretty cool conversation about possiblities and opportunties that are out there....hell i got two guys asking for resumes. Pretty neat indeed.

Just wanted to say I'm humbled and thankful for all the support and kind words from everyone. If it were possible I'd like to sit with each of you and share couple of beers. Everyone in their own way has made me look at this just a little differently and i appreciate everyones opinion(s). I think i read this thread 3x last night before i finally passed out.

Todays a new day.....and it's time to go ride my bike.

Thanks again dudes.

azrider
05-29-2010, 11:25 AM

Damn straight....

dimsy
05-29-2010, 11:38 AM
I’m at my desk and both my phones are ringing, both computer monitors are flashing with instant messages and incoming orders, my co-workers are running around with their heads cut off (it’s end of month and in my line of work that equals hell), the guy next to me is screaming across the room with a phone receiver on each ear, and I think one of our assistants is crying in the corner [again]. Me? I’m sitting here sipping on a coffee and filling out my exit interview form while toggling back n’ forth between cyclingnews and trainingpeaks.

Life is too short to be F’n miserable. I finally said enough was enough and gave my notice. Suprisingly, they asked me to work out the final two weeks (and more if I could) and my last day has finally come and I’m giddy. I’ve got no mortgage, no car payments, no wife/kids, no CC debt and enough cash to live same lifestyle for next 20 months (if I need to).

Amen brother,

you've got the balls to do something I don't. My job is turning into a nightmare as well. Initially it was great! I was learning a lot, working on cool projects and I loved it. As time passed and the company grew, I find them trying to be "more efficient" which basically translates into work harder longer hours for the same pay (I'm salaried). I've been tempted to say ???? it and just quit but I like the cash flow (it allows me to spend frivolously on my favorite things, read: bicycles). We're in pretty much the same boat... I'd love to know how the next few months or even years turn out for you.

best of luck!

54ny77
05-29-2010, 02:02 PM
This band called Pink Floyd once said:

Time
(Mason, Waters, Wright, Gilmour) 7:06

Ticking away the moments that make up a dull day
You fritter and waste the hours in an offhand way.
Kicking around on a piece of ground in your home town
Waiting for someone or something to show you the way.

Tired of lying in the sunshine staying home to watch the rain.
You are young and life is long and there is time to kill today.
And then one day you find ten years have got behind you.
No one told you when to run, you missed the starting gun.

So you run and you run to catch up with the sun but it's sinking
Racing around to come up behind you again.
The sun is the same in a relative way but you're older,
Shorter of breath and one day closer to death.

Every year is getting shorter never seem to find the time.
Plans that either come to naught or half a page of scribbled lines
Hanging on in quiet desperation is the English way
The time is gone, the song is over,
Thought I'd something more to say.

weiwentg
05-29-2010, 11:29 PM

Seriously, PM me.

my massage therapist in MI quit accounting to do massage therapy. she is extremely gifted and she really enjoys it. sadly, I moved to DC.

tuxbailey
05-30-2010, 12:33 AM
Congrats to have the guts to set yourself free. Not everyone gets to make that same decision due to the webbing in the society.

I echo another poster's idea of do some serious riding, maybe across the country?

Don't forget to pay the COBRA monthly premium to keep up with health insurance.

ericspin
05-30-2010, 07:19 AM
In my yoga practice I have been learning about _aparigraha_ which translates to nonhoarding. One of the translations of this term is that it is an opportunity to learn how to say goodbye. Sounds like you may be practicing this is in your own way. Your courage to make this move is inspirational to me and I hope to add your experience into the basket of experiences I am using to help strengthen the resolve in my life's situaution. Hope the days ahead bring what you are looking for and that you remain open to receive it.

Now to the trivial stuff. For some reason while I read this post I became curious about what you ride. Sooooooooo, what is it?

djg
05-30-2010, 07:43 AM

I dunno. I don't want to live my dreams. That's not what they're for.

Nothing against the OP -- he saw that the tunnel was getting darker and he decided to turn around and look for another path. He'll find his way.

sloji
05-30-2010, 07:57 AM
There is a local poet who said "freedom the last thing anyone wants"'....

You will still cycle through all the feelings of being human even with your newfound freedom.

The place we live defines us...better to be a servant in a vineyard than a ruler in a wasteland.

Take a vow of celibacy, poverty, and nudity like a jain monk...course that only might make sense if you move to India but the job is open!

Marry a doctor and learn to cook.

So many choices....choose your form of destruction....

ThasFACE
05-30-2010, 02:43 PM
Congratulations on the move!

I'm in a somewhat similar position. I'm 31, have enough saved to keep me going through at least the end of next year, don't have any obligations, and I'm in a job that I am not too fond of (to put it lightly)... so I'm trying to make a change in my life. I already have a jd, and the risk-averse side of me wants to have something lined up before I jet from the current thing, but the 'hey, life is short' part of me wants to just quit and deal with the risk that it might be more difficult to find the right next job. I mean, my bikes aren't going to ride themselves, right? Internal negotiations continue.

Anyway, I'm envious of your resolve. Ride your bike a ton and get ridiculously fit.

SoCalSteve
05-30-2010, 02:56 PM
There is a local poet who said "freedom the last thing anyone wants"'....

You will still cycle through all the feelings of being human even with your newfound freedom.

The place we live defines us...better to be a servant in a vineyard than a ruler in a wasteland.

Take a vow of celibacy, poverty, and nudity like a jain monk...course that only might make sense if you move to India but the job is open!

Marry a doctor and learn to cook.

So many choices....choose your form of destruction....

OK, now that's GREAT advice!

And, if she rides, all the better...

nm87710
05-30-2010, 03:10 PM
Good Luck

slowandsteady
06-01-2010, 11:25 AM
you know what they say, think of what you enjoy doing most, and what you would do if you didnt NEED to make money, and then find a way to make money doing that.

Find your passion (remember though, that it often changes over time). Find the love of your life. Be happy. Have kids. Live in a place you love living. Ride lots, Smile often, Love deeply, Be passionate about all that you do, Be courteous to others, Help when and where you can in life, Travel to magic places that make you smile...

Life is short, bad things sometimes happen before you want them to. Remember to enjoy the journey and not just race for the end goal...

I mean these things sincerely. I have seen both side of health and happiness and I now work everyday towards incorporating what I say above into my everyday life...

WadePatton
06-01-2010, 08:53 PM
dan miller

48days.com

what would you do if you didn't need any money? find a way to make money at that.

you can have my jd. i have no use for it.

hybridbellbaske
06-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Dumb question - what's a "JD"? I don't think we have them in Australia.

Ken Robb
06-01-2010, 10:00 PM
Juris Doctor--fancy name for a law degree

hybridbellbaske
06-01-2010, 10:06 PM
D'oh! I gots me one of those puppies- only here we call them "Bachelor of Laws".

William
06-02-2010, 04:07 AM
Get a haircut, and get a real job!

William ;) :)

djg
06-02-2010, 07:06 AM
D'oh! I gots me one of those puppies- only here we call them "Bachelor of Laws".

In the U.S. it's not an undergraduate degree, but one that follows the first four-year university degree (typically a B.A. or A.B., but it could be an engineering degree or some such -- law schools in the U.S. don't require entrants to have completed any particular course of study, just some course or other). I mean, intellectually it's an undergraduate degree at best -- a juris "doctor" is not any sort of doctorate -- but procedurally it's a graduate or professional degree.

flydhest
06-02-2010, 07:59 AM
In the U.S. it's not an undergraduate degree, but one that follows the first four-year university degree (typically a B.A. or A.B., but it could be an engineering degree or some such -- law schools in the U.S. don't require entrants to have completed any particular course of study, just some course or other). I mean, intellectually it's an undergraduate degree at best -- a juris "doctor" is not any sort of doctorate -- but procedurally it's a graduate or professional degree.

Sort of like a Vo-Tech high school degree???

djg
06-02-2010, 12:43 PM
Sort of like a Vo-Tech high school degree???

Well, sort of, but without the practical skills.

WadePatton
06-02-2010, 01:03 PM
actually "doctor of jurisprudence" a/k/a a lawyer's degree, which is required here before one takes the bar exam which must be passed before one gets to practice law. takes a four-year college degree plus a high law-school entrance exam (lsat) score to get into law school. 1/2 the folks who get in don't make it past the first year. many of those who get the degree don't pass the bar examination. law school is a 3 or 4-year program in this states' four law schools. it's a very well protected profession.

then senator thompson hooded me at graduation--so it looks just like a doctorate. (there are higher degrees in the study of law, but they're for academics, not law professionals.) there is also another, fallen from favor law degree that is the same as a jd. i don't recall it. and yeah, i know i didn't do a thesis or dissertation. i did moot court--which is a pretty dang good trade-off.

i threw that out there so folks might learn from my mistake to think things through and don't let money be a major factor...especially when expensive and inflexible degrees and such are required for the endeavor. guide your youths too. or "youts" as vinney sez.

i was simply barking up the wrong tree. chasing a dollar and realized before it was too late (barely) that i'd never be happy with the lawyer's life.

azrider
07-09-2010, 01:16 PM
Coming back to this thread to thank all of you who offered your advice, opinions, and for those with whom I've spoken through PM's and even phone calls. I was blown away at some of the random opportunities that came about from this thread and appreciated each of them.

I accepted an offer yesterday and will be rejoining the workforce mid July. It is an amazing opportunity that practically fell into my lap and would have never come about if I hadn't quit my last job. There were some rough patches during the last 4 weeks and a lot of "what the F have I done", but in the end it certainly was the best thing I could have done.

Happy riding fellas and I hope each of you have a kick-a5s weekend.

gasman
07-09-2010, 01:23 PM
That's great news.
it takes courage that most of us don't have to quit your job in hopes of a positive change.

Volant
07-09-2010, 01:54 PM
Hey azrider, Congratulations and best of luck to you!

It's all good.

Karl Lee
07-09-2010, 05:27 PM
Hey azrider, you're a lucky guy, you have smarts and money to figure out what fun thing will be next in your life. Good advice here. Seems many people hate their jobs, except those that work for themselves. It's just easier to figure out what you want to do and not what you don't want to go back to! Good luck, you know I enjoyed reading all the responses, there's a lot of great people out there. Now enjoy your weekend!!!

KD

beungood
07-09-2010, 08:34 PM
Wow, re3ading this post couldn't have come at a better time. I am not in the business field but my situation is similiar. I have been a Police Officer for going on 15 years ,the last 8 on the motorcycle unit. I love the job when I first started and still get a good feeling on the rare chance to actually help someone. But I have been miserable and doing my job by rote memory for last 5 or so. Ive been sued and charged for doing my job (Aquitted on both accounts due to frivolity), had a major cruiser accident ,motorcycle accident held a dying bicyclist who had retired to live in a house he bought in Tuscany to cycle, taken burglers at gunpoint out of houses. There have been numerous incidents of a political nature that just makes this place s__ck! I think I have reached a burnout /jaded and cycnical phase of which you uaually reach now and then and soldier through it.I think this is why every other state lets us retire at 20.

I recently recieved a card from the State Environmental Police department asking if I would be intrested. I filled it out saying yes and thinking nothing will come of it. I was surprised to recieve a card inviting me for an informal interview. I went in and it was a one of the few interviews ive had, the only one where I was totally relaxed and had them laughing with some of my answers. They were a different breed of Law enforcement and I found out afterwards that I was the only one that really made an impression on them and they gave me paperwork for a background check and as of yesterday I was invited back for a formal interview with the same 3 guys who did the first one plus 3 more and the Colonel. My only dealbreaker is in the past the old Boss made people repeat a basic academy in addition to the 10 week one they hold afterward ,along with coastguard boat school, the federal portion (They carry Federal credentials too) and ATV/snowmobile school) Wel the Sgt says that may not be the case anymore and I could actually get the first part waived. Bad part is im giving up a education incentive thats in percentages per annum,the heart Bill and I start on a step pay scale that is less than im earning.(I can however do details anywhere in the state to include the Staqte Police Highway jobs.

Here I am 46 years old, 15 years senority with 16 more to go before I can punch out. I should be happy ,but ,I am not. I think in the end quality of life ,happiness come first. My civil service senority will follow me for retirement purposes and vacation but not pay.

The very thought of this job hits me in the gut with excitement. my gut feeling is this could be good for me a niche where I could fit in. They said I would have Statewide Police Jurisdiction, Federal credentials, no supervision beyond talking with my Lieutenant about what hours I want to work as they have no set hours, take home patrol vehicle and gas card ,start in coastal Patrol doing Marine Fisheries enforcement until new people come in behind me, and inland patrol enforcing every law in the state. I will patrol State Parks waterways and roadways.

I owe nothing to no one, paid off all my vehicles ,have a decent 457 account and have not yet bought a house. I have zero debt. And I heard there are some decorated Veterans who are up on the list if my current job hires, I thought perfect i can leave knowing one of them will get my Spot.

Am I crazy?

slowandsteady
07-09-2010, 09:15 PM
... I think in the end quality of life ,happiness come first.

Take it from me this IS important. I moved away from my job and home 14 years ago for a better quality of life and have never looked back. 12 years ago I was snowboarding in Colorado and my aorta dissected (similar to a ruptured aortic aneurysm in which you generally bleed out in about 4 minutes). I was 35yrs old and in the best shape of my life and needed emergency open heart surgery in the middle of the night. **** like that changes the way you look at life...9 years ago my sister dies of a human variant of mad cow disease (true story)...3 years ago my wife dies of lung cancer at age 47...my mother dies at age 70 9 months prior to my wife...

The "how you live your life" portion is very real. As long as you are not hurting or harming anyone or thing in some manner and you are caring for family and loved ones "properly", make sure you take the time along the way to enjoy the things and people you have around you and if they are not the right people and things around you then find a way to make them cherished people, places and things in your life and you will enrich their lives as much as they enrich yours. You will all prosper and grow happy and healthy together and maybe even wealthier as a result of your new found happiness quotient.

gemship
07-09-2010, 09:20 PM
[QUOTE=
I owe nothing to no one, paid off all my vehicles ,have a decent 457 account and have not yet bought a house. I have zero debt. And I heard there are some decorated Veterans who are up on the list if my current job hires, I thought perfect i can leave knowing one of them will get my Spot.

Am I crazy?[/QUOTE]

Dude sounds like you already made up your mind, go for it. You'll love being on the water. The berkshires are a really nice part of the state too. Sounds like you got it made. By the way I love riding motorcycles. My last bike was a 05' zx10r, I babied it but and hem and hawed over selling it. Eventually I sold back to the dealership I bought it from for a new scooter and cash to make up the difference in value. I sold the day after I got a BS speeding ticket about 8 miles from home in a little hick town called Essex, Ma. where the police make it their top priority due to revenue generation. I'll never forget the cop that stopped me arrogant and pompous giving me some stupid two sentence baloney about safety. Nobody was on the road it was windy and with plenty of space, he didn't know me from a whole in the wall but if he had half a brain he could of given me a warning or at least showed a bit more respect or rationalized my situation living up the street. Anyway I decided after that to just stick with bicycles. Don't need big brother up my ass. I had a lot of fun riding motorcycles, I was no saint but I wasn't all that obnoxious either. I guess what I saying is those environmental police deal don't have to put in the position of being hypocrites, yes I believe he was setting a double standard because he was going almost as fast the opposite direction and pulled a u turn right quick with the blues. I could of blown him off on one wheel but I was decent about it and pulled over and I think on his end that should of count for something but he wanted to be a dink about probably because he is one, you can tell just by looking and interacting with him.

Aside from the horror stories you described do you really like the power trip that invokes fear if not disdain toward you by folks/taxpayers that you may have to stop? I'm guessing not. Take the new job opportunity, regulating the waters and forest is a whole lot safer and saner and the quality of folks you'll deal with will be a lot better and more respectful. I'm sure of it good luck.

beungood
07-09-2010, 09:43 PM
Never really got off on the power thing with the exception of some mean bastard victimizing someone and i get to correct the problem. They told me the scope of my duties which include motor vehicle and criminal law, RV/ATV Bating and hunting Fishing regs and said your out there on your own and it's up to you whether you want to answer calls,generate cases or stop cars. I am expected to write more when I am on motorcycle duty, but, my bos doesnt tell me what he wants he says give me at least 5 cites a shift and written warnings count. so Everyone starts with a warning and depending on how truthful they are they leave reletively unscathed. I do seesmiles usually when I leave :D . I figure why make enemies or hurt the good 90% of the population. Ive had fun ,been on some really close calls.

I always take time off and ride my bicycle usually in remore or rural areas. So I figure keep working toward retirement, be happy, make my own schedule ,do my own cases ,maybe have some Huck Finn type adventure on a non typical job. Also this damn Auto immune disease that attacks my pigment is worse with stress so maybe that would improve too.It would be nice to actually have my own patrol vehicle that has an absence of chicken bones under the seat or snot wiped on the headliner...

Yeah I think your right I am answring my own questions. It is nice to get some feedback from good people on the job and far removed from my job too. I have told some people on my job who are not "station rats" and who will keep this secret until I find out if I make it and all have said who cares about the money go for it..

beungood
07-09-2010, 09:45 PM
Never really was into writing alot of tickets for revenue collection, I think it's a terrible waste of manpower and creates alot of ill will in the community. And I have came across those types of A$$holes on the job you mention. We usually can't stand them as much as the people they run into..

gemship
07-09-2010, 09:50 PM
Never really was into writing alot of tickets for revenue collection, I think it's a terrible waste of manpower and creates alot of ill will in the community. And I have came across those types of A$$holes on the job you mention. We usually can't stand them as much as the people they run into..

It's nice to hear someone from your side say that, thank you. ;)

I'll tell you I live in Gloucester and right now being on the water is absolutely fabulous. I remember a year ago seeing the coasties ripping it up in a no wake zone, they were having fun. :p

Wilkinson4
07-09-2010, 10:01 PM
Congrats to the OP. Bike tours and all that stuff can wait:) Jacko, maybe you can do some patrols on Mountain Bike to get to you know, remote areas!

mIKE

beungood
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
I have thought of the Mountain bike patrols in my daydreaming about this possible move! Gem Your area is one of the three they said they could 99%guarantee I would be starting at should all the stars align. They said Hingham,New Bedford or Glouster for starters. Any of three is fine with me! If I luck out and get the job and my vehicloe ends up being the F150 I can throw a set of fork mounts in it..

William
07-09-2010, 10:41 PM
I've known Jack for quite a few years now and I can assure you he's not the power trip type. A cool cat and a straight shooter.

You know how I feel about it Bro. If they offer, take it and run. Life is too short to go through some of the stuff you've had to deal with.

Wishing the best for you Brother!! :cool:

William

beungood
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Thanks Bro, Been rolling things over and over on my rides the last week trying to think of every angle. I really did too much thinking on yesterdays ride and have a nice rest day today..I think I put a hurting on both me and the Hors. Thanks for the comments !