PDA

View Full Version : OY: Guitar George, he knows all the chords

William
05-28-2010, 07:42 AM
Heard it first thing this morning and it set the day off right. Have a great weekend folks!!!

William

You get a shiver in the dark.

It's been raining in the park but meantime.

South of the river you stop and you hold everything.

A band is blowing Dixie double four time.

You feel all right when you hear that music ring.

You step inside but you don't see too many faces

Coming in out of the rain to hear the jazz go down

Too much competition too many other places

But not too many horns can make that sound

Way on down-south. way on down-south London town.

You check out Guitar George he knows all the chords.

Mind he's strictly rhythm he doesn't want to make it cry or sing.

And an old guitar is all he can afford.

When he gets up under the lights to play his thing.

And Harry doesn't mind if he doesn't make the scene.

He's got a daytime job he's doing alright.

He can play honky-tonk just like anything.

Saving it up for Friday night.

With the Sultans with the Sultans of Swing.

And a crowd of young boys they're fooling around in the corner.

Drunk and dressed in their best brown baggies and their platform soles.

They don't give a damn about any trumpet playing band.

It ain't what they call rock and roll.

And the Sultans, yeah the sultans...played Creole.

And then the man he steps right up to the microphone.

And says at last just as the time bell rings.

'Goodnight now it's time to go home'

and he makes it fast with one more thing,

'We are the Sultans, we are the Sultans of Swing'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jH74e3Qo9k

Cut off the very end but it's the band...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SEULZIHru0

Ray
05-28-2010, 08:18 AM
I'll never forget walking around in a music store with a friend of mine, a couple of months after that album came out, checking out the electric guitars. Some grungy looking guy walked in, plugged in a telecaster (not a Strat, which Knopfler played), and proceeded to pick through that entire song, pretty much note for note. Incredible! The two of us and one of the salesmen gave him an ovation. One of the many humbling moments that told me I'd never be much more than a barely adequate guitarist.

-Ray

William
05-28-2010, 08:45 AM
I'll never forget walking around in a music store with a friend of mine, a couple of months after that album came out, checking out the electric guitars. Some grungy looking guy walked in, plugged in a telecaster (not a Strat, which Knopfler played), and proceeded to pick through that entire song, pretty much note for note. Incredible! The two of us and one of the salesmen gave him an ovation. One of the many humbling moments that told me I'd never be much more than a barely adequate guitarist.

-Ray

Great story! Thanks for sharing Ray. I think this can give you a good appreciation for the chord work. Nice close up. He may not be a professional, but he's not bad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kW8QRJm4j88&NR=1

William

Louis
05-28-2010, 09:44 AM
Interesting part of the Dire Straits story: Charlie Gillett Obituary (http://www.guardian.co.uk/tv-and-radio/2010/mar/17/charlie-gillett-obituary) (4th par down)

indyrider
05-28-2010, 10:35 AM
Saw Mark Knophler a few years back in a little outdoor venue. Smokin' show and probably the loudest.

Definitely in the top 5 shows of my life. Ranks up there with Santana at Red Rocks, which was just sick and with Pearl Jam kicking off their world tour in Missoula about a decade or so ago...

Music makes me happy :)

henrypretz
05-28-2010, 10:51 AM
Ha! Thanks William, for blowing a half hour of my morning :D
Every time I click on a YouTube link ..... :crap:
;)

William
05-28-2010, 11:53 AM
Ha! Thanks William, for blowing a half hour of my morning :D
Every time I click on a YouTube link ..... :crap:
;)

How about another five minutes with a more refined, improveo version? :D ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-euJjZIV3Xk

William

Kevan
05-28-2010, 11:55 AM
if I can distract for a moment, Tom Petty has a new album coming out soon and it sounds killer.

William, thanks for the thread. Good stuff.

lurpy
05-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Sitting at my desk on a Friday morning, scanning the Serotta Forum. Open this thread, and half way through the lyrics reach over and turn on the radio. Guess the song....

Ozz
05-28-2010, 01:12 PM
Sitting at my desk on a Friday morning, scanning the Serotta Forum. Open this thread, and half way through the lyrics reach over and turn on the radio. Guess the song....
...plate of shrimp.

rounder
05-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Mark Kopfler is great. I have a cd with him and Chet Atkins that was also very good. This song was not on it. House of the Rising Sun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIZ99oQ1piE

dogdriver
05-29-2010, 08:10 PM
Pearl Jam kicking off their world tour in Missoula about a decade or so ago...

Music makes me happy :)

Small world-- I was there, too. Smokin' show!

rounder
05-29-2010, 08:21 PM
The Notting Hilbillies were also great.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f8ppQ2_5WsY

eddief
05-29-2010, 09:08 PM
he could play that thing, but did not say much to us, his fans.

He was at the top of my list to see live while we both had some steam left.

I, too, love that album with him and Chet Atkins.

Dekonick
05-31-2010, 08:49 PM
The cliffs of Dover

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnqpOFcBiMM&feature=PlayList&p=2BE1E2A08138BD29&playnext_from=PL&index=0&playnext=1

joelh
06-01-2010, 02:52 PM
I started my workday with "on Every Street" Mark is a genius!

avalonracing
06-01-2010, 03:14 PM
The Sultans of Swing was soooooooooo overplayed when it came out that I will NEVER be able to enjoy or appreciate it. Hell, I think it has been more overplayed than Money for Nothing.

It's not that I hate Dire Straits I just hate over-played songs. Hell, I would get sick of an orgasm if I had to have it for four minutes, 10 times a day for four years.... Well maybe.

William
06-01-2010, 03:17 PM
The Sultans of Swing was soooooooooo overplayed when it came out that I will NEVER be able to enjoy or appreciate it. Hell, I think it has been more overplayed than Money for Nothing.

It's not that I hate Dire Straits I just hate over-played songs. Hell, I would get sick of an orgasm if I had to have it for four minutes, 10 times a day for four years.... Well maybe.

I feltl the same way about "Money For Nothing". I like the riffs, but it was so overplayed by MTV at the time that I couldn't stand it anymore. I listed to it recently and it didn't bug me as much.

Now, "Jump" on the other hand... :crap:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/fireflybicycles/8318621011/

William

indyrider
06-01-2010, 03:27 PM
Now, "Jump" on the other hand... :crap:

William

Turn the station every time....As well as with sam h

Nathanrtaylor
06-01-2010, 03:45 PM
the riffs in Down to the Waterline always impressed me more than Sultans of Swing.

Bradford
06-04-2010, 02:45 AM
if I can distract for a moment, Tom Petty has a new album coming out soon and it sounds killer.

I saw Tom Petty tonight at Red Rocks...he was great. I've always liked his music, but he is much better live. The new songs sound good too, I'll give them a better listen when the album comes out.

Ray
06-04-2010, 04:37 AM
the riffs in Down to the Waterline always impressed me more than Sultans of Swing.
There's a lot of great guitar stuff on those first couple of albums. The later stuff is good too, just less guitar-centric. But I think most people initially think of Sultans because that was the first anyone had heard of Dire Straits, when that song hit the radio. I remember literally the first morning it was out, I kept hearing it and thinking, 'who is THAT'? It was the first really good non-punk rock band I'd heard in a few years at that point and I remember thinking, THAT is what a guitar is supposed to sound like! Those first two albums still come up a lot on my iphone, even though they're 30 years old now.

-Ray

mnoble485
06-04-2010, 06:20 AM
Brothers in Arms. Nuff said.

Nil Else
06-04-2010, 10:17 AM
Knopfler's licks, especially on tele(strat), are sweeeeet... always inspire me to pick up my guitars. I like his voice... however, as he's been heavy in my music rotation for a long time, it can get to be a bit of downer if you listen to him too much... just the nature of his timbre... more so of his later stuff. I'd love to hear more new guitar playing of his but I think he never liked the idea of just being the sweet tele in-between pickups tone lick guy and rather wanted to be a more rounded singer/songwriter/player.

Lately I just listen to samples of his new stuff on iTune store but unfortunately don't really hear all that much different from the stuff that made me stop listening to him as much....don't get me wrong, there are still some good stuffs there. I hope he puts out a new guitar album but somehow I don't think he'll ever do that. I'll probably have to go to his show to hear him play more licks.