PDA

View Full Version : Albany, New York car thieves......***FFF!

npla2112
05-26-2010, 11:27 AM
Last night some person/s stole the hood off of my 1992 Honda civic. Serioulsy folks ***? I live in downtown Albany with my wife and I am a stay at home Dad who was taking care of my 11/2 year old son at the time. The hassle I now have to go through to find a replacement has me more than aggrevated. Even the cop who took the report was shocked. Who does such a thing? Where does one find a hood? How the hell do I put the thing on? What a pain in the ass this is going to be? Anyone want to help?
What's wrong with people????
Nestor :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap: :crap:

sg8357
05-26-2010, 11:30 AM
Google knows all and is all powerful.

google carbon fiber civic hood 1992

http://www.visracing.com/newcatalog/Honda/Civic/1992-1995-Civic/Carbon-Fiber-Product-3400/Hood-3411/1992-1995-Honda-Civic-HB2dr-OEM-Carbon-Kevlar-Hood.html

false_Aest
05-26-2010, 11:43 AM
Sucks hommé,

Strange things get stolen sometimes:

My bud had his battery stolen. Next day it was returned to his normal parking spot with the metal connector post things missing.

I'd say check a salvage yard but the thieves probably checked that place first.

BumbleBeeDave
05-26-2010, 12:02 PM
. . . are often stolen to get specific parts which carry a high value on the used or salvage markets. I remember reading some story some years ago about Acura Integras being stolen so often for just a few parts, after which the cars were abandoned.

I would check local salvage dealers for a replacement--and to see if YOUR hood turned up there. Chances are a few well placed phone calls to the auto theft unit or officer at Albany PD would get you some info on which salvage yards would buy stuff like this if some kid walked in the door with it.

BBD

Ahneida Ride
05-26-2010, 12:06 PM
It is only going to get worse ...

Ken Robb
05-26-2010, 12:14 PM
the side moldings were stolen off my M3 a few years ago. I was told kids like to put them on their garden-variety 3 series cars to make them look like an M3.

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2010, 12:21 PM
Back in the day, somebody stole an 8 year old pair of Birkenstocks from me...sweaty, black crud coated, falling apart...just nasty sandles, but I loved them. They stole them from the seat up of my pick-up truck. I was livid. I would have rather they take the truck but leave the shoes.

dicks.

BumbleBeeDave
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
. . . because they made good bling necklaces for the local rap egos.

BBD

vqdriver
05-26-2010, 12:43 PM
when HID lights first came on the market, all manner of cars were getting their hoods busted to get to those lamps. depending on the 'skill' of the thief, you could see thousands of dollars of electrical and body damage so they can flip the parts for 200-300. jerks.

cmg
05-26-2010, 01:00 PM
had my 93 honda civic stolen last summer. recovered later that morning. seats, interior a/c equipment, radio, glove box, all interior gauges stolen. i rigged the ignition and drove the car home. all the connections to the stolen equipment was left intact. body guy came by to buy what was left said it stolen to finish some elses car. So look in the neighborhood for somebody with a newly painted hood.

Richard
05-26-2010, 01:01 PM
http://www.car-part.com/

Try this. Putting it on is not too hard. Helps to have someone holding while you align it.

keithreynolds
05-26-2010, 01:16 PM
http://www.autopartsearch.com/searchframe.cfm

hood is under front end parts. similar to link above, it sends out a blanket message to recyclers in your area.

Thieves will take anything. Including used hair clippers.

SEABREEZE
05-26-2010, 01:36 PM
4 YRS ago my son sold his rice better to one of his freinds.His buddy moved to Ft Lauderdale while the son was off to college in Orlando.

One day he recognized his car he sold to his buddy gasing up next to him, son puts call into his buddy,asking him if he sold the car, freind says no, it was just stolen out of mall parking lot.He tells buddy well I am looking at it being gased up. Son calls 911 then follows car to Garden apartment complex.
Continues to update cops of the location.

Large stolen car ring working from the apartments. Turns out there were many stolen cars in apartment complex parking lot

One for the good guys.What are the chances of this turning out as it did.Like the odds of the lottery.

Someone like you needed a hood but could not find one anywhere, or a ring stealing parts from things being ordered by others.

pjm
05-26-2010, 01:37 PM
the side moldings were stolen off my M3 a few years ago. I was told kids like to put them on their garden-variety 3 series cars to make them look like an M3.
This reminds me of a guy I once knew. He stopped at a rural watering hole on his way home one evening. When he came out to his car, he discovered his side moldings not being stolen, but being eaten....by a goat!

WickedWheels
05-26-2010, 10:13 PM
Don't feel bad. This was how I found my Civic 2 days before Christmas a few years ago when I was living in the Bronx (Riverdale). The wheels were stock Honda wheels with totally bald tires.

William
05-27-2010, 04:24 AM
One morning i came out to find my wife's Honda CRX had been broken into. It had nice after market tires and rims and apparently the locking lugs I had put on had prevented them from taking them. The only thing missing was the jack. When the officer showed up to check out the call, we found out that another CRX in the area had the wheels stolen....and the only left behind was the jack they lifted the car up with to get to the wheels......turned out to be our jack.

William

palincss
05-27-2010, 06:26 AM
Last night some person/s stole the hood off of my 1992 Honda civic. Serioulsy folks ***? I live in downtown Albany with my wife and I am a stay at home Dad who was taking care of my 11/2 year old son at the time. The hassle I now have to go through to find a replacement has me more than aggrevated. Even the cop who took the report was shocked. Who does such a thing? Where does one find a hood?

An automobile used parts recycler, aka "junk yard". I'd guess somebody's Civic was in an accident and they went looking for an even cheaper source of parts to fix it. If I recall correctly, aren't Hondas right at the top of the list of cars most frequently stolen? And that's for used parts, too.

Seott-e
05-27-2010, 07:12 AM
Get your check from your insurance company, then go to (or call) Clarkies in Saratoga. They are a junk yard / used parts seller, probably will have one.

npla2112
05-27-2010, 02:20 PM
Thanks you guys for the advice. I've located another hood and will pick it up tomorrow. The black hood will look nice on my white car with a red drivers side door! Time for a repaint.
BBD- I'm going to follow up with the Albany PD and hopefully hunt those fcukers down and smack 'em around. :no: :no:
Nestor

Seott-e
05-27-2010, 08:14 PM
Sweet, If you get a black trunk lid to go with it you can be one of the Geek-squad ! :D

BumbleBeeDave
05-27-2010, 08:58 PM
Thanks you guys for the advice. I've located another hood and will pick it up tomorrow. The black hood will look nice on my white car with a red drivers side door! Time for a repaint.
BBD- I'm going to follow up with the Albany PD and hopefully hunt those fcukers down and smack 'em around. :no: :no:
Nestor

. . . which salvage yards might be possibilities, then walk in there and play dumb--ask if they have a hood you can buy. It may end up being your own. Not sure how you would ID it, though . . . do parts like that have VIN's on them? sometimes crooks target specific parts of the car because they can't be traced.

BBD

tkbike
05-27-2010, 09:19 PM
Nestor

I work in Albany, I'll have to keep an eye out for your ride...it should be easy to spot!

hookookadoo
05-28-2010, 05:32 AM
Glad the Honda is on the road to recovery. That is a *** kind of situation. A few weeks ago I heard of something similar whereby the next door neighbor of one of my analysts would apparently rent cars under various aliases and take the cars back to their garage and strip off all the new parts and replace them with used parts(or no part at all) and then return the rental car. The parts were then sold presumably on ebay or some sort of black market. I think they eventually got busted. Amazing what people will do these days....

npla2112
05-28-2010, 11:21 AM
Glad the Honda is on the road to recovery. That is a *** kind of situation. A few weeks ago I heard of something similar whereby the next door neighbor of one of my analysts would apparently rent cars under various aliases and take the cars back to their garage and strip off all the new parts and replace them with used parts(or no part at all) and then return the rental car. The parts were then sold presumably on ebay or some sort of black market. I think they eventually got busted. Amazing what people will do these days....
Yes it's really amazing what people will do. I found the replacement hood for $75. Had these I caught these chuckleheads and pressed charges it probably would've cost them more then that not to mention spending the night behind bars with Big Bubba and his bitches. Part of me wants them to come back for a redux so I can make that a reality.
Nestor :rolleyes:

jischr
05-28-2010, 01:48 PM
I rode an MS-150 ride as part of a team supported by the local national football league team. The bike shorts were in the NFL team color with their name and logo. After the 100 mile ride I went to the shower trailer to clean up and discovered the shorts missing when I came out to get dressed. I can't imagine being so desperate for NFL logo'd items that I'd steal used shorts; but there it is.