PDA

View Full Version : which speedplay road pedal ?

stickville
05-26-2010, 01:54 PM
I have used eggbeaters for 5+ years. I am starting to have some knee pain and what to try speedplay road pedals. Should I try the "zero" or the "X series"?

RADaines
05-26-2010, 02:13 PM
I have used both the X and Zero models. I found the X to have way more float than necessary. I have been using the Zeros for several years and have no desire to change. They are a little bit harder to get in and out of compared to the X's but you get used to this quickly. I don't know anything about the Light Action models. Go with the Zeros so you can dial in the float that you need.

straightegde
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
I bought set of zeros after riding egg beaters and SPDs and after the first couple rides on "ice" they feel great and work flawlessly. If you have knee problems the Xs are spring centering, so while having a lot of float the pedal will still try to move your foot into position. This could keep your knee agitated. The Zeros don't center or add to knee problems. I just bought some new Frogs to use for commuting, but haven't tried them yet. They should be similar to the Zero feel with no spring centering.

johnnymossville
05-26-2010, 02:24 PM
what he said. Go for the Zero.

jbrainin
05-26-2010, 02:26 PM
Try them both and see which you prefer. I've been using X series pedals for more than 15 years. They work great for me and I've had no problems contending with excessive float. That said, the odds are that a pair of Zeros will be perfectly adequate for your needs.

RADaines
05-26-2010, 02:36 PM
If you have knee problems the Xs are spring centering, so while having a lot of float the pedal will still try to move your foot into position. This could keep your knee agitated.

None of the Speedplay pedals are self-centering. This is one of the selling points.

straightegde
05-26-2010, 02:41 PM
I guess I am misinformed. So the spring on the X cleat is just for entry/exit?None of the Speedplay pedals are self-centering. This is one of the selling points.

cmg
05-26-2010, 02:46 PM
how is the cleat wear?

RADaines
05-26-2010, 02:51 PM
I guess I am misinformed. So the spring on the X cleat is just for entry/exit?

Yes, the "spring" is for engaging the cleat. The mechanism is a little different from the Zeros which is probably why the cleats are not interchangeable.

Pete Serotta
05-26-2010, 03:26 PM
I have used both the X and Zero models. I found the X to have way more float than necessary. I have been using the Zeros for several years and have no desire to change. They are a little bit harder to get in and out of compared to the X's but you get used to this quickly. I don't know anything about the Light Action models. Go with the Zeros so you can dial in the float that you need.

Since you are staring new into it...... go with the Zeros as said above.

I had x before zero so I am still using them most of the time for they require different cleats and covers than the Zero does. Once cleats wear out and/or pedals, I will be standardizing on the Zero.

Lots FOLKS like the KEO of late also but I have no experience,

weiwentg
05-26-2010, 04:13 PM
the cleats on the X series are sensitive to dirt and clog easily. the Zero cleats are better in this regard. I remember hearing the Zero cleats are also more durable. I have Xs and will switch someday.

joelh
05-26-2010, 04:30 PM
I switched from Quatros to Zeros last year and have really liked them. Easy entry and exit, lightweight, and no hot spots. Great pedal.

rdparadise
05-26-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't use the Speedplay road pedals for cycling but do use the frogs with MTB shoes for all of my road rides. Several advantages, including they are much easier to walk in them when off the bike and massive float so I've never had any knees pain with these pedals whatsoever.

To me, the Speedplay road pedals are ridiculous for walking in as they have to raise the front of you foot up the most of just about any road pedal/cleat combination that I have seen.

Good luck whatever you decide.

Bob

oldpotatoe
05-27-2010, 07:41 AM
I have used eggbeaters for 5+ years. I am starting to have some knee pain and what to try speedplay road pedals. Should I try the "zero" or the "X series"?

Speedplay pedals, either model mentioned, or any other pedal is not a panacea for knee pain. Have you have a bike fit done? I would start there.

BUT I use and recommend Speedplay Zero. Great pedal, very adjustable, very maintainable and if ya fall and kill one, you can but one pedal.

RADaines
05-27-2010, 08:01 AM
Speedplay pedals, either model mentioned, or any other pedal is not a panacea for knee pain. Have you have a bike fit done? I would start there.

Great advice. There may be other underlying causes that result in knee pain. It is best to catch these early before major problems develop.

Lionel
05-27-2010, 08:54 AM
I have been riding X2 for 14 years or so. Have them on all my bikes. Have no intention to try anything else. If it ain't broken don't fix it, in particular with pedals. Years ago I tried Time, Look and Shimano and quickly came back to X.

Zeros are probably very good as well but I have no first hand experience with them.

Volant
05-27-2010, 09:20 AM
I tore my patella tendon a while back. After healing up to the point I could ride again, I switched from Times to X2s and the knee finished healing fine. I've since only used the X2s and they work great for me. YMMV.

dogdriver
05-27-2010, 09:23 AM
Zeros for 5 years with no complaints. Appreciate the brainless engagement and easy out.

stickville
05-27-2010, 10:19 AM
Thanks for all of the replies.
I was fitted a few years ago by Smiley and the bike is still a Serotta, so it cannot be a fit/bike issue!
:)