PDA

View Full Version : DA 7900 group vs DA 9 speed??

BlackTiBob
05-27-2010, 01:04 PM
Hi,
I currently ride a Serotta Ottrott with DA 9 speed group.
I've been thinking about upgrading to DA 7900 group.
Anyone go from DA 9 speed to 7900 and care to comment on this upgrade?

Also, will chain life and cassette life go down on 7900 group?

Thanks for any comments
I'm trying to estimate how much it will cost so any estimates on what my DA 7700 group is worth used? $500?
Standard chainrings, 172.5 arms, 12-27 cassette.
Bob in MN

Pete Serotta
05-27-2010, 02:32 PM
The 79oo is 10 speed, hidden cables, and lighter. The shifting is somewhat lighter. Cassettes and chains I hear last less than 3k miles. (Others can validate for mine does not have that many miles on it.)

Suggestion would be to quantify what you do not like in your current setup and what you would like in a new one, This might help in the selection process.

Additionally the handles are different and longer than the 7800. Lastly it seems like all groups that are newer cost more, are lighter, and the chains/cassettes do not last as long.

500 in good shape sounds like a price that will allow a quick sale

I like the 79oo but I never had any problems with the 7800.

palincss
05-27-2010, 02:48 PM
Leaving aside for a moment ergonomic issues like the shape of the brifters or the lightness/heaviness of the shifting stroke, would anybody care to comment on the value or lack thereof of that extra 10th sprocket?

echelon_john
05-27-2010, 02:57 PM
the 7900 is a LOT pickier in terms of adjustment than the 9sp stuff.

IMO there's nothing wrong with 7700 that 7900 fixes, with the exception of the crankset which is noticeably stiffer and available as a compact if you need/want that. the available gear ratios are so similar that there's not much gain there; i don't notice a big difference in braking.

i guess maybe the hidden cable thing could be a reason to go there, but i've never felt like the external cables were slowing me down... :)

if you have a jones to get some new stuff there's no reason you couldn't upgrade the crankset, refresh your chain & cassette, and be a happy camper.

my 2¢

bfd
05-27-2010, 02:59 PM
Hi,
I currently ride a Serotta Ottrott with DA 9 speed group.
I've been thinking about upgrading to DA 7900 group.
Anyone go from DA 9 speed to 7900 and care to comment on this upgrade?

Also, will chain life and cassette life go down on 7900 group?

Thanks for any comments
I'm trying to estimate how much it will cost so any estimates on what my DA 7700 group is worth used? $500?
Standard chainrings, 172.5 arms, 12-27 cassette.
Bob in MN

One thing to consider is the cost of consumables, e.g., chains and cassettes. DA 9 stuff is getting rare and has substantially increased in price. Same with 10 speed consumables. In fact, 10 speed stuff is quite a bit more, unless you're willing to go with after-market brands like KMC chains, Miche cassettes or gasp, get lower end Shimano parts like Ultegra, or dare say, 105?!@$!

For 9 speed, it use to be that if you wanted say 12-27 cassette, you were limited to two choices - DA or ultegra. That's it. However, with 10 speed, 105 now has a 12-27 or even an 11-28!!!

Similarly, with chains. Unless you *NEED* the lightest, for consumables, get the cheapest and ride! Good Luck!

palincss
05-27-2010, 03:05 PM
One thing to consider is the cost of consumables, e.g., chains and cassettes. DA 9 stuff is getting rare and has substantially increased in price. Same with 10 speed consumables. In fact, 10 speed stuff is quite a bit more, unless you're willing to go with after-market brands like KMC chains, Miche cassettes or gasp, get lower end Shimano parts like Ultegra, or dare say, 105?!@$!

For 9 speed, it use to be that if you wanted say 12-27 cassette, you were limited to two choices - DA or ultegra. That's it. However, with 10 speed, 105 now has a 12-27 or even an 11-28!!!

Similarly, with chains. Unless you *NEED* the lightest, for consumables, get the cheapest and ride! Good Luck!

I think you've made the case that consumables in general are increasing in price - and that has nothing to do with any supposed rarity of 9 speed consumables.

bfd
05-27-2010, 03:07 PM
Leaving aside for a moment ergonomic issues like the shape of the brifters or the lightness/heaviness of the shifting stroke, would anybody care to comment on the value or lack thereof of that extra 10th sprocket?

Probably the same reason I'm ready to go 11 speed!!! Although you seem to dismiss the ergonomics issue, comfort with the various shifters is another fit point that should be explored. The fact that DA 7900 STI shifters have hidden cables might also be reason enough to upgrade.

Similarly, I like the looks of the new Campy 10/11 ergo levers as they look real comfortable! Too bad, it is only offered in black :( (note - I know the 2009 Centaur ergos were available in silver and I understand that Campy is coming out with my silver ergos in the near future. But, do I really need to upgrade from 9 speed, which I'm currently using on two of my bikes!

Bottom line, try out the different shifters (STI, Ergo, Double-Tap) and see what you like. You may like none of them and end up with, yikes - bar-ends...

bfd
05-27-2010, 03:08 PM
I think you've made the case that consumables in general are increasing in price - and that has nothing to do with any supposed rarity of 9 speed consumables.

Yes, 9 speed consumables are increasing, but it many cases, are still cheaper than 10 speed parts!

palincss
05-27-2010, 03:49 PM
Probably the same reason I'm ready to go 11 speed!!! Although you seem to dismiss the ergonomics issue, comfort with the various shifters is another fit point that should be explored. The fact that DA 7900 STI shifters have hidden cables might also be reason enough to upgrade.

I don't "dismiss" those issues, I was trying to leave them in abeyance for a bit so as to direct the discussion to the question of the value or lack thereof of the additional sprocket.

There is no reason why a manufacturer couldn't release a 9 (or 10) speed group that incorporated improvements in cable routing, shape of the hoods, location of the pivot on the brake lever, strength of the springs, etc., rather than coupling those changes with yet another increase in the number of sprockets. I've heard many here (and across the hall) extoll the virtues of those ergonomic changes, but I haven't heard much discussion of the value of that 10th or 11th sprocket, or whether the tradeoffs in service life and finickiness of adjustment that seem to come with ever thinner sprockets make any sense at all. And I think we really should ask that question.

palincss
05-27-2010, 03:51 PM
I understand that Campy is coming out with my silver ergos in the near future. But, do I really need to upgrade from 9 speed, which I'm currently using on two of my bikes!

Why? Are the 9 speed units failing? Are you having trouble finding consumables? Or is this just a case of irresistable upgrade lust?

bfd
05-27-2010, 04:02 PM
Why? Are the 9 speed units failing? Are you having trouble finding consumables? Or is this just a case of irresistable upgrade lust?

Actually, my Campy 9 ergos are in excellent shape, one is a silver Centaur 9 that is only a year old and the other is a 99 Record ergo, which I rebuilt last year, and it shifts perfectly.

However, I'm interested in trying out the latest (3rd gen) Campy ergo levers, which only seem to be available either 10 or 11 speed. No 9s, or I'm not aware of any.

Here's a link to a pic of the levers I'm interested in:

http://s.wiggle.co.uk/images/campy-centaur-bleveral-zoom.jpg