PDA

View Full Version : eyeglass wearers

vqdriver
05-25-2010, 05:05 PM
what do you use on the bike?

loewer
05-25-2010, 05:09 PM
Rudy Projects from Sports Optical, with stick-on bifocals to read the bike computer...

palincss
05-25-2010, 05:24 PM
Ray Ban aviators, one pair clear, one pair tinted. Both pairs are bifocals.

snah
05-25-2010, 05:28 PM
Use my everyday Oakleys with transition lenses.

eddief
05-25-2010, 05:39 PM
good for my purposes.

echelon_john
05-25-2010, 06:00 PM
contacts usually.

ordering a pair of smiths from sports optical--high hopes. they seem to be really on the ball. they handmake all their lenses in house and can accommodate much stronger prescriptions (in my case a -5.5) in wraparound frames than is commonly found.

give them a look.

jumpjube
05-25-2010, 06:46 PM
Also from Sports Optical, a class act.
Mine are progressives. Love the frame & lenses.

T-Crush
05-25-2010, 07:05 PM
Rudy Project Tayo when clear lenses are called for and Oakley M Frames the rest of the time.

chuckroast
05-25-2010, 07:13 PM
Clip on sunglasses over my normal progressives....just like when I drive.

znfdl
05-25-2010, 07:19 PM
Lasik, best thing I ever did......

vqdriver
05-25-2010, 07:37 PM
my prescription (-7.5) is too severe for the sports opt route. even if they could do it, it would look ridiculously thick with the exposed sides.

i've been considering rx inserts with transitions lenses, but i don't think they react fast enough for riding. any experience with these???

as for lasik, i'll get it when the ophthalmologists get it.

pbbob
05-25-2010, 08:15 PM
my everyday glasses with progressive transition lenses.

JumpStart
05-25-2010, 08:23 PM
Contacts with tifosi's and a set of readers in my pocket, or my everyday progressive eyeglasses. I owned transitions once, but they didn't get very dark in the heat or inside my car.

rounder
05-25-2010, 09:48 PM

I work with two guys who went through Lasik and now have better than 20-20 vision with no problems. I spoke to my eye doctor and was told that, for me, i would probably have glare problems at night, if i had the surgery. Did you know in advance that everything would go ok.

rdparadise
05-25-2010, 09:50 PM

Here, here, Justin. Same for me. :cool:

Bob

Blue Jays
05-25-2010, 10:10 PM
One pair has dark copper-colored lenses for bright and sunny skies.
Other pair has pale yellow lenses for night, very cloudy, or rain use.
Both are prescription and built to Rx specifications by Rudy.

Charles M
05-25-2010, 10:17 PM
Seems like every month or so I have to say Sports Optical...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/solarge.jpg

Reasons why...

CLICKY HERE...Y (http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=7985)

goblue
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
Maui Jim Prescription "Shoreline" model...with polarized copper colored lens...Looks great (from what I have been told) and works well in all lighting conditions.

dekindy
05-25-2010, 10:33 PM
I almost went the Sports Optical route. However it was more expensive for one pair of lenses and much more expensive for two pair of lenses.

Instead I ordered the Gasket model from Liquid Eyewear. The frame is a hingless design made from aircraft aluminum so it is more durable. They have a unique insert design that will accomodate a 8-base wrap and a progressive prescription. I have a -3 cylinder so my options are limited but they can do it for the standard price. Stronger prescriptions are available and can be quoted. Since the external lens is a regular lens I can get a second, clear lens for night riding. Total shipped price for frames, two lenses, two lens inserts, and shipping was $471.

I have the frames and they are what I expected but I have not worn them riding yet. The prescription lenses were ordered last Thursday so it will be next week before I have them and can give a full report.

http://www.liquidpolarized.com/store/detail.html?style_id=3

They have several models and would be a good choice even if I did not need them for their unique insert and strong prescription capability, ATMO.

PBWrench
05-25-2010, 10:43 PM
Rudy from Sports Optical. Never looked back. Pun intended, sorry.

Louis
05-25-2010, 11:01 PM
my prescription (-7.5) is too severe for the sports opt route. even if they could do it, it would look ridiculously thick with the exposed sides.

I'm -10 and have a pair of Bolle's with inserts. Not the best option (gunk on the inside of the lenses is the biggest problem, but Halo head bands have helped a lot with that) but overall I'm pretty happy. When they eventually have to be replaced I'm thinking Rudy Project RB-3

kramnnim
05-25-2010, 11:16 PM
I work with two guys who went through Lasik and now have better than 20-20 vision with no problems. I spoke to my eye doctor and was told that, for me, i would probably have glare problems at night, if i had the surgery. Did you know in advance that everything would go ok.

I was told that my eyes were "ideal" candidates for LASIK. It's been 4 months since my surgery, and I still have some halos around lights at night, but it's worth it...I don't drive much at night, anyway.

boneman
05-26-2010, 10:10 AM
If your diopter is over -3.0 and/or your cylinder is over 2.0, your options for in frame are extremely limited and that includes Sports Optical. If you're over -6.0 on the diopter, it's really limited as it relates to sports type frames. Inserts are an option although I've owned them. While they work, they have their own issues as another poster mentioned. Lasik is always an option but not for me. I'm -6.25 diopter in one eye and -5.5 in the other although my cylinder is under 2.0. Ended up with Rudy Horus by Sports Rx in California. We'll see, still waiting for their arrival. Had two pair, one clear and and one polarized made by Optlilabs in the UK when I lived in London about 8 or 9 years ago with lined bifocals and they've been great with decent protection.

what do you use on the bike?

zap
05-26-2010, 10:47 AM
Use my everyday Oakleys with transition lenses.

I was looking at transition lenses then the optician informed me that the lenses need to be replaced at least every two years.

So far this year I've been wearing Maui Jim (not liking the polarized lenses either) but thinking of going back to contacts. I find that I need to take my glasses of regularly to wipe sweat off so being able to see on 50+mph downhills is important.

Charles M
05-26-2010, 10:59 AM
If your diopter is over -3.0 and/or your cylinder is over 2.0, your options for in frame are extremely limited and that includes Sports Optical. If you're over -6.0 on the diopter, it's really limited as it relates to sports type frames. Inserts are an option although I've owned them. While they work, they have their own issues as another poster mentioned. Lasik is always an option but not for me. I'm -6.25 diopter in one eye and -5.5 in the other although my cylinder is under 2.0. Ended up with Rudy Horus by Sports Rx in California. We'll see, still waiting for their arrival. Had two pair, one clear and and one polarized made by Optlilabs in the UK when I lived in London about 8 or 9 years ago with lined bifocals and they've been great with decent protection.

Not sure what qualifies as "in frame" but I've never been a fan of blocked vision versus open sports styles, but that's not to say others don't prefer one style over another.

That said, Sports Optical does up to -11 for direct lenses...

Insert type lenses go up to -15.

So far nobody posting is near these (one of the guys I work with)...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/so10steph.jpg

The capacity at Sports Optical has changed in the last little while...

Blue Jays
05-26-2010, 12:22 PM
"...with polarized copper colored lens..."Be cautious with polarized lenses. Polarization eliminates the sheen from ice on a cold roadway.
This is precisely why skiing lenses are NOT polarized because skiers wish to see surface differences.
Cyclists who ride in cold weather will also wish to have that capability.
Polarization also renders some cyclocomputer screens and wristwatches as solid black.

boneman
05-26-2010, 07:40 PM
In frame = direct. I may have seen that pair at Pez or from another of your posts.

As I said, you get limited choices and it's all about trade-offs usually regarding distortion and useable PD, also if you want progressive's. I'm not currently living in the States but surisingly, I couldn't get anyone in Singapore to grind the lenses.

Went with Sports Rx as they were the first to reply with a qualified answer. Easier to do this sort of thing if you're in the US but being 12 hours ahead of EST, 9 for PST, it's mainly by email. I have enough stupid business calls with the States as it is....I'm sure at some point I'll give Sports Optical a go. Man, -11, I would be thinking about Lasik at that point....

Not sure what qualifies as "in frame" but I've never been a fan of blocked vision versus open sports styles, but that's not to say others don't prefer one style over another.

That said, Sports Optical does up to -11 for direct lenses...

Insert type lenses go up to -15.

So far nobody posting is near these (one of the guys I work with)...

http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/photos/tech/sportsoptic/so10steph.jpg

The capacity at Sports Optical has changed in the last little while...

dekindy
05-26-2010, 07:42 PM

I was seriously considering the Rudy Horus option proposed by Sport Rx. I discussed this vendor with my local optician office and they learned from Rudy Project that RP was not grinding the lenses for prescriptions as strong as mine, -3 cylinder, so the lenses would not be coming from RP and there did not appear to be a guarantee. For this reason I decided not to purchase from Sport Rx. Sport Rx has a good reputation so I am wondering if I made the right decision.

Louis
05-26-2010, 07:45 PM
Man, -11, I would be thinking about Lasik at that point....

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure my opthalmologist (sp?) (who now does Lasik full time) said that for very strong corrections like mine (-10) the likelihood of a perfect or very good outcome is not that high. He said he could bring me down to something a lot less than -10, but no promises on 20/20. I concluded that if I'm going to have to wear glasses or contacts anyway, I might as well not chance the surgery. He agreed that that was a reasonable approach.

Louis

boneman
05-26-2010, 09:40 PM
But the point would be to get your vision down to a lower diopter so that the lense thickness is less. Even with a high index type lense, you will end up having a thinner lense which is less heavy and optically clearer.

I may be wrong, but I'm pretty sure my opthalmologist (sp?) (who now does Lasik full time) said that for very strong corrections like mine (-10) the likelihood of a perfect or very good outcome is not that high. He said he could bring me down to something a lot less than -10, but no promises on 20/20. I concluded that if I'm going to have to wear glasses or contacts anyway, I might as well not chance the surgery. He agreed that that was a reasonable approach.

Louis

boneman
05-26-2010, 09:48 PM
I went with the Horus option, -6.25 and -5.50, both cylinders under -1.5, no-line bifocal (not true progressive). They said there might be some slight distortion over -6.0, but we shall see. The distortion is inevitable with the grind and curved, albeit slightly, lenses. It's a question of how much, what type and where. As PezTech notes, there are a few providers out there that will grind beyond -6.0 but OEM's such as Oakley, RP, Bolle, etc. all hold the line at -3.0 as that's what they can offer without having to deal with distortion issues. This does not include inserts or frames where the lenses is basically flat and there, going over -6.0 is not an issue. There are also some frames where the OEM lense is curved but the custom optician can grind a lense using a base blank that is flatter than the OEM lense and hence, can do a more aggressive grind.

I was seriously considering the Rudy Horus option proposed by Sport Rx. I discussed this vendor with my local optician office and they learned from Rudy Project that RP was not grinding the lenses for prescriptions as strong as mine, -3 cylinder, so the lenses would not be coming from RP and there did not appear to be a guarantee. For this reason I decided not to purchase from Sport Rx. Sport Rx has a good reputation so I am wondering if I made the right decision.

Lucky Jack
05-27-2010, 06:02 AM
Oakley M-frames with lenses made by Oakley. I've found their optics to not only be fantastic but also very durable. Wear Jacknife's for daily wear and a pair of Whiskers for my regular sunglasses. Great products !