PDA

View Full Version : Kentucky vacation and rides

PaMtbRider
05-25-2010, 05:14 PM
We would like to spend a week in July in Kentucky. We would like to do some biking, hiking, maybe sipping a little bourbon :banana: This will also be our first trip in our new travel trailer. Any recommendations on where to ride or something we shouldn't miss?

indyrider
05-25-2010, 06:12 PM
Any ride that ends at one of the distilleries is perfect. I suggest the back roads heading to the Woodford Reserve distillery near Frankfort. The roads are shaded by old growth giants and wind through race horse country...Absolutely stunning in my opinion.

Dont forget to take the tour at Woodford and just up the road is Buffalo Trace distillery where they offer a couple of diff tours. I suggest the "hard hat" which gets you back into the nitty gritty of the distillery. They also like to liquor you up in their tasting room after the tour! :beer:

Have fun!

srice
05-25-2010, 08:06 PM
OK, finally something I know about. Glenns Creek is a definite road to ride. It goes by the ruins of the Taylor and Crow distilleries before heading south towards Labrot and Graham (Woodford). Labrot and Graham is the most picturesque of the distilleries and definitely worth the tour. Even though Maker's isn't that good of a bourbon, their tour is also worth the trip. Now if you are going for the good stuff, you can't miss Buffalo Trace in Frankfort. The is the home to Pappy's, Blanton's, Eagle Rare and many other tasty treats. There are plenty of distilleries around Bardstown.

As far as riding, I am biased, but I feel that KY offers some of the best around. Plenty of low traffic back roads. The Louisville Bicycle Club has one of the most packed schedules around. We usually have a couple of centuries every weekend. Any idea as to when in July you plan to show up?

Steve

PaMtbRider
05-25-2010, 08:10 PM
Any idea as to when in July you plan to show up?

Steve
We plan to be there the week of July 19-23. Thanks for the info so far.

geowar
05-25-2010, 08:17 PM
Cycling in Kentucky is some of the best around. Check out the Blue Grass Cycling Club's(Lexington) web site for some ideas. Or, just come to Georgetown, Ky. this weekend for the Horsey Hundred on Saturday 5-29, or the metric Hundred on Sunday. Saturdays ride is through the famous Kentucky horse country, with lunch at Keenland Racecourse. You won't be disappointed.

srice
05-26-2010, 06:50 AM
Show up on the 17th and ride my last brevet of the year. It is a 300K starting from Georgetown which includes the infamous Cobb Hill.

Steve Rice
KY RBA

SEABREEZE
05-26-2010, 07:27 AM
Not to put a damper on this thread,caught a segment how this one county in Kentucjy ,at one time or another just about every person from a family has been locked up for pill popin and crimes around it to continue there pill popin habbit.

Dont want to see any bicyclist on vacation from another state not be aware of this, and have there bikes stolen.

srice
05-26-2010, 11:33 AM
Show me any state in the Union where there isn't an entire family involved in drugs or crime to finance their drug habit. It just isn't Kenyucjy (sic). Hey SEABREEZE, have you ever ridden a bike here or even visited?

Keith A
05-26-2010, 03:38 PM
Where in Kentucky are you planning on going?

joelh
05-26-2010, 04:32 PM
Do the Bourbon Trail! Did it last year and had a ball. My favorite stops were Woodford Reserve, Makers Mark and my very favorite, Buffalo Trace. I am now a big Rip Van Winkle fan after that stop :)

SEABREEZE
05-26-2010, 05:16 PM
Show me any state in the Union where there isn't an entire family involved in drugs or crime to finance their drug habit. It just isn't Kenyucjy (sic). Hey SEABREEZE, have you ever ridden a bike here or even visited?

RICE, I wasnt try to put down Kentucky, as a matter of fact it sounds like a wonderful place to ride in the distilleries district.

There was a head sheriffi of unfortunately I dont rememer the name of the county, who requested hep from all the federal agencies, to help with with what he called a pill epidemic.Actually the sherriff was geniune to help the folks in his community.This guy really carred.Personaly it was impressive. Everyone he or his team of sherriffs would arrest they had bottles dispensed from south florida.

The segment I caught was on pain clinics in south florida and the laws that allow them to operate. They showed folks coming from all over the country particullary this county in Kentucky.
They make regularly scheduled trips every day according to law to get there allocated amount allowed ,spend $500 and hustle back to there state and sell the lot for $5000.00. Because its totally legal to buy in south florida.

Sorry you took it the wrong way, wasnt trying to put down Kentucky, I guess thats what I get for trying to be helpful to out of state visitors to bring awarness. After all thats what you would expect from a major city, but not a rural area where country folk live.

" Show me any state in the Union where there isn't an entire family involved in drugs or crime to finance their drug habit " There are always exceptions due to education,literacy and disfunctional parents.

PaMtbRider
05-26-2010, 06:27 PM
Where in Kentucky are you planning on going?
Our plans really aren't set yet but we were thinking the riding in the horse farm country around Lexington would be good. I am not really a bourbon drinker but I thought while we were in that area we should take advantage of it. Open to any suggestions for other parts of the state.

srice
05-26-2010, 08:33 PM
It sounds like you may be heading to the Lexington area. The KY river creates an effective barrier between the Louisville and Lexington riding areas. There are only a few places to cross the river - Carrolton, Gratz, Frankfort and Tyrone. If you do make it to the Louisville side, check out www.kybikerides.org - plenty of great rides on that site.