PDA

View Full Version : How often do you ride?

93legendti
05-26-2010, 10:20 AM
When it's hot, like now, 6-7 days a week is the norm for me.

How about you?

fiamme red
05-26-2010, 10:23 AM
funny thread

Lifelover
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
Saturday - Lead one of the groups on the big local shop ride.

Sunday - Fat Tire ride. Solo 1/2 the time with a friend or 2 the other 1/2.

Monday - Lead a casual C/B group ride in the evening.

Tuesday-Friday - Hopefully at least one of the following. Ride with my 13 y/o, night time fat tire ride, mid week road ride with my other Gov't worker friends, or just go out a ride to the beach.

Ray
05-26-2010, 10:39 AM
I've always been more like 3-4 times per week on average. Occasionally more, occasionally less, but usually 3 or 4. More than that if you count just riding around town doing errands - that's pretty close to every day. But in terms of going out into the country for a couple hours or more, 3-4. The only thing that's change is the distances. I used to do a lot of 45-65 mile rides, several 70-85, and a few centuries each year. Now its a lot of 30-40 mile rides, several around 50, and one or two metrics. Haven't done a full century in a few years now and don't have any plans to start again.

-Ray

rugbysecondrow
05-26-2010, 11:57 AM
I have a 4 year old and an 8 month old, so 3-4 days a week if I am not traveling for work. I like to do other activities, so I actually workout 6 days a week doing strength training, running and swimming. I have an 8 mile route that is a great training route that I will do once, twice or three times depending on how much time I have after work.

I have been doing regularly
-one 30-40 mile ride
-one brick consisting of a 20 mile ride with a 3.5 mile run
-one 2-3 hour ride on either the road or MTB

I also have an interval workout I have been doing on the stationary bike at work, but that shouldn't count.

gone
05-26-2010, 12:00 PM
At least 5 days a week, year round. Distance anywhere from 20 (winter) to 120. I try to average 200 miles/week, more when the weather is good.

AngryScientist
05-26-2010, 01:09 PM
usually between 3 and 4 days a week, depending on the schedule. a few times during the work week, and at least one longer ride on the weekend.

looking forward to a few days off for memorial day weekend coming up, should be a great riding weekend here in the northeast.

flydhest
05-26-2010, 01:17 PM
Intervals two or three mornings (the sunrise in DC can be lovely) and usually both weekend days, either training ride or race.

All is dependent on the work schedule, which has messed up weekends many a time over the past couple of years.

Bob Ross
05-27-2010, 10:12 AM
Minimum 3, maximum 6, typically 5 (days/week)

Ti Designs
05-27-2010, 10:30 AM
Somewhere between not enough and way too much...

This week I took Monday off - that's not unusual for me. Then Tuesday I showed up on the 5:45am group ride, had a little fun with the fast kids, then did the 7:30 hill interval session with two riders on the women's team. Then I went to work, and when I got out there was enough day left for a tandem ride. We got back after dark, probably around 9:30ish. Yesterday I left my house at 6:00am for the hammer ride. I did fine, contesting most of the sprints and pushing the pace on the flats, but I totally ran out of gas on the last hill and rode home slower than old people go on comfort bikes with almost flat tires. The planned hill ride after the hammer ride turned into nap time, and today I'm sitting in front of a computer writting stupid stuff on internet forums...

There's another good ride tonight and I'll be back on the fixed gear on Friday morning, and a long one on Saturday...

kgreene10
05-27-2010, 11:35 AM
I used to ride everyday. Then I got a coach and now I ride 5 days a week, fewer hours than before, and I'm improving much faster. Here's a typical week:

Mon - off
Tues - local informal evening race or chip-timed TT
Wed - 1.5-2 hrs endurance ride
Thurs - local crit - 30 min race + warmup/cooldown
Fri - off
Sat - 2 hrs of intervals of some kind or USAC road race if scheduled
Sun - group ride, 3 hrs

I might not do the Th crit if the weekend race looks to be hard.

SamIAm
05-27-2010, 11:50 AM
Year round

Monday - Slow 20 miles with friends
Tuesday - Medium 20 miles with group
Wednesday - Off
Thursday - Fast 20 miles with group
Friday - Off
Saturday - Fast 40 miles with group
Sunday - Medium 30 miles with wife

djg
05-27-2010, 12:45 PM

How about you?

Just a couple of times. Most days. Rode to work this morning. I'll ride more on the way home. 6 days a week normally. Some variance -- might be 7, might be 5 (although I wouldn't be happy about 5).

fogrider
05-28-2010, 10:21 PM
2 lunch time rides during the week and long ride on sat.

anomaly
05-28-2010, 10:28 PM
4-5 days commuting at least 18 miles round trip, 80+ on saturday or velodrome or mtb and a shorter ride on Sunday

Dekonick
05-28-2010, 10:42 PM
Never enough. As of late, I seem to be running more because of lack of time. Once my kids are in school (full day - not pre k) I know there will be much more time to ride. Right now I am just glad to spend time with them, even if it means less time on the bike. :beer:

Love my kids... and hope one day they will love to ride bikes with me. Until that time, cycling has just taken a lower priority in my life. Important, but I know the bike will wait while my kids won't.

:beer:

93legendti
05-29-2010, 08:05 AM
Never enough. As of late, I seem to be running more because of lack of time. Once my kids are in school (full day - not pre k) I know there will be much more time to ride. Right now I am just glad to spend time with them, even if it means less time on the bike. :beer:

Love my kids... and hope one day they will love to ride bikes with me. Until that time, cycling has just taken a lower priority in my life. Important, but I know the bike will wait while my kids won't.

:beer:
I hear ya...in season and in a perfect world, I would ride everyday but Friday, with recovery rides on Monday and Wednesday, group rides on T, TH, Sat and Sun and interval sessions T and TH mornings.

But, there's rain outs and my kids' school activities are always T or Th evenings, as well as something on a T or Th at school. So I ride more often, but not always as long as I'd like.

I saw my 4 year old's karate demonstration in school Th. That was better than a ride.

sjbraun
05-29-2010, 08:11 AM
My kids are grown, so outside of work, I pretty much choose how I spend my time. I commute 15 miles to work 3-4 days a week and ride pretty much every Sat and Sun.
I feel better with one or two days off. I experimented with riding daily earlier this year, after 25 consecutive days, my legs needed a rest.

Steve-who needs to leave soon to make the 7 a.m. ride.

endosch2
05-29-2010, 08:19 AM
I ride about 3-4 times per week, april through september.

Here is the menu of group rides in the area (NH), we are lucky to have a very organized cycling community that offers everything you could ever want, we also have an awesome place to ride.

www.ridelist.com

xjoex
05-29-2010, 08:39 AM
I usually ride 6-7 days a week, when I don't travel for work.

Mon-Fri I commute, but I will tack on extra miles 2-3 times so I do not have to ride again when I get home!.

Weekend, long mtn rides.

In the winter, it drops down to 5x a week, I just can't get too motivated in the winter any more.

-Joe

boneman
05-29-2010, 11:30 PM
For the last 11+ years I've lived in areas where the lowest it gets if 32F/0C so I've ridden everyday. Mostly just to stay fit and because I enjoy riding although I no longer race. Even at 58, I'm still able to do my fair share at the front on most group rides and chase down most "rabbits" I see ahead when riding solo.

How about you?